Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:
just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too,
What stops you from buying some other brand, then?

Large investment in class and camera TBH and I hope that they'll actually deliver a FFML that is useful, failing that I'll agree it's time to look elsewhere as a friend has sold up and jumped over to the Sony A73 he's very happy with his new investment and hasn't missed his 6d2 yet...
I guess I don't understand: how you, as an individual, choose to spend your money is not of concern to Canon. They're interested only in the aggregate expenditure (and profits). So far, they've done better on that than other brands. Like you, I don't have the money to maintain multiple kits from different manufacturers, but I don't see that as Canon's fault or problem: they make their product choices, then I decide how (or if) to spend my money.

Honestly, I have an even more basic lack of understanding. I don't understand what people are looking for in a camera. I like my toys as much as the next guy, or else I wouldn't be on the is forum. But, I can't figure out what it is that people think they are missing.

From a work standpoint, yes, there are some aspects that I would like to see improved because they might help me get better shots (autofocus for example), but even in those aspects, I know that any technological improvement is only going to make a marginal difference and the thing that will really help is my improving my own skill set.

A camera is a pretty basic instrument. It takes pictures. I can't help thinking that all the things that people feel Canon is deficient in really aren't going to make any difference at all in the quality of their work.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
melgross said:
If it doesn’t support tethered shooting, I wouldn’t be surprised. These aren’t intended as studio cameras, or even location oriented for production useage...

When people start complaining about niche uses like tethered shooting, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to be unhappy about.

Upvote 0

kiwiengr

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2015
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:
just more camera's from a company that many of us are frustrated with yet that frustration is never listened too,

Apparently most of the people who comment on this forum have given up on Canon and, thus, presumably buy other product.

Prior to the news release in respect of the 70~200 2.8L III, most were saying there could not be much to do in order to upgrade a damn fine lens. After the release there were multiple complaints about the lack of change.

It would seem that most are Canon bashers, aka trolls....

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
kiwiengr said:
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:

Apparently most of the people who comment on this forum have given up on Canon and, thus, presumably buy other product.

Prior to the news release in respect of the 70~200 2.8L III, most were saying there could not be much to do in order to upgrade a damn fine lens. After the release there were multiple complaints about the lack of change.

I think the majority were still expecting a more significant update, if not optically then in other ways. For example a new feature, a filter window in the hood, updated IS, something. Not just some coatings and a paintjob.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
@unfocused
a camera that does not consistently work as (reasonably) expected will ruin all the creative ideas, all the effort, all the time and energy i have invested to create a certain image and/or capture the right moment.

just a slight back-focus that went unnoticed during the shoot, and bang that stunning portrait of the stunning model is ... useless, garbage, not sharp where it should be. my Canon EOS M is a simple device. i know, it cannot capture a leopard jumping to kill that monkey, but i would expect, that the darn AF field marking on the touch LCD is NOT smaller than the actual AF field used to focus. it drives me nuts, when it focuses on a fence in the background rather than on the face in the foreground, although the (single point) af field is right there and does not extend beyond that face. shot ruined. not my fault. gear fault, stupid Canon's fault.

or why no usb tether in the current "flagship" canon EOS mirrorless cam M5 but no prob on even low level DSLRs. why freaking limited awful dumbed-down p&s powershot firmware in any EOS camera, especially in one that costs a grand?

correct, not everybody will ever use every feature, but still. i want to work WITH my tools to get the imagrs i'd like to get, not having to work AROUND my tools limitations or FIGHT the tools weurdnesses. so, in short: strong criticism more than justified. and no need to constantly lowball expectations and pre-emptively apologize "infallible" Canon.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
melgross said:
If it doesn’t support tethered shooting, I wouldn’t be surprised. These aren’t intended as studio cameras, or even location oriented for production useage.

These are on the hand street, candid and walking around cameras. They’re small and lightweight for that purpose. Using them tethered basically defeats the purpose of the M series.

Tethered shooting is so 2017....

Wireless! That's the way to go! Your camera is going to have WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, and quite realistically, it will be the same basic code on all the Canon cameras at the core of the functionality...

As to the concept of using such a small camera in a "tethered" shoot, when shooting a performance the audience finds it distracting when I stand in front of the band and take pictures, but with a "tethered" camera I can bury it among the gear and it is out of sight..... and with an M sized camera, I can clip it to a microphone stand, put it on the piano, clip it a music stand, or give it it's own stand and, being so small, the audience does not realize that it is there....

