Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Recent add from CR Guy (see original post on this thread):

"Dual Sensing IS is a body- The information of the lens and the information of the gyro sensor of the lens are used to correct camera shake and improvement of the effect of 0.5 stops"

I think Neuro wins a prize for predicting this one.

The sensor isn't floating relative to the body -- this is not IBIS at all -- so we shouldn't be so surprised at how little of an upside this is.

- A

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
ahsanford said:
Recent add from CR Guy (see original post on this thread):

"Dual Sensing IS is a body- The information of the lens and the information of the gyro sensor of the lens are used to correct camera shake and improvement of the effect of 0.5 stops"

I think Neuro wins a prize for predicting this one.

The sensor isn't floating relative to the body -- this is not IBIS at all -- so we shouldn't be so surprised at how little of an upside this is.

Looks like this feature was first introduced on the PowerShot side of the fence; it combines the lens gyro sensor data with live visual feed from the sensor. Makes sense in a fixed-lens camera but on the ILC side I'd think it requires special support from the lens to let the camera control the IS unit directly.

The processing power of DIGIC 7 enables optical image stabilisation with Dual Sensing IS technology, so you can achieve an extra stop of camera shake compensation and shoot in even more tricky situations. DIGIC 7 monitors data in parallel, from both the gyro sensor in the optical Image Stabilizer and the image projected onto the image sensor, to provide high precision corrections of up to 4 stops. It counteracts not only camera shake but also the slow but significant shaking from body movement for easy handheld shooting in lowlight.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
skyshooter said:
...the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless.

It is? My experience is not representative of the entire market, but the only cameras I’ve ever seen on helmets are GoPro-type cameras, not ilc’s of any kind.

Then we have Bill and the 35mm movie camera on a football helmet......

....I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you mean here...?

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
rrcphoto said:
bholliman said:
rrcphoto said:
The Fat Fish said:
These specs already upstage EOS M5
not really if you consider ergonomics a part of a camera.
I'd never replace my M5 with this.
not in a million years.
+1

For a stills shooter, there isn't anything here apparently improved over the M5 other than a full tilt/swivel LCD. For video, yeah, looks like a nice upgrade.

there's some cool hints of what an M5 II would have such as eye AF, wider AF area, more focus zones, faster AF, C-RAW, DLO in camera and keeping the M5 stills ergonomics.

DIGIC 8 seems to be bringing alot of processor tricks down to mirrorless.

I find the 24MP sensor in the M5 to be good enough for anything i shoot in terms of APS-C IQ, frankly i don't see me wishing for an upgrade there at all.

That would be a camera i have a hard time saying no to.

+1 absolutely

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Quackator said:
By strange coincidence, Canon professional services Europe just
sent out a newsletter detailing the cinema light raw format:
https://www.canon.co.uk/pro/stories/cinema-raw-light/

Now... think again, everybody: What is this C-Raw inside the M50?
Anybody puking from excitement?

you're trying to shove a round peg into too many square holes. Cini RAW light has NOTHING to do with this. there's no chance in hell this gets raw video of any sort.

Emphatic? yes. it uses regular SD cards.

Upvote 0
goldenhusky said:
It would be really nice if someone comes up with a EF-M to EF speedbooster not the adapter that Canon already selling

Found this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EOS-EOSM-Focal-reducer-Auto-focus-adapter-EF-EFM-EF-to-EFM-EOS-to-EOSM-Booster/302623520529

This is definitely not a Metabone quality, but probably interesting for you...

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Quackator said:

you're trying to shove a round peg into too many square holes. Cini RAW light has NOTHING to do with this. there's no chance in hell this gets raw video of any sort.

You're probably right. The hardware will have the capability for it, but it wouldn't make sense to add such a feature to a camera who's prime audience wouldn't know how to use, and then end up with unusable footage if they mistakenly record in it.

If lucky enough to crack the DIGIC 8, Magic Lantern would make a killer RAW camera out of this. Most SD card slots nowadays write faster than the CF cards from the 5D Mark III days.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
Quackator said:

The hardware will have the capability for it

you know this ... how?

canon's SD card writes usually top out at 100mb/sec btw. the ML raw project used an SD card for the firmware and CF cards for the actual raw data.

