Canon EOS R5 Specifications

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Not really *or*, but I am in Texas these days... so I'll call it scotch. Definitely taking a snort. :ROFLMAO: Of whiskey.
See, now isn't this better than 'pixel well 'banter?

(or doing the impossible, relating DR to film rez?) Personally I enjoy both wide and narrow latitude films, they each have their own merits and challenges while the red light is on.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
See, now isn't this better than 'pixel well 'banter?

(or doing the impossible, relating DR to film rez?) Personally I enjoy both wide and narrow latitude films, they each have their own merits and challenges while the red light is on.
Speaking of red lights and latitude, I think we're parked dude.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Trying to look up the specs on my screen. Really wondering how much DR it has and whether or not sensor DR makes any difference if my screen can't handle it. Now I'm perturbed. *Pours another scotch or lights a doobie*

I think you would know (if you bought a reference monitor).
Most folks (at least that I know) work and print in sRGB (8-bit) jpeg.
Even going to Adobe RGB (still 8-bit) needs an established workflow (including appropriately dialed in software, monitor, and a printshop that doesn't ignore your ICC profile and has the printers that can cover the full range of your ICC profile).
Either way, 8-bit sRGB/Adobe RGB gives you about 11 stop of dynamic range (through nonlinear compression), which means you have about 3-4 stops of DR to play in post.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
There is no such thing as an 'absolute DR value' for an array of sensor elements.
Of course there is. https://clarkvision.com/articles/digital.sensor.performance.summary/#intro It's 'absolute' in the sense it doesn't depend on human perception, print size and viewing distance.

The very existence of something like RadioactivityCounter proves you wrong.

You've cut my quote and left out an important part of my message. No you can't get more than 14 stops from a 14-bit image. Downsampling a 14-bit image means information loss and no gain in DR. In order to gain the DR, you need to convert to higher bitness. In practice they convert to 16 bits, then downsample. This way you trade the resolution for the DR. You now have more bits to accommodate the additional information. But it's not the original raw image your sensor produced is it?

I to force my users to view 90" prints. To hell with them if they want to view something smaller! :LOL:

You missed the point, the DxO or PTP scores aren't about real prints either. Their models don't involve actual printing. So DxO's 'landscape DR' value doesn't tell you the actual DR of your physical prints.
So as I said, it's simply useless if you try to use it as 'stand alone' value. But it's useful for comparison.

Upvote 0
I have an R and will definitely upgrade to an R5, but the only RF lens I bought, and the only RF lenses I will likely get in the near future are the unicorns (RF 28-70mm f/2). My EF lenses work perfectly on the R, so no reason to duplicated them.
I have in fact owned Canon DSLRs since 2003 and would love for them to coexist with mirrorless. I still don't own a mirrorless camera. I am merely pointing out my prediction for Canon and giving reasons why I think we are quite quickly nearing the end of Canon DSLR lifecycle -quicker than many here think.

I have an economics background and having two separate lens lineups for essentially the same camera (one being mirrorless, the other DSLR) makes no economic sense.

Canon is finally coming out with the mirrorless body worthy of their professional grade R lenses. At some point (when they judge that there is enough market penetration for the cameras) they will cease production of the EF version of the R lenses.

Thom Hogan has a good article on his site discussing how the number of lens mounts by the major companies have to be reduced significantly in the very near future given the extremely tough market conditions in the industry. Some companies won't survive.

I expect that Canon will survive but they will have to make much tougher business decisions with regards to their product lineup than they used to when the market was much stronger. And that will unfortunately alienate some customers.
Reality is a bitch isn't it! I'm reading quite a few posts that even though the R5 is coming out lots of folks still seem to believe that there will be a 5DV. That Canon will simply produce both models sometime in 2020 so that those who still prefer a DSLR over mirrorless can have a 'choice'. From a marketing and economic viewpoint I just can't see that happening especially in a shrinking market. Canon isn't pouring resources and R&D into a new mount that is incompatible with their existing DSLR's just so consumers can move over to the R series when and if they feel like it. The transition in keeping the EF mount lenses compatible with any new system was imperative. And yes we're still talking years before the EF's will simply disappear but Canon will nudge this along as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
What I think would really be a wise move by Canon would be to offer one week free trial periods for the new R cameras from authorized dealers.

The top retailers already do this. And it’s 30 days with free shipping both ways. 60 days if you pay for the VIP plan. Much cheaper than CPS but appropriate only for when you really plan to keep it if you like it. I switched to Canon last year after testing the RP and sending it back, then again when I was more committed. They even pay shipping both ways unlike CPS.

