Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed for 2017 [CR3]

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
BTW. probably someone already did mention this, or will in the future. But how about that weight and size of the SL2 - it's really important factor for users!

Let's just think about it while looking at this setup:
aYEqb9c.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
LukasS said:
BTW. probably someone already did mention this, or will in the future. But how about that weight and size of the SL2 - it's really important factor for users!

aYEqb9c.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Please elaborate just what you are trying to convey with that image. Unless you are calibrating your afma, I'm not sure that trio of body/lens/pod is a real world analogy for making a point. Not picking fights here just trying to understand.

fwiw, I think they could go a little bigger with the new body, not a lot but still keep it smaller than the T line and give it better ergonomics with dial layout. However, there were rumors that it will be even smaller still.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed in 2017 [CR3]

ashmadux said:
Anyways, as to what your probably trying to say: '..but it sells more..', and 'You're delusional'

Sorry, I guess you were too busy prepping your joke to realize no one was comparing sales :p . So your point is exactly where my "wife" is- non-existent :) :p ::) 8)

That said, 7d2 was one of the most highly anticipated, depressing letdowns in recent memory - FOR ACTUAL USERS. I stand by what I said. And they almost repeated with the 5d4 (luv it though). We love their cameras(M1 FTW), but man, the GLARING OMISSIONS from their bodies have seriously racked up over the years. Canon bodies are almost the equivalent of apple laptops- you're only going to get 'enough', and that's that. AND you will pay out of the ass for it.

Apparently, you don't understand the point of referencing sales figures. Every 7DII that was sold means someone made the decision to buy a camera they believed would best suit their needs. When you make an assertion that the D500 is vastly superior, the fact that more people are choosing to buy the 7DII makes that assertion ridiculous.

As for the 7DII being a 'depressing letdown', if you're speaking for yourself, too bad you were depressed by it. Have you considered Prozac? But, in fact, you seem to be speaking generally, for 'everyone'. In that case, that pushes your statements beyond ridiculous and into asinine.

Incidentally, my five-year-old Apple laptop is better than my brand-new, work provided the Lenovo PC – both in terms of computing performance and in terms of reliability. I'm not sure what Apple 'glaringly omitted' from my laptop, but we can leave that ridiculous assertion of yours for another day.

ashmadux said:
It's a terrible new legacy to build, after the at-the-time 7d/5d2/5d3 were unquestionable goliaths in their categories.

The 7D was an 'unquestionable Goliath'?? You might want to have your metacognition checked. How can you say that about a camera that, according to you, had unusable autofocus and terrible noise at base ISO?

ashmadux said:
Lord help you if you receive a 7d with wacky AF...once my AF went, the camera was completely unusable fort the last year i had it. The most frustratingly under performing camera i have ever come across.

ashmadux said:
The 7d creates mush-tastic images. Also, the 7d's atrocious iso 100 noise is nothing like ive seen on any other canon camera.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Incidentally, my five-year-old Apple laptop is better than my brand-new, work provided the Lenovo PC – both in terms of computing performance and in terms of reliability. I'm not sure what Apple 'glaringly omitted' from my laptop, but we can leave that ridiculous assertion of yours for another day.

I would love to know what CPUs are in each laptop, because it is a ridiculous assertion that a five-year-old CPU is better than a remotely comparable new one.

Our work laptops are regularly brought to their knees by McAfee, which is apples to oranges with your personal laptop.

Upvote 0

The 7d2 was DOA...

Dude, have you actually USED the camera we're referencing?

You know, like in the ACTUAL field?

I could care less what Nikon does, like most people on this forum. Yet the 7D2 hits all the marks at $1,400

for people who actually make a living with their gear without spending $5,000+ for a 1DX.

For APS-C Canon users, that's a really good deal.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013

LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:

I would love to know what CPUs are in each laptop, because it is a ridiculous assertion that a five-year-old CPU is better than a remotely comparable new one.

Our work laptops are regularly brought to their knees by McAfee, which is apples to oranges with your personal laptop.

Not sure about 5 years, but a i7 haswell isn't that much slower than the newer skylake processors. if you trick out a skylake based laptop (ie: i have NVMe's and 2 SSD hard drives and a 980 graphics processor and a desktop 6700K in my laptop) then yes, but for normal laptops? probably not much different in a generation of laptops.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

rrcphoto said:
LonelyBoy said:

Not sure about 5 years, but a i7 haswell isn't that much slower than the newer skylake processors. if you trick out a skylake based laptop (ie: i have NVMe's and 2 SSD hard drives and a 980 graphics processor and a desktop 6700K in my laptop) then yes, but for normal laptops? probably not much different in a generation of laptops.

