Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Sep 20, 2020
That said, I would prefer an ILC rangefinder - but I understand a fixed lens camera is easier to design and doesn't require its own lenses to support it, since it would be a nonsense to have a more compact camera and then only bulky RF lenses to mount.
A fixed lens rangefinder OVF is most certainly easier to design.
With an EVF or no VF then it should not make much of a difference.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Powershots are not dead.
They have just gotten weird.
Powershot Pick, Zoom, V10, etc.
For someone wanting a small, jacket pocketable camera capable of really high quality output I can’t recommend the G1Xiii highly enough. It gets zero love here on CR, I guess because it has quite a slow lens relative to dof, which seems to be how it’s judged in many reviews, but it’s a delight to use with a superb ergonomic grip for such a tiny camera, a lovely quiet leaf shutter, built in optical ND filter, etc etc.
I have one of the custom settings to move straight to 35mm (equivalent) at start up, so it’s not much slower than a fixed focal length camera such as the X100v, but I have the options to change that focal length of course, or change the start up focal length. Also, at the same apertures it has even better resolution than the Fuji but not at wider apertures that the Canon doesn’t have.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I hate retro. There's a reason we move on to the modern "ugly" ergonomic superior designs.

Those who love retro usually use the camera as props to shoot Instagram/tiktok.

Fuji X100VI is raising over 2500 USD-equivalent in Hong Kong... Seriously with this price might as well buy a Leica.
Had a retro camera for a short while. Ergonomics were terrible and the retro dials were a hassle. Went right back to Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018
For someone wanting a small, jacket pocketable camera capable of really high quality output I can’t recommend the G1Xiii highly enough. It gets zero love here on CR, I guess because it has quite a slow lens relative to dof, which seems to be how it’s judged in many reviews, but it’s a delight to use with a superb ergonomic grip for such a tiny camera, a lovely quiet leaf shutter, built in optical ND filter, etc etc.
I have one of the custom settings to move straight to 35mm (equivalent) at start up, so it’s not much slower than a fixed focal length camera such as the X100v, but I have the options to change that focal length of course, or change the start up focal length. Also, at the same apertures it has even better resolution than the Fuji but not at wider apertures that the Canon doesn’t have.
G1X III: :love::love::love:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Can you help me understand why a Leica M has better ergonomics that current (reasonably sized) Canon bodies which are all relatively similar in design?
Surely if that is the case, why then wouldn't Canon offer this option on a permanent basis?
Show me another camera that's been set up like this: you have fully mechanical (tactile) aperture and focus controls on the lens, a shutter speed dial and also an easily adjustable ISO from the menu (some models have an ISO dial, haven't tried that but not a big fan)
Just like a film rangefinder, except no need to change film for a different ISO.
(But film has a huge advantage of seamlessly switching between color and BW, while for digital, one needs to get another super expensive Leica M body to do that "properly" in a far less convenient manner, Yes, I know Zf has that switch - but the level of intention is just not comparable.)

As far as using a camera with all the modern AF and video features, I think Canon is best - specifically the R5. R3 is too big, all the rest are crippled with regards to selecting (filtering) modes or seamlessly jumping between photo and video.
But it is still a much more computer-like modern (technical, far less tactile but arguably more capable) experience, so not really comparable.

I have an RX1RII right now, brilliant form factor making me forgive the battery, but I am forced to rely on its older semi-automated technology, making it fiddly to use. With proper manual focus and a shutter speed dial, it would be way more fun.

I might try to replace it with an R8 eventually, where the automation is up to today's standards, but it also has its own quirks.
I do have some rangefinder lenses to replicate a bit of those ergonomics, but they don't tend to like Canon sensors.
I could also go back to an RF 35/1.8, very much comparable to the Zeiss 35/2 regarding sharpness or distortion, but the rendering is less pleasing.
And of course I would use it for video as well, where the battery could become an issue, and it's much more powerful abilities pose a strange problem, I wouldn't be as focused on doing one single thing with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Show me another camera that's been set up like this: you have fully mechanical (tactile) aperture and focus controls on the lens, a shutter speed dial and also an easily adjustable ISO from the menu (some models have an ISO dial, haven't tried that but not a big fan)
EOS R5 with whatever "fully mechanical" lens fitting your description?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
EOS R5 with whatever "fully mechanical" lens fitting your description?
Absolutely not, I would even say that it is its main weakness for me.
Because it is very unfriendly to manually focus properly (it's mostly software, but they won't fix it...).
Magnification is slow and dim-witted.
I need to change multiple modes to make sure the IBIS is at the correct focal length setting. (one less thing to worry about on an R8)
Etc. etc.
Of course it works, but Canon really wants people to use EF or RF lenses with it.
It's never going to be tactile to the point where you feel you are "bonding" with the camera, rather than fighting it.