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
unfocused said:
When people start complaining about niche uses like tethered shooting, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel to find something to be unhappy about.

Bullsh*t.

You may not think it's important, and in fact I stated as such in my message. But for me this isn't a minor complaint, it's a critical application for how I wish to use the camera.

I have no doubt that it would have almost zero commercial loss to Canon if they don't have decent tethering.

And from all accounts the M50 does, so the M5 II should too.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

You may not think it's important, and in fact I stated as such in my message. But for me this isn't a minor complaint, it's a critical application for how I wish to use the camera.

I have no doubt that it would have almost zero commercial loss to Canon if they don't have decent tethering.

that's actually good news. i didn't know that and went looking for information:

10. Send images to smartphone WHILE shooting through the app or EOS utility
The EOS M50 has the ability to continuously send images to your smartphone while you are shooting. You are then able to see at a glance what you have taken, what is sharp and what can be transferred to social platforms later on. The camera is also the first EOS M-series camera that can also take advantage of Canon’s EOS Utility software, so that you are able to be tethered to a computer and use the large screen of your computer to accurately grab focus and fire the camera. This is great when you are shooting flatlays at home, where the camera is at an awkward position. Nearly all camera functions are available with EOS Utility and you can even fire the shutter from the software as well!

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/eos-m50/eos-m50-listicle.shtml

that was actually important for me as well, because it allows the EOS-M's to be used as pretty much the go-to deep sky astro cameras.

that makes the M5 Mark II by itself a pretty much a mandatory "must upgrade"

My understanding when Magic lantern went hunting for a solution with the original M's and tethering that it was a problem with EOS utility more than the M's themselves. Both sides must have gotten fixed in some of their sub releases for this to work.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
rrcphoto said:
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

The EOS M50 has the ability to continuously send images to your smartphone while you are shooting. You are then able to see at a glance what you have taken, what is sharp and what can be transferred to social platforms later on. The camera is also the first EOS M-series camera that can also take advantage of Canon’s EOS Utility software, so that you are able to be tethered to a computer and use the large screen of your computer to accurately grab focus and fire the camera. This is great when you are shooting flatlays at home, where the camera is at an awkward position. Nearly all camera functions are available with EOS Utility and you can even fire the shutter from the software as well!

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2018/eos-m50/eos-m50-listicle.shtml

that was actually important for me as well, because it allows the EOS-M's to be used as pretty much the go-to deep sky astro cameras.

My understanding when Magic lantern went hunting for a solution with the original M's and tethering that it was a problem with EOS utility more than the M's themselves. Both sides must have gotten fixed in some of their sub releases for this to work.

I actually don't care about smartphone tethering (not that this isn't important to other people), but tethering to PC using the full desktop application, and being able to set camera exposures and check focus on a laptop is critical to me.

In a heartbeat, I would buy a 1D priced Canon if there were that had wireless tethering that is as fast as today's USB2 tethered speeds. I would probably buy a 5D priced Canon if one came out where the USB tethering to a PC were at similar speeds to UHSII cards (like, 300MB/s using a USB3 tether).

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
blackcoffee17 said:
kiwiengr said:
Orangutan said:
TonyPicture said:

I think the majority were still expecting a more significant update, if not optically then in other ways. For example a new feature, a filter window in the hood, updated IS, something. Not just some coatings and a paintjob.

As always, I think we should wait until the tests are in. This lens is already superb. The question of what they needed to do isn’t something we can guess at.

Slight improvements in focus consistency, IS, contrast, flare, etc. All of that can be improved just enough to make the lens noticeably better. Internal changes to the mechanics won’t be advertised in a quick marketing blurb, but can also make a noticeable difference. We don’t need a completely revised optical formula every time. The closer one gets to perfection, the less one can do to improve it further, without a radical re-do, which could bring the price way up.

Notice that the price is just about where it was. I was very surprised to see that. I thought we would be looking down the barrel of $3,000, considering how much more the II was over the I.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

I honestly don’t find tethering, for this camera, to be a selling point for 99.99% of the buyers of it.

