Canon EOS 7D Mark III Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Maybe I'm just lucky. I use my 2013 vintage Apple Mac Pro with 16GB ram to edit 50mpx 5DSR and 40mpx A7RII files in Lightroom and Photoshop and I don't really find any real issues with performance. Yes, working with the 24mpx files from my M5 is faster, but not so much that I pay any attention to it.

Now, if we start throwing 100+ megapixel files around, that could be different.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon EOS 7D Mark II Coming First Half of 2018 [CR2]

9VIII said:
scyrene said:
As for file sizes, that's one reasonable argument against higher res sensors (for now), although the cost of storage continues to drop as it has for decades.

Actually there's a global shortage of Flash memory right now, and HDD's have been the same price since 2010 because everyone knows it's practically a dead technology, 10TB is probably the biggest mechanical Hard Drive that will ever be on the market (at least without using stripped recording which drastically reduces write performance).

I'd be really interested if you have links/data on the emboldened bit. My personal (obviously anecdotal) experience is that HD prices per GB have fallen a bit in the past few years; I'm happy to be proven wrong (although a preliminary Google search doesn't bring up results that back your assertion up). As for maximum size, I agree it's not going up much now, but since (I believe) prices have fallen, you just buy more (which is safer with regard to drive failure, right?). Memory card prices seem to have fallen a lot in that time, from what I've seen on Amazon. And each computer that I've bought has been more powerful than the last.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
scyrene said:
Mikehit said:
scyrene said:
A lot of people who'd like more resolution want it for the purposes of cropping, not printing huge.

They are the same thing

I don't understand.

And there in lies the perennial problem of these forums, people with completely different levels of understanding talking across each other. At least you have the honesty to say you don't understand, which is close to unique so for that I congratulate you.

The basis of the problem is 'acceptable', what is acceptable for you might not be for me, or visa versa. Dof calculations along with acuity and resolution (being the foundation) are based on a set print size and viewing distance, cropping hard and printing big are both pushing the boundaries of that equation so they are, in essence and effect, exactly the same thing.

Mikehit said:
A 5DSR is 9,000x6000 (for round numbers) and you crop it to 6,000 x4,000. Print that crop to 20x12 and it is the same as printing the original sensor image to 30x18 and cutting out a 20x12 portion of it.

I still don't get it (I mean I understand what you're saying here, but I don't see how the two things are the same - they are literally different things, although I accept they may be linked in an abstract way) but I don't think it's important for the purposes of the thread.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Mikehit said:
SecureGSM said:
Mr. Neuro, there are plenty of people out their who paid there house, house contents, motor vehicle or professional insurance for all their life but never were in the need to lodge the claim. I am sure you understand that it is important to stay risk aversed and also be responsible and avoid risks of loosing those photos of once in the lifetime event, never repeat again moments being wedding ceremony, etc for so many happy couples out their. Dual redundant card slot is just that: inexpensive insurance.
Therefore I would hazard to call any wedding photographer that consider taking risk shooting such an important events with non-redundant card slot an irresponsible person. Yes, irresponsible. I am sorry, Mr. Neuro, but back in the analogous days of film photography the redundancy was not so easily achievable as nowadays. Therefore I would argue, with all due respect, that your "back in the film day" example was not quite relevant.

The leading photographers and photo professional associations should take the lead and raise the bar in calling on industry to support compulsory dual redundant card standard in professional settings.

Oh, Lord, here we go again. There are many experienced photographers who do not deny the advantages of dual slot but who say it is way, way down their list of priorities. To say the 6D2 is not a 'wedding camera' because of only one card slot is asinine.

+1

Mr. SecureGSM, regarding insurance, how many of those homeowners and automobile owners would personally choose to pay for that insurance? I am sure you understand that mortgageholders and lienholders mandate that such insurance be maintained by the owners (who aren't really owners while there's a balance on the loan), and that in general jurisdictions require at least liability insurance in most circumstances. So I'd argue, with all due respect, that your home/auto/business insurance example is not quite relevant. Incidentally, I know a few wedding pros with dual-slot cameras, who write to one card, with the second card as overflow.

