Canon EOS R100 specifications, which is possibly Canon’s next camera to be announced [CR1]

Jan 27, 2020
Inaction speaks louder than words. The M6 II was released in 2019, and I have seen no evidence that there will ever be a M6 III. The M-series is so unimportant to Canon that they don't even acknowledge its existence in their quarterly financial documents. CanonRumors was very premature in declaring M to be dead, but I believe that it has finally happened.
They have acknowledged that 30% of their sales are in M cameras, which seems to me make them quite aware of its importance.. I personally don't believe there will be an M6 III because that camera was always an outlier to the other cameras of the M system - in other words, a simple compact, take anywhere camera system. So, I beleieve they will continue to make and sell M50's for a while yet. If Canon rumors wants to consider M dead, and wants to believe that every inexpensive new Canon camera is an M replacement", so be it. They also seem to believe that every DSLR camera or lens that is not in stock is suddenly discontinued. Call me silly, but I am not stupid enough to believe everything I read on the internet and more importantly, everything I read on a Rumors site.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
More junk. The M6 mk 2 is 32.5mp. Sony released junk masquerading as a Cine camera. This is merely an RF Rebel. To replace all of the other junk that isnt selling. While Sony and Canon invest some of their resources to support smartphones and a few super high end cameras they throw all the rest of their trash sensors into the other cameras. Not buying anymore junk cameras with non stacked sensors. Fujifilm set the bar with the X-H2s. Even the GX 7 m3 has a 20mp stacked sensor. Heck, that sensor is 3 years old already. You're being screwed royally purchasing a non stacked sensor. Old hardware technology.
Pros have been using non-stacked sensors for decades and have been doing fine lol. Also stacked sensor technology is expensive and not required in most shooting situations.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
The sensor is the heart of the camera image processing. Similarly film was the same in older cameras. Fujifilm recently took the apsc crown from the 32.5mp Canon M6 mk 2 with its 40mp X-H2. And put an exclamation point on the apsc sensor standard with its stacked CMOS X-H2s. Canon recently announced that it would begin to roll out its stacked sensors. We shall see if Canon puts action to the words. Or continue to toss out bare boned and ancient technology.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Pros have been using non-stacked sensors for decades and have been doing fine lol. Also stacked sensor technology is expensive and not required in most shooting situations.
Please. Profesionals use all sorts of tools. Some may use a $30k PhaseOne IQ, while others may chose an Apple iphone. A recent Vogue magazine shot of a Beyonce collection was done with analog film by a young photographer. However, he didn't pay 2021 digital camera prices for that Pentax 67 either. Old technology masquerading as new state of the art technology is one reason camera sales are in the tank and will never again be the platform for leading cutting edge tech. A smartphone has more new hardware technology per square inch. Heck, cameras do not even have internal storage. Stacked sensors are so expensive Canon put a 20mp stacked sensor in the GX 7 III in 2019. A point and shoot. So much for that BS about being so expensive. Actually being on separate subtrates, they can be cheaper to manufacture. Subtrates being manufactured separately by different manufacturers. Cheaper

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It may be just a patent application, but I thought it had been announced as a forthcoming product. I need to check ;).
Either way, it demonstrates that Canon are indeed still "true innovators".

EDIT: here is the quote from CR:

"I have reported on the coming tilt-shift lenses for the RF mount, these are apparently going to be the first tilt-shift lenses with autofocus.

I have been told that Canon plans to introduce two new autofocus tilt-shift lenses alongside a high-megapixel camera. The announcement timeframe for such a camera is still unknown, but the source claims the first half of 2022 is extremely likely and that these lenses were to come in late 2021.

The two rumored autofocus tilt-shift lenses from Canon will be the Canon TS-R 14mm f/4L and Canon TS-R 24mm f/3.5L
."

I'd definitely get the TS-R 14mm F4L if it makes it as far as production. Better for me than a wide-zoom, and huge *fun* to use. I do sometimes forget that my TS-E 24mm F3.5L is manual focus, and just hit the button, because everything looks sharp in an EVF even if it's a little out of focus.
However, the first half of 2022 has passed.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
It is just reasonable to move into one lens mount (sorry for the guy who argued with me that it is not the right way - but as we see this is the right way Canon (and probbably Nikon and all the rest will do too when only mirror-less cameras are about) took. It reduces the cost for development (need to fill only one optical-sensor design). But I think that the most important aspect is that it "binds" the entry level consumers to the brand. All in all, lenses last much longer than the bodies ( And yes! I stll use some of my old FD glass on the R5 cause there is an optic-less adapter for it), so once someone buys the M100 for a starting camera and get a few good RF glass, it will, in large, move the next buy to another EOS camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
So, it's "New and Improved". Or its simply old stuff, old parts, in a new body. Similar to the FX30. Sold to the consumer as new. For $879 - $979. It will most likely be an old sensor, old amps and electronics, in a shiny new body. A few firmware lines of code copied and pasted.
The M6 is a good camera, so why change it when the only thing you really need to change is the lens mount? All in all, there is little that need to be added to the M6 these days. Well, if it could make the exact coctail it will be even better, but as a camera, for the specific needs it meet, not much to change.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Someone is very angry... I am not sure why though, if you have the cash to buy the R3 go for it (I wish I had, but for other reasons too), but why the anger?

