Canon EOS Rebel 750D Spec List [CR1]

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
This is gonna be awesome i feel.

24mp would be awesome to directly compete with the nikon 3300/5300.
The touchscreen already rocks. 19 point AF sounds like a variant of the 70d.

Will be interesting to see how it stacks against the 70d, as ive become sold on that camera recently. Besides the plactic-ness, it's feel great and has pretty much everything you need.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Sheesh. First, It's a CR1. Don't put a lot of stock into this yet. Second, why does one automatically assume that a 24MP sensor is "better" than 20.2MP? Hmmm a 24MP crop or a 20MP FF....hmmmm... lemme think about this one... Or a 24MP Crop vs a 20MP DPAF crop.... hmmm again.... Let's not regress into the "More MP = Better" mentality. It MIGHT be in a given case, but it's never automatic. The 19pt AF system is likely the one from the 7D.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
PureClassA said:
Second, why does one automatically assume that a 24MP sensor is "better" than 20.2MP?

It's not an automatic assumption. A 24MP sensor indicates a new process, or a sourced sensor.

If the former, it is reasonable to hope (if not assume) that there have been improvements other than making pixels smaller.

If the latter, given existing partnership for compact cameras, it's not unreasonable to assume canon would purchase current Sony sensors, which are better on paper at some things than Canon's in-house line.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
moreorless said:
I think its certainly possible to have a camera of a similar kind of size to the current standard rebels and also offer improved handling and build though, maybe not to quite the degree of the 70D but still an improvement.

When it comes to mirrorless I think its notable that recently we've actually seen bodies starting to grow in size(T-X1, E-M1, GH3/4, NX1). With those cameras your really no longer talking about something significantly smaller/lighter than a rebel, what your talking about is a camera with superior handling/build, that's a market that an upgraded Rebel sized body could also aimed for.

I agree with you. The rebel (almost) has intentionally crippled buttons/controls and those could be easily improved. And small size/package is great. For me it depends what I'm shooting. For casual stuff I enjoy tossing the M + 22mm in my jacket/coat pocket. I still use a rebel with the new 24mm pancake as a "carry everywhere" camera. However, for real shooting, I just personally feel the larger cameras feel/work better in my hands. As they say, YMMV as I have rather large hands.

Valid points on the mirrorless as well. My buddy likes to remind me occasionally that his X-T1 is really no smaller then a rebel. I don't have the specs in front of me, but with so much metal construction I think it's even heavier (or it just feels that way to me). A relatively small advantage many mirrorless cameras have though, even if they are a similar size overall body, the lens mount area of the camera can be much thinner, therefore a lens won't stick out quite as far. Which if you stick to small primes, becomes a nice advantage. But I think most people agree, once you start to mount any size lens to most cameras, the camera size just becomes a smaller factor. The X-T1 with the standard kit lens is really not any more inconspicuous then a DSLR with standard zoom. However I will concede something like the X100S(T) with that nice 35mm equiv integrated pancake lens is much more stealthy.

The area that DSLR's obviously can't follow mirrorless is in very small bodies and that's doubtless why Canon released the M and indeed why it targeted it in Japan where these bodies seem to sell best.

Again though I think a lot of mirrorless growth in the west is based on larger setups and isn't so much about the size saving of losing the mirror as filing a gap that Canon and Nikon have left via targeting all of their smaller bodies at the lower end of the market.

Given that so much of everyone's focus seems to be on moving upwards in the market I don't think it would be at all surprising to see Canon look to plug this gap in their line up somewhat. Espeically when you consider its backed up by a raft of cheap lenses(the new 18-55mm kit, the 10-18mm, the 55-250mm, etc) that balance well on a Rebel sized body and have good optics.

Upvote 0
studio1972 said:
Am I right in thinking that there is no dual pixel AF, so it won't do touch screen focus pulls like the 70d. Shame

Actually the hybrid cmos af is pretty similar, just not as responsive as DPAF. I do focus pulling all the time on my T4i. Introduced with the Rebel t4i and improved with the SL1. This 3rd generation should be a nice compromise to a full on DPAF feature.

Upvote 0
kphoto99 said:
The big differentiator between 7DII and this new camera will be (beside the AF) the FPS and the size of the buffer. The current Rebel's buffer is speced at 3 raw frames, the reality it is just 2 raw frames. The 7DII buffer is 31 raw. A big difference.

Not quite. I have the T4i and I get 6 RAW shots in my buffer before the fps speed is affected. Still nowhere near the 7DII, but is not 2 RAW frames. Let's be fair.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
The Rebel line is really great. I use my t4i (650D) for all sorts of things including onsite prevideo or pre actual shoot spec/setup work. It's small enough to be convenient and light and it takes great pictures especially after I installed the Technicolor CP. I expect to use this t4i for many years.