Also, given that the dual-slot implementation on most Canon bodies (my 1D X notwithstanding) involves a performance hit based on the lesser card slot, there's a tradeoff involved for that 'inexpensive insurance'. By the way, how do you conclude that it's 'inexpensive'?

Quite a few I am sure. People buy insurance as a risk management tool. I guess a second card slot os also a risk management tool, but I really think the analogy (2nd card slot / insurance ) misses the mark. Besides risk appetite varies from person to person and company to company, so a 2nd slot is not a deal breaker for some, while it may be for others. Fortunately there are many options.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017

SecureGSM said:
The leading photographers and photo professional associations should take the lead and raise the bar in calling on industry to support compulsory dual redundant card standard in professional settings.
But doesn't it really come down to budget? If your wedding has a budget for a photographer who has a 1D or 5D then that person has the extra card for just in case and that's great but that equipment is bought from their fees. I bet there are plenty of budget wedding photographers who don't even have full frame cameras never mind dual cards and assistants. Not every wedding is an extravaganza but the participants still want pictures of it.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

scyrene said:
9VIII said:
scyrene said:
As for file sizes, that's one reasonable argument against higher res sensors (for now), although the cost of storage continues to drop as it has for decades.

Actually there's a global shortage of Flash memory right now, and HDD's have been the same price since 2010 because everyone knows it's practically a dead technology, 10TB is probably the biggest mechanical Hard Drive that will ever be on the market (at least without using stripped recording which drastically reduces write performance).

I'd be really interested if you have links/data on the emboldened bit. My personal (obviously anecdotal) experience is that HD prices per GB have fallen a bit in the past few years; I'm happy to be proven wrong (although a preliminary Google search doesn't bring up results that back your assertion up). As for maximum size, I agree it's not going up much now, but since (I believe) prices have fallen, you just buy more (which is safer with regard to drive failure, right?). Memory card prices seem to have fallen a lot in that time, from what I've seen on Amazon. And each computer that I've bought has been more powerful than the last.

Remember this is from 2011: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/126430.aspx
In mid-October, Newegg still listed a number of 5400RPM 2TB drives for around $70 to $80 dollars.

Currently on Amazon.com the 2TB models cost $66: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKG402/

In the last six years we have seen the introduction of 5TB models that do provide a slightly better price/GB, but that's probably going to be stable from now on (again, not counting new drives using higher densety but slower writing methods. The "read head" on a Hard Drive is more precise than the "write head", so if data is written with layers overlapping they can fit much more, but writing must be done in large blocks no matter how small the change is, these drives are best used for long term storage only).
Edit: The proper term is "Shingled" recording: http://www.storagereview.com/what_is_shingled_magnetic_recording_smr
In terms of consumer HDD's, prices are never going down from where they are today, you'll probably be able to use the price of hard drives to index inflation for the next hundred years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11084/seagate-confirms-plans-for-12-tb-hdd-in-near-future-16-tb-hdd-due-in-2018
In the past, the product stack used to remained similar, and as larger drives were introduced every year, previous-gen products were moved down the stack and low-capacity models discontinued. This may not be the case in the future and customers who need maximum capacity (i.e., who would like to store 3840 TB of data per rack and require 16 TB drives) in 2018 will probably have to pay more than they pay for leading edge HDDs today.

Also note that cheaper flash memory doesn't mean you're getting more for less, good MLC flash (two bits per cell, fastest performance and best endurance on the market today) is the same price today as four years ago (probably more "right now" given the shortage), most of the cheap drives are TLC (Three bits per cell, slower writing, only 50% capacity increase for a 2x reduction in write endurance), and they're about to introduce QLC (Four bits per cell), which will have almost no write endurance, and again is basically only going to be good for long term storage.

