50mm 1.2L not focusing, ring feels stuck??

Hi, on using my fav 50mm 1.2 L the other day I noticed it wasn't focusing in AF, then switched to manual focus and realised the ring was kinda stuck, not completely but there is a lot of resistance there now that wasn't before. And turning it does not affect focus. Seems like focus / lens elements may be wedged /disengaged inside.

I think it may have taken a small drop the other day when some kit spilled out of my case, only about 30cm max but onto a carpeted concrete floor. I've dropped lenses more than this before with no effects so did not think anything of it at the time.

Going to take it in to get looked tomorrow anyway, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Took it to repair shop today, apparently they are very delicate and even a really minor bump will cause the heavy elements to come off the plastic rails they are aligned with. So not built like a take at all!! would be that the flimsy feeling 1.4 is much more tougher inside, but certainly doesn't feel that way.
Bad news it it may need a whole new barrel assembly as its quicker/easier for them to do that but prob more costly in the end.

Upvote 0

Menace

New Zealand
Apr 5, 2012
New Zealand
klickflip said:
Took it to repair shop today, apparently they are very delicate and even a really minor bump will cause the heavy elements to come off the plastic rails they are aligned with. So not built like a take at all!! would be that the flimsy feeling 1.4 is much more tougher inside, but certainly doesn't feel that way.
Bad news it it may need a whole new barrel assembly as its quicker/easier for them to do that but prob more costly in the end.
:(

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
klickflip said:

Dropping a heavy lens 30 cm (a foot) to a concrete floor is a huge shock, even if it has some carpet on it. Those heavy lens elements magnify the shock. A drop like that will do some level of damage to most lenses, even if its not readily apparent. The amount of damage depends on how it lands.

Make sure the shop is a Canon Authorized Repair facility, it depends on the Country, but in the USA, Canon does not supply the software and test fixtures required to align and adjust the autofocus to independent repair shops. That means that it might be repaired, but still need to be sent to Canon for a expensive adjustment.

Upvote 0