Cini light RAW is 1Gps - far exceeding any SD cards going into the M50.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
Quackator said:

The hardware will have the capability for it

you know this ... how?

canon's SD card writes usually top out at 100mb/sec btw. the ML raw project used an SD card for the firmware and CF cards for the actual raw data.

Cini light RAW is 1Gps - far exceeding any SD cards going into the M50.

Have you used RAW video before or dug into the ML code? I can run ML RAW video on my 5D with only the SD card, it can run the firmware off the same card it writes to, it just drops the performance. The 10 year old photography only Canon 50D can even support close to 1080p RAW with the firmware on the same card, it's safe to say the hardware should be fine on the EOS M50. The main question is whether or not ML will be able to crack the M50, and the speed of the SD card controller.

I'm not expecting Canon to go with the latest and greatest controllers that can support 4K compressed RAW on SD cards, but it's safe to assume they're using a more modern SD card slot with the DIGIC 8. If it can hit 1080 RAW, I'd be real happy since it upscales very well to 4K. RAW video is only nice to have for those few times where there's a challenging lighting situation.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
skyshooter said:
It really makes me sad that there isn't a wired remote available for this. While skydiving photography is indeed a very niche market, the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless. Saving that much weight and space on the helmet is a no brainer. I need a wired remote for my bite switch, so I guess m6 it is instead of m50.
Note to Canon - I would pretty much pay whatever you wanted to charge for a USB adapter for a wired remote. For the 6 years I've been in the sport, it went from almost exclusively Canon, to almost exclusively Sony for new setups.
why not use the bluetooth remote?
It's standard to use a wired biteswitch. That way I can do things like hang on to the outside of an airplane, steer my parachute, dock on people. And have both hands 100% free if there is an emergency with my parachute. And while I'm sure the Bluetooth remotes are pretty good, most in-air photographers don't like relying on something that can mis-pair. GoPros remotes have been very good at failing mid air, to the point where a skydiver made an external indicator, TurnedOn, instead of relying on anything else.

edit:that site has a lot of other in-air photography equipment if anyone is interested in how pro/enthusiast skydivers shoot stills in-air

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
skyshooter said:
...the vast majority of people slapping new cameras on helmets are doing so with Sony mirrorless.

It is? My experience is not representative of the entire market, but the only cameras I’ve ever seen on helmets are GoPro-type cameras, not ilc’s of any kind.
For pro / semi-pro photographers, ILC are still the standard. Some tandem video/photo ops are using GoPros or X3000s though.
I shoot formations, I need to be able to time the shot exactly, not depend on them holding the formation during the interval the GoPro decides to fire, and time the shot perfectly for the piece movements. Plus, I would never submit a GoPro still to a publication and almost never to a sponsor.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
skyshooter said:

Yeah, I've learned enough from the old guys, I'll just keep a sleek setup that can operated hands-free. And that can be safely cutaway

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
skyshooter said:
Don Haines said:
IglooEater said:
skyshooter said:

Yeah, I've learned enough from the old guys, I'll just keep a sleek setup that can operated hands-free. And that can be safely cutaway
yes :)

Attachments

• Bill Mason original Go Pro.JPG
    Bill Mason original Go Pro.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,026
Upvote 0
As someone who’s doing behind the scenes documentation for small independent theatre and film companies (=little to no money for me), I’m perhaps most exited over the fact that we finally get a silent mode that is silent in a Canon camera.
The inclusion of 4K is nice too, giving me more latitude in post even if it’s only 24/25.

So now I’m on the fence on whether or not to sell my M5, get this and then probably sell the M50 when the M5 mark II drops...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Jacen said:
As someone who’s doing behind the scenes documentation for small independent theatre and film companies (=little to no money for me), I’m perhaps most exited over the fact that we finally get a silent mode that is silent in a Canon camera.
The inclusion of 4K is nice too, giving me more latitude in post even if it’s only 24/25.

So now I’m on the fence on whether or not to sell my M5, get this and then probably sell the M50 when the M5 mark II drops...

one of the problems with setting up a remote camera to capture shy birds at a feeder is CLICK! from the shutter, and they fly away......

we have a cure!

Upvote 0