Here's the price history for the Samsung 850 Pro: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v3fp99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7ke512bw?history_days=730

"Memory Cards" have come down in price, but that's only because those companies thought they could get away with charging absurd prices when high speed SD cards first came out.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

magarity said:
SecureGSM said:
But doesn't it really come down to budget? If your wedding has a budget for a photographer who has a 1D or 5D then that person has the extra card for just in case and that's great but that equipment is bought from their fees. I bet there are plenty of budget wedding photographers who don't even have full frame cameras never mind dual cards and assistants. Not every wedding is an extravaganza but the participants still want pictures of it.

There are lots of weddings with beautiful photos taken by a friend who is a hobbyist and doesn't have any super-awesome camera gear :)

If you want to take it to the extreme, your wedding photo portfolio would be much more complete if you hired two or three photographers to take photos from different angles.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
9VIII said:

Assuming you mean striped recording, it's factually untrue that striped volumes reduce write performance. In fact, they dramatically increase write performance, and almost every serious server uses striped data sets to improve performance. The easiest way to make either mechanical or solid state drives faster is to buy a bunch of them and split up the write tasks between them.

There are massively expensive RAID setups that make a 1000mm primes look like rounding errors, and buildings full of them that cost tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to build, and a lot of them use mechanical storage for a lot of storage tasks -- for example, Microsoft's Azure or Amazon's AWS datacenters. Some of us also choose mechanical storage on the cloud for non-performance reasons, like better geo-replication options.

In addition, many people who run on-premise, production servers choose mechanical over solid state drives. They're superior in two ways: first, if they die, they tend to die slowly, so you can typically recover data easily. On the other hand, SSDs die in an epic and sudden way that's either difficult, expensive, or impossible to recover data from. Second, unless you get extremely expensive SSDs, very expensive RAID cards, or both, you can't REST them while they are in a striped set -- which makes all those cheap retail drives just short of useless.

And finally, there's limited benefits on a lot of types of servers. For example, for email or database, you're going to cache nearly everything you use most of the time anyways, so those blazingly fast random read times will still be there, but practically, they aren't noticeable much to users because usually, the data they want to access is cached in much faster RAM.

A strategy is often to combine both, and put most of your storage on mechanical storage arrays, but use solid state as a temporary/scratch drive, or for data that you can predict will require extremely random reads that don't cache well.

By the way, mechanical drives have improved dramatically since 2010. You can get excellent 2.5" models now, which are king in the server world. The reason that the price per TB hasn't fallen on mechanical drives has less to do about technology than it does about market forces. There just isn't enough demand for those 12TB systems to bring the prices down. Those giant drives also introduce other problems, like length of time to back up, and how hard you cry if you lose everything.

There have also been massive improvements in SSD technology since 2010, a lot of it highly benefiting retail PCs in the tablet and laptop segments. m.2 SSDs are a big step up in both performance and form factor for drives that don't need to be changed often, the controllers have gotten a lot better, and MLC durability has improved a lot. Basically, mid-range drives today are great, whereas they were slightly lacking a decade ago.

Not that this has much of anything to do with 7D3 :D

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
The bold bit above is the entire story here. Do we have data to back that up?

I am not doubting you -- it seems a formidable camera -- but do we know it is really kicking Canon's tail or if it is simply bringing the long-neglected Nikon 'pro APS-C' birder/wildlifers back into the fold? Is it stealing market share or is it just a case of shifting faithful Nikonians into a new price point?

We're starved for market data here, so it's hard to peg if:

[list type=decimal]
[*]This rumor is BS

[*]This rumor is true, and Canon is actually accelerating its plans with the 7D3 due to market forces (i.e. the D500)

[*]This rumor is true, and Canon is simply deploying the 7D3 seemingly sooner to us because of the 5 year lifecycle for the 7D1 was an exception*, outlier, etc. and the 7D2 lifecycle is actually more in the line with the other major rigs on a traditional-ish 4 year timetable.

*this pertains to the unique market situation around the whole earthquake / Nikon abandoning the segment without a D300S follow up / the decision to do a firmware 'lifecycle extension' to the 7D1, etc.

[*]This rumor is true, and Canon has found the means/resources to accelerate its development pipeline as it sees the ILC market as having bottomed-out and it believes that now is the time to go big and saturate the market with new bodies. (I'm not buying this at all.)

