Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Re: Canon EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R Press Release

Famateur said:
PerfectSavage said:
This isn't a legit release, not even for Canada.

Not sure about the jab at Canada (I quite like my neighbors to the north :p ), but I wondered about the authenticity a bit myself. Several typos can be found throughout the text. It would be pretty sloppy for something like that to be released.

That said, if it is a proper leak, then it's likely not a final draft -- especially with no mention of availability or price. We'll find out tomorrow...

I saw a few places where words were "misspelled" by American standards, but not by British. "Revolutionises" They spell "Labor" as "Labour" and so on. I'm not sure they're typos as much as cultural variances.

Upvote 0

PureClassA said:
Famateur said:
Joey said:
61 focus points, but only 41 of them cross-type, like the previous 5D. I wonder why the new camera didn't get the all-cross-type system of the 7DmkII?

Because the 7DII is intended to be a top-notch fast action camera, and the 5DS(r) is not. Those 65 cross-type AF points are designed to enable accurate tracking across the frame at ridiculous frame rates. A body designed specifically for studio/landscape photography doesn't need that.

It's hard to differentiate products if you put the best tech you have into every body. Putting the 7DII AF system in a studio/landscape body would be overkill and would dilute the flagship status of the 7DII system.

Bingo. Stole my thunder. The new 65pt all cross will see it's FF debut in the 5D4 later this year, with and even better one yet to be unveiled in a 1DX2

Well, you know what they say about great minds. :p

Upvote 0

Exciting day in Canon-land. Biggest announcement day in several years.

I'll be interested to see the reviews on the 5Ds and 5DsR. I don't have any plans to buy either of these bodies or the new 11-24mm lens in the foreseeable future, but curious to see what they can do.

I'm content with my 2+ year old 6D and probably will be for another year or two. Currently I'm still concentrating on adding to my lens collection as quickly as I can without upsetting my wife. My next purchases will be either a 100-400 II or 300 2.8 II. Probably at least 6 months off since I'm currently in the dog house...

Upvote 0

bholliman said:
Currently I'm still concentrating on adding to my lens collection as quickly as I can without upsetting my wife. My next purchases will be either a 100-400 II or 300 2.8 II. Probably at least 6 months off since I'm currently in the dog house...

I got the 300 2.8 II last year. Definitely a hold-your-breath purchase; but I have no regrets. Its an amazing machine that does sports photography (along with its 400 cousin) very very well.

Upvote 0

bholliman said:
Currently I'm still concentrating on adding to my lens collection as quickly as I can without upsetting my wife. My next purchases will be either a 100-400 II or 300 2.8 II. Probably at least 6 months off since I'm currently in the dog house...

You know the "dress in the closet" trick, don't you? It goes like this:

1. She buys a dress she's been wanting for a long time.
2. Instead of saying anything about it, she puts it in the back of the closet and saves the receipt.
3. Six months later, she wears the dress to dinner.
4. You say, "Where did you get that dress? Aren't we saving to replace the carpet?"
5. She says, "Oh this old thing? I've had it for months. You haven't noticed?"
6. You say, "Nope. I've never scene it before."
7. She digs out the receipt and says, "See -- I've had it for a long time. I'm surprised you've only just noticed me wearing it tonight."
8. Not to be in the doghouse for "failing to notice" months earlier, you say, "Sorry honey. You look amazing."

Should work with lenses, too. :p The hard part will be not using the new lens for six months!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

Famateur said:
bholliman said:

You know the "dress in the closet" trick, don't you? It goes like this:

1. She buys a dress she's been wanting for a long time.
2. Instead of saying anything about it, she puts it in the back of the closet and saves the receipt.
3. Six months later, she wears the dress to dinner.
4. You say, "Where did you get that dress? Aren't we saving to replace the carpet?"
5. She says, "Oh this old thing? I've had it for months. You haven't noticed?"
6. You say, "Nope. I've never scene it before."
7. She digs out the receipt and says, "See -- I've had it for a long time. I'm surprised you've only just noticed me wearing it tonight."
8. Not to be in the doghouse for "failing to notice" months earlier, you say, "Sorry honey. You look amazing."

