Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

If I were planning on using an R5/6 as a primary video cam, esp. for 4k/120, this review would worry me a great deal:

https://www.cinema5d.com/canon-eos-...otage-serious-limitation-doubtful-video-tool/
So....first things first. Documentary filmmakers that need to make a lot of interviews just can´t use this cameras! At least only one of it! But there is something this guy from cinema5d forgot! He could just use 4k25fps and then it was good to go! Or in last resort film it at FullHD an dthen upscaled to 4k. Camera overheating does NOT block up the camera! It only blocks some certain filming choices!

And second thing, that´s why EVERYONE that works professionally with image (stills or video) ALWAYS got to the field with 2 or even 3 camera bodies! Never use only one camera! So, for me my plan is to use both R5 and R6 and deal with the overheating swapping cameras!

Third thing....All types of filmmaking are different...If you are conducting a lot of interviews, or need a camera to record for long periods so this EOS R5 it´s just not the camera! Period! For that, get a C200, or a C100 or a C300. This cameras are meant to make short clips and As I said, in wildlife most of the scenes are made in short clips...Unless you have a very powerful scene that get´s longer....But I never experienced more that 10 minutes straight recording! I do believe i can manage heat by using the 2 cameras and if i can´t record 4k25fps HQ (which will be my main choice) I will change to 4k25fps ALL-I and deal with it. 4K120fps are recorded in bursts of seconds, i never saw myself recording more than 10 seconds in 120fps so also in that mode I can´t see a big issue...

Now, I wont lie, yes like I said before I am a bit concerned, but I guess it wont be a problem at all in 80% of the times! Well... I hope! :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Upvote 0
The 6D had a better sensor than the 5D3 in 2013. This cripple hammer nonsense is nothing but emotion from fools who want everything for nothing and compare spec sheets, not how a system comes together in the field. For many, Canon has always had reliable and impressive SYSTEMS and ignored being the hottest spec sheet. Gets the job done without being loud and mouthy about it.

Brand religion is truly lame and lacks critical thinking. Use what you use and stop babbling about it. Truly, No. One. Cares.
Canon always worked for me no matter the conditons; arctic, desert, even inside Hurricane Harvey. This probably had to do with their promise to build cameras “that just work.” My first EOS R bricked and CPS was quick to replace my body. CPS is certainly what complete the ownership experience of owning a Canon product.

When working on a job, one always has a backup. That’s common sense.

Over the past couple of years, Canon has been saying that overheating has been their main challenge in combatting. They have said this in countless interviews; NAB, IBC, InterBee, etc. As a result they were criticized for being too conservative and not willing to let their tech overheat.

Well, here we are. We have fullframe 4Kat up to 30fps with no overheating. Canon could’ve stopped there and delivered a product that doesn’t overheat.

Instead, they pushed it further...4K60, 4K120, 8K30...RAW...all recorded internally.

Now, they’re getting crucified; not criticized...crucified. Haha.

That’s not without questions though...

The 1DXiii shoots 5.5K60 RAW with no overheating.

Is a 5DV, DSLR version of the R5 that doesn’t overheat coming this fall? The LAST 5D.

Upvote 0
So....first things first. Documentary filmmakers that need to make a lot of interviews just can´t use this cameras! At least only one of it! But there is something this guy from cinema5d forgot! He could just use 4k25fps and then it was good to go! Or in last resort film it at FullHD an dthen upscaled to 4k. Camera overheating does NOT block up the camera! It only blocks some certain filming choices!

And second thing, that´s why EVERYONE that works professionally with image (stills or video) ALWAYS got to the field with 2 or even 3 camera bodies! Never use only one camera! So, for me my plan is to use both R5 and R6 and deal with the overheating swapping cameras!

Third thing....All types of filmmaking are different...If you are conducting a lot of interviews, or need a camera to record for long periods so this EOS R5 it´s just not the camera! Period! For that, get a C200, or a C100 or a C300. This cameras are meant to make short clips and As I said, in wildlife most of the scenes are made in short clips...Unless you have a very powerful scene that get´s longer....But I never experienced more that 10 minutes straight recording! I do believe i can manage heat by using the 2 cameras and if i can´t record 4k25fps HQ (which will be my main choice) I will change to 4k25fps ALL-I and deal with it. 4K120fps are recorded in bursts of seconds, i never saw myself recording more than 10 seconds in 120fps so also in that mode I can´t see a big issue...

Now, I wont lie, yes like I said before I am a bit concerned, but I guess it wont be a problem at all in 80% of the times! Well... I hope! :D
apparently all of the 4k recording options for the R6 are downsampled so all modes are limited by heat. Only the R5 can do 4k 30p unlimited by heat in it's pixel binning / line skipping mode..

Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
" Some answers for you about the Canon R5:
1. Quality is the same internal vs external up to 4K60, whether HQ or not.
2. External doesn't overheat up to 4K60 (non-HQ) for at least 3 hours.
3. External does overheat at 4KHQ oversampled 24 & 30p after 75 mins.
4. There's no 4KHQ 60p."

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Autofocus must be quite good, but more importantly he put raw DNG files for download and I must say the dynamic range must be very good. ISO 400 shots look like 5DIV at ISO 100, and ISO 100 shots are much better. Unfortunately there isn't many deep shadows but from what I could see, the dynamic range will be better than 5DIV, probably on par with A7RIV.

On the flip side, it seems the AA filter is pretty strong there and requires quite high default sharpening.

DPReview just added the R5 to the studio test scene. That's not the ultimate test, but it doesn't look bad imho.

Upvote 0
DPReview just added the R5 to the studio test scene. That's not the ultimate test, but it doesn't look bad imho.

Wow. It didn't disappoint. The shadows actually look cleaner than the A7RIV. High ISO 6400 is also less noisy. I guess Canon kept the promise to improve +1 stop against 5DIV. It may be even better than Sony. Looking forward to finally getting my preorder.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If anyone is like me and can't remember the EOS R5 heat time limits for which video mode, or are struggling to decide on which expensive CFExpress card size suits them for recording times; I put this spreadsheet together.

Information on Bitrates from DPReview and the heat limitations from the 'Canon's Statement on Overheating' article on this site. Please note this is for the R5 only.

R5 Heat & Card options.png

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Most hybrid 4k cameras overheat. The X-T3 will overheat. The X-T4 will overheat faster. Sony bodies will overheat. The FF Panasonics...except the one with the fan...will overheat. Yet these cameras still get used to produce footage for professional productions. Filmmakers like Armando will work around the limitations...even if it involves a leaf blower. Armchair reviewers will cry about it.

If you've only got the money for a single workhorse camera, then BMPCC is likely your best bet. Although we have yet to see how the R5/R6 perform with an external recorder. If that fixes the overheating issues then these are two strong contenders even standing next to a BMPCC.
I don't know if it's just a simple limitation like in other cameras that you can work around. I wanted to buy R6 but then I cancelled my preorder and will wait for more tests. For now is seems that it overheats even in 4k24p and the second problem is that it cools down really really long even if you take out battery, lens and put it in the fridge. X-T4 for example overheats in 4k60 and 4k24p is not a big problem for Fuji. Even when it overheats then after 10-15 minutes it's ready to go. So for run and gun situation, for short documentaries during holiday in warm climate I see R6 overheating as a big problem which cannot be bypassed. I am doing short clips but even then R6 will overheat as heat build up time is faster than cooling down. It's a real pity as everything else about this camera is just perfect. X-T4 has many other flaws that are infuriating but I can overcome those at least.

Upvote 0
Autofocus must be quite good, but more importantly he put raw DNG files for download and I must say the dynamic range must be very good. ISO 400 shots look like 5DIV at ISO 100, and ISO 100 shots are much better. Unfortunately there isn't many deep shadows but from what I could see, the dynamic range will be better than 5DIV, probably on par with A7RIV.

On the flip side, it seems the AA filter is pretty strong there and requires quite high default sharpening.
This post has some initial findings regarding Photographic Dynamic Range DR ( Bill Claff's www.photonstophotos.net ), and it looks very promising.

R5: 11.75
In comparison with:
A7R4: 11,62 (www.photonstophotos.net)
5Dmk4: 10,83 (www.photonstophotos.net)

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020

Just watched the Tony & Chelsea Northrup video on the R5 AF.

I'm confused a little as Tony was 'blown away' but Chelsea complained of EVF blackout and overheating when taking stills and the battery running out after an hour?? They were using an RF adapter a very big EF lens and a 2x converter so may have affected things.

Funny how none of the Canon Ambassadors complained of EVF lag in both Mechanical 12 FPS or Electronic 20FPS. on the contrary, they all said the EVF was close to a DSLR view finder in performance and none said anything about overheating when taking stills or the battery running out after an hours shooting.

Something smells a bit fishy here and doesn't make sense. Surely the Canon ambassadors wouldn't tell outright lies. I know they cant be completely honest but come on???

Upvote 0
Just watched the Tony & Chelsea Northrup video on the R5 AF.

I'm confused a little as Tony was 'blown away' but Chelsea complained of EVF blackout and overheating when taking stills and the battery running out after an hour?? They were using an RF adapter a very big EF lens and a 2x converter so may have affected things.

Funny how none of the Canon Ambassadors complained of EVF lag in both Mechanical 12 FPS or Electronic 20FPS. on the contrary, they all said the EVF was close to a DSLR view finder in performance and none said anything about overheating when taking stills or the battery running out after an hours shooting.

Something smells a bit fishy here and doesn't make sense. Surely the Canon ambassadors wouldn't tell outright lies. I know they cant be completely honest but come on???

Shoot the Sony A7RlV, same EVF lag with fast panning/moving subjects, but there is a slightly faster *refresh rate* which also lowers the EVF quality, so few of us choose that option for daily shooting. The A9 has a lower resolution EVF, same as the older A7Rlll, but it keeps up in realtime, so its a compromise in *absolute* EVF quality/resolution.

There may well be a *faster refresh rate/lower resolution* mode on the R5 too, something to look out for!

Upvote 0