[*]This rumor is true, but some important new product slated for 2018 had a major delay or problem, and the 7D3 was brought forward to prevent a 'hole' in the pipeline from leaving Canon looking bad next year. (This is wild speculation, feel free to run with this nutty idea :D)
[/list]

Almost all my money is on #1 above, perhaps #2 -- but again, the public never sees market data in any appreciable depth that would be able to verify this.

Curious to see where everyone's heads are on this. What's your guess?

- A

While I'd put some money on #1 or #2, I'll forward another theory:

Because of the 80D is a superb APS-C stills camera, there isn't a lot of reason to consider a 7DII today. I don't need to go through the laundry list; we're all familiar with that. On top of that, the two models are priced just $300 apart -- and at $1400 for 7DII, that's not a very large percentage spread.

What's the problem with that? They could just get rid of 7D2, or just combine it into 90D, since 80D and 77D are so close. Well, I think, the issue is market segmentation: I'm pretty sure there are people willing to spend more than $1,100 for the best Canon APS-C camera. Just not for the 7DII, which doesn't offer enough more, and in some cases, offers less.

So rather than leave a gaping hole in the top end APS-C camera line for the next couple of years, they decide to cobble together an upgrade path, such that an APS-C xD model has a reason to exist. And, while they're at it, jack up the price a bit, since the top-end APS-C camera can be pretty close to the entry level FF camera.

Especially if it had 4k video.

If you bolted 4k video and UHS-II onto an 80D, what would it be worth? I'd argue, Canon could easily sell it for a few hundred dollars more (around D500 prices).

Then, you'd have 7D as a sub-$2k camera with 4k capabilities. And 80D/90D as a very capable ~$1k stills camera; and 77D and below as very viable hobbyist APS-C options.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Talys said:
9VIII said:

Assuming you mean striped recording, it's factually untrue that striped volumes reduce write performance. In fact, they dramatically increase write performance, and almost every serious server uses striped data sets to improve performance. The easiest way to make either mechanical or solid state drives faster is to buy a bunch of them and split up the write tasks between them.

There are massively expensive RAID setups that make a 1000mm primes look like rounding errors, and buildings full of them that cost tens or hundreds of millions of dollars to build, and a lot of them use mechanical storage for a lot of storage tasks -- for example, Microsoft's Azure or Amazon's AWS datacenters. Some of us also choose mechanical storage on the cloud for non-performance reasons, like better geo-replication options.

In addition, many people who run on-premise, production servers choose mechanical over solid state drives. They're superior in two ways: first, if they die, they tend to die slowly, so you can typically recover data easily. On the other hand, SSDs die in an epic and sudden way that's either difficult, expensive, or impossible to recover data from. Second, unless you get extremely expensive SSDs, very expensive RAID cards, or both, you can't REST them while they are in a striped set -- which makes all those cheap retail drives just short of useless.

And finally, there's limited benefits on a lot of types of servers. For example, for email or database, you're going to cache nearly everything you use most of the time anyways, so those blazingly fast random read times will still be there, but practically, they aren't noticeable much to users because usually, the data they want to access is cached in much faster RAM.

A strategy is often to combine both, and put most of your storage on mechanical storage arrays, but use solid state as a temporary/scratch drive, or for data that you can predict will require extremely random reads that don't cache well.

By the way, mechanical drives have improved dramatically since 2010. You can get excellent 2.5" models now, which are king in the server world. The reason that the price per TB hasn't fallen on mechanical drives has less to do about technology than it does about market forces. There just isn't enough demand for those 12TB systems to bring the prices down. Those giant drives also introduce other problems, like length of time to back up, and how hard you cry if you lose everything.

There have also been massive improvements in SSD technology since 2010, a lot of it highly benefiting retail PCs in the tablet and laptop segments. m.2 SSDs are a big step up in both performance and form factor for drives that don't need to be changed often, the controllers have gotten a lot better, and MLC durability has improved a lot. Basically, mid-range drives today are great, whereas they were slightly lacking a decade ago.