I’m not saying that I’m against it, just that it isn’t what people are going to be concerned about. You’re one of that small few.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
rrcphoto said:
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

I actually don't care about smartphone tethering (not that this isn't important to other people), but tethering to PC using the full desktop application, and being able to set camera exposures and check focus on a laptop is critical to me.

In a heartbeat, I would buy a 1D priced Canon if there were that had wireless tethering that is as fast as today's USB2 tethered speeds. I would probably buy a 5D priced Canon if one came out where the USB tethering to a PC were at similar speeds to UHSII cards (like, 300MB/s using a USB3 tether).

There's times where I will happily take the time to tether to my 15" laptop rather than using the small screen on my phone via wireless. I've got a 15ft usb cord in my kit just for this purpose.
Recently I set up to take a series of sunset shots and took all the shots tethered about 12ft away from my camera sitting in a lawn chair with my laptop on my lap and eating pretzels and having a beer all at the same time! LOL

Upvote 0
melgross said:
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

I honestly don’t find tethering, for this camera, to be a selling point for 99.99% of the buyers of it.

I’m not saying that I’m against it, just that it isn’t what people are going to be concerned about. You’re one of that small few.

You know the selling points for 99.99% of buyers? Wow, you must know a lot of people!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
melgross said:
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

I do wish people actually read what others say before commenting. I said right at the very start that I may be the only person concerned about this (clearly I'm not, but there aren't many of us).

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
jolyonralph said:
melgross said:
jolyonralph said:
unfocused said:

Bullsh*t.

I do wish people actually read what others say before commenting. I said right at the very start that I may be the only person concerned about this (clearly I'm not, but there aren't many of us).

It can be difficult to keep track of the bidding by page 5, especially when there are several threads addressing deficiencies of various Canon M series cameras.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
fullstop said:
Canapologists reading and thought process stops the very second they come to the conclusion "oO, somebody seems to be criticising Canon here! Switch into combat rebuttal mode now!". :p ::)

Like some sort of Pavlov's reflex. :)

That's why i sometimes feel as if i were amongst Canon marketing people / and or shills only.

Quite a few stopped clocks around here that always give the same answer.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
fullstop said:
Canapologists reading and thought process stops the very second they come to the conclusion "oO, somebody seems to be criticising Canon here! Switch into combat rebuttal mode now!". :p ::)

Like some sort of Pavlov's reflex. :)

That's why i sometimes feel as if i were amongst Canon marketing people / and or shills only.

No, you're just amongst some people who value different things than you. I suspect that you genuinely don't believe that there exist photographers who think that DSLRs are better tools than mirrorless cameras for some applications, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary - like the world cup sidelines if you turn on your TV. How many mirrorless cameras do you see there being used by the paid, professional photographers? That's not tribalism or brand loyalty - it's a simple matter of the best tool for the job at hand.

You also think it's ok for you to regurgitate the same stuff all the time, but if people replying to you using the same arguments, you accuse them of being Canon shills. By that token, are you a Sony marketing person and/or shill?

I'm here because I happen to like Canon gear and enjoy talking about photography what might come down the pipe. Why are you? :)

Upvote 0
It looks like ONE of a previous announcements was PARTIALLY CONFIRMED today ( Friday, June 15, 2018) where Apple SUDDENLY ANNOUNCED a megadeal with Oprah Winfre and her production company to supply original programming for iTunes and a multitude of other Apple systems. In terms of money, it will only be about a $500 million to $1.5 Billion dollars deal, so it's really JUST A DROP IN THE BUCKET for Apple and it was NOT what I was expecting --- I was expecting a MUCH BIGGER DEAL !!! Like Apple is buying ALL of Canon for $55 Billion !!!

See following link:
https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/celebrity/oprah-winfrey-signs-mega-deal-apple-original-programming-n883656

Now, My OTHER announcement about an APS-C M5-lookalike SEEMS to also be coming true...No specific details in the main page product announcement but I do expect to see 10-bit 4:2:2 60 fps 4k video and either short flange distance OR a specialized NEW full electrical compatibility pass-through signalling and mounting accessory made by Canon for full frame lenses to go onto the new M5 lookalike! (great for low-budget production cinematographers!)

Again, at Photokina 2018 i DEFINITELY expect to see an XC-15-like one inch sensor interchangeable lens that is a combined 4K video and 20+ megapixel stills camera system perfect for film students and outdoor/harsh environment photographers!

Upvote 0