Canon EOS R1. Canon’s Flagship Re-Invented.

That's "dual gain output", which is not the same as "dual gain". For example, the R5 has dual gain (at ISO 100 and 400) but unfortunately it can't produce combined output.
If the specs posted by Adorama came from Canon, it would be clear what was meant. But it seems pretty obvious they didn't. Canon never stated anything about the dual gain of the R5's sensor, that came from analysis of the output.

Since the R5 has dual gain, that's not likely to be touted as a major advance for the R1. DGO, however, would be.

I don't believe that the R1 has to have something special, a straightforward evolution from the 1D X III to mirrorless is not unreasonable. A 30 MP version of the R3's sensor with an even faster readout speed and 120 fps continuous shooting makes sense. But I'm still hoping that Canon makes a bigger splash than that, and DGO would be one way to accomplish that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Except I don't see how it handles the scenario for sensor cleaning...
"What’s interesting about the mechanism described in the patent text is that it’s entirely passive. Instead of being powered by a motor, the mechanism automatically opens when a lens is twisted into the lens mount and closes as the lens is removed from the lens mount, thanks to an array of integrated levers and springs"

I have no doubts that Canon would have a protective curtain against dust when changing lenses if they removed the mechanical shutter.
By mounting a fake hollow and flat "lens".

Upvote 0
I just noticed that the texture patterns on the R1 and R3 bear a remarkable resemblance to those on my wife's and my bed pillows. Mine matches the R3, so the R1 will definitely be an upgrade.

View attachment 216877
With the upgrade, you both can enjoy an even more robust experience textured for satisfaction.
Of course I'm referring to photographic adventures.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Speak for yourself; I love adapting FD lenses to my R6II. Also Hasselblad lenses, which I can use as tilt-shift with the right adapter. One of the best parts about the new mirrorless world is how easy it is to adapt older lenses.
I have no doubt that there are some users that adapt older lenses but what would you estimate the % of total users doing this would be?

Upvote 0
I have no doubt that there are some users that adapt older lenses but what would you estimate the % of total users doing this would be?
A small percentage, sure. But small enough for Canon to sell a camera that locks them out? I'm less certain.

Remember that cine shooters make up a decent portion of those willing to plunk down serious cash on camera gear, and they're the ones who have bid up old copies of the nFD 24/1.4L to $4,500. Maybe Canon is willing to tell them to go pound sand on the R1 and hopes they'll buy a C300 instead.

Upvote 0
A small percentage, sure. But small enough for Canon to sell a camera that locks them out? I'm less certain.
The context was related to the post linking a mechanical protective shutter for when lenses are taken off but I commented that I wasn't sure how this works for sensor cleaning...
EOS 4 LIFE then said
"I kind of do wish it was mechanical instead of electronic.
Currently, adding and removing lenses that do not have electronic connections does not open or close the shutter."

I am happy that Canon doesn't lock out lenses with no electronic connections.
I estimate the users to be rounding error of a 0.01% given their market share unit numbers.
I reckon that more astro modded bodies would be sold. Been a while since the Ra so perhaps one the new ones will be a R5a with optional grip for cooling down to -10C :)

Upvote 0
The context was related to the post linking a mechanical protective shutter for when lenses are taken off but I commented that I wasn't sure how this works for sensor cleaning...
EOS 4 LIFE then said
"I kind of do wish it was mechanical instead of electronic.
Currently, adding and removing lenses that do not have electronic connections does not open or close the shutter."

Oh, you're so close. So,
  1. if the shutter is closed when a lens is not attached, and
  2. the shutter does not open when adding or removing a lens without electronic connections, and
  3. a lens without electronic connections is added...
what will the resulting state of the shutter be, with a non-electronic lens attached?

Upvote 0
Oh, you're so close. So,
  1. if the shutter is closed when a lens is not attached, and
  2. the shutter does not open when adding or removing a lens without electronic connections, and
  3. a lens without electronic connections is added...
what will the resulting state of the shutter be, with a non-electronic lens attached?
From the patent, I assume it closes the mechanical sensor cover as it is triggered by the mechanical removal of the lens ie independent of any electonic connections. It wouldn't help with sensor cleaning option if the trigger is only mechanical.

Upvote 0
From the patent, I assume it closes the mechanical sensor cover as it is triggered by the mechanical removal of the lens ie independent of any electonic connections. It wouldn't help with sensor cleaning option if the trigger is only mechanical.
Right, because the solution the patent describes is mechanical, as EOS 4 LIFE was saying they'd prefer. Your comment, that the number of lenses requiring this sort of solution was small, would imply that a mechanical solution (as in the patent) is unnecessary.

Upvote 0
just not enough for haters/other manufacturers' fanbois ;p
I think 30mp is perfect for the type of settings this camera is targeting: mainly, events and reportage. Basically a crazy sharp image with a tiny bit of room to crop (the latter of which you don’t really get much of with the R3’s 20mp), but not so big that the file size paired with the insane volume would bog the post process down too bad.

Speaking of volume — I hope they implement a way to choose selects in-camera so that you can quickly delete the throwaways. If you shoot a 3-second burst at 120fps, for example, and I want 3 out of 360, it would be very nice to save the selects and easily discard those other pics so that a) your cards don’t needlessly fill up and b) you don’t chew through your computer’s storage when importing.

Upvote 0
I think 30mp is perfect for the type of settings this camera is targeting: mainly, events and reportage. Basically a crazy sharp image with a tiny bit of room to crop (the latter of which you don’t really get much of with the R3’s 20mp), but not so big that the file size paired with the insane volume would bog the post process down too bad.

Speaking of volume — I hope they implement a way to choose selects in-camera so that you can quickly delete the throwaways. If you shoot a 3-second burst at 120fps, for example, and I want 3 out of 360, it would be very nice to save the selects and easily discard those other pics so that a) your cards don’t needlessly fill up and b) you don’t chew through your computer’s storage when importing.
My R8 has the "delete all images in this set?" option to delete everything in a burst. It would be nice if you can easily protect the images you want to keep, kinda like the iPhone has for bursts. Maybe the 'rate' button will finally have a use for me :)

Upvote 0