Not that this has much of anything to do with 7D3 :D

I couldn't quite remember the right term when I wrote that, Shingled HDD's are definitely not the same as what you are talking about.

In the world of SSD's, planar (2D) Nand was rapidly degrading in quality as they tried to make it more and more dense.
3D Nand did for SSD's what PMR did for HDD's (flip the data cells to being vertically oriented), but the principle will always hold true that smaller memory cells perform worse, and you can only stack so many layers on a chip. Given the size of the layers of current 3D Nand I'd be surprised if we ever see Micro SD cards significantly larger than they are today (I think 200GB is the biggest on the market now).
And if they do manage to make thinner layers, they will just start performing worse again and we'll be right back to the situation of capacity and quality being directly opposed.

In applications that aren't highly write intensive most people are probably better off with the cheaper TLC drives (Samsung "Evo" chips), but there really isn't any competition for MLC drives right now.
As far as I know Samsung is the only company with MLC 3D Nand on the market, and they're charging a hefty premium to get it in M.2 format.

9VIII said:
Remember this is from 2011: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/126430.aspx
In mid-October, Newegg still listed a number of 5400RPM 2TB drives for around $70 to $80 dollars.

Currently on Amazon.com the 2TB models cost $66: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IEKG402/

In the last six years we have seen the introduction of 5TB models that do provide a slightly better price/GB, but that's probably going to be stable from now on (again, not counting new drives using higher densety but slower writing methods. The "read head" on a Hard Drive is more precise than the "write head", so if data is written with layers overlapping they can fit much more, but writing must be done in large blocks no matter how small the change is, these drives are best used for long term storage only).
Edit: The proper term is "Shingled" recording: http://www.storagereview.com/what_is_shingled_magnetic_recording_smr
In terms of consumer HDD's, prices are never going down from where they are today, you'll probably be able to use the price of hard drives to index inflation for the next hundred years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11084/seagate-confirms-plans-for-12-tb-hdd-in-near-future-16-tb-hdd-due-in-2018
In the past, the product stack used to remained similar, and as larger drives were introduced every year, previous-gen products were moved down the stack and low-capacity models discontinued. This may not be the case in the future and customers who need maximum capacity (i.e., who would like to store 3840 TB of data per rack and require 16 TB drives) in 2018 will probably have to pay more than they pay for leading edge HDDs today.

Also note that cheaper flash memory doesn't mean you're getting more for less, good MLC flash (two bits per cell, fastest performance and best endurance on the market today) is the same price today as four years ago (probably more "right now" given the shortage), most of the cheap drives are TLC (Three bits per cell, slower writing, only 50% capacity increase for a 2x reduction in write endurance), and they're about to introduce QLC (Four bits per cell), which will have almost no write endurance, and again is basically only going to be good for long term storage.

Here's the price history for the Samsung 850 Pro: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v3fp99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7ke512bw?history_days=730

"Memory Cards" have come down in price, but that's only because those companies thought they could get away with charging absurd prices when high speed SD cards first came out.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013

Sporgon said:
jolyonralph said:
Khalai said:
If you print small or do not heavily crop, then why would you need high resolution in the first place, right? :)

Downscaling.

Remember that a 24mpx sensor doesn't give you 24 colour megapixels. there are 12 megapixels of green, and 6 megapixels each of red and blue.

These are then interpolated to give you a pseudo-24 megapixel full colour image, bearing in mind every single one of those pixels is the product of assumption, taking the surrounding pixels to assume what the missing colour components would be.

So, even if you don't crop, or you don't print massive posters, the 5DSR gives you the opportunity of massive oversampling which allows you to scale down an image and get a much more accurate representation of both the luminosity and color of each actual pixel in your final image.

I just don't see this in practice. I wish I did, it would mean I could justify buying a 5Ds to produce better quality images. Theoretically of course you are right, the bayer array means that you need many more pixels on target to define colours, especially at the edges of things, but I just don't see it in practice.

