Canon EOS M Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
neuroanatomist said:
FunPhotons said:
... I can also use as a wildlife shooter with the focal length extending crop factor, assuming it can really handle the longer L lenses.

I'm sure it can 'handle' them. I'm not at all sure it will focus fast enough to be a good wildlife camera.

Somebody mentioned battery life. In addition I can imagine other restrictions, such as will they work with extenders.

As for focus speed yes it will obviously/probably be a mediocre wildlife cam, but I don't want the expense and size of a real setup, just something I can use to have fun with and squeeze a few shots off.

Upvote 0
About the size and weight of a Sony NEX 5n.

Here's the specs:
Canon - 108.6mm x 66.5mm x 32.3mm, 298 grams with battery and memory card
Sony - 110.8mm x 58.8mm x 38.2mm, 269 grams with battery and memory card

The NEX 5n sells for $599.99 without lens and $699.99 with 18-55mm lens. We will find out Canon's prices tomorrow.

Either the EF 85mm f/1.8 (425 grams) or EF 100 f/2.0 (460 grams) would be a good combination with the EF M. Add the EM 22mm f/2.0 and I'd have all the lenses I'd need. YMMV

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

SambalOelek said:
Gothmoth said:
don´t you think the AF will be as good as 5 year old cameras who do wildlife shots pretty well?

Are you referring to five year old cameras such as the 1D III or the 40D? If so, my answer would have to be a resounding "heck, no!"

yeah i wonder too how they could make good images in the past.....

to be honest i have not touched the hybrid AF in the 650D yet.

Upvote 0
marekjoz said:
It's interesting how many photos this toy can do on one battery. Assuming it's pocket size, the battery won't be big. It will run in live view mode for all the time and if you put bigger EF lens onto it, the same battery has to run AF and sometimes IS as well.

Don't know how it compares to the size of the Pentax K-01, but the K-01 uses the same battery as the medium format Pentax 645D, so it's possible it might take the same battery as the 650d/T4i

Upvote 0
itsnotmeyouknow said:
marekjoz said:
It's interesting how many photos this toy can do on one battery. Assuming it's pocket size, the battery won't be big. It will run in live view mode for all the time and if you put bigger EF lens onto it, the same battery has to run AF and sometimes IS as well.

Don't know how it compares to the size of the Pentax K-01, but the K-01 uses the same battery as the medium format Pentax 645D, so it's possible it might take the same battery as the 650d/T4i

"if i fits i sits"? ;D

Upvote 0

trulandphoto

Upstate NY photographer and retired atorney
CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
trulandphotography.com
bainsybike said:
I'd like to know whether the new EF-M lenses will fit on a DSLR. The 22mm F2 would be great on a crop body.

I would think not. The lens would have to be inside the lens mount on the camera due to the shorter mount to sensor distance. That's why the adapter for EF lenses.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The big issue with me is how does this compare with the G1X or the next G camera? As a tourist who wants to take good photos, I like that I could use my existing lenses with this camera. But, I have been to quite a few events where non-professionals couldn't bring in cameras with detectable lenses. Would the extra quality of some photos, override the inability to bring in this camera to other events? I'm leaning towards no.

I will still bring my 5Dm2 on my travels anyways.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
marekjoz said:
And it's weight, so the capacity will be a half smaller than the one in T4i.
not at all!

Rebel T4i/EOS 650D: LP-E8, 7.2V, 1120mAh = 8,1 Wh
EOS-M: LP-E12, 7.2V, 875mAh = 6.3 Wh
= 78% of the LP-E8

Even if the shutter mechanism and fps are identical between T4i and EOS-M, power consumption of the EOS-M will be lower as no mirror needs to be flipped all he time. This will be partially offset by the need to constantly use the LCD as viewfinder to compose images. Overall, I would expect a fairly similar number of shots per charge from both cameras.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
bainsybike said:
I'd like to know whether the new EF-M lenses will fit on a DSLR. The 22mm F2 would be great on a crop body.

Not possible.

The EF-M lenses will not be able to focus on DSLRs due to the difference in distance from the lens to the sensor.

That's why they need an EF/EF-S to EF-M adapter - not because the electronics are different, but to maintain distance to the sensor from the lens.

EF/EF-S lens to EF-M camera simply needs an increased distance to the camera a simple extension tube will suffice.

EF-M lens to EF camera needs a decrased distance to the image plane. This is only possible by introducing additional lenses like in the 1.4x or 2x Extenders. So it is kind of possible but there might be no EF-M lens which you would mount to an EF-camera.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.