Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
"This system is a marketing tool to enforce customer brand fidelity...The new enhanced lens communication that facilitate the extra control ring on the lens is actually made to make you as a user more dependent on the canon line. Once you start getting used with this control system you will find harder to use other systems and psychologically a conditioning will occur to become a canon conservative...

Oh my God! How diabolical of Canon to release a camera that has features that will make people want to buy their products. Grab the pitchforks and storm the castle, we can't have that!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The more I think about it the more I wonder how perfect this camera could have been without the crop in 4K video.
However, Magic Lantern is working on a solution to bring full-sensor readout to 5D Mark IV. If this is the case, then couldn't Canon potentially fix the crop issue via a future firmware update?
Yes if the processing bandwidth is available. Keep in mind that Canon’s top end cameras have multiple processors. This one has a single Digic 8. Add more processors and functions equals greater cost. Look for the next R (R2?) to have two processors, higher tracking frame rate, two memory cards , more video functionality and $3500. Price

Upvote 0
The more I think of this camera the more I find it really interesting development from Canon.

It seems to me that this is positioned to compete against the a7III and Z6, but the use of what seems to be the 5D IV sensor is really interesting. Without that sensor (and a few other features to be fair) this seems more akin to a mirrorless 6DII, or a slight re-positioning of the middle of the line offering. One of Canon's videos even suggested that this is a good first full frame camera for buyers, which I took to mean that there will likely be more advanced cameras coming. Now that the 5D sensor has been used in this model, what goes into the next model in this line? Will that be the sensor that goes into a 5DSII (if that were still coming)? Are we talking 50 MP or more? Are we talking a chunkier camera to accept a different battery which can better manage the new power consumption needs? I also noted that this camera gets less shots on EVF than it does on back LCD, so that EVF could have a serious battery demand to maintain a fluid and acceptable response time - I wonder if some of the processing power has been held back to reduce battery drain in order to make LP-E6 viable...

The fact that Canon's "entry level" full frame mirrorless model is positioned in a somewhat more advanced position than the "entry level" DSLR offering (which was released last year) seems to imply a bit of re-jigging of what Canon thinks each market segment will accept, especially considering that a camera like the 6D would not likely be updated again for 3 or more years. I can't help but wonder what led to the decision to give it the 5D IV sensor if they were still confident in the 6DII's sensor at that entry level market position (unless this isn't the entry level market position). Or maybe the manufacturing costs for that sensor have declined and it's more feasible to include now. Interesting to try and read between the lines, never the less.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Oh my God! How diabolical of Canon to release a camera that has features that will make people want to buy their products. Grab the pitchforks and storm the castle, we can't have that!
It's not a feature people want because no one even heard of them before. He is basically saying they want people to be so familiar and comfortable with Canon that they wouldnt want to switch no matter how better the competition is for your workflow. When people hand me a Sony or Nikon my reaction is to put them down they are annoying to use to me. Even though they have better sensors and I love image quality.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Of course there are many different types of pros, but I'd look at the 1Dx2 and see what features it has that are missing here. I guess more fps, more robust construction/sealing, bigger body, better high ISO (but maybe lower resolution), different card slot(s)?

I own a 1dx2, so that's why I'am curious. I do use it for video as well, but frustrated I can't send 4k out to an external recorder. No good explanation why they locked that out. I'm hoping it can/will be added with firmware updates especially now that this camera can. But yes, better weather sealing, more FPS, etc... but if they go with an even higher res sensor, does that mean will further sacrifice crop factor for video? Or do they start binning with a full sensor readout? Do we get the Cfast2 slot there like the 1d2x?

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014

I'm amazed at the number of trolls who crawled out from under their rocks in the past week and registered on CR Forum, only to sling stuff pulled out of an orifice.

Upvote 0
After an intense week of rumours I'm still sitting here, waiting for a decent 7d3.
There is still a market for high frame rate cameras and IMO the Canon mirrorless cameras are not going there for at least 3 years. So expect a 7d3 within the next year. Just sayin

Upvote 0
Read all the stuff on the new Canon EOS R, looks like a well thought out system and something as a surprise because the kept the specs under wrap so far. I have a 5D4 and see absolutely no reason to sell that to move to the new EOS R. To begin with there is only a 4-5 ounce weight difference. This is true as well for the kit 24-105 f4 lens that I bought with my 5D4 camera. What is as impressive as it is puzzling is that Canon came out with more high quality native lenses for the brand new EOS R than they did for the EOS M system which is now about five years old and still struggle. Because I am looking for a light body and lenses for travel I might by and EOS M because they finally came out with a fast 50 mm equiv.

Upvote 0
Excuse if it has been reported previewsly. I didn't read all!

On the white paper documentation p.30 we can read about mount adapter EF-EOS R:

"Direct mechanical and electrical coupling between the EF lens and any the new EOS R camera and any future EOS R cameras"

So, I understand that the high end future body will not have an EF native mount !!!!!

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
Thanks.

So 24mm with the 4K crop factor is ~40mm, so just about fits in that range. But if one is just filming oneself talk, the camera can just be moved further away, right? I've never quite understood the angst about the crop thing, and there are ultrawide lenses that cover it anyhow, especially with EF-S compatibility.

