Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Roll this out with a compact pancake lens (flatter than the ef-m 22mm please) and it may just make for a great little discrete street snapper.
Not going to happen. Bigger lens mount means bigger lenses. Could they maybe do something interesting? Of course. Will they pair this with an unremarkable kit lens and offer some existing standard RF primes with an upgrade path to full frame? Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This should be a FF compact to compete with the Sony A7C. Add IBIS and an add on EVF. If Canon really wanted to be bold even make a small vertical grip for it. Even Sony doesn’t have that for the A7C.
This should be a compact medium format camera that also makes julienne fries.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Most people have all the video capability they need in their phones if they're just wanting to make TikTok videos or Instagram stories

Imagine the work flow between trying to do tiktok or instagram stories using an iphone app, or this camera (with no built-in filters, no integrated music, no easy settings, multi-step upload and editing). Millions of new photographers and videographers are being minted monthly on all these apps, and Canon gets zero of that cheese. I'm not saying it's easy, but they could try to innovate something that most people might actually want to use without becoming film majors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Imagine the work flow between trying to do tiktok or instagram stories using an iphone app, or this camera (with no built-in filters, no integrated music, no easy settings, multi-step upload and editing). Millions of new photographers and videographers are being minted monthly on all these apps, and Canon gets zero of that cheese. I'm not saying it's easy, but they could try to innovate something that most people might actually want to use without becoming film majors.
They tried that once, with a Facebook button.

EB2052E8-5AA9-48C7-8758-4D544DC898A1.jpeg

I don’t think Canon is really trying to compete with smartphones, they can’t. They’re hoping to draw in those who want better output than a cell phone can deliver. I’m at a high school football game tonight, and while the iPhone 14 Pro takes good pictures, under high school stadium night lighting with fast action at a distance it’s not going to deliver what I want. Thus the R3, RF 70-200/2.8 and 100-500, and a Vixia HF G60 for video.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
They tried that once, with a Facebook button.

View attachment 205802

I don’t think Canon is really trying to compete with smartphones, they can’t. They’re hoping to draw in those who want better output than a cell phone can deliver. I’m at a high school football game tonight, and while the iPhone 14 Pro takes good pictures, under high school stadium night lighting with fast action at a distance it’s not going to deliver what I want. Thus the R3, RF 70-200/2.8 and 100-500, and a Vixia HF G60 for video.
HF G60? I own one of those, but I've never tried it at a football game. On a tripod shooting music groups, it works just fine. Given your taste for equipment, I'm surprised you didn't go for the XF605.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
Not going to happen. Bigger lens mount means bigger lenses. Could they maybe do something interesting? Of course. Will they pair this with an unremarkable kit lens and offer some existing standard RF primes with an upgrade path to full frame? Yes.
Interesting that Sony can make a very very small FF but can’t cant or hasn’t shown to be able to thus far.

And I am a faithful Canon user. For now…

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
EF and R mounts are about the same size so why can't they make an RF-s and/or RF pancake lens ?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
HF G60? I own one of those, but I've never tried it at a football game. On a tripod shooting music groups, it works just fine. Given your taste for equipment, I'm surprised you didn't go for the XF605.
Bought it a couple of weeks ago. I don’t shoot much video, had been using an HF M41. I saw the announcement for the G70, and I preferred the form factor of that over XF605. I don’t need XLR inputs, handle, etc. I went for the G60 for the smaller form factor with a 1” sensor.

Also, it appears that the G70 does not have a mini advanced hotshoe. I have the DM-100 directional mic that I bought for use with the M41 (and the VL-5 light, although I don’t use that often), and those work with the G60.

Jerk move by Canon to not include the wall wart charger with the G60, meaning you need to charge the battery with the camera or spend an extra $90. Fortunately I don’t have to do either, because that charger was included with the much less expensive M41 several years ago.

Upvote 0
It's a shame it doesn't have a viewfinder, it had potential to be a great RF replacement of the M50. I would also prefer less FPS and more buffer time, but having 12FPS does look better on the spec sheet compared to say 7FPS. I don't think it's going to get 4k/60p at all, and even if it did it will have a crop and probably contrast detect AF only. You would be lucky if it got uncropped 4k/30p with dual pixel AF. As far as I know the M6 II is only discontinued in some markets.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
I have really enjoyed 35mm SLR's back to developing BW film, prints etc years back and a Ricoh XR2S in 80's with several lens. Fortunately the Tri-x film from 5 weeks in South America was separated in other luggage before my kit was stolen by a cab driver. I never replaced it with any SLR until an Cann Elan model in the 90's I had for business product photos, great and reliable. Convenience to me is key. I had several camcorders that were great, then the first pocket 110 Elph, and other Canon compacts, the first iPhone 3, it was convenient but low res and after that a number of smartphones all decent snapshots and videos but they all sucked for telephoto or macro. I loved Canon's products and still do. I owned a iPhone 7 a few years ago with great "Live" merged photos and panorama stitching on a long 3 month trip and shot 10,000 photos with it, all were really nice quality images and sent to immediate backup to the iCloud. How convenient to have the iCloud, as it was stolen near end of my trip. The idea of instant photos with a phone cannot be compared to most users to an extent. But Smartphones then had no macro or telephoto like a larger DSLR or MILC would give me. I will never buy anymore Apple products like a 14, as they all are built to die in 5 years and all are intrusive OS's.

