More Canon EOS 6D Specifications Talk [CR1]

Finally a Canon full frame camera with a tilt screen, and then they leave out 4K? Because tilt screens are mainly useful for photo, or there weren't enough 1080p cameras with tilt screens in the past 9 years?

This has to be some sort of IQ test by Canon to see how stupid their customers really are and the level of slow innovation they might accept.

Upvote 0
dsut4392 said:
that1guyy said:
fail on a bun

So they give a tilty screen the video shooters want but no 4k. hahah Canon is so dumb.

Nope. I have no use for 4k, but plenty of use for a tilt/flip screen for low & high angle composition landscape, travel and macro photography.

Too bad Canon wants to see their high paying pro customers lying in the mud by not adding a tilt screen to the 1DX2 and 5D4.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
douglaurent said:
Too bad Canon wants to see their high paying pro customers lying in the mud by not adding a tilt screen to the 1DX2 and 5D4.

The 5D line will eventually get a tilty flippy, but the 1DX line? That's far less certain.

Cynics of tilty-flippy screens sling all sorts of reasons why not to use them -- weather sealing will be bad, the screen will break off, the flexible/joint cabling will fail, etc. -- but in general use conditions, those concerns have been largely disproven. Whatever replaces my 5D3 had better have a tilty-flippy, because I see the value of that feature to be far, far greater than the risk it represents.

But the 1DX userbase does the truly batsh-- crazy stuff with their rigs that could do harm to that screen, I think. Hiding out for hours in -50F waiting for arctic foxes. War reportage. Shooting magma flows. Sideline NFL work where a 300 lb dude might tackle a 250 lb dude into you. (You get the idea.)

In those theaters of photography, I think the tilty-flippy naysayers might actually have a case. Especially for extreme weather, I could see sticking with a vanilla / integral non tilty-flippy as having less nooks and crannies to let water/ice/dust/dirt in for these absurd environments.

- A

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
If these rumored specs are accurate, this will be my next body.

Honestly, I just want a full-frame version of my 70D with the newest generation of sensors from Canon. I'm guessing it won't keep up with 70D frame rate of 7 FPS, and I prefer fully* articulating screen to tilt-only, but everything else will be enough for me to go for it.

Okay, to be really honest, if the 5DIV had a fully articulating touch screen, I would have figured out a way to scrimp, save and/or sell things to buy it. :p

* Fully articulating means it can be closed to protect it while in my bag. It also gives more flexibility in tight spaces or weird positions. Tilty would be better than fixed, but not nearly as useful as articulating...for me.
+1

"full-frame version of my 70D with the newest generation of sensors from Canon"
plus
double SD
minus
1/8000 and 7FPS (5,5? 6?)

would be OK for me too.

If Canon wants the 6D2 to compete against Nikon D750 rather than against Nikon D6x0, we can expect something more (45 points AF etc.).

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
The 5D line will eventually get a tilty flippy,

Extremely unlikely even the next 5D will get a "tilty-flippy". At best a tilty, which would've been and still would be desirable, but no flip. There are five buttons to the left of the current fixed screen and while doable with some juggling of the button layout, conservative Canon can't be expected to move five whole buttons elsewhere. A tilting screen which could've preserved most of the rear button layout would, or would've been, really nice though.

The tilty-flippy really should be done with the 6D2 and it's more doable at least compared to the 5D, as the former has no buttons to the left of the LCD, so no excuse not to put a hinge to the side a la 80D/Rebel.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
The list if true is plausible except for 19AF points. The T6S / 760d has 19AF points and is way cheaper. The camera has to get 45AF points and the 7260 RGB+IR metering system to be worth either the same or higher price.
If they bring it out with 19AF points I for one would not buy it.

It all boils down to the quality of the points.

19 f8 capable double cross points, well spaced is quite differnt to 19 single axis points clustered in the centre.

spread and accuracy is much more important than simple numbers

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
<li>24MP or 25MP sensor (Difference between effective and actual?)</li>
<li>Dual Pixel AF</li>
<li>Dual SD card slots</li>
<li>NO 4K</li>
<li>Fully functional touch screen</li>
<li>Tilting LCD</li>
<li>New AF system</li>
<li>NFC</li>
<li>Wifi</li>
<li>GPS</li>
<li>Slightly smaller and lighter</li>

Which of those features is/are the "Upmarket" ones?