The problem is all to do with scale; because of the resolution of even a 12 mp FF camera there is enough RGB coverage to define the detail we can see in say an A3 size print. The increase in colour definition that you are gaining from say a 5Ds is just lost in reducing the detail size down to an A3 print. That detail has just gone. Simple. If it hasn't then it was large enough for the lower mp sensor to define anyway.

I have found that the greater magnification of a larger format gives better tone and detail, so for instance again if we refer to a fairly common "large" A2 print (23.5 x 16.5 inches) a vertical three frame stitch from an old 12.7 mp 5D at about 24 mp is better printed definition than a single frame from a 24 mp M3. However as you reduce the print size, once again there is no difference.

Of course cropping is another thing, you are definitely limited in producing large prints from a heavily cropped 12 mp sensor ;) I should add, when compared with one of todays higher resolution sensors. I've actually seen some very large and good images printed from 5 mp !
I project a lot of still images and the difference between my 6D and the 5DS are very easy to see, better tones, better clarity and more fine detail.
The one area where it really is a no brainer is cropping. Heavily crop a 6D image and definition & detail suffer but the 5DS if exposed correctly and sharply focused really stands up well and its apparent for all to see easily.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014

ahsanford said:
djack41 said:
Listen up, Canon. 1) Please improve ISO performance by at least 1-1.5 stops. 2) Increase DR. 3) Add 1-2 FPS 4) Flip screen.

If need be, reduce MP to accomplish this. Now it will be a much improved all-round camera especially for wildlife, BIF, sports etc.

1) I wish you luck with that.

2) Done. That's a 100% certainty with a move to on-chip ADC, though it won't be a game-changing bump.

3) Possible. Perhaps a reasonable ask if the 7D3 is being accelerated because of the D500's sales.

4) That's a really tough one. This rig is supposed to be the war horse sort of product the 1-series is. I could see Canon playing it ultra-conservative and leave a tilty-flippy out of a 7D3. I see future 5D rigs with a tilty-flippy, but the 1-series and 7-series may end up getting them last.

- A

The caveats I believe to the possibility of Canon adding an articulating screen (#4) of some kind (to the 7D Mk III) are these: the introduction of 4k and more video features, and the introduction of one in the new 6D Mk II. And I think there's a way to do it and make it fairly robust, as these have been around for a while now.

Coupled with the fact that some buyers would only use it periodically, some would use hardly ever, and some may use it quite often.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017

9VIII said:
The "read head" on a Hard Drive is more precise than the "write head"
Hard drives have a single head per platter which performs both reading and writing, not one for each function.
but writing must be done in large blocks no matter how small the change is
The term you're looking for is "sectors" which is the smallest atomic change. A sector may contain multiple blocks or vice versa depending on the formatting. However, sectors are fairly small and most files spread across many of them. When changing a file only the sector(s) being changed need to be rewritten. Most files are not frequently changed in the big scheme of things. Even editing an image or video is a series of single changes but it's not like anyone re-edits the same video over and over until those sectors give out (unless they have some compulsion).

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England

jeffa4444 said:
Sporgon said:
jolyonralph said:
Khalai said:
If you print small or do not heavily crop, then why would you need high resolution in the first place, right? :)

Downscaling.

Remember that a 24mpx sensor doesn't give you 24 colour megapixels. there are 12 megapixels of green, and 6 megapixels each of red and blue.

These are then interpolated to give you a pseudo-24 megapixel full colour image, bearing in mind every single one of those pixels is the product of assumption, taking the surrounding pixels to assume what the missing colour components would be.

So, even if you don't crop, or you don't print massive posters, the 5DSR gives you the opportunity of massive oversampling which allows you to scale down an image and get a much more accurate representation of both the luminosity and color of each actual pixel in your final image.

I just don't see this in practice. I wish I did, it would mean I could justify buying a 5Ds to produce better quality images. Theoretically of course you are right, the bayer array means that you need many more pixels on target to define colours, especially at the edges of things, but I just don't see it in practice.

