Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

Timedog

EOS R
Aug 31, 2018
Wait, this has a focus guide for manual focusing?
A tad over-optimistic I feel. It will happen at some point undeniably (if only because 8K video demands will result in a convergence between photo and video tech on sensors). But if the 5DIV's readout speed is the best Canon do in late 2018 at a $2300 price tag, it ain't going to be significantly improved any time soon.
It's the best they can do several years ago when the 5DIV came out, as this seems to obviously be using basically the same sensor. We'll see what they've been cooking when they release a more pro body in the hopefully near future.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
The expanded AF aperture range was a definite feature as LiveView already worked for f/11. Nice to see it be announced all the same!

As for the lenses, I am confused whether all but the 24-105 are non full-time manual focus... One of the CanonUSA videos clealry explains how the focus ring direction can be inverted which would indicated that focus occurs by wire as is the case on the new 400 and 600s.

Finally, MF peaking and focus direction assist looks incredible. Coupled with the auto zoom to the area selected for focus, vintage lenses will be very interesting to adapt.

Thank you for the resume!

Yes sadly all the new lenses are FBW which actually make me suspect Canon might allow a EF to RF mount conversion on these new EF 400 and 600 Version 3

Upvote 0
Spectacular camera, stellar lenses. I think Canon found an excellent compromise between continuity and innovation, delivering a knock out punch with the new series of RF lenses. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another DSLR, and questioning the original idea to replace my 70-200mm mark II with the new mark III in the assumption a new RF 70-200mm will be released soon.

Not concerned about the single card slot (glad to see a SD II), missing native GPS, unsure about the LCD screen. Initial reactions

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Sure the number of boxes doesn't matter.
I believe 2299 is an RRP, we'll find it down to 2100 or so with promotions and discounnts and on grey market.
Sorry, but I am not talking about price level, discounts and grey market prices.
I am talking about the price for the kit compared to the individual units, not just body only.

See here:
  • $ 2299 MRSP for EOS R (body only), okay
  • $ 1099 MRSP for RF 24-105 (lens only), okay
  • $ 3399 MRSP for the kit (body+lens), NOT okay because
  • $ 2299 + $ 1099 = $ 3398 < $ 3399,
So the kit costs $1 more than the individual units ==> ridiculous
A kit should give me (buyer) at least a 5 to 10% discount over the individual units.
got it?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Pricing Germany ... :cry:

• EOS R Body – €2.499* – Verfügbar ab 9. Oktober 2018
  • EOS R Body + RF 24-105 – €3.499* – Verfügbar ab 9. Oktober 2018
  • RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM – €1.199* – Verfügbar ab 9. Oktober 2018
  • RF 28-70mm f/2 L USM – €3.249* – Verfügbar ab Dezember 2018
  • RF 50mm f/1.2 L USM – €2.499* – Verfügbar ab Ende Oktober 2018
  • RF 35mm f/1.8 Macro IS STM – €549* – Verfügbar ab Dezember 2018
  • Mount Adapter EF-EF-EOS R – €109* – Verfügbar ab 9. Oktober 2018
  • Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EF-EOS R – €219* – Verfügbar ab 9. Oktober 2018 Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EF
  • EOS R (V-ND) – €449* – Verfügbar ab Februar 2019 Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EF-EOS R (C-PL) – €329* – Verfügbar ab Februar 2019

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Yes, any combination of RAW + JPEG possible, separate formats to separate cards possible including Dual Pixel RAW +JPEG
Actually that seems to be a typo? since there is only one card slot

I definitely saw that on one of the spec sheets and copied it. I cannot seem to find that anywhere now. May be Canon corrected it?

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I am not talking about price level, discounts and grey market prices.
I am talking about the price for the kit compared to the individual units, not just body only.

See here:
  • $ 2299 MRSP for EOS R (body only), okay
  • $ 1099 MRSP for RF 24-105 (lens only), okay
  • $ 3399 MRSP for the kit (body+lens), NOT okay because
  • $ 2299 + $ 1099 = $ 3398 < $ 3399,
So the kit costs $1 more than the individual units ==> ridiculous
A kit should give me (buyer) at least a 5 to 10% discount over the individual units.
got it?

Yeah, the point is, this stuff will be available in October and the pricing is preliminary, and the kit at official and grey retailers will likely be less than separated body and lens. I'd be surprised if the numbers stay the same in October as they are now.

PS. The German prices in euro above do make sense - the kit is 200eur less expensive.

Upvote 0
Waait....i can see in a video that there is an electronic stabilization in the sensor witch can be combined with IS in the lens, for video!! So there is in fact image stabilization in the sensor!!
Uses sensor detected blur (in camera body) combined with lens IS info to stabilize the image. Still requires lens IS for the process.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It is nice to have electronic shutter but no continuous shooting is a bummer and the warning sounds like it is usable for still subjects only.

I've read somewhere that electronic shutter in continuous shooting will come with a firmware update.

But it probably won't be much useful for anything that would require continuous shooting : the scan time of the sensor will be slow and moving subjects may be deformed.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Are there likely to be any disadvantages when using EF lenses on EOS R via the mount adapter, reduced maximum aperture, crop factor, auto focus preformance etc ?

no disadvantages for EF lenses compared to their LiveView performance on a current DP-AF DSLR (eg. 5D IV)

But EF lens performance likely not as good as native RF lenses in any aspect that needs faster communication / 12-pins. e.g. the "enhanced IS" - needs gyrosensor in lens + faster communication channel. EF lenses don't have it. They are "legacy" as of today in relation to RF mount cameras.

Upvote 0
This is my new tool!!! No IBIS (sad) but Eye-AF and C-Log! That's a no-brainer for me. :)

Eye-AF only on AF-S, no AF-C on high servo... and only 60fps on 1080p? 370 shot battery life... oh, let's not forget the pricing.. $2.299... no way man. This is too much for such a toy. I would give $1.500 at most for this entry level camera.

Upvote 0