It would be great if the new Rebel had clean HDMI out, could provide for external recording, and could support ML at the current 5DIII level. The higher ISO is great, but we will have to see what amount of noise we actually get. I don't use my current t4i very often above 800 given that I am outside so much. It has significant noise at higher ISOs in its current range.

^This. T4i is an awesome camera.

Upvote 0
k-fos said:
studio1972 said:
Am I right in thinking that there is no dual pixel AF, so it won't do touch screen focus pulls like the 70d. Shame

Actually the hybrid cmos af is pretty similar, just not as responsive as DPAF. I do focus pulling all the time on my T4i. Introduced with the Rebel t4i and improved with the SL1. This 3rd generation should be a nice compromise to a full on DPAF feature.

Yes, this is true for the t4i. I prefer a single and lock focus during video anyway. That way I can reframe the subject and not worry about what the camera might decide to focus on. That said, when the distance to the subject is changing significantly then the dual pixel feature would really help to smooth the transition. The other thing I do is a little preplanning on DOF with the f stop. That can usually take care of modest variations in distance. Then focus becomes a non issue.

Upvote 0
Luds34 said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
The target user of Rebel cameras would love Dual Pixel AF. I do not see why create a new APS-C sensor without Dual Pixel AF.

I would have preferred a Rebel with the same sensor of 70D.

+1

Rebel consumers are often the ones, "Why can't this fancy camera autofocus video?"

I would not complain about DPAF on a new rebel, however, an improved hybrid cmos af will do the trick for an entry level DSLR. The first version (on the t4i/t5i) is pretty good. just not as refined as the 70D/7DII.

Upvote 0
gsealy said:
k-fos said:
studio1972 said:

Yes, this is true for the t4i. I prefer a single and lock focus during video anyway. That way I can reframe the subject and not worry about what the camera might decide to focus on. That said, when the distance to the subject is changing significantly then the dual pixel feature would really help to smooth the transition. The other thing I do is a little preplanning on DOF with the f stop. That can usually take care of modest variations in distance. Then focus becomes a non issue.

Regardless of the video/liveview AF technology, I find myself using manual focus a lot with video. A bigger screen would make this easier.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
PureClassA said:
Sheesh. First, It's a CR1. Don't put a lot of stock into this yet. Second, why does one automatically assume that a 24MP sensor is "better" than 20.2MP? Hmmm a 24MP crop or a 20MP FF....hmmmm... lemme think about this one... Or a 24MP Crop vs a 20MP DPAF crop.... hmmm again.... Let's not regress into the "More MP = Better" mentality. It MIGHT be in a given case, but it's never automatic. The 19pt AF system is likely the one from the 7D.

+1
I guess people are forgetting the differences between the 1DX and the 5DIII

Upvote 0
If Canon is releasing an outsourced sensor in its Rebel line, I suspect that it would be due to low yields on the Dual Pixel sensors.

The Rebel line is due for an upgrade, and the Rebels sell at significantly higher numbers than XXD and XD cameras. If they can source a low cost sensor from another manufacturer it does make sense for them to do that. If they were to take a1.5X 24MP sensor and crop it to the Canon 1.6X image circle the effective MP would be similar to what we get in the 70D and 7Dii. Which would avoid a megapixal war in its own lineup.

It is not unprecedented for Canon to release a new sensor in the Rebel line first either, so it could be a new sensor so that they can say "look @ us we have 24 MP too.

Upvote 0
chungdha said:
Think more 750D and 75D or 80D. Think 760D seem bit odd otherwise compete with own 70d too much when you look at the specs be like 70D but cheaper which the 750D mostly is. But 760D be 70D body with upgrade be quite an odd move.

This rumor could be a "leak test". I don't know whether Canon does such things but I know at least Apple is doing the following to find leaks inside the company: They reveal several false specs to some suspects of leaking, differing in subtle details from suspect to suspect so they can detect who has leaked the information from the details that were leaked. For instance when they seed the information that an upcoming product has feature A, B and C to suspect number one and to suspect number two that the upcoming product has feature A, C and D. When now a rumor appears on the net that an upcoming product with feature A, C and D is due you got your leak. I don't know whether Canon is doing such things as I already said.

Upvote 0
k-fos said:
kphoto99 said:
The big differentiator between 7DII and this new camera will be (beside the AF) the FPS and the size of the buffer. The current Rebel's buffer is speced at 3 raw frames, the reality it is just 2 raw frames. The 7DII buffer is 31 raw. A big difference.

Not quite. I have the T4i and I get 6 RAW shots in my buffer before the fps speed is affected. Still nowhere near the 7DII, but is not 2 RAW frames. Let's be fair.

Sorry, I meant RAW+JPEG, the spec is 3, but mine T4i only does 2 before pausing (does not matter if it is a class 10 or U 1 card). If yours does more let me know.

Upvote 0