The problem is all to do with scale; because of the resolution of even a 12 mp FF camera there is enough RGB coverage to define the detail we can see in say an A3 size print. The increase in colour definition that you are gaining from say a 5Ds is just lost in reducing the detail size down to an A3 print. That detail has just gone. Simple. If it hasn't then it was large enough for the lower mp sensor to define anyway.

I have found that the greater magnification of a larger format gives better tone and detail, so for instance again if we refer to a fairly common "large" A2 print (23.5 x 16.5 inches) a vertical three frame stitch from an old 12.7 mp 5D at about 24 mp is better printed definition than a single frame from a 24 mp M3. However as you reduce the print size, once again there is no difference.

Of course cropping is another thing, you are definitely limited in producing large prints from a heavily cropped 12 mp sensor ;) I should add, when compared with one of todays higher resolution sensors. I've actually seen some very large and good images printed from 5 mp !
I project a lot of still images and the difference between my 6D and the 5DS are very easy to see, better tones, better clarity and more fine detail.
The one area where it really is a no brainer is cropping. Heavily crop a 6D image and definition & detail suffer but the 5DS if exposed correctly and sharply focused really stands up well and its apparent for all to see easily.

I would expect to see that difference when projecting.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
jayt567 said:
...Still shooting with my original 7D after being disappointed in the image quality of the 7D ii...

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this statement. I used the 7D for years. Switched to a 5DIII. Bought a 7DII for sports and then bought a 1DXII, also for sports and general purpose use.

My experience: 7DII is a significant increase in quality over the 7D at 800 ISO or higher (pretty much impossible to tell the diffference between any cameras at ISO 400 or below.)

7DII could hold its own against the 5DIII at higher ISOs, up to 6,400. 5DIII was somewhere around a 1/2 to 1 stop better but the quality of the noise in the 7DII has a much more film-like look to it that in my opinion makes it much more acceptable against the original and keeps in in the running against the 5DIII, when factoring in the improved autofocus, fps, etc.

Not surprisingly, the 1DX II beats them all. But if I need the 1.6 reach because of being distance-limited and the light is good, I'll go for the 7DII (birds in good light for example).

I never shot the 7D at anything higher than ISO 400 because I didn't like the noise. With the 7DII I can go up to 6,400 and while the images have noise, it isn't the ugly, electronic noise of the 7D.

Of course opinions vary, but as I say, I'm surprised that you preferred the 7D to the 7D II.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
unfocused said:
jayt567 said:
...Still shooting with my original 7D after being disappointed in the image quality of the 7D ii...

I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around this statement. I used the 7D for years. Switched to a 5DIII. Bought a 7DII for sports and then bought a 1DXII, also for sports and general purpose use.

My experience: 7DII is a significant increase in quality over the 7D at 800 ISO or higher (pretty much impossible to tell the diffference between any cameras at ISO 400 or below.)

7DII could hold its own against the 5DIII at higher ISOs, up to 6,400. 5DIII was somewhere around a 1/2 to 1 stop better but the quality of the noise in the 7DII has a much more film-like look to it that in my opinion makes it much more acceptable against the original and keeps in in the running against the 5DIII, when factoring in the improved autofocus, fps, etc.

Not surprisingly, the 1DX II beats them all. But if I need the 1.6 reach because of being distance-limited and the light is good, I'll go for the 7DII (birds in good light for example).

I never shot the 7D at anything higher than ISO 400 because I didn't like the noise. With the 7DII I can go up to 6,400 and while the images have noise, it isn't the ugly, electronic noise of the 7D.

Of course opinions vary, but as I say, I'm surprised that you preferred the 7D to the 7D II.

Completely agree, my 5DMKIII got put to the side unless in serious low light when I got the 7D.

Ive used it alongside my 5DMKIII to shoot weddings, motorsport, wildlife and it is very impressive.

Couple from a recent wedding.

