Canon EOS M50, More Images and Specifications

Jun 20, 2013
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:
The powershot firmware is the reason we got EVF, focus peaking and all the other goodies on the mirrorless side.

Er... no. The M/M2 were on regular firmware, that's why Magic Lantern worked on them.

err yes? the EVF, focus peaking, etc came with powershot firmware on the M3..

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Hector1970 said:
What's the limiting factor of this camera not having a faster FPS?

Shutter mechanism?
Sensor read speed?
Processor speed?
Data bus speed?
Buffer write speed?
Card write speed?
Product differentiation?
Uselessness of 15fps to a beginner?
Uselessness of 15fps with AF locked in general?

Most likely all of them. Would be bad engineering AND bad economics to design everything to a higher standard and then leave a single bottleneck... Mind that 24MP*15fps would be a higher throughput than the friggin' 1-D X Mk II's 20MP*16fps. So I think you might see why a $800 entry-level body wouldn't have that.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
rrcphoto said:
Quackator said:
rrcphoto said:
The powershot firmware is the reason we got EVF, focus peaking and all the other goodies on the mirrorless side.

Er... no. The M/M2 were on regular firmware, that's why Magic Lantern worked on them.

err yes? the EVF, focus peaking, etc came with powershot firmware on the M3..

EVF, yes. The rest came with Magic Lantern on the big firmware.
And ML support was crapped by the powershot firmware.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Can anyone suggest how this may compare to the M3? I love the image quality of my M3, but it often feels sluggish in tracking and capturing. I don't think high FPS matters that much to me in this type of body as it would be my B-camera, but I found the M3 extremely poor when it came to processing those continuous exposures (admittedly, RAW+JPG). It would slow the camera down immensely to the point that it would be unusuable after just 3 or 4 continuous snaps. Even after getting a better SD card, it was still sluggish. I refuse to buy another camera that is that poor at continuous RAW shooting, although, not sure how I can find this out beforehand.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
shunsai said:
Can anyone suggest how this may compare to the M3? I love the image quality of my M3, but it often feels sluggish in tracking and capturing. I don't think high FPS matters that much to me in this type of body as it would be my B-camera, but I found the M3 extremely poor when it came to processing those continuous exposures (admittedly, RAW+JPG). It would slow the camera down immensely to the point that it would be unusuable after just 3 or 4 continuous snaps. Even after getting a better SD card, it was still sluggish. I refuse to buy another camera that is that poor at continuous RAW shooting, although, not sure how I can find this out beforehand.

I would go to a camera store and ask to demo one :) Then just try out the AF tracking and drive mode, and see if they are to your liking.

I can't recall what the specs said, but it sounded pretty impressive in that regard.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Talys said:
I would go to a camera store and ask to demo one :) Then just try out the AF tracking and drive mode, and see if they are to your liking.

I can't recall what the specs said, but it sounded pretty impressive in that regard.

Yeah, I usually do. Some stores have been weird about allowing me to insert my own memory card though. And test shots while tethered to the display counter haven't been a very good indicator of real-world use for me unfortunately. I'll definitely wait to hear user reports though, particularly over any claims of it being "sluggish". Hopefully an M5 follow-up will shortly follow.

Upvote 0