Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
goldenhusky said:
Hope they read 6000*3375 or 5888*3105 (for DCI) pixels for 4k video and over sample them not pixel binning
H.265 codec
SD UHS ll
Focus peaking

focus peaking has been in canon's mirrorless cameras since the M3. it would be a weird omission.

I doubt the other two really happen. but i could be wrong. if it's full screen, I'm thinking it's probably line skipped. even line skipped APS-C is a pretty big step for canon really.

5 axis electronic stabilization means that 2 axis are done in lens and the rest are done by digitally cropping the image to reduce the effect of shake. it's not 5 axis IBIS.
 

goldenhusky

EOS RP
CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
432
252
From digicame-info

"New silent mode can shoot with no shutter sound at all"

sounds like there is electronic shutter. That is another thing that got me excited about this camera
 

alienman

I'm New Here
Feb 13, 2018
16
0
I like it the only thing i would change is 120fps in FHD but i guess thats something we can expect in the M5 mark ii. I can't wait to see the pupil detection in action.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,365
1,267
Turku, Finland
Diko said:
Dual Sensing IS - now that would be interesting.

Probably the same Hybrid IS as in some other cameras, not new. (Edit: apparently not just that but combining in-camera and in-lens IS sensor data for improved stabilization)

DLO - What is that?

In-camera Digital Lens Optimizer. Based on optical transfer function data corrects for aberrations, diffraction, and AA filter effect. Has been available in Canon DPP and in-camera in some more expensive models.

CR3 - OMG OMG! Want to see what's better in it in real life.

I wouldn't get my hopes up that this has much relevance to the photographer.
 

goldenhusky

EOS RP
CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
432
252
courtesy digicame-info

More detailed spec of EOS M50

- 24.1 Million Pixels APS - C CMOS
- DIGIC 8
- Dual pixel CMOS AF with greatly improved performance
- AF area is enlarged by about 38% with corresponding lens (100% vertical × 88% wide of live view image display range)
- Selectable AF points are corresponding lenses up to 143 points (99 points for non-compatible lenses)
- pupil detection AF
- Dual Sensing IS
- Silent mode
- DLO in camera
- RAW development in camera
- Video: 4K 25p / 24p, FHD 60p, HD 120p
- Extract frames from 4K movies
- 5-axis electronic image stabilization compensation · Combination IS
- Standard ISO: 100-25600 (extended ISO: 51200)
- Continuous: Up to 10 frames per second (at servo AF: up to 7.4 frames / sec)
- EVF: 0.39 type 2.36 million dot Organic EL
- Type 3 104,000 dpi Baliangle Touch Panel LCD
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC installed
- Wireless remote controller BR-E1 compatible
- HDMI HDR output compatible
- Supports next-generation CR3 RAW format and new C-RAW compression format
- The C - RAW format has a smaller file size than the conventional RAW by 40%, and it corresponds to in - camera RAW development and digital lens optimizer
- Battery: LP - E 12
- Size: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm
- Weight: 387 g black, 390 g white (including battery and memory card)
- Color: Black · White
- (Additional description) Dual sensing IS corrects camera shake using both information of the sensor on the body side and information on the lens gyro sensor, improves the effect of 0.5 steps when still
- (Additional notes) New silent mode can shoot with no shutter sound at all
- (Additional description) Improvement of the Auto Lighting Optimizer
- (Additional description) Improvement of high brightness side gradation priority function
- (Additional description) 4K / full HD time lapse function
- (Additional description) Microphone terminal, stereo microphone DM-E1 compatible
- (Additional description) Improvement of AF accuracy during moving object tracking using distance information between moving subject and background
- (Additional description) 2 axis electronic level
- (Additional description) Supports HDR output from HDMI when playing RAW images
 

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
8,617
1,642
Key questions with this spec list?

1) How good is the eye AF?

2) What in the blazes is dual-sensing IS? Is the sensor actually floating w.r.t. to the body or does it just have sensors/accelerometers onboard to (I don't know) better inform the lens IS?

3) When my new EF 50 prime comes out next year, it will get the 143 point AF treatment, right? ;D

- A
 

syyeung1

EOS M50
Feb 20, 2018
26
12
My only complain: the spec looks really good, at least on paper, meaning less chance of bargain hunting!!

M5 body had been on sale for less than US$550 (from Canon website) in Hong Kong since last October, and are recently back to regular price. May be they have cleared all stock to make room for the M50. Really exciting times ahead. Just wish there is no surprising omission, and I will place an order immediately!!
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,365
1,267
Turku, Finland
neuroanatomist said:
Hybrid IS is a lens feature (found in several of Canon's macro lenses), nothing to do with the camera body.

True, brain fart from my part. Edited. I was actually thinking of the combined use of lens and electronic IS familiar from DIGIC7 bodies but seems this is a new thing that also benefits stills, not just video.
 
Feb 22, 2018
1
0
Can someone explain does 4K 25P/24P mean that’s the only frame rate options? I’d be a little disappointed if it doesn’t have 30P
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
goldenhusky said:
New silent mode can shoot with no shutter sound at all

Improvement of high brightness side gradation priority function

so it has an e-shutter for the first time in a canon camera.