Should work with lenses, too. :p The hard part will be not using the new lens for six months!

My wife applies the same tactic, where do they learn this stuff?

Upvote 0

I am a 5DM2 hold over because I never felt the 5d3 was worth spending the extra $ on. I do scenic still photography and once in a blue moon weddings (I do great weddings, just hate it). I have no interest in Video. I am not a film purist but I can see their point. This just might be the right box for the still purist.

I am frankly seeing this as a logical split between portrait/scenic and the swiss army knife approach of the 5dm3 and perhaps the 5dm4 that will do everything in one box.

I am very interested in moving to a better camera and the Nikon 810e and Sony A7 have been getting good review from scenic photographers but I am not willing to replace all my glass and start over. I knew that Canon would change and a little patience would prove prudent. I am more than ready to replace my 5DM2, having said that--I have had many incredible images with this body and do not feel that I have been short changed in the last 5 years or so. I think I will be one of the first to order or pre-order the R version.

Upvote 0

Just thinkin' that Nikon brought out the D800 & D800E at (nearly?) the same time, and the D810 was the update to both of those. The D800E was initially said to be without the OLPF; it later came out that it had one but that it was electronically disabled. The D810, if I remember correctly, has no physical OLPF (perhaps other filters in a stack?).

Could it be that Nikon simply found far greater acceptance for the no OLPF design? And are we looking at a similar scenario over time? I've read several posts here and elsewhere that point to a high MP sensor inherently having fewer problems with moire. Hmmm - lots of ifs and suppositions here. The early reviews and tests are going to be of great value in determining which of these bodies fits your needs best.

My pocketbook is really afraid that one of these is going to severely deplete it ;D.

Upvote 0

SwnSng said:
Famateur said:
You know the "dress in the closet" trick, don't you?

My wife applies the same tactic, where do they learn this stuff?

I think it comes with the second X chromosome. With that leg missing (making ours a Y chromosome), perhaps we have to learn such clever cunning from other sources... :p

Upvote 0

This is the best news I could expect for my needs for a camera. I shoot adverting and I am having to shoot multiple shots together as the file size of the 5dmk3 is not large enough. Often shots get cropped, or a wide shot has to also cover a vertical, and 23mp struggles with this.
Its been a long wait and in the mean time I have purchased a d800, d810, and a sony a7r, none of them came close to the handling and usability of the 5dmk3. both the nikons and the sony obviously had a better file, and had better dynamic range.
but the nikons focus was very inaccurate when the conditions were dark (i.e. shooting at f1.4, 60th, 8000iso). i shot alongside the canon and only the canon could focus. I tested the cameras side by side for two weeks of shooting and the nikon just couldn't focus nearly as well. The colour of the nikons file out of the camera is off as well, the canons was far better as a starting point. This was the opinion of my retoucher who far preferred the canon files.
The sony was just a painful camera to use. The evf is very hard to use as it isn't very detailed- i.e., you can't see the expression of someone you are shooting if they further back full length from the camera. The evf also lags badly and smudges when its dark. The controls are painful as well.

Canon on the other hand is a dream to use with both the controls and the menus. I bet this camera will do everything that the mk3 did but just a bit better. I would have liked decent video on this, but its not that important.
This camera should be the nail in the coffin for my use of medium format.

paul

Upvote 0

paulrossjones said:
The sony was just a painful camera to use. The evf is very hard to use as it isn't very detailed- i.e., you can't see the expression of someone you are shooting if they further back full length from the camera. The evf also lags badly and smudges when its dark.

I rented a Sony A7R to complement my 5D3 during a two-week fall trip last year. While I loved the 36MP and better DR; the EVF was unusable for careful filter and compositional work. Its really bad when yellow aspens look green in the viewfinder, let alone try to figure out the placement of a ND Grad. Focus Peaking was nice however. My takeaway after two weeks - the A7R would be a fine alternate camera back - work and composite with the 5D, then replace with the A7R. Had Canon not announced a high MP, that would have been my 2015 strategy. But thankfully the 5DS is here so I can work everything out in the primary.

Now this is not a slam on Mirrorless... The A7R is a breakthrough camera. I just think EVF technology needs to improve.

