Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
to say that they are "dragging their feet" or no longer being "true innovators" is completely untrue.
To be fair they were VERY late to the MILFF market and IBIS, as well as backside illumination (BI) sensor. Arguably they're now late to accept third-party AF lenses on their MILFF mount. I think they're largely caught up now but weren't the trendsetter in DR either, if I recall correctly, for quite a few years. In comparison, when I started shooting EOS in '96, USM gave them a towering advantage, and were the only vendor with pellicle mirrors, TS, and always seemed to have an extra third of a stop or a little bit more zoom range than Nikon.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
To be fair they were VERY late to the MILFF
To be fair though, Sony still don't have a touch menu system in most of their range. Until they sort that out it's not appropriate to hold them up as futuristic innovators since they're stuck solidly in the 1990's. Sony are great at numbers and hype but I came back to Canon because their cameras are more usable to get the job done.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Im normally a Canon fanboy but unless this camera can at least match the Sony FX 30 and come with a wide angle power zoom like Sony have anyone below 30 will opt for the Sony.
Canon are really dragging their feet and letting the side down in a number of areas which is really a big surprise. Ive bough Canon for six decades and they were true innovators but they seem to be late followers to the party these days.
What are you on about? This would be a very cheap entry-level body. It only has to "compete" with "Rebels".

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Im normally a Canon fanboy but unless this camera can at least match the Sony FX 30 and come with a wide angle power zoom like Sony have anyone below 30 will opt for the Sony.
Canon are really dragging their feet and letting the side down in a number of areas which is really a big surprise. Ive bough Canon for six decades and they were true innovators but they seem to be late followers to the party these days.
Yes, yes...Canon is d00med. Where have I heard that before? In any case, welcome to the ranks of those who've been predicting Canon's d00m here on CR forum for well over a decade. I think you guys really need a logo, this one seems appropriate.

Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 11.03.53 AM.png

• Haha
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I must have missed this lens. Or are you confusing a patent application with an actual product?
It may be just a patent application, but I thought it had been announced as a forthcoming product. I need to check ;).
Either way, it demonstrates that Canon are indeed still "true innovators".

EDIT: here is the quote from CR:

"I have reported on the coming tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount, these are apparently going to be the first tilt-shift lenses with autofocus.

I have been told that Canon plans to introduce two new autofocus tilt-shift lenses alongside a high-megapixel camera. The announcement timeframe for such a camera is still unknown, but the source claims the first half of 2022 is extremely likely and that these lenses were to come in late 2021.

The two rumored autofocus tilt-shift lenses from Canon will be the Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L and Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
."

I'd definitely get the TS-R 14mm F4L if it makes it as far as production. Better for me than a wide-zoom, and huge *fun* to use. I do sometimes forget that my TS-E 24mm F3.5L is manual focus, and just hit the button, because everything looks sharp in an EVF even if it's a little out of focus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this was a little video shooter to compete with the FX30, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
This is an entry level or slightly higher product designed for a $750 price level. The FX30 is $1800. And Canon would never ever eat into dedicated cinema product lines, especially at this price level.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Everyone comparing this to an FX30 needs to breathe into a paper bag. This is a $750 price level entry level kit to pick up at Walmart for your significant other around the holidays. No pro's or semi-pros would ever consider this (they have plenty of serious options from Sony and Panasonic at the $1500-2500 price level), and Canon is certainly not targeting them with this.

It really goes to show how skewed the pro and prosumer perspective is, that you are discussing specs that normal people will never need or understand. 4k60? really? This will make any difference to anyone in the target market for this camera? IBIS would make a big difference, but they won't know what it is or that this camera is missing it, just that their pictures in anything except daylight are all coming out blurry. This camera is not designed to be used, just to be bought, gifted, played with for a few weeks, and thrown in a desk drawer after the novelty or the trip to the Galapagos is over.

And that gets to the heart of the matter. Let's be honest. No one needs this camera. Have you seen what an iPhone 14 is capable of? I mean, seriously now. You can get beautiful images with macro, normal and telephoto lenses. Stunning, high contrast, very good dynamic range, color corrected, stabilized video. And once you're done shooting, it's all right there for you, on the most connected, supported and capable device that 99% of people may ever need. And there's a new iphone coming out in a year with even BETTER features.

All the specs of this camera are irrelevant, because (in my opinion) Canon is not even trying to build something that most people who will buy will want to continue to use. They are working from the engineering and sales side down, not from the consumer side up.

The competition to this camera is not the FX30, it's an iPhone, and Canon will continue to lose, even if it makes just enough to tread water.

• Angry
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Everyone comparing this to an FX30 needs to breathe into a paper bag. This is a $750 price level entry level kit to pick up at Walmart for your significant other around the holidays. No pro's or semi-pros would ever consider this (they have plenty of serious options from Sony and Panasonic at the $1500-2500 price level), and Canon is certainly not targeting them with this.

It really goes to show how skewed the pro and prosumer perspective is, that you are discussing specs that normal people will never need or understand. 4k60? really? This will make any difference to anyone in the target market for this camera? IBIS would make a big difference, but they won't know what it is or that this camera is missing it, just that their pictures in anything except daylight are all coming out blurry. This camera is not designed to be used, just to be bought, gifted, played with for a few weeks, and thrown in a desk drawer after the novelty or the trip to the Galapagos is over.

And that gets to the heart of the matter. Let's be honest. No one needs this camera. Have you seen what an iPhone 14 is capable of? I mean, seriously now. You can get beautiful images with macro, normal and telephoto lenses. Stunning, high contrast, very good dynamic range, color corrected, stabilized video. And once you're done shooting, it's all right there for you, on the most connected, supported and capable device that 99% of people may ever need. And there's a new iphone coming out in a year with even BETTER features.

All the specs of this camera are irrelevant, because (in my opinion) Canon is not even trying to build something that most people who will buy will want to continue to use. They are working from the engineering and sales side down, not from the consumer side up.

The competition to this camera is not the FX30, it's an iPhone, and Canon will continue to lose, even if it makes just enough to tread water.
My thoughts exactly.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

You want a $600 entry-level R100 to match a 3X more expensive video-focused camera - in video features? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I must have missed this lens. Or are you confusing a patent application with an actual product?
If the Canon patent applications* for autofocus tilt/shift lenses, mirror lenses with autofocus and lens stabilization, and other lens innovations became reality, then Canon would be so ahead of everyone else.
* Some may be patents by now.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
What are you on about? This would be a very cheap entry-level body. It only has to "compete" with "Rebels".
If this is supposed to be a Rebel with an RF mount then we also need to see budget lenses.

But like viktorshikhman said, no one needs this kind of camera anymore. Most people have all the video capability they need in their phones if they're just wanting to make TikTok videos or Instagram stories.

If Canon wants to make it the next M6 Mark II then it needs to be in the same price range, and it sorely needs a wide angle RF-S lens for vlogging. Adding features like USB charging while recording would make it much easier for streamers too.

Upvote 0