I’m taking heat for this on another thread but wouldn’t be a Canon owner without it.

Upvote 0
I think you would know (if you bought a reference monitor).
Most folks (at least that I know) work and print in sRGB (8-bit) jpeg.
Even going to Adobe RGB (still 8-bit) needs an established workflow (including appropriately dialed in software, monitor, and a printshop that doesn't ignore your ICC profile and has the printers that can cover the full range of your ICC profile).
Either way, 8-bit sRGB/Adobe RGB gives you about 11 stop of dynamic range (through nonlinear compression), which means you have about 3-4 stops of DR to play in post.

Depending on the tools, Lightroom converts everything into 16 bit DNG/TIFF based format internally, as far as I know. PS can do even 32 IIRC, but you can also set it to 8-bit RGB. When you work with raw files from cameras, you normally work at 16 bits and compress to 8 bit sRGB only when exporting the final image.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Of course there is. https://clarkvision.com/articles/digital.sensor.performance.summary/#intro It's 'absolute' in the sense it doesn't depend on human perception, print size and viewing distance.

You might want to actually read that article. The entire article. Including the sections on Photographic Situations and Photographic Stops of DR.

So DxO's 'landscape DR' value doesn't tell you the actual DR of your physical prints.

Yeah...this topic is simply above your level of understanding. Kit can try if he wants, but I'm done. You're never going to be happy unless Canon matches some arbitrary number on a graph, whether you actually need or use that number or not.

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
Compare the 7 years lifetime of the two lenses I mentioned with the ages of the rest of the Canon white prime telephoto line up, which are still going strong: 200mm f/2L IS, 12 years; 300mm f/4L IS, 16 years; 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 10 years; 400mm f/5.6 L IS, 27 years; 400mm f/4L DO II IS, 5 years; 500mm f/4L II IS, 9 years; and 800mm f/5.6L IS, 12 years.

The older ones may we’ll be orphans. Presumably never to be replaced in EF. The 300 2.8 seems to be the readiest candidate for a replacement. Presumably in RF but possibly both.

Upvote 0
Can you imagine going on a shoot with the sensor dudes? Insert just hang me emoji

lol. but there's a big difference between a real photoshoot and this forum. This thread is mostly for fun, you can't shoot here (yet you can kill time!). In the field I don't even think about all this stuff, I'm using several known techniques and that's all. I don't calculate the dynamic range of the scene and don't print images to view them at a certain distance... Would probably need a Polaroid for that...

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
lol. but there's a big difference between a real photoshoot and this forum. This thread is mostly for fun, you can't shoot here (yet you can kill time!). In the field I don't even think about all this stuff, I'm using several known techniques and that's all. I don't calculate the dynamic range of the scene and don't print images to view them at a certain distance... Would probably need a Polaroid for that...
Ok, you're in.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The older ones may we’ll be orphans. Presumably never to be replaced in EF. The 300 2.8 seems to be the readiest candidate for a replacement. Presumably in RF but possibly both.
Any reasonable chatter that we'll see something longer than 240mm (and 200 in quality glass) in RF in the near future? I'm not talking patents...I wasn't sure that the 100-500 was credible or not, what is it's CR#?

Upvote 0
Well, I believe Canon Rumors Guy has said that a 5D V is also planned for this year so I would expect we will see this same sensor in the next 5D generation. Canon is not ready to abandon the 5D just yet.
Well we'll see. It's just hard to understand why Canon would be pouring money and R&D into the RF line of lenses and still introducing new camera bodies that can't utilize those lenses. The 1DxIII was excusable for Canon's sensor tech is not up to par currently with the requirements needed for that camera. Plus most shooting on a 1DxIII are using the long EF whites which will take a couple of years yet to be filled in with RF equivalents.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Well we'll see. It's just hard to understand why Canon would be pouring money and R&D into the RF line of lenses and still introducing new camera bodies that can't utilize those lenses. The 1DxIII was excusable for Canon's sensor tech is not up to par currently with the requirements needed for that camera. Plus most shooting on a 1DxIII are using the long EF whites which will take a couple of years yet to be filled in with RF equivalents.
YMMV, My experience has been seeing more 1DX users with PJ length glass and not long whites. Sure, they are there as well but not in the majority...how can $8-11k lenses be in the majority?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Well we'll see. It's just hard to understand why Canon would be pouring money and R&D into the RF line of lenses and still introducing new camera bodies that can't utilize those lenses...
Because people buy them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0