Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been working hard trying to piece together a Canon roadmap for 2020 in regards to camera bodies, and we think we have most of it figured out. The following information comes from a few different sources and is mixed with a little bit of common-sense.
This roadmap is only for full-frame ILC cameras, we have no information on new PowerShot or EOS M camera bodies.
We have been told that Canon will release four new full-frame cameras in 2020, and we’re pretty certain about three of them.
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
This has already been announced and will begin shipping in the middle of February. You should preorder two of them.
Canon EOS Rs (unofficial name)
This has long been rumored as the next EOS R camera body, and we think there will be a good chance that it is in February ahead of CP+. It’s also possible this gets announced in May.

Canon EOS Rm (unofficial name)
Apparently we’re going to see a body even more...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
I know some people here think we're bemoaning the fact that Canon isn't doing exactly what the various parties here want in a camera. But I don't think we're being unreasonable when we ask for a pro-series body that isn't video-focused, since most here are photographers, and for a 7Dii update (whether R series or not). The 1Dx iii is a lovely camera with some interesting video features, but doesn't appear to be much more than a 'side-grade' in photography terms, as opposed to a true upgrade. The 90d is not even in the same league as the 7Dii and is a downgrade in other areas. The 5DV doesn't exist, and apparently is not going to anytime soon. I don't get why Canon wouldn't satisfy bird/sport photographers, with an R series body (or otherwise) and show us what the technology is capable of. Do a 5Dr at the same time for pro-shooters. If they put out a 500 or 600 with a 7Dr I'd buy it tomorrow.

Maybe the A7S equivalent is a sort-of answer to some of that?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
While I'm waiting for my 1DX Mark III preorder to be processed, the next camera I would like is a EOS-1FX Mark III, for film. I would love to have the updated AF (head/eye), increased coverage focus points, metering, etc. into a fast 35mm film camera.
Is there a market for such a thing? Of course there is still a market for film, albeit much reduced and perhaps about the same size as that of the specialized Leica "M Monochrom". But still, some small market.

I do, however, think the future of stills capture is video... Full raw video capture at your chosen frame rate from which you can select the best frame that captures the moment. Mind you, this doesn't mean continuous video capture for hours on end; its you, the photographer, pressing the shutter button while the interesting thing occurs. Then afterwards, you pick out the individual frame(s) you want, which are in the same resolution and quality as if you had captured it as a still. A millisecond in facial expressions, in sports action, etc. can make the difference between a good shot and a great shot. You get that flexibility with video capture.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi all, I know we are here under speculation BUT let's see if my thinking is correct. I currently have couple of EF canon lenses that I have been using in the past years along my old EOS 5D Mark II. Now that camera is broken and I am looking for a good substitute!

2 options but do not know which one will be real and release sooner:

1. to buy a dsrl 5D Mark IV update (ie. 5D mark V? or whatever will be named.

or

1b. to buy a mirrorless eos RS (or whenever is called).

The RF lenses looks quite superior to the previous EF series and since I have just couple of EF left I could sell them and move only to RF lenses.... Or stay on the safe side, do not go for RF, keep the EF, buy a 5D Mark IV now and.... do not care about near coming/rumors?

I can wait 6 months. If anyome is in my situation and prefer to shoot as semi-pro mainly landscape, event and picture while I go travel/tourist trips, what solution you would suggest to go?

TIA.
Puffo

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Or stay on the safe side, do not go for RF, keep the EF, buy a 5D Mark IV now and.... do not care about near coming/rumors?
Proven, will last for years, will be a nice complement when you do , if you do move to the RF system. Except for those who spend countless hours on GAS and spec sheets, the 5D4 is a remarkable camera, esp for wedding and event shooters. Can't go wrong.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Will this supposed EOS Rm be full-frame? A $699 or $799 MSRP for a full-frame camera would be quite impressive, even if Canon recycle the 6D II sensor used in the RP. I would assume such a model would have to forego any EVF and probably replace the articulating screen with a smaller tilt screen. Visions of a slightly enlarged EOS M6 come to mind.

