1Ds Mark IV in 2011 or 2012 [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Athadam

I think many of you are getting ahead of yourselves and are seriously getting wayyyy too excited over this.

Many of you have certain wants and needs but you have to realize this... There will always be complainers. There are a lot of sports shooters out there who will be furious if Canon decides to drop ISO improvements and up the IQ and dynamic range on a new camera, but equally there will be tons of landscapers who would be angry at a MP drop.

Canon will have to accommodate both parties - as they have always done by taking the middle path.

You guys are making it seem like most of the previous Canons are a piece of crap... Seriously, we are 10 years into the digital age and if you can't make a good image with what you've got :x you should really re-evaluate your skills.

I mean the 7D, 5D mark ii, and 1d Mark 4 are all great cameras. Certain aspects of them are inferior compared to Nikons - maybe but so will every Canon camera in the future. And the same can be said about Nikons.

I know - I know this is a rumours site, but just know that what your needs are.... doesn't reflect the needs and wants of the mass consumers

Upvote 0
Tonyflo said:
....flaws as some have noted:

- Poor HDMI ports/location of ports/HDMI connectors break easily
- Drops to 480p when using external monitor
- Main LCD not viewable when monitoring
- No HD-SDI monitoring support (need converters, which are a pain)
- Rolling shutter when camera is moved quickly
- Occasional aliasing, moire, and line skipping
- No 1080p or even 720p at 60fps (therefore hard to use for slowmo)
- Poor audio and controls
- Good in low light, but not as good as Nikon
- Only 1080p -- not 3k or 4k; No "raw" video mode

I wouldn't mind next video-centric camera body having less megapixels than 5d2's current 21mpx
as long as that cures some/all of these issues.

Then, if Canon is going to take longer for the 1Ds4,
I hope they'll incorporate Foveon-like uninterpolated color sensor / no AA filter.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
Canon 14-24 said:
To those that are wishing/wanting a 3D like camera, would they still pony the extra dough for it?
With the 7D and 1D series the difference in price mainly to a superior AF system is quite dramatic. I doubt Canon would release a FF superior AF digital camera for under $3grand starting. I would assume a price of $3499 going up seems about right (though Canon would then seem to 1up me as usual and price it something like $3799/3999+), but then again that's like a 7D + 5D2 right there.

If this camera comes along I'm ready to buy. Depending on specs, my price range is $2500-$3500 body-only. It doesn't need to cost more than that as the competition has already proven. I'm just a hobbyist with no desire to profit from photography so I'm not rushed, but I've been ready to upgrade to FF for quite a while now.

Upvote 0
R

Richard

Stone said:
This doesn't surprise me at all, as the world economy continues to turn around and disposable income goes up Canon needs sales to fund R&D for the next generation. The 1Ds has never sold in great numbers and releasing a new $6 - $8K body that will NOT sell in great numbers probably doesn't make financial sense right now.

Yet there are a group of elite users that demand such a camera. These users also tend to have the coin to drop on 10K+ of lenses, multiple bodies, and CPS memberships. Also, people that use such a camera are influencers, a good word from them or some excellent work made by can build sales for Canon on the low end.

Upvote 0
A

Athadam

One of the main reasons as to why Nikon or Canon make these 8 grand flagship cameras, is not so that people will really buy it - but so that they remain the class leaders in what they do.

They will always have a highly expensive camera, that shows off the best of what they can possibily do - to represent the furthest capabilities of Nikon or Canon.

For example.. Even though ALL other lower nikons camers suck - you can't say all Nikon suck because the D3x is still leading the IQ and MP count.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
Richard said:
Stone said:
This doesn't surprise me at all, as the world economy continues to turn around and disposable income goes up Canon needs sales to fund R&D for the next generation. The 1Ds has never sold in great numbers and releasing a new $6 - $8K body that will NOT sell in great numbers probably doesn't make financial sense right now.

Yet there are a group of elite users that demand such a camera. These users also tend to have the coin to drop on 10K+ of lenses, multiple bodies, and CPS memberships. Also, people that use such a camera are influencers, a good word from them or some excellent work made by can build sales for Canon on the low end.

I agree with this although elite is a relative term, these professionals might be among the best at what they do and they have a certain amount of influence because of it. It doesn't change the fact that the 1Ds is a low volume seller and has a significantly lower impact to Canon's bottom line. The lowly Rebels, XXD and "lower end" XD cameras are what keep the doors open and the lights on. So my original argument remains, the 1Ds has essentially 1 competitor and it won't be upgraded for probably another 2 years, Canon has time to release the 1Ds later as its specs are current with the competition. I understand flagship cameras and why they exist but my point is, the impact to Canon will be minimal if they don't release a 1DsIV in the near term and they know it. They can, however shake up the market by introducing a high performance FF camera that's within the reach of the non-elite professional and advanced hobbyist, a market with a greater potential for immediate profitability and growth.