Leica SL2 had a much nicer viewfinder and much better sensor performance with vintage lenses, but the experience is still not Leica M-like.
(Definitely much better than an R5, but otherwise I think Canon designed a much more powerful mirrorless camera - that is also smaller, lighter, etc. that would be a different rant.)

I am pretty sure manufacturers are deliberately making mirrorless cameras more painful to use with old lenses in order to steer users towards the new ones...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
They would make one if they knew what’s good for them. Mfs on here complaining about retro cameras lol! The X100V has been sold out for 4 years.
Sure, sure…because demand is unrelated to supply, and it’s not like Canon sells 8 times as many cameras as Fuji or anything like that.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Just like a film rangefinder, except no need to change film for a different ISO.
(But film has a huge advantage of seamlessly switching between color and BW, while for digital, one needs to get another super expensive Leica M body to do that "properly" in a far less convenient manner, Yes, I know Zf has that switch - but the level of intention is just not comparable.)
You forget the main purpose for today's Leica M series: they are luxury gadgets. I see in Frankfurt frequently e.g. wealthy Chinese tourists who have their fresh 10k € cameras from the local Leica store hanging from their necks and taking videos with their smartphones. So, like a rich lady who loves to change their Hermès bags from day to day, you could change between your Leicas in front of your belly, from a M Monochrom to a M that could do colors - or a vintage M, if you have the money.

But I am with you regarding rangefinder cameras. I frequently use a New Mamiya 6 and one of my Canon 7's, and I love the simplicity of taking images with them. No extended menu, just a manual focus ring, aperture ring, an exposure time dial and a shutter release button and very few additional features like an ISO dial integrated in the time dial. The Mamiya has additionally an exposure comp lever. That's it - and... click :giggle:

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
You forget the main purpose for today's Leica M series: they are luxury gadgets. I see in Frankfurt frequently e.g. wealthy Chinese tourists who have their fresh 10k € cameras from the local Leica store hanging from their necks and taking videos with their smartphones. So, like a rich lady who loves to change their Hermès bags from day to day, you could change between your Leicas in front of your belly, from a M Monochrom to a M that could do colors - or a vintage M, if you have the money.

But I am with you regarding rangefinder cameras. I frequently use a New Mamiya 6 and one of my Canon 7's, and I love the simplicity of taking images with them. No extended menu, just a manual focus ring, aperture ring, an exposure time dial and a shutter release button and very few additional features like an ISO dial integrated in the time dial. The Mamiya has additionally an exposure comp lever. That's it - and... click :giggle:
I get utterly shocked when I see street photographers with expensive Leica cameras.
I can only assume that it is more of a hobby than a profession.
Either that or I am doing something very wrong.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
They would make one if they knew what’s good for them. Mfs on here complaining about retro cameras lol! The X100V has been sold out for 4 years.
What I really like about Canon's move to the RF mount: finally they said good-bye to those inflationary "X" camera names. Only Elon Musk was a little late for the X game...

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I get utterly shocked when I see street photographers with expensive Leica cameras.
I can only assume that it is more of a hobby than a profession.
Either that or I am doing something very wrong.
Most dedicated street photographers are amateurs, I guess, it is nearly impossible to make a living out of that. The times of Henri Cartier-Bresson are definitely over. Plus, in many countries you can't just shoot street scenes w/o asking people for permission anymore. But if you have to do that, the situation that was worth an image, is over, and people start to pose. The soul of street photography was always that people weren't aware that they have been photographed that particular moment, with wonderful results when it worked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Obviously, there were reasons why Fuji once stopped production. If they made real money with that camera, I am pretty sure they wouldn't have let production run out back then.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012

They are called Veblen Goods - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Upvote 0