For me personally, I think I will long-term be a DSLR guy - I see better than 20/20 at long (not so good close with contacts), so I want to keep that viewing advantage while I still have it.

Upvote 0

Arkarch said:
paulrossjones said:
The sony was just a painful camera to use. The evf is very hard to use as it isn't very detailed- i.e., you can't see the expression of someone you are shooting if they further back full length from the camera. The evf also lags badly and smudges when its dark.

I rented a Sony A7R to complement my 5D3 during a two-week fall trip last year. While I loved the 36MP and better DR; the EVF was unusable for careful filter and compositional work. Its really bad when yellow aspens look green in the viewfinder, let alone try to figure out the placement of a ND Grad. Focus Peaking was nice however. My takeaway after two weeks - the A7R would be a fine alternate camera back - work and composite with the 5D, then replace with the A7R. Had Canon not announced a high MP, that would have been my 2015 strategy. But thankfully the 5DS is here so I can work everything out in the primary.

Now this is not a slam on Mirrorless... The A7R is a breakthrough camera. I just think EVF technology needs to improve.

For me personally, I think I will long-term be a DSLR guy - I see better than 20/20 at long (not so good close with contacts), so I want to keep that viewing advantage while I still have it.

This doesn't make any sense to me. :)

Why does color matter through the viewfinder if shooting RAW? You shoot RAW right?

How on Earth is it hard to place filters using the EVF? I use my Live View LCD for this very specific reason. Why is an EVF different? Why can't you use the rear LCD?

The word "unusable" brings images in my mind of people in infomercials who fall off a cliff when trying to eat their morning cereal with a regular spoon. Or can't open a cabinet without ripping the door off and having the house fall down. :)

I'm only being partially snarky, as I have not used the EVF in the A7, but I've used enough of them to question what you are having issues with? Just curious.

Upvote 0

The jury is still out for DR and low ISO noise, so we´ll have to wait a bit longer for that. But what I have seen looks very positive and very close to what I have been waiting for.

Ergonimics unchanged and still best in the business.

A well damped and quiet mirror is good news. The consequence is a lower max fps, also for the crop modes, than some seem to want. But personally, for this camera, 5fps will be plenty for me. And it is pretty obvious that such a design will be a limiting factor on how fast it can get.

No mention of support for other focusing screens, where my interest is to have a high precision screen for my fast manual focus primes. I hope they don´t repeat the poor (non-existent) support on the 5DIII. And for a camera like this, they should accommodate the use of high quality manual focus lenses.

Video functionality is of no interest to me. I would be glad to have a mode where I could remove all video functionality and have all menus fully focused on photography.

WiFi would have been nice, but not something I worry about. Neither is GPS.

Still wondering how good/bad high ISO will be, but that is less important. I´ll be waiting for the new 1DX2 for that, improved AF and high fps.

Built in radio control for flashes would have been nice, but I already have what I need, so I can live with not having that. 1/200s sync is a bit disappointing, but no surprise. Having HSS helps.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com

mackguyver said:
No mentions of expanded DR and such, so I'm sure the usual suspects will begin complaining about that. I was hoping for built-in GPS, but otherwise, all looks great to me. I wonder if the body will be the same as the 5DIII - it would be nice if I didn't have to buy a new L-plate.

No mention of tttmnbso*, but they did mention the noise reduction of the DIGIC 6. Given the performance of the 7D II, which did not really gain much on the RN front (half an electron relative to the 70D), I suspect there will be less banding and lower dark current, but I don't expect the read noise to change much from the 6D.

With a lower frame rate, the ADC units could operate at a lower frequency. That could help reduce read noise...but I don't know in absolute certainty that the ADC units (I guess 12 of them in the 5Ds series?) are where the bulk of the RN comes from. I assume so, but it remains to be seen if a lower frame rate helps much on that front or not.

At the very least, we should have lower dark current, which should improve high ISO performance. Not sure it will do much for low ISO performance, especially in the sub-second exposure time range. Less pattern noise as well, which would be good. But tttmnbso*, I still don't hope for much. I'm waiting for tests.

Upvote 0