So I bought an M50 a couple years ago to use with the adapter and bargain EF and EF-S lenses I got used cheap with a 20D a friend sold me (who uses an iPhone only), which I never used that 20D body nor wanted a 90D. Reading all the "M is dead" comments here helped me rethink things (thanks) about the M6ii thread I stalled buying another M50 the Mark 2 version with clean HDMI. So along came the R10, and I got motivated to buy it, but after reading all the No cheap or 3rd party AF R lens and no $500 inexpensive wide angle lenses really, I delayed and bought a Sony Apsc and 4 lens. The Sony isn't as difficult to navigate the menu's as I read, but the touch screen of the M50 is superior, and it articulates.

The M50 Its a great prosumer-hobby camera, touch screen interface and image enlargements with 2 finger stretch like a Smartphone.

So today's R100 announcement confuses me further as to continue with Sony (I want 2 more inexpensive MILC cameras for video podcast rental studio on the cheap side) and if this replaces the M50 there still are no inexpensive R lens, I dislike the EF adapter alternative now and rather buy the M50 mkii instead before it is discontinued or another Sony as there are inexpensive E mount cheap decent AF lens and Sigma and Tamrom supports AF. I even looked at the $1300 6D Mark 2 today just to have EF direct and Regular HD video (I could care less about 4k, file size, editing, storage, etc). So will wait to see, but the FX30 looks interesting and could use my few new E mount lens with it. What would you (anyone here) do if you had say $3000 budget for 2 more cameras in my situation? I could buy 2 more M50's and pancake lens... and tripods, etc. I have no need for 4k, 30 min limit no big deal, no 15 fps, or telephoto birds, cars, or mountain climbing- just home studio, still life, street and urban and indoor use, and some macro. I just see the M mount lens from Canon done, and Sigma EF-M dying off, inventory isn't everywhere I notice.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This should be a FF compact to compete with the Sony A7C. Add IBIS and an add on EVF. If Canon really wanted to be bold even make a small vertical grip for it. Even Sony doesn’t have that for the A7C.
At $799 it should be at least a Hubble. /S

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Interesting that Sony can make a very very small FF but can’t cant or hasn’t shown to be able to thus far.

And I am a faithful Canon user. For now…
IDK, the RP is pretty small. Too small can also be a liability in the market. My Olympus is very small and a real p.i.t.a. when it comes to handling.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
IDK, the RP is pretty small. Too small can also be a liability in the market. My Olympus is very small and a real p.i.t.a. when it comes to handling.
What I like about the RP is that you can keep it nice and small by using the 16mm and 50mm STM lenses and if you want it to handle bigger lenses, you can attach the EG-E1 mini-grip.

And compared to the M6II or even the original M, the RP is huuuuuuuge.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What I like about the RP is that you can keep it nice and small by using the 16mm and 50mm STM lenses and if you want it to handle bigger lenses, you can attach the EG-E1 mini-grip.

And compared to the M6II or even the original M, the RP is huuuuuuuge.
RP is a great little camera. I use an R5 for all my photography these days, but I also have an RP body as an emergency backup. Small, but just big enough to be usable with a RF100-500mm, cheap, lightweight, takes up no space.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
RP is a great little camera. I use an R5 for all my photography hese days, but I also have an RP body as an emergency backup. Small, but just big enough to be usable with a RF100-500mm, cheap, lightweight, takes up no space.
I sold my RP to pay for the R5, I miss the formfactor but the M6II and R5 have spoiled me with their features that the RP lacks.
Hence my interest in the R100. The R10 is IMO too big and expensive to lack IBIS.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I sold my RP to pay for the R5, I miss the formfactor but the M6II and R5 have spoiled me with their features that the RP lacks.
Hence my interest in the R100. The R10 is IMO too big and expensive to lack IBIS.
I can fully understand that the R5 has spoiled you with features that the RP lacks. There's no way I'd be satisfied with the RP if it was my only camera.

The R5 is my main camera, and until recently I used my 5DMkiv as backup, but now I've switched almost entirely to RF lenses so I've had to get another RF mount body as backup.

In a couple of days I'm off for 3 weeks to Bolivia and Ecuador photographing insects, birds and landscapes. I'll have either the RF 100mm macro or the RF 100-500mm on the R5. The RP (bought mint secondhand) is there mainly as an emergency backup body, but I'll bung the RF 24-105mm on it, to be ready for landscapes and travel shots.

I'm not concerned about the lack of IBIS in the RP. For tele and macro, most of the stabilisation is done by the lens, and for wide-angle stuff in normal lighting conditions stabilisation isn't a problem. If the light is weaker I just turn the ISO up to 800-1000 and use Topaz DeNoise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0