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
ahsanford said:
douglaurent said:

The 5D line will eventually get a tilty flippy, but the 1DX line? That's far less certain.

Canon may hold off on this hoping that the short-distance bandwidth of wireless (WiFi, NFC, etc) will allow them to integrate better with phones/mobile devices as the viewscreen. In those difficult situations, wouldn't it be better to control your camera from a comfy chair 5m away, rather than bend over a tiny flip-screen?

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:
jeffa4444 said:
The list if true is plausible except for 19AF points. The T6S / 760d has 19AF points and is way cheaper. The camera has to get 45AF points and the 7260 RGB+IR metering system to be worth either the same or higher price.
If they bring it out with 19AF points I for one would not buy it.

It all boils down to the quality of the points.

19 f8 capable double cross points, well spaced is quite differnt to 19 single axis points clustered in the centre.

spread and accuracy is much more important than simple numbers
Absolutely.

For photography I'd be fine with a great center point (ev -3 and fast like today) supported by 4 reasonably spread out outer points of the same type. Have no use for the 55 other points Canon seems to believe we all need.

For video its of course different. And when I see those AF point counts I always imagine its being implemented for them.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
The best joke ever. Thank you, Sir! :) Controling my camera from a comfy chair 5m away, rather than bend over a tiny flip-screen while lying in the mud would be just perfect. remind me not to forget to bring that comfy director's chair along when I am out and about taking photos :) lol

Orangutan said:
ahsanford said:
douglaurent said:

Canon may hold off on this hoping that the short-distance bandwidth of wireless (WiFi, NFC, etc) will allow them to integrate better with phones/mobile devices as the viewscreen. In those difficult situations, wouldn't it be better to control your camera from a comfy chair 5m away, rather than bend over a tiny flip-screen?

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Listen Canon this is what "some" of us want.

24mp Dual Pixel
Higher flash sync 1/250
45 point AF with at least 9 points at f8
7560 RGB-IR metering (hell the 750 / 760D has this)
Improved DR
Tilting Screen (look at the Olympus one on the basic OMD-E-M10 MKII)
Wi-Fi
GPS
NFC
Anti-flicker
If possible in smaller & lighter package but retaining present 6D layout
Better weather sealing
USB 3.0

Don't care about 4K / 1080P hardly if ever used.

The original is Canon best travel camera strikes the balance between quality pictures & portability. If all of this is in or near what your working on then the current street price of the 5D MKIII is realistic. It also leaves room for a Rebel FF camera that has 19 point AF.

Upvote 0
ok that's it. Canon has decided to keep Canon DSLR sales for photographers, like before the 5d2 period. They obviously see the hybrid concept not as good as having two separate lines for video and photo. I have no idea but I think Canon will lose some serious sales for that decision, because consumers/prosumers buy the DSLR bodies based on Specs and 4K is at front now even if they never use it. And the C100 user is an entirely different user, a smaller market than DSLR shoppers.

6D MKII seems purely for photographers.

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
CanonFanBoy said:
For the first 6 months maybe. The 6D is $1,499 at Adorama now and includes a free battery (Body only). It released at $2,099 (Body only).

Its very likely to follow that same pricing IMHO..

Like I keep repeating to everyone, the 6D II will basically be a full frame 80D with magnesium body.. If we are lucky it will have a tilt screen. Slightly smaller form factor to match the overall size of the 80D will likely happen. The reason for this is to keep R&D cost to a minimum and keep cashing in on technology already developed. The 6D series is Canon's budget FF DSLR. I do not expect dual card slots, perhaps dual SD at most.. 4k will not happen. 1080_60p most likely will.

Upvote 0
Well, this has my attention now. I'm in the process of parting with my 7D, which I've been mostly happy with since i bought in 2012. The learning curve was steep, but it has been the tool of which most of my photos have been taken. I was planning on either getting a 7D2, or scraping and parting with my 6D and a lens or two to buy the 5D4. I've been happy with the 6D as far as travel, landscape and still shots, but anything with action is a challenge due to the AF system. However, a 6D2 with DPAF, improved AF and increased focus points, all I need to hear now is that it will be at least 6fps and I'll be ready to line up when it's available.

This will be the first time I follow the development of a new Canon product with great interest and intent.

Greg

Upvote 0