Are These The Next Canon Cameras To Be Announced? [CR1]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jalps said:
An M5 mk II w/ 4k DPAF would pull a huge share of the 80D market, myself included, looking for a more lightweight and compact option.

+1. This would be a landgrab for the amateur videographers, but presumably the 90D will get the similar 4K + DPAF treatment when it comes out next year.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Uneternal said:
Actually, these are what the market wants.

Are they? In the price rankings here in Europe, 6 of 10 cameras in the top 10 are a full frame with A7 III ranking first. That doesn't tell you about actual sales but the interest of people (clicked offers).

link?

i just went to amazon.de and amazon.fr and saw no such thing.

funny thing is the best selling compact system camera in amazon.gr which is usually VERY sony weighted is the EOS-M50, the M10 being 5th. Sony takes spot 2,3 and panasonic takes spot 4.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
While I am a happy M5 owner, there are certainly a few things that could be improved. Global electronic shutter (not happening anytime soon) and fully articulating rear screen would be at the top of my list. However, if Canon releases a v2 of this camera before releasing a quick medium telephoto prime as well as a quicker and higher quality telephoto zoom, my head will explode.

Upvote 0
As I'm realizing the joy that is my M50 and my introduction to the EF-M system, I have to admit Canon feels like a sleeping mirrorless giant that has been making moves behind the scene. I already want what the M5 II could be compared to the M50 (better build, more control dials, more pro features, etc.). I just sincerely hope it isn't the "big" mirrorless camera they're planning on releasing this year.

Upvote 0
brad-man said:
While I am a happy M5 owner, there are certainly a few things that could be improved. Global electronic shutter (not happening anytime soon) and fully articulating rear screen would be at the top of my list. However, if Canon releases a v2 of this camera before releasing a quick medium telephoto prime as well as a quicker and higher quality telephoto zoom, my head will explode.

I 2nd this...The rumored 32mm f/1.4 sounds promissing...and might be a good pair for the M5 II. But the line still leaves a lot to be desired.

Others might know, but I really don't think the EF-M mount will cover FF. I hope Canon reserves the EF-M mount for APS-C to keep things small and compact...and just makes FF mirrorless with the normal EF mount. I already have one adapter for EF to EF-M...I don't want to have to get yet another to use my EF glass on a FF mount....

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
in body IS
not going to happen, not sure why people keep wishing this.

In body IS gives IS to every non-IS prime. Is it really that hard to understand why people would want that? :eek:

You can want all you want but it's simply not realistic. Trying to predict future Canon offerings and idly fantasizing about a "perfect" Canon camera are two different things.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Kit. said:
Uneternal said:
Are they?
Aren't they?

Uneternal said:
In the price rankings here in Europe, 6 of 10 cameras in the top 10 are a full frame with A7 III ranking first. That doesn't tell you about actual sales but the interest of people (clicked offers).
In which "price ranking" can I click on a G7X III offer?

What is a "price ranking"?

I will assume it does not mean, most expensive = top ;D

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
ahsanford said:
jalps said:
An M5 mk II w/ 4k DPAF would pull a huge share of the 80D market, myself included, looking for a more lightweight and compact option.

+1. This would be a landgrab for the amateur videographers, but presumably the 90D will get the similar 4K + DPAF treatment when it comes out next year.

+2. Almost certainly going to share the same sensor and main features, just like the M5 does with the 80D.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
in body IS

In body IS gives IS to every non-IS prime. Is it really that hard to understand why people would want that? :eek:

In body vibration would give massages to everyone. I bet some people want that, too.

I don’t think either of those is more likely than the other. :p

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Etienne said:
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:
in body IS

You can want all you want but it's simply not realistic. Trying to predict future Canon offerings and idly fantasizing about a "perfect" Canon camera are two different things.

Not realistic?
So only Sony can do in-body IS, and they do it really well.
You think very little of Canon, and expect less.

BTW ... if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I have a Canon M5, as well as a Canon 80D (and a number of older DSLRs, etc). While I generally prefer the 80D (for a number of factors including ergonomics, battery life, lens compatibility, etc).

However, I bought the M5 for 3 specific reasons:

1) Samyang / Rokinon 12mm f/2 (a great lens for astro photography)
2) When I need / want to take along a smaller camera / lens combo
3) I bought it 2nd hand, but in as new condition, for a very low price (along with 15-45mm, 18-55mm, and 18-150mm lenses).

If Canon update the M5 with certain goodies that will be of value to me, I will probably sell my M5 (with 18-55mm) and upgrade to the M5 II. I would make some $ selling the M5 on the current 2nd hand market.

Most important aspects to me would be good sensor / IQ, at least as good ergonomics and potentially better AF (e.g. low light, etc).

PJ

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Uneternal said:
Actually, these are what the market wants.

Are they? In the price rankings here in Europe, 6 of 10 cameras in the top 10 are a full frame with A7 III ranking first. That doesn't tell you about actual sales but the interest of people (clicked offers).

Looking at the numbers, which I don’t have right now, but were on Thom Hogan’s site, Canon’s mirrorless line moved to number one, and is the fastest growing. Sony may have one or two cameras that, themselves, rank higher, but overall, Canon is beating them, after having been criticized as not getting into it early enough. Canon’s marketshare is rising faster too.

I have big hopes here. The new M5 II looks good. When we see all the final specs, we’ll know,what advances Canon fit in, other than what we know now. I still think this leaves room for a FF model.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
brad-man said:

Oh, I hope not. We really don’t want exploding heads, talking heads, yes. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
CarlMillerPhoto said:
brad-man said:

I 2nd this...The rumored 32mm f/1.4 sounds promissing...and might be a good pair for the M5 II. But the line still leaves a lot to be desired.

Others might know, but I really don't think the EF-M mount will cover FF. I hope Canon reserves the EF-M mount for APS-C to keep things small and compact...and just makes FF mirrorless with the normal EF mount. I already have one adapter for EF to EF-M...I don't want to have to get yet another to use my EF glass on a FF mount....

Canon said that that mount won’t cover FF. That horse is out of the barn, and running.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
M5 II improvements Id like:

Can use the bluetooth remote.
Faster AF/tracking.
Bigger battery/grip.
True silent shooting.
Digital zoom for video (like 200D)
Stronger tripod mount (plastic around mine has cracked)
USB charging option
Ability to record when using phone app.
Lockable exposure dial or less exposed.
Ability to turn off auto VF switch sensor but still use info button to switch VF/screen view
Ability to lock various controls to not change b/w VF and screen (maybe this can be done already?) eg ISO.

Obviously there are others but these are some I see mentioned less often. If some of these can be done and Ive missed how, be v.grateful to be corrected!

Upvote 0