What I would like to see in 2024

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This started as a continuation of the best and worst and I decided to change this into more of an opinion piece about what I wanted to see from Canon in 2024. These are my views only, that’s why it’s an opinion piece. 2023 was a great year for Canon. Craig and I had a

See full article...

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I'm a little high on meds this week as I hurt my back pretty bad. I'll apologize in advance if something in this article doesn't make sense :p But I wanted to get it out sooner than later.

I had something else in this article but I thought it may be a little more controversial so decided to wait on that. I'll write THAT up in a longer article near the end of the month.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
My wish for 2024 is a RF 180 or 200mm macrolens.

My wishlist for this lens ranked by importance (to me ;)), from high to lower:
  • Same (or better) optical quality as the EF 180 mm
  • 1:1 magnification
  • Fast AF
  • Compatible with RF extenders (for increased working distance with dragonflies, butterflies and other insects)
  • Sufficient number of aperture blades for a round opening with good bokeh
  • Image stabilization
  • Internal focusing (like the EF 180mm)
  • Focus limiter for close up focus range i.e. from closest focus to +/- 1 meter
  • F 2.8
  • Removable tripod collar
  • Weight: equivalent to, or lighter than, the EF 180mm
And please NO:
  • Spherical Aberration Control.
  • Focus shift.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

• Fast AF
  • Compatible with RF extenders (for increased working distance with dragonflies, butterflies and other insects)
  • Image stabilization
  • F 2.8
And please NO:
  • Focus shift.
You saved me the effort of typing all that, thanks!

I also wish for an EVF-less (or humpless like the sony a6xxxx) RF body that is small and capable, like the original M or M6II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com

• Fast AF
  • Image stabilization
  • F 2.8
And please NO:
  • Focus shift.
yeah that's been on alot of wish lists for .. decades now? when did the EF one come out.. 1995 or so wasn't it?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
yeah that's been on alot of wish lists for .. decades now? when did the EF one come out.. 1995 or so wasn't it?
Yeah, 1996 according to the interwebs. The one I bought in 2020 had a production year of 2019 according to the serial number, so it is still being produced.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I'm a little high on meds this week as I hurt my back pretty bad. I'll apologize in advance if something in this article doesn't make sense :p But I wanted to get it out sooner than later.

I had something else in this article but I thought it may be a little more controversial so decided to wait on that. I'll write THAT up in a longer article near the end of the month.

Get well soon Richard

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
  • Sad
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
I would like to see some lenses that already exist for other systems - 20-70mm (Sony), lightweight 100mm 1:1 macro (Panasonic), 50mm f/1.4 (Sony).

there certainly some lenses I would love to see. My interest is probably on a smaller APS-C camera like the M6 Mark II was, and a good 32mm 1.4, 55mm and a 15-55 F2.8.

I was debating on writing up something like that, but thought it was too use case specific and way too specific to me.

I would literally sell a kidney for AE-1 RF mount camera body, but then again, I'm old...

in a perfect world a global shutter 100MP AE-1 styled RF camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

Canon Rumors Premium
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
there certainly some lenses I would love to see. My interest is probably on a smaller APS-C camera like the M6 Mark II was[...]
Does it need to be APS-C? The R8 shows that the sensor isn't the limiting factor in the camera size. Furthermore, the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses are all FF and tiny, but sadly no small EF-M11-22 equivalent for FF.

Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
Does it need to be APS-C? The R8 shows that the sensor isn't the limiting factor in the camera size. Furthermore, the 16, 28, 50 and 24-50 lenses are all FF and tiny, but sadly no small EF-M11-22 equivalent for FF.
It's more the size (and cost) of the overall kit can be much smaller with APS-C than with full frame. With respective compromises.

Upvote 0

Richard CR

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2017
Canada
www.canonnews.com
My wish for 2024. A Firmware upgrade for the R5 that allows a pre shoot buffer when you half press the shutter button.

If there is an R5 ll I wish they would but a dimple on either the zoom or info button. I shoot in cold weather and use gloves.
I don't know why they put that on the m6 Mark ii and then promptly forgot to put it anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2012
in a perfect world a global shutter 100MP AE-1 styled RF camera.
I owned an AE-1 and an A1 and see no reason to go back to them. In a perfect world, Canon would stop changing their user interface with each new introduction. My preference would be to standardize all their middle level cameras on the R6-2 interface.

Since we're doing wish lists, I still want a 24MP R7-2 with a global shutter. Cue the laughter.

Upvote 0