Many of us can drop $15K on a pro body and L glass no credit cards necessary, and I'll probably never take a photo for money. I've probably blown more on greens fees and alcohol over the past couple of years, but I simply don't spend enough time taking photos to justify that kind of investment. Perhaps one day that will change and I might actually give a flip about the opinions of the "elite"...

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Athadam said:
One of the main reasons as to why Nikon or Canon make these 8 grand flagship cameras, is not so that people will really buy it - but so that they remain the class leaders in what they do.
"Class leader" and price / performance leader are two different things. The video DSLR market has exploded, as everybody's noticed, and at the moment the 5D Mark II arguably gives them more prestige (and money) than the 1D and 1Ds models do. But even that doesn't matter - if you just look at the spacing between model releases in each price category you'll see that there are two things missing right now - first, a new DSLR to compete with the D3000 / D3100 (rumors here insist one thing and then another - could just be that Canon will continue to flog older, video-less models for a while), and second, a new 5D Mark II update.

The 5D Mark II has been updated roughly every two years and it's time for another (though the wild card is that they've been reshuffling the lineup of late).

The one hole I see in Canon's high-end DSLR lineup is on wide-angle sports coverage, useful for situations like skateboarding (already mentioned here) and snowboarding. The 1.3x crop factor doesn't cut it. But if you're shooting field sports from the sidelines, in most situations the crop factor won't hurt too much - doesn't squeeze resolution as much as 1.6x, and a 300mm lens becomes nearly a 400mm, a 400 becomes a 500+, and so on. Undoubtedly the crop factor makes juggling an inventory of lenses more complicated but in many cases it saves money to shoot with slightly wider glass.

Upvote 0
C

crjedi

This rumor makes sense. I am thinking Canon wants to shift the focus on making the 1Ds MkIV the premiere dSLR then the next 5D. The 5DMkII changed the world but it didn't justify many to jump on to 1DMkIV with its price. Maybe they'll make the 1DsMkIV the RAW or 2K/4K cam that may go against RED while the 5DMkIII will still have .h264 with much better AF and complete feature set for video and improved sensor. I hope this is what happens. I just wish for the 24-70IS for Photokina.

Upvote 0
Re: Pissed off and disappointed

I can't believe all these long waits for new stuff from Canon. Every time a 1 series body is introduced it either has a "big" problem, or just isn't as good as people expected for such a long wait. As an exlusive 1Dx user for 8 years I am disappointed and angry that Canon doesn't see that they are lagging behind Nikon and they don't give a crap. I understand the money makers are the consumer and prosumer cameras but there are 2 REAL choices in the Pro world: Canon or Nikon. The rest are just gravy. The D3 is, unfortunately, a better camera than the current 1D4.
The 5D2 is a nice camera but lacking the feel and focusing of the 1D's and I refuse to own one. Actually, I did own one for 2 days and I hated it. It went back to B&H right away.
I want a bigger MP camera with less noise and faster focusing, even in dim light, where the 1D4 really fails, and I want it soon!
What's this bullcrap about 2012? The world will end on 12.21.12 and I want lots of megapixels to capture it!!! :p

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
baronfizzy said:
The whole post that this thread is based on is ridiculous. If Canon wasn't bringing out the 1Ds Mark IV this year, why would testers have had the cameras for several months now? How long do testers normally have cameras for?

A camera, especially one as complex as the 1Ds can easily be in testing for well over a year. If significant bugs are found, parts of the system might need to be tweaked or even completely re-engineered and testing begins all over again for that system. Working 1DsIV prototypes have probably been in existence since 2008....

Upvote 0
R

RichT

Re: don't think so

Stone said:
AJ said:
I'm not buying it. 5D3 ahead of 1Ds4? 1Ds is supposed to be the flagship. Already folks are buying 5D2 over 1Ds3 to save coin, similar IQ for a lot less dough. Why would Canon put their cutting-edge stuff in a $2.5 k box (5D3) when they can charge $8k for it by sticking it in a 1Ds body.

Would you rather sell 5,000 cameras at $8k a pop or 50,000 cameras at $2.5K? Its all about total revenue. Very, very few people amateur or professional can justify the pricetag of a 1Ds....

