Canon EOS R5 Specifications

How much guys? $3,000-$3,500 USD?
I'm going $3,799 on this one: ~5DIV launch mark plus inflation. Outlier chance that they try to stick to the $3500 entry point for 5D from the past. The challenge is this is would be a considerable advancement up market from a 5D IV (in my opinion), so they could be moving the market position closer to the 1DXIII so I wouldn't even be surprised if the body came in the $4,000 territory.

If they make this big of a jump on that style of camera, all bets are off on what they're going to do - it all seems so out of character so I have a hard time relying on past behaviour to guesstimate future direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I still cannot believe the 8k video specs in this list - if this comes true, Canon engineers really created a wonder. Overall, if all of this turns into a real camera, this would be a really bold move of Canon in the FF world. Canon would be back again in the leading pack. I was seriously considering the R and RP, but never took the plunge, also with the 5D IV. The R5 could be really worth to have waited patiently a bit, now it depends on the price tag...:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
I'm going $3,799 on this one: ~5DIV launch mark plus inflation. Outlier chance that they try to stick to the $3500 entry point for 5D from the past. The challenge is this is would be a considerable advancement up market from a 5D IV (in my opinion), so they could be moving the market position closer to the 1DXIII so I wouldn't even be surprised if the body came in the $4,000 territory.

If they make this big of a jump on that style of camera, all bets are off on what they're going to do - it all seems so out of character so I have a hard time relying on past behaviour to guesstimate future direction.
3,500 US$ minimum, if this 8k video spec really turns out to be realistic, I guess four+ grands would be then much more likely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I see now that the confusion about whether it is RS or R5 has been resolved... in the way I thought it would be.

I read the "5" in R5 as signifying this as the (mirrorless) successor to the 5D4. The specs make complete sense with that in mind, and in fact they look to be on the good end of "fine." That also makes sense for a first introduction of a mirrorless successor to the 5D4 since Canon would certainly want to push the specifications delta at least a bit, and a 45MP sensor certainly does that.

(Naming it with the letter "S" and calling it the "RS" would have at least suggested a lineage connecting it to the 5Ds/5DsR models — but that wouldn't have made much sense at all with these specifications.)

There might be at least a few folks who find the 5DsR to be an excellent high resolution full frame system (as I do) who also decide that 45MP is enough if it comes with these other specifications. After all, one can easily make an excellent 30" x 40" print from a 45MP full frame file.
45 MP is no longer considered "high-res", though, so I'm guessing that any "R5s" camera will be that ~80 (??) MP sensor people were rumoring.

45 MP is the new "normal", especially since Canon continues to perfect their mRAW technology.

(Although, I'm still waiting for lossy compression and 12-bit options, though, for truly high-volume work, like action sports or weddings.Those are much better solutions than 1/2 megapixel mRAW with 14-bit lossless compression that simply doesn't save the same %% in file size as it compromises in resolution...)

Upvote 0
You've missed the other thread where everyone was questioning it as a CR1. This is a CR3 rumor.
I didn't miss anything, I saw the CR3. A rumor site declaring something "fact" doesn't make it so, of course.

There's simply no way a 5-series camera has 8K raw video. (it would have to be relatively un-cropped to be 8K on a 45 MP sensor, BTW) At most, I'd maybe believe 4K 30p RAW, in a cropped 1:1 pixel mode, MAYBE.

There's simply no way that 4K 120p is full-sensor. I'd believe 4K 30p full-sensor, like I said, or 60p/120p in a cropped mode.

The fishy part is that they're pairing such insane specs with a random footnote like "no touch bar", and an odd, vague detail about the battery. this just reeks of someone sitting down and writing a few random things they hope will happen.

Legit leaks usually come out one or two pieces at a time, and don't talk about minor ergonomic changes at the same time as they rattle off attention-grabbing specs.

But hey, if I'm wrong, then yay, Canon will have a total lock-down of the video market, and a lock-down of the stills market too if the dynamic range is anything close to a Nikon Z7 or Sony A7R3-4...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I didn't miss anything, I saw the CR3. A rumor site declaring something "fact" doesn't make it so, of course.

There's simply no way a 5-series camera has 8K raw video. (it would have to be relatively un-cropped to be 8K on a 45 MP sensor, BTW) At most, I'd maybe believe 4K 30p RAW, in a cropped 1:1 pixel mode, MAYBE.

There's simply no way that 4K 120p is full-sensor. I'd believe 4K 30p full-sensor, like I said, or 60p/120p in a cropped mode.

The fishy part is that they're pairing such insane specs with a random footnote like "no touch bar", and an odd, vague detail about the battery. this just reeks of someone sitting down and writing a few random things they hope will happen.

Legit leaks usually come out one or two pieces at a time, and don't talk about minor ergonomic changes at the same time as they rattle off attention-grabbing specs.

But hey, if I'm wrong, then yay, Canon will have a total lock-down of the video market, and a lock-down of the stills market too if the dynamic range is anything close to a Nikon Z7 or Sony A7R3-4...
No touch bar and the addition of the wheel is a big deal around here. Maybe not for you, but for others it is. ;)

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
guys guys.. this is ridiculous. You know how canon tries to keep the cinema line separate.. this is going totally against what they're been doing. You think they would do that now? MAYBE the 8k and 4k has a MASSIVE crop or something like no DPAF with video or no AF. idk. but this is dumb. Who would buy the 1dx3?? I think it'll definitely destroy that part of the market. absolutely do not believe this.. plus its a 45mp FF sensor. 12-20 fps?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HEIF files or not, nooooo way.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
guys guys.. this is ridiculous. You know how canon tries to keep the cinema line separate.. this is going totally against what they're been doing. You think they would do that now? MAYBE the 8k and 4k has a MASSIVE crop or something like no DPAF with video or no AF. idk. but this is dumb. Who would buy the 1dx3?? I think it'll definitely destroy that part of the market. absolutely do not believe this.. plus its a 45mp FF sensor. 12-20 fps?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. HEIF files or not, nooooo way.
Be the sun, not the rain. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0