Another EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS III Mention [CR2]

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
privatebydesign said:
As has already been suggested, I strongly expect the main reason is economies in manufacturering, Canon have stated they are moving to fully automated lens manufacture and that could provide great cost savings over the production life of the lens and quite possibly reductions in sample variation.

The MkII lens was designed before the current series of automated manufacturing equipment and it is a good seller, it makes sense to make a redesign that can be automated.

Personally I’d prefer a less sharp lens that has the much smoother bokeh of the IS MkI, but I know I won’t get it so I’ll stick with my old MkI.

nor will you get a lower price though production costs are reduced. Too bad

Upvote 0
I use the 70-200 2.8L IS II and the 100-400L2, so I could see how there's room for improvement. Little improvements, sure, because this lens is already great. IS equal to the 100-400L2 would be great. I like the color the 100-400L2 captures a bit more, but that's just personal preference and it's not a huge difference. A new lens hood with the filter adjustment slot is a minor change that makes a big difference when needed. I'm sure 50MP shooters would appreciate a boost in sharpness and clarity.

But at the end of the day, it's just a smart financial move for Canon. This is a standard kit lens for a lot of pro lifestyle/portrait shooters. Might be the most common lens I see attached to other shooters on the job if they use Canon. Also see it quite a bit in behind the scenes photos and videos. So they're giving all those customers something new to buy. I'm the first to admit it'll work on me, because this lens is a money maker. So I'm looking forward to it if it happens.

Upvote 0
ethanz said:
privatebydesign said:
Personally I’d prefer a less sharp lens that has the much smoother bokeh of the IS MkI, but I know I won’t get it so I’ll stick with my old MkI.

Could you please show me some examples of the difference in bokeh between I and II? I'm curious.
I'd be very interested to see an overall bokeh comparison between all 70-200/2.8L lenses! :)

But why upgrade the current 70-200/2.8L before the legendary 135/2L ?
Many people are missing IS for this lens and the CA could be lower.
Add the apodization filter, but keep the bokeh magical!
Somewhat more sharpness would be welcome for me, but not for the cost of bokeh quality. (like Sigma did @135/1.8 Art)

If Canon comes up with an 70-200/2L IS - that could imo change the game.
Can't say I would be excited to see a 70-200/2.8L III...I see many lenses that need and deserve an upgrade before the current 70-200/2.8L!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Rowk said:
But why upgrade the current 70-200/2.8L before the legendary 135/2L ?
Many people are missing IS for this lens and the CA could be lower.

That's an easy one. If Canon only worked on the oldest lenses with the most room for improvement, I'd have an EF 50 f/1.4 USM II by now. 8)

I think it's all about the numbers: I presume there are orders of magnitude more f/2.8 zooms out there than there are are 135Ls, and that's (one of many reasons) why they are updated much more often.

- A

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The Mark 2 won't go down in price THAT much to incite a sales rush for those on the fence, it might mean more in the refurb store at a better price point though.

I love seeing all the different camps appearing here, the two biggest are the usual suspects:
1. It needs improving (but keep the price reasonable)
2. It doesn't need improving(My Mk 2 copy is flawless)
3 (Green Party) The plastics are out of date

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
ethanz said:
privatebydesign said:

Could you please show me some examples of the difference in bokeh between I and II? I'm curious.

Sure.

Below are four edited images from the first page of the 70-200 f2.8 IS MkII thread here on this site, I have marked the areas I find distracting. http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=819.0

Now I'm not saying this kind of thing never happens with the MkI, it does, but it happens a lot less often; and whilst there is no doubt the MkII is sharper than the MkI I, personally, find this kind of hard background pattern extremely distracting.

There are very few images on the board here for the MkI lens but look here and tell me how many images you see with the same kind of distracting background elements? I don't see any on the first half a dozen pages. https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/canonef70200f28isusm/page2

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 113
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg