Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

x-vision said:
briansquibb said:
Roll on the 7D2 complete with aps-h, pro af, twin cards, 16 mps and 10fps :D

Right, at a price above the 5DIII :mad: .

Canon's new slogan: Just pay for it (if you can)!

I think 5DII prices would be closer as the 5D3 is at the 1D4 price.

It wouldn't be called the 7D as that would cause confusion - lets call it the 6DX.

The 7D would continue in its current form as the budget sports camera with the 6DX as the premium sports camera. I doubt that it will happen - but it would be exciting if it did - would certainly give Nikon something to worry about

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.

lonelywhitelights said:
BRNexus6 said:
New APS-C 18 MP sensor

Digic 5+ processor

All-I/IPB compression formats

Reduced Moire and rolling shutter

Flip out LCD

Headphone Jack

Manual Audio and on screen meters

Clean video at ISO 1600

Same great build quality as the 7D

$1999 or lower price point

7D replacement will never have a flip out LCD screen, it compromises build quality, build materials and weather sealing. For sports and wildlife shooters - a flip out LCD is completely pointless and not needed since the eye is generally glued to the view finder - for the indie film community it's pointless again because external monitors are used for higher resolution instead of the LCD

Oh hog wash!

It need not compromise build quality and for that matter the screen could be designed so that it could be readily replaceable. How many people are overly concerned about breaking their built in flash? And for those that are worried well if you keep it in the closed position you have nothing to worry about. Do you? ??? Keep it tucked away where it belongs at least in respectable company. :-[ There's no reason an lcd screen cannot be built as rugged and be as weather sealed as the 7 d body presently is.

The only way there would be potentially potentially potentially a problem is if Canon designed the 7D replacement with overall lower durable standards - lower quality. If if if if if they did put a swivel screen on the 7 d replacement it would logicaly be of good functional quality and rugged.

And as far being completely pointless...... Very subjective.
Just because one person will not or perhaps cannot see the usefulness of a tool doesn't mean all must be equally dim.

Upvote 0
Re: Canon 7D Mark II specs wishlist.

kdsand said:
lonelywhitelights said:
7D replacement will never have a flip out LCD screen, it compromises build quality, build materials and weather sealing.
Just because one person will not or perhaps cannot see the usefulness of a tool doesn't mean all must be equally dim.

Personally when I bought my 60d, I thought I'd never use its screen. But I was wrong - apart from video of course, it's very useful when doing odd angle shots even of wildlife, it's a kind of "shoot around the corner" feature. And it's very useful when doing still macro shots on a tripod since you mf anyway.

As for build quality and weather sealing - I cannot see any potential problem with this, actually quite the other way around: If the screen is turned backwards, it's a very nice protection I'm frequently using when I'm hiking through stony areas or old buildings. My screen would have been broken already without this protection.

Upvote 0

kdsand

Newt II a human stampede
Nov 1, 2011
north west indiana
I somehow ended up at Dan Carr Photography and found
GP-E2: Geo-tag your images with compact, lightweight GPS

Also launching today is the GPS receiver GP-E2 – a new compact, lightweight, high- performance hot shoe GPS unit which makes it easy for photographers to geo-tag their images. Compatible with the EOS-1D X, EOS 7D*3 and new EOS 5D Mark III, the GP-E2 tags photos with longitude, latitude and altitude data as well as the direction in which the shot was taken, adding information to the EXIF file of the image.

I dont know what to to make of it.
???

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
wickidwombat said:
Nice shots Paul!

I really wanted to get a 7D because its smaller than the 1D but when i compared it I still found the aging 1D to be better :( i was very sad, I really hope the 7Dmk2 fixes up the sensor
and I am sure they will give it the 61pt sensor too, I'm pretty confident the 7D2 will stay APS-C as much as i wish for an APS-H small form factor i doubt i'll see one :'(

also unfortunately I expect any 7Dmk2 to come in at around $2500 which will make alot of people unhappy
me included but that seems to be the way of things

Ideally it would be nice if it were closer to $2000 but thats wishfull thinking :p

I posted some pics from the 1D3 with the 600f4.5 FD lens here
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3594.0.html

Thanks wickidwombat

Yes I can imagine that even an ageing 1D body will have some advantages over the 7D. However for me, the 7D hit the right balance, between handling, image quality and price. While I have plenty of disposable income to afford a higher end camera, I aim to be a good steward of money - particularly donating to worthwhile causes around the world.

When I compare the 7D to my 350D, the level of improvement on noise quality isn't that much, but it does have the advantages of more pixels and higher ISO settings. The biggest improvements for me were much superior AF, handling / usability, etc.

I bought the 7D quite early on at a 'bricks and mortar shop' - so prices for it were fairly high; but I needed to as I am the designated photographer for charity camps I lead. These camps are for children in vulnerable situations. So I wanted a camera body that would work in that setting (good AF, solid body, higher ISO than my 350D could offer), and so the 7D definitely does very well for me. Also purely as a camera when used for the personal 'hobby' side of things, it does very well (my main genres are landscapes, wildlife and macro). 8)

While the sensor isn't nearly as good as the 5D or other FF versions, when it came out - it was the best APS-C camera on the market, and still is one of the better handling and suited AF systems of crop sensor camera bodies. I really dislike the 5D and 5DmkII AF points all being clustered in the centre. The new 5DmkIII 61pt AF (same as the 1DX) is a big improvement in this regard. I'm not sure that the 7D will inherit this though.... I'm happy with the 7D's current 19pt AF - as they are all cross-type and very responsive.

I agree with you that the 7DmkII won't use a APS-H sensor (personally I think Canon won't produce another APS-H sensor). I prefer the APS-C anyway - and look forward to some improvement in the replacement (mainly in ISO noise, sharpness and dymanic range). I don't want / need more than 18MP. Even slightly fewer MP would be ok by me. ;)

If such an improved 7DmkII will initially retail around AUD$2500 and will reduce a bit over time, that suits me (if I will need to replace my 7D... but it could be I don't need to!)

Thanks for your kind words on my photos..... I looked at your photos in your 600f4.5 FD lens thread, and posted a reply there too. Good wildlife shots! :)

Regards

Paul

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
RC said:
Paul those are great shots! Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing your settings? I'm specifically interested in what AF mode you use when shooting in AI Servo (moving/tracking subjects).

I've been experimenting with different modes (single point expansion, zone, etc.), and have not come to any real conclusion. I do realize it depends on what you are shooting, distance, and so on.

Hi RC

I am glad that you appreciate the photos that I took and posted in this thread. THANKS!! :)

Sure, I don't mind sharing my settings. Just to give you a bit of background, I 'came up' through the ranks of initially using a film P&S, then some Fuji digital P&S, then a Canon 350D DSLR in 2005 and a Canon 7D about 2 years ago. With each change of camera I had, I learned more about AF and had better bodies to practice with. Particularly with the faster response of the DSLRs... and the 7D captures many 'action' photos that I couldn't have with my 350D.

What I've found to be the best settings on my 7D for a 'bird in flight' (BIF) with a (relatively) busy background is the 'AF point expansion'. I keep the selected AF point over the bird, and it tracks well using AI Servo. If the bird is large, I can even use single point AF with AI Servo.

However with the photos that I took of these rapidly and erratic moving 'Little Wattlebirds' in flight, was the Zone AF. The reason is that the birds were quite close, and with the larger area of AF points selected, I was more likely to get an active AF point to pick up the birds against the mainly clear blue sky (there were a few clouds or at times trees near / in the frame when they were flying around -but most of the time it was clear blue sky). :)

The birds were catching insects mid-air, and thus flying and swooping suddenly (they were perched, semi-hidden in branches - waiting till an insect (or many!) would come within certain distance - and they would go in for a meal! Taking these photos was a real challenge. I found the most successful setting for my camera was to have it on Manual (ie shutter speed of about 2500 and aperture f/5.6), with Auto ISO. (I like that even though I normally have ISO set to 1 full stop settings - ie I change between ISOs 100, 200, 400, etc - with Auto ISO it can go up and down in 1/3 EV settings!)

I was using my 70-300mm L lens which is very sharp wide open, also f/5.6 at 300mm - this was the best setting. The birds were so close that often I was not shooting them at 300mm as they were either too large to fit in the composition, OR too hard to 'find' at 300mm after they had launched in flight from the tree. (There were several birds around, perched across 2 trees which I was standing near / almost under!) So I usually had my lens at around 70mm - 100mm, hand on the zoom ring - and when a bird took off I then brought my camera to my eye quickly - and got focus on the bird, then zoomed in sufficiently (keeping AI Servo going all the time) - then 'snap snap snap' took a few photos in rapid succession. 8)

The 8 fps really helps in situations like this. Plus of course, it is basically essential to have a super fast focussing USM lens to capture these types of photos.

I hope sharing my strategy and settings is helpful to you, RC (and to others who may be reading this thread). I am happy to share my experience (as I do with my recipes!)... we're not in competition!! :p

Best wishes

Paul

Upvote 0
kdw75 said:
I am pretty happy with every aspect of the 7D except for its low light noise. With some work it gets better, but this is where they need to focus on improving.

If recent events are any indication, there won't be any improvement at all. That way they don't cannibalize their 1DX sales. ::)

Upvote 0
T

takoman46

HughHowey said:
kdw75 said:
I am pretty happy with every aspect of the 7D except for its low light noise. With some work it gets better, but this is where they need to focus on improving.

If recent events are any indication, there won't be any improvement at all. That way they don't cannibalize their 1DX sales. ::)

And 5D Mark III sales :p

Upvote 0
M

maxxevv

Maybe its just me, but maybe its just a 'secret hope', logically to differentiate the 7D, Canon could plonk in the sensor from the 1Div and an articulated screen from the 60D (no additional R&D needed for a new sensor). And keep most of the other features on the current 7D intact except add a 1.6x crop option. (this part has been talked about on another thread somewhere ... its possible with a little optical/mechanical trickery as people were saying the EF-S back-focus issues).

Keep the 8fps, 19pt AF, weather sealing and a US$2500 price and they have a hot seller ! ;D

It will serve as a logical upgrade path for the APS-C users like those on the Rebels and xxD cameras without alienating them off their crop lenses.

Upvote 0

RC

Jun 11, 2011
pj1974 said:
RC said:
Paul those are great shots! Thanks for sharing. Would you mind sharing your settings? I'm specifically interested in what AF mode you use when shooting in AI Servo (moving/tracking subjects).

I've been experimenting with different modes (single point expansion, zone, etc.), and have not come to any real conclusion. I do realize it depends on what you are shooting, distance, and so on.

Hi RC

I am glad that you appreciate the photos that I took and posted in this thread. THANKS!! :)

Sure, I don't mind sharing my settings. Just to give you a bit of background, I 'came up' through the ranks of initially using a film P&S, then some Fuji digital P&S, then a Canon 350D DSLR in 2005 and a Canon 7D about 2 years ago. With each change of camera I had, I learned more about AF and had better bodies to practice with. Particularly with the faster response of the DSLRs... and the 7D captures many 'action' photos that I couldn't have with my 350D.

What I've found to be the best settings on my 7D for a 'bird in flight' (BIF) with a (relatively) busy background is the 'AF point expansion'. I keep the selected AF point over the bird, and it tracks well using AI Servo. If the bird is large, I can even use single point AF with AI Servo.

However with the photos that I took of these rapidly and erratic moving 'Little Wattlebirds' in flight, was the Zone AF. The reason is that the birds were quite close, and with the larger area of AF points selected, I was more likely to get an active AF point to pick up the birds against the mainly clear blue sky (there were a few clouds or at times trees near / in the frame when they were flying around -but most of the time it was clear blue sky). :)

The birds were catching insects mid-air, and thus flying and swooping suddenly (they were perched, semi-hidden in branches - waiting till an insect (or many!) would come within certain distance - and they would go in for a meal! Taking these photos was a real challenge. I found the most successful setting for my camera was to have it on Manual (ie shutter speed of about 2500 and aperture f/5.6), with Auto ISO. (I like that even though I normally have ISO set to 1 full stop settings - ie I change between ISOs 100, 200, 400, etc - with Auto ISO it can go up and down in 1/3 EV settings!)

I was using my 70-300mm L lens which is very sharp wide open, also f/5.6 at 300mm - this was the best setting. The birds were so close that often I was not shooting them at 300mm as they were either too large to fit in the composition, OR too hard to 'find' at 300mm after they had launched in flight from the tree. (There were several birds around, perched across 2 trees which I was standing near / almost under!) So I usually had my lens at around 70mm - 100mm, hand on the zoom ring - and when a bird took off I then brought my camera to my eye quickly - and got focus on the bird, then zoomed in sufficiently (keeping AI Servo going all the time) - then 'snap snap snap' took a few photos in rapid succession. 8)

The 8 fps really helps in situations like this. Plus of course, it is basically essential to have a super fast focussing USM lens to capture these types of photos.

I hope sharing my strategy and settings is helpful to you, RC (and to others who may be reading this thread). I am happy to share my experience (as I do with my recipes!)... we're not in competition!! :p

Best wishes

Paul

Thanks for the insight and taking the time to respond! Yes it was very helpful information and what you are saying seems very logical and make sense. I will say that there have been plenty of times I have been confused as to what AF points to use For moving subjects. I'm inspired to go out to my local bird refuge and work on AF tracking.

With spring training (MLB) here in Arizona, and being played outdoors in plenty of light (as opposed to indoors during regular season), I've been practicing with action shots. I found AF expansion to work well with my 70-200 F4 IS for pitchers and batters. I try to sit at the first base line about 25 - 30 rows up. From this point I shift my AF points to far left allowing the batter to move into the center of the frame. I do just the opposite when shooting the pitcher--right side with the pitcher moving to the left. Lots of frames shot at 8fps trying to capture the bat striking the ball or the ball just leaving the pitcher's hands. Been shooting TV around 1/4000, wide open, auto ISO. Got some ok shots but need to tweak them in LR.

Still a rookie and novice with photo editing, this is my next main focus and effort. Since beginning with film SLRs in the 80s and them switching to digital SLR just a couple of years ago (after a long absence), I consider myself to have a good knowledge of a photography but I need to work on various skills. So I turn to CR and other resources to assist in that. Thanks for contributing and sharing. :)

Upvote 0
S

surfing_geek

ruuneos said:
I just check current pricing for EOS bodies and noticed at 7D "Replacement: 6 months" so does that mean we are going to see 7D Mark II in Photokina?
I hope so! I'll be in the market for one. TBH, I'll probably just get the existing one once I can afford it, it still looks like an excellent performer and the noise that everyone talks about, I really don't think it's that bad. If I hadn't just spent so much on GoPro stuff for my honeymoon, I'd be looking at getting it now.

Upvote 0
B

blufox

I am an amateur but I am a fairly technical person.
Recently I got interested in Bird photography and find my T2i lagging. Sure I have a just 70-200 F4 L IS, which I am thinking of upgrading to 100-400 L.

I have noticed that because of such high pixel density getting a sharp shot of even slow moving birds in flight is extremely challenging. 7D has same sensor but a much much better AF, so I guess it suffers from same disease of "triple your usual shutter speeds to get crisp action freezing shots".

Above 800 ISO, you get extremely noisy images even after I dial in +1.5-2.0EV on my T2i. This is very disappointing as most of the fine shots I can see happen during early hours or near twilight.

Canon 5D Mark III is exciting but then I will loose the reach of 1.6x crop factor, which is not what I want.

IMHO, 18MP is just too much for a crop sensor.

My wishlist for a 7d MkII will be:-

1. 14-15 MP
2. Improved autofocus
3. 8fps being retained.
4. Configurable DOF button like 5d Mk III.
5. Usable ISO till 6400.

I know usable ISO on a crop sensor is severely hampered. So my guess is perhaps Canon will make next 7D successor a 1.3x crop to give the much needed ISO boost.

Wishful thinking ...eh? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.