Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I meant more in the sense that we're certainly a 1yr+ from a 5DV, and Canon doesnt traditionally use firmware to upgrade major features (like 4k60), so itd be odd for a 90D to be on market for a year before any canon full-frame does it.

Though I guess if a pro R model did it, that'd cover their usual segmentation bases.
I'm not sure I'd use the word 'certainly'. Release cycles aren't what they use to be.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
With all this cry about more focus points, I’d like to bet that most buyers don’t need them, because they’re not shooting “action”. Canon is likely aware of who is buying their products. They seem to be better at this than other companies, which is why they’re on top. Without knowing sales numbers of the 7D vs the 80D, we can only speculate according to what we think is right, but it might not be.
With the ongoing decline in sales and the growth of the mirrorless market, one question is how many high end aps-c DSLR models Canon is going to roll out. If there is only going to be one high end aps-c DSLR, my guess is the feature set is going to be pretty robust in terms of AF and ergonomics. Not sure how close it might come to the 7DII in ruggedization. Would Canon ruggedize an aps-c DSLR or a M5II? It doesn't seem likely they would do both. The DSLR seems more likely to me, but I'm not sure why.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Even CFast is a dead format going forwards just like CF.
Agree with you. Why fight the inevitable. It's going to be SDXC UHS-II and UHS-III for the low-mid end, and probably XQD/CFExpress at the high/pro video end.

Little point adding anything else nowdays.

Upvote 0
The problem is 100D is already in use (called SL1 in one part of the world). As are 200D and 300D.
That was just one suggestion. I made another. But it doesn’t matter. Really, who cares about how they name the product? That’s the least of what we should be talking about. Besides, as we know, and Canon has themselves stated, DSLRs are on borrowed time. How long they’ll be around, we don’t yet know, but I bet that in five years, Canon will have killed the under $1,000 models in most places, and will be dragging the life of others out for longer times.

They won’t be needing to many more DSLR names.

Upvote 0
With the ongoing decline in sales and the growth of the mirrorless market, one question is how many high end aps-c DSLR models Canon is going to roll out. If there is only going to be one high end aps-c DSLR, my guess is the feature set is going to be pretty robust in terms of AF and ergonomics. Not sure how close it might come to the 7DII in ruggedization. Would Canon ruggedize an aps-c DSLR or a M5II? It doesn't seem likely they would do both. The DSLR seems more likely to me, but I'm not sure why.
APS-C DSLRs are the ones declining the most. That’s happening for everyone. It makes sense to combine models, and to bias them towards the ones Canon is seeing greater life. If that’s the 80D over the 7D, so be it.

Upvote 0
Well, it’s hard to say. But as DSLR APS-C camera sales for everyone are falling the fastest, we can see why Nikon hasn’t even attempted (so far, anyway) to bother with an APS-C mirrorless model. It’s as though APS-C is dying in every type. Though, canons M series seem to be doing pretty well.

Possibly because it’s a pretty compact line. I believe that with mirrorless FF cameras getting smaller, people have decided to buy the bigger format. If the sizes aren’t too different, why go to a noticeably inferior sensor? This is the problem Olympus isn’t seeing with their new “pro” model for 4:3. That’s also within mirrorless FF size.

And, years ago, once Canon came out with the first FF DSLR, we could see that APS-C was getting no love. Thom Hogan has consistently called both Canon and Nikon out for refusing to extend their APS-C lens series significantly when compared to their FF offerings, and specifically, for them to refuse to make real pro grade lenses. He’s right.

So mirrorless seems, to me, to be an excuse for companies to get out from the APS-C market altogether. While reporters seem concerned about it, and keep battering camera executives over the format, buyers don’t seem to care nearly as much.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Agree with you. Why fight the inevitable. It's going to be SDXC UHS-II and UHS-III for the low-mid end, and probably XQD/CFExpress at the high/pro video end.

Little point adding anything else nowdays.
It seems like UHS-III is also a DoA format with SDA announcement of SDexpress which moves SD cards to industry standard NVME protocol vs previous SPI protocol. With NVME protocol in use across various platforms it will certainly simplify design of both H/W and S/W.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
There is no real barrier (marketing or otherwise) to provide / introduce 4k60 in a 'lower' tier of Canon DSLR / APS-C mirrorless models either.

You need twice the processing power to produce 4k60 over 4k30. That's a very real engineering barrier. People can be annoyed that low-tier cameras don't get 4k60, they can think it's a bad marketing idea, but it wouldn't be free. Free meaning not only cost, but possibly heat dissipation concerns as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
actually, it's not that easy. something would have to give. either size or controls or ergonomics. Doesn't matter what Sony has done or Fuji,etc. it's a Canon camera with pretty set ergonomics between the two, and there's a ton of differences, not just a joystick that would have to be accounted for.

https://www.canonnews.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-merging-the-80d-series-and-the-7d-series-17
I dont mind the missing joystick if the D-Pad was set higher on body like Nikon's D7xx00 series of cameras. At current position of D-Pad is literal pain for thumb when using it in landscape orientation and in much better position when using in portrait with battery grip. Also whats bafffeling to me is that Canon has the best touch screen implementation across all camera brands yet they dont implement touch to drag Af points on EOS xxD. Nikon has been doing touch screen af point selection on their D5x00 series of cameras for quite sometime. even that would reduce the need for joystick and reduce pain in thumb from current dpad.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
First, I am surprised that with dual digic 8 you only obtain 10fps.
Seconds, I would be surprised if Canon released another DSLR with new image sensor, in particular with only 45 focus points.
What I could imagine ist that Canon releases one EOS M and one EOS R camera both APS-C with very similar features but different User Interface, weather sealing etc. This way they could benefit from economies of scale for electronics and maybe image sensor.
No more Major upgrade DSLR.

Upvote 0
I believe that with mirrorless FF cameras getting smaller, people have decided to buy the bigger format. If the sizes aren’t too different, why go to a noticeably inferior sensor?

I'm not sure many people can tell the difference (and certainly I don't think the output from APS-C cameras is 'noticeably inferior' in most cases), but regardless, the big reason to choose APS-C over FF has always been: price.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
First, I am surprised that with dual digic 8 you only obtain 10fps.

First, this is CR1. Second, throughput is not just about CPU performance. There are other bottlenecks of which the most critical is sensor readout speed. A throughput of 32Mpix*10fps is already much more than any other Canon camera besides the 1Dx and 1Dx2. One of the things that makes this rumor implausible.

Upvote 0
Canon has themselves stated, DSLRs are on borrowed time.

Up until about a year ago, both Canon and Nikon were saying the exact opposite for years, that mirrorless was a fad, that mirrorless cameras were toys which couldn't compete with "pro-grade" DSLRs, that the weight advantages were offset by lenses anyway, both companies were committed to DSLRs for decades to come, etc. Funny how quickly it all changed.

Upvote 0