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Someone is very angry... I am not sure why though, if you have the cash to buy the R3 go for it (I wish I had, but for other reasons too), but why the anger?
I'm not angry, just surprised that someone would expect top-of-the-line performance and brand new technology from what is clearly going to be an entry-level vlogging camera. I'm not interested in the R100 either, but to write it off due to a lack of stacked sensor when one is only needed in a minority of challenging shooting situations is missing the mark.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]All in all, there is little that need to be added to the M6 these days. Well, if it could make the exact coctail it will be even better, but as a camera, for the specific needs it meet, not much to change.
One thing I really miss is the option to have the shutter button start/stop video recording. The R5 has it, the M6II doesn’t. I use the remote shutter socket to trigger
the camera, but I can only do stills with that on the M6II.

And yes, that’s a software feature.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They have acknowledged that 30% of their sales are in M cameras, which seems to me make them quite aware of its importance.. I personally don't believe there will be an M6 III because that camera was always an outlier to the other cameras of the M system - in other words, a simple compact, take anywhere camera system. So, I beleieve they will continue to make and sell M50's for a while yet. If Canon rumors wants to consider M dead, and wants to believe that every inexpensive new Canon camera is an M replacement", so be it. They also seem to believe that every DSLR camera or lens that is not in stock is suddenly discontinued. Call me silly, but I am not stupid enough to believe everything I read on the internet and more importantly, everything I read on a Rumors site.
It's a safe bet that Canon will continue to sell the M50 II as long as people buy it. That doesn't mean that there will ever be an M50 III.

The video specs of the M50 II are not up to modern standards.

"Disappointing 1.5x crop on 4K footage
Poor autofocus while shooting 4K
Soft 1080p footage"

-DPR M50 II review

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
One thing I really miss is the option to have the shutter button start/stop video recording. The R5 has it, the M6II doesn’t. I use the remote shutter socket to trigger

And yes, that’s a software feature.
Write to Canon support. They do respond. Be sure to mention that the R5 has this option. That is a primary factor in adding a firmware option. The reason that the R5 recived the "save settings to disk" update was because other prior Canon cameras had this option. I was precisely asked this question in my communication with Canon support. "Which models have this function?" Mention this on other forums also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's a safe bet that Canon will continue to sell the M50 II as long as people buy it. That doesn't mean that there will ever be an M50 III.
Do you believe it’s likely that Canon will not release a single new camera for a market that comprises 30% of its camera sales (EOS M)? Or a market that comprises 40% of its camera sales (DSLRs)? Well, if so you’re in good company…lots of people on this forum seem to think Canon is stupid.

Upvote 0
Do you believe it’s likely that Canon will not release a single new camera for a market that comprises 30% of its camera sales (EOS M)? Or a market that comprises 40% of its camera sales (DSLRs)? Well, if so you’re in good company…lots of people on this forum seem to think Canon is stupid.
Canon isn't stupid.

An R in the same price range as the M50 will sell just as well, and will be compatible with RF lenses.

And Canon is smart enough to read CIPA data showing that DSLR sales continue to go down, down, down.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
An R in the same price range as the M50 will sell just as well, and will be compatible with RF lenses.
And be bigger. With bigger lenses. Maybe it will sell just as well, maybe not. Despite DPR's criticism, the M50 II sells very well. Keep in mind that Canon has mountains of data on APS-C DSLR sales and FF DSLR sales and thus has a very good idea of how many APS-C users bought FF lenses and/or switched to FF. Yet they intentionally chose to make EF-M and RF incompatible. And as we agree, they're not stupid.

And Canon is smart enough to read CIPA data showing that DSLR sales continue to go down, down, down.
Yes, they are going down, down, down. In 2019, DSLRs comprised 43.6% of ILC sales. In 2021, it was 41%. That's a very slow decline. Having said that, so far this year DLSRs comprise only 32% of ILC shipments. We'll see if the downward trend continues as sharply.

Upvote 0
The M6II does have this feature I use it all the time,yellow menu page 3,"shutter button function for movies"

Upvote 0