Upvote 0
If Canon is releasing 4 full frame bodies, I would expect one of them to be a 5DV. Canon has consistently released these bodies between 3 and 4 years apart, and the 5D IV was Announced in August 2016, which would line up well for a summer or fall announcement this year. Unless Canon has a transition pathway for 5DIV users to a comparable and new R series body, I would definitely expect a 5DV to be announced this year.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
I read a lot of people bemoaning the higher MP version of an R, but as a 5DIV shooter (landscape) I'm not quite sure what else you would do as a mirroless replacement for that. The R already has the resolution of the 5DIV, and for landscape shooting I suspect the biggest gripe is one card slot (which I didn't have till I got the IV anyway). For me personally higher MP and equal or better dynamic range is what I would be looking for in a landscape body.

I realize perspectives may be different if you're shooting other subjects, but there are a lot of nature/landscape shooters out there, and many of them would opt for more resolution if the performance of the resulting smaller pixels can be up to the level we see in the 5DIV. Judging by the M6 Mark II which I also have and love, I think that possibility is real.

I guess we will know soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
I think the biggest element of this rumor is the fact that Canon R strategy may be specialized bodies. Could this mean the death of the 5D series, and the elimination of any hope of a similar spec'd body for the R system?

The more I think about it, the more it seems plausible. The 5D only recently (5D3) became an all arounder. It started out as a budget FF, then the 5D2 made it a high res body more than anything.

Guess we'll have to buy 2 bodies to get everything we want, and if you were Canon wouldn't that be what you want?

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Time for Tom's prediction. As always, worth a maximum of 2 cents:

1 5-series body at around 32 mpx, with a new sensor, shared with one new R-series body. They will be introduced together, much like the 90D and M6 II were. This will be the 5-level R body and will present 5D4 users with an option to stay in the DSLR world or move to the mirrorless world. The new sensor will be cleaner, the camera will have speed and will be able to do 4K using the full frame. Maybe IBIS, maybe not. 8 FPS with mirror on the 5, 12-15 in live view.

A high-MPX R body, much like the "5-series" body in terms of size/shape, but with lower FPS as a result of the extremely high number of pixels. IBIS on this one.

Also, not mentioned, a new 7D III, utilizing the sensor technology from the 90D. A crop body, of course, expect it to come out along with an M5 II mirrorless. Perhaps IBIS in the mirrorless version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oh my ... 4 Canon cameras wedding photogs have no need for and no 5DV equivalent. If Canon thinks, that we want to move to the high megapixel nonsense, then they are pretty much wrong. And btw - high speed sports body with low megapixels has absolutly no sense. There is already 1DX III with low-enough resolution, and lower than 20mpx will surely not make 7D II followers happy.

What I also wonder is - if there is any truth to the EOS Rm, which would cost cca 800 USD, is there really still a future for the EOS-M cameras, apart from its relatively smaller bodies and lens?
I want high mpix and a low light sports/ video based mirrorless. And no one cares about 7dmkii users, they are not real people.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The super affordable full frame RF camera... It's literally just a full frame sensor hooked up to a battery and a memory card. You have to keep in a dark fabric bag and quickly and carefully wave it behind a lens whenever you want to take a photo. It will be $300 and budget conscious shooters will rejoice. Tony Northrup will spend hours geeking out over this revolutionary new way to take photos. People waiting for a higher end mirrorless will be severely disappointed.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
It would be nice to see a 5D4 alongside two new ml bodies. Options and choices are great for everyone, even if you don't get exactly what you want, because, when have we ever? It's always choosing the best feature set at the best price point for the job and genre. At this point we are moving towards more 'better' choices than ever before for Canon.

Upvote 0
Literally every comment is a moan..
Hahaha it really is. It makes me giggle. They all complain but they will still buy. Sony made a a7s2 a while ago and haven’t replaced it cause it sells canon knows they need to go after that market as well as the high pixel market. People on here bitch about to low of pixels and too many pixels. They complain about one card slot and they complain about cost, it’s like they don’t even go out and play with their toys that are so capable of doing more than they know what to do with but they feel the need to sound like democrats and republicans. If your camera only has one card slot, but a bigger memory card, if files are to big buy a better computer or more storage. Hey now I sound like everyone on this forum.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0