"Improvement of high brightness side gradation priority function" that sounds like HTP improvements.
 

okaro

EOS 90D
Oct 10, 2015
132
9
Interestingly they use the LP-E12 i.e. the one on the cheaper cameras. There are third party batteries for that. I have three of those. That is a major factor in choosing a camera as Canon originals are not cheap and I could never go without a spare.
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
thinking about this camera, it really sounds like canon decided to make the choice camera for vlogging.

external mic, don't care about headphone jack, minimal controls and a front facing screen that you can still attach a mic on the hotshoe

if this camera fits in with the sub-$799 pricing, Canon in one shot probably put themselves back squarely into the vlogging conversation. DPAF, Canon colors, fully articulating screen and 4K? there's nothing missing from that for even the fastidious of vloggers. the mic jack could have been placed better, but that's a minor complaint really.

vloggers have been moving back to 1080p Canon cameras just for the color and DPAF, this should worry the panasonics of the world that their low end vlogging capable cameras like the GX85 are no longer safe.

this all goes out the door if it's MJPEG, or priced alot higher. or has a horrendous 4k crop.

But for now it's looking like a pretty good camera for that segment of the market that Canon for the most part has ignored.
 

IglooEater

EOS R
Nov 15, 2014
904
0
Canon s aps-c mirrorless lineup is making me very eager to see a full frame offering if nothing else. If I were looking for a crop camera I would consider one of the mirrorless as quite up to snuff.
 

crazyrunner33

EOS RP
Nov 4, 2011
306
125
rrcphoto said:
thinking about this camera, it really sounds like canon decided to make the choice camera for vlogging.

external mic, don't care about headphone jack, minimal controls and a front facing screen that you can still attach a mic on the hotshoe

if this camera fits in with the sub-$799 pricing, Canon in one shot probably put themselves back squarely into the vlogging conversation. DPAF, Canon colors, fully articulating screen and 4K? there's nothing missing from that for even the fastidious of vloggers. the mic jack could have been placed better, but that's a minor complaint really.

vloggers have been moving back to 1080p Canon cameras just for the color and DPAF, this should worry the panasonics of the world that their low end vlogging capable cameras like the GX85 are no longer safe.

this all goes out the door if it's MJPEG, or priced alot higher. or has a horrendous 4k crop.

But for now it's looking like a pretty good camera for that segment of the market that Canon for the most part has ignored.

The last missing puzzle piece is time limit in 4K and reliability. Panasonic has produced reliable small large sensor cameras with 4K for years, but Sony has shown that they can't do it reliably, and that's why Canon stuck with MJPEG. Crossing my fingers in hopes that the DIGIC 8 and the new sensor can deal with heat.
 

rrcphoto

EOS R6
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
crazyrunner33 said:
rrcphoto said:
thinking about this camera, it really sounds like canon decided to make the choice camera for vlogging.

external mic, don't care about headphone jack, minimal controls and a front facing screen that you can still attach a mic on the hotshoe

if this camera fits in with the sub-$799 pricing, Canon in one shot probably put themselves back squarely into the vlogging conversation. DPAF, Canon colors, fully articulating screen and 4K? there's nothing missing from that for even the fastidious of vloggers. the mic jack could have been placed better, but that's a minor complaint really.

vloggers have been moving back to 1080p Canon cameras just for the color and DPAF, this should worry the panasonics of the world that their low end vlogging capable cameras like the GX85 are no longer safe.

this all goes out the door if it's MJPEG, or priced alot higher. or has a horrendous 4k crop.

But for now it's looking like a pretty good camera for that segment of the market that Canon for the most part has ignored.

The last missing puzzle piece is time limit in 4K and reliability. Panasonic has produced reliable small large sensor cameras with 4K for years, but Sony has shown that they can't do it reliably, and that's why Canon stuck with MJPEG. Crossing my fingers in hopes that the DIGIC 8 and the new sensor can deal with heat.

true that. I would assume that canon wouldn't put it in the camera if it overheats like a sony-made camera coffee warmer.

it could be a bad assumption, canon has done weird and whacky things to the EF-M lineup (i'm looking at YOU M3.. )
 
Feb 22, 2018
3
0
One question: Is the ring around the shutter buttom a control dail?

It seems to me, that this is the one control dail on the camrea.
It could be that the control layout is not so enthusiast oriented. That's maybe what they mean, when the say between the M5 and the M100.

I'm still thrilled. This could be the first highter capable camera of Canon in a long time, that doesn't have som serious flaws.
 

Sharlin

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
1,365
1,267
Turku, Finland
rrcphoto said:
it could be a bad assumption, canon has done weird and whacky things to the EF-M lineup (i'm looking at YOU M3.. )

I think the M3 and earlier M bodies can now be safely considered learning experiences for Canon. Some questionable decisions may have stemmed from internal politicking (I'm pretty sure they have had executive-level disagreements on whether this mirrorless thing is real and if it is, how quickly they should hop on the bandwagon). The new generation (M5, M6, M100, M50) seem to have a much more consistent, decisive drive behind them, which is also reflected by the change in naming convention.
 
Feb 22, 2018
7
0
I had hopes for this camera until I saw it shared this new sensor with the new T7. I suspect the Dynamic range will be an issue.