You have more depth of field when using wider crop lenses. That‘s the only drawback I can think of ..., but a substantial one. Especially when you bought expensive fast glass and you own a camera with a very capable aAF system that could handle a shallow D.O.F.

A cheap (price-wise) 10-18 EF-S and the 100$ adaptor is a no brainer for vlogging in my eyes.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The more I think of this camera the more I find it really interesting development from Canon.

It seems to me that this is positioned to compete against the a7III and Z6, but the use of what seems to be the 5D IV sensor is really interesting.
I'd say that "positioning to compete" against particular camera bodies was not why they developed this particular camera and not how they advertise it.

The camera is positioned to represent a system that is positioned to dominate (or so Canon wants). Like EOS 650 three decades ago.

They didn't develop a new sensor for it because it is not going to sell for 5 years as usual. It will likely be replaced by two cameras (one higher-level and one lower-level) with a new sensor in two years. They did not put a 6DII sensor into it because that sensor would be a poor representation of the new system.

It will still sell well, though.

Excuse if it has been reported previewsly. I didn't read all!

On the white paper documentation p.30 we can read about mount adapter EF-EOS R:

"Direct mechanical and electrical coupling between the EF lens and any the new EOS R camera and any future EOS R cameras"

So, I understand that the high end future body will not have an EF native mount !!!!!
If "the high end future body" is an EOS R camera.

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I'd say that "positioning to compete" against particular camera bodies was not why they developed this particular camera and not how they advertise it.

The camera is positioned to represent a system that is positioned to dominate (or so Canon wants). Like EOS 650 three decades ago.

They didn't develop a new sensor for it because it is not going to sell for 5 years as usual. It will likely be replaced by two cameras (one higher-level and one lower-level) with a new sensor in two years. They did not put a 6DII sensor into it because that sensor would be a poor representation of the new system.

It has to be. I mean we've got 4 mounts now (EF, EF-S, RF, M) - why would Canon risk creating a fifth mount? At this point its go all the way or bust, right? (if we assume mirrorless is the future, and I'm pretty sure it is..)

I would imagine the next higher spec-d body will be somewhere between a 1D and a 5D, and then eventually a mirrorless 1D.

Upvote 0

Oh, it will sell very well. I'm not in the market really, but even I would be tempted to pick one up as a backup to my 5D IV especially if it is putting out equivalent image quality for $1000 less than the 5D IV. I've nearly lost my 5D IV on more than one occasion where I would be unable to get a reasonable replacement in sufficient time (caught a tripod leg as the rest of it heads over a cliff 2x) and I don't currently own a second body (which is something I've often considered addressing).

I think lining this up as a competitor to the Z6 and a7iii is maybe not the right way to phrase it - Canon releases what they release and assume others compete with them, not the other way around. The question here is where does this body fit in Canon's full frame mirrorless lineup/continuum: with only 1 data point we don't know if this is the top/bottom/middle line body, or if Canon will even distinguish their lineup in that way. If we assume (which may be premature to do) that the RF mount camera market positioning will be analogous to Canon's FF DSLR series, is this intended to slot into the same space as a 6D in terms of price and value, or would this slot in to a 5D position or a new position all together. The point of interest here isn't to ridicule a past release (or Canon in general) but more so to predict what could be next. If this is supposed to be a do-it-all kind of well camera, could we be looking at a heavy set, high resolution and feature rich body coming next, or could we be looking at an ultralight body, or even a ruggedized spots monster next? Or is this our feature rich camera and the FF light camera coming next?

I just can't help but wonder what Canon envisions for positioning of camera lines within the RF ecosystem, and where this sits in that continuum.

Upvote 0

Yes I know, but a lot of peoples still hope the next big R will be EF native, this is the end of their dreams

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I still have the feeling of being left behind with my 6D and my EF lenses exactly as I was in '87 with my AE1-P and my FD lenses.
I understand the need for leap jumping but damn, I hate adaptors. An how about my planned investment in a 24-70 f/2.8 II L and the 135 f/2.0 L ? Will I do that now? Probably not. Or maybe by some used ones.
My guess is, that with this launch Canon is going all in on EOS-R, and we will probably see a lot more new RF mount cameras. I will be surprised if we will ever see an 7D or a 6D mkIII. We will might see a new 5D and 1D, but that will be it. The rest will RF cameras an probably with IBIS too.
The control-ring and the control bar (replacing the control wheel) looks smart. Very smart.
I will probably keep my beloved 6D until it is totally worn out, and then buy a RF mount camera, and RF 2.0 or 2.8 "standard-zoom" and a few primes, and the reuse my old EF lenses - maybe even buy some extra adaptors to be fixed on the most used lenses.
Canon is probably doing the right thing with the RF mount - I just have to take it in.....

Well, if it's any comfort, I'm getting my 5D IV, 24-105, 100-400 and 600EX II tomorrow. I'll have the 400 DO and a set of fast wide angle and standard zooms by Christmas (either Tamron or Canon). Maybe I'll even convince myself to pickup the new 600. Then I'll go into GAS shock for a few years.

This equipment will all work and take beautiful photos for the rest of my life. It will likely be more capable than I am.

I'll keep an eye on this new tech and maybe pick one up and get RF mount wide angle and standard zooms instead of the EF and a second EF body. We'll see.

Upvote 0