Lara & Hugo de Chassiron-326 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Lara & Hugo de Chassiron-335 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Motorsport

N0. 78 1965 2.0 Porsche 911 Classic GT Cars (pre '66) Silverstone Classics 2016 by Tom Scott, on Flickr

Wildlife

12744335_922632617835422_27907302699063711_n.jpg

6400ISO in the Ugandan rainforest (unfortunately has fb compression so doesn't look its best but the print looks fantastic)

Although you can't get the same look as full frame the speed at which is shoots and operates makes the 5DMKIII feel archaic.

Although yes it may not be as good as the best APC as a package the camera is immense IMO.

Being able to buy them at £900 new from places like SLRhut and Digitalrev its a complete no brainer IMO.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
Because of the 80D is a superb APS-C stills camera, there isn't a lot of reason to consider a 7DII today. I don't need to go through the laundry list; we're all familiar with that. On top of that, the two models are priced just $300 apart -- and at $1400 for 7DII, that's not a very large percentage spread.

What's the problem with that? They could just get rid of 7D2, or just combine it into 90D, since 80D and 77D are so close.

Nah, Nikon did that ... and then reversed course.

For quite a while, Nikon didn't have an update for the D300(S), while at the same time they over-spec'd the D7200.
But now they have the D500 and the D7500 (which in certain ways is a downgrade from the D7200).

This is telling me that Canon was right all along with the xxD/7D separation.

I suspect that the 7D series helps Canon sell 'big white' lenses.
Hence, they seem to take the 7D series quite seriously.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

magarity said:
9VIII said:
The "read head" on a Hard Drive is more precise than the "write head"
Hard drives have a single head per platter which performs both reading and writing, not one for each function.
but writing must be done in large blocks no matter how small the change is
The term you're looking for is "sectors" which is the smallest atomic change. A sector may contain multiple blocks or vice versa depending on the formatting. However, sectors are fairly small and most files spread across many of them. When changing a file only the sector(s) being changed need to be rewritten. Most files are not frequently changed in the big scheme of things. Even editing an image or video is a series of single changes but it's not like anyone re-edits the same video over and over until those sectors give out (unless they have some compulsion).

http://www.storagereview.com/what_is_shingled_magnetic_recording_smr

Of course many operating and file systems aren’t used to being restricted to writing sequentially to hard disk drives. As a result, a management or translation layer needs to be created to take random writes and convert them to sequential writes.

Where this layer resides and how it manages metadata is a new issue that will be discussed in detail by examining methodologies of SMR data management. These include three core methods; Drive Managed, Host Aware and Host Managed.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Talys said:

That's nonsense. Do you own and use them, or are you just an armchair critic who reads feature lists? I've had the 7D2 from launch day, and the 80D for over a year, and use them frequently. The 7D2 is significantly ahead in areas which are really important for sports and wildlife photography, despite being so much older.

Regarding the prices, today's best UK street price for a 7D2 is almost £400 higher than the 80D, or 42%. For real people spending real money and not just talking about it, that's a very significant difference.

The 80D does beat the 7D2 on certain specifics. The sensor is newer and better, and it has the swivel screen and wifi as well as slightly higher resolution. None of those will make the 80D an attractive substitute for the 7D2 to anyone who actually uses the 7D2 as intended. Despite its age, the 7D2 is still some way ahead in performance and handling, and that's why I still choose it for most tasks.

There will, of course, be many people for whom the 80D is 'just as good' as the 7D2 - basically, all those who don't need the performance features. So it's not a question of being just as good (which it isn't), it's about being a better fit to the needs of those people, and at a lower cost too.

Talys said:
What's the problem with that? They could just get rid of 7D2, or just combine it into 90D, since 80D and 77D are so close. Well, I think, the issue is market segmentation: I'm pretty sure there are people willing to spend more than $1,100 for the best Canon APS-C camera. Just not for the 7DII, which doesn't offer enough more, and in some cases, offers less.

You do know that the original 7D was born out of a split when the old 50D was replaced with the lower-level 60D and high-end 7D? I don't think many would want to go back to a situation where there was no truly high-end APS-C body.

BTW I have no idea what the 77D has to do with this. It's an XXXD with a two-digit name - chosen, no doubt, to confuse the less well-informed.

Upvote 0