If it had a video mode that would knock your socks off you can bet they'd sell a LOT more than 5,000 of them. In fact it would make sense to debut such a feature first in a 1Ds, letting the early adopters pay out the wazoo for them (these are people who think getting a 2/3" sensor video camera for $5000 is a steal), and then once after that initial wave has waned THEN come out with the 5D3 with the same features for much less. Is it milking the (not so) poor customers for everything they've got? Absolutely. Does it make good business sense? Absolutely

Upvote 0
N

nzmargolies

this is the key a lot of people are missing. I know i started my system with canon because i saw that they led the professional market with their flagship cameras. I wanted to a) join a company that would allow me to (in my dreams) give me a camera to work up to and b) know im using the same brand as the pros.

if they lose the flagship market, selling their cheaper models wont be as easy.

Richard said:
Stone said:

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
nzmargolies said:
this is the key a lot of people are missing. I know i started my system with canon because i saw that they led the professional market with their flagship cameras. I wanted to a) join a company that would allow me to (in my dreams) give me a camera to work up to and b) know im using the same brand as the pros.

if they lose the flagship market, selling their cheaper models wont be as easy.

Richard said:
Stone said:

No one said Canon should abandon their flagships, what I think they're doing is looking at the high-end market and seeing that they don't NEED to upgrade their flagship at this time since the 1DsIII is still very competitive with the competition. Also it makes more sense to wait until we're closer to a D4x release so Nikon doesn't have a year to study Canon's new flagship which is what happened with the D3x.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I actually feel sorry for Canon (and Nikon). It seems like they have a real dilemma.

Flagship cameras are essential to their business model. But, these cameras take a considerable amount of time and resources to develop. Technology is changing so rapidly that they run the risk that by the time the research, development and testing cycle is complete, the camera ends up lagging behind on technology. But, if you rush it to market and there's a problem, your reputation is shot.

On top of all that, when your customers are spending $6,000 to $8,000 they expect a camera that is going to be state of the art for more than six months or a year. It's one thing to spend $1,000 on a camera and then have it replaced with a new model in a year. It's quite another to invest $6,000 in a camera that feels obsolete after a year.

I seriously doubt that these high-end cameras represent much if any profit to either company. They need them to maintain their reputations, but they can't be big profit makers. And, to make matters worse, they have to devote resources to these models, while constantly fending off challenges to their other lines from companies like Pentax, which desperately want a piece of the high-end "prosumer" market.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I don't feel sorry at all. This is what they do and do well.

Releasing a 5D successor makes good sense if they know they can sell them like crackcakes to film and still shooters alike. Even at $3500 they will sell thousands of them in the first few months. Hell they could use the same or rejiggered 21mpx sensor, address the myriad video features missing on the current 5D2, improve the AF, weather sealing, and give it a swivel screen and please the masses (mostly b/c there will always be swivel screen haters). Then with more R&D time Canon can leapfrog all competition and be competitive in medium format mpx range (DR will need to match of course) of 50mpx. 1Ds4 can become the flagship again for landscape and studio work in 2011. A new zoom 14-24 2.8 and a new 35 1.2 would complement perfectly.

unfocused said:
I actually feel sorry for Canon (and Nikon). It seems like they have a real dilemma.

Flagship cameras are essential to their business model. But, these cameras take a considerable amount of time and resources to develop. Technology is changing so rapidly that they run the risk that by the time the research, development and testing cycle is complete, the camera ends up lagging behind on technology. But, if you rush it to market and there's a problem, your reputation is shot.

On top of all that, when your customers are spending $6,000 to $8,000 they expect a camera that is going to be state of the art for more than six months or a year. It's one thing to spend $1,000 on a camera and then have it replaced with a new model in a year. It's quite another to invest $6,000 in a camera that feels obsolete after a year.

I seriously doubt that these high-end cameras represent much if any profit to either company. They need them to maintain their reputations, but they can't be big profit makers. And, to make matters worse, they have to devote resources to these models, while constantly fending off challenges to their other lines from companies like Pentax, which desperately want a piece of the high-end "prosumer" market.

Upvote 0
R

Rattle

MadButcher said:
Very strange when the 5D mk3 would be released sooner than the 1Ds mk4.

I also want the a 'afforable' FF that can keep tracking my active son (running).
I would have bought the 1D mk4 if it was FF.

Nikon-guys must be laughing.
I don't know many sports, real stuff not staged, photographers who long for a FF body.

It doesn't matter which forum you read there is always going to be some person that is not happy with the current product offering. That doesn't make them a bad company. The key to market development is to appease the masses knowing full well that there are going to be some people left in the dust.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.