Yep, it's not the 90s anymore. Advances in CPU technology during the last five years have gone first and foremost towards power efficiency, especially when it comes to laptop processors.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Sharlin said:
rrcphoto said:
LonelyBoy said:

Yep, it's not the 90s anymore. Advances in CPU technology during the last five years have gone first and foremost towards power efficiency, especially when it comes to laptop processors.

Core i5 2.53 GHz vs. Core i7 2.6 GHz, but to clarify I wasn't referring to performance in a Geekbench-type test, but rather operational performance – opening and scrolling through a 150 MB PowerPoint file, for example. I can count on my Win PC to crash occasionally, to have Office365 apps hang and need a process force quit occasionally or system restart. The only time I ever need to reboot my Mac is when a software update requires it, and the only apps that crash or hang are niche, coded-in-my-basement things like FoCal.

As for power, yeah - the Lenovo will last quite a bit longer on battery than my 17" MB Pro (but not as long as my previous MB Air).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
LukasS said:
benkam said:
Haha. Now stick it with an 800mm.
And put it next to a 1DX with a 40mm pancake, please.
Thanks. ;)

At least one of you gets it :).

Maybe the will announce grip for it this time?

Oh I get it, it's just it's all in the delivery and yours was sending mixed signals. I mean, some folks are serious, dead serious about tiny bodies on great whites. M series with 800's, the web is full of them. It was that tabletop pod that threw me I guess. THAT is what I would say is the truly humorous part of all of it.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Core i5 2.53 GHz vs. Core i7 2.6 GHz, but to clarify I wasn't referring to performance in a Geekbench-type test, but rather operational performance – opening and scrolling through a 150 MB PowerPoint file, for example. I can count on my Win PC to crash occasionally, to have Office365 apps hang and need a process force quit occasionally or system restart. The only time I ever need to reboot my Mac is when a software update requires it, and the only apps that crash or hang are niche, coded-in-my-basement things like FoCal.

As for power, yeah - the Lenovo will last quite a bit longer on battery than my 17" MB Pro (but not as long as my previous MB Air).

You didn't list actual models there, but I'd look at what's wrong with your Windows laptop. It should be able to do much more than that smoothly, and mine reboots for security updates, essentially.

And it's hardly as if Apple products never break; quite the opposite in my experience. But I'll let this wonderful rabbit hole go, because it's clearly about your subjective preference.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
benkam said:
LukasS said:

aYEqb9c.jpg

;) ;) ;)

Haha. Now stick it with an 800mm.
And put it next to a 1DX with a 40mm pancake, please.
Thanks. ;)

My primary use for the 1100D is with a Supertelephoto lens (the venerable, not terribly heavy but still large 400f5.6).
My favorite lens to use on a gripped 5D2 (basically the same size and weight as 1D) was the 40mm Pancake.

It's ironic that in practice I find the best lens/body combinations are opposite of what most people "think" would work best.

When I have a large lens strapped to my body I want the camera body to fit within the same width and height as the lens, carrying the whole camera by my side while hiking, a large body is always digging into my side.
The smaller body (the 1100D is only slightly larger than a SL1) is much more comfortable, not to mention being about a pound lighter.
If the body were small enough I could even put the whole thing in a single lens sized pouch.

I took the Gripped 5D2 through Disneyland a few years ago, it went on all the rides (including Splash Mountain) stowed between my feet, walking around it only took a few seconds to whip it out of my backpack.
Of course Disneyland is not the most extreme theme park, I probably wouldn't have taken it anywhere with more "serious" rollercoasters, but the principle proves well enough, putting a pancake lens on one of the largest camera bodies available does indeed make it vastly more portable.
Similar to my reasoning with a small body on a large lens, when you have a body that's tall and wide, but relatively flat, then using a flat lens complements that shape, it basically creates a "turtle" shaped profile that is very convenient to handle.
Oppositely, putting a "normal" lens on that body gives you something with effectively the same footprint as a toaster oven.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

LonelyBoy said:
You didn't list actual models there, but I'd look at what's wrong with your Windows laptop. It should be able to do much more than that smoothly, and mine reboots for security updates, essentially.

And it's hardly as if Apple products never break; quite the opposite in my experience. But I'll let this wonderful rabbit hole go, because it's clearly about your subjective preference.

What's wrong with my Windows laptop is Windows. ;) :eek: 8)

BTW, the AV software isn't McAfee.

Seriously, the differences are really pretty minor, but I've had expected 5 years to be pretty noticeable. I can certainly tell that my wife's MacBook and my old MacBook Pro are slower, but the former still gets the job done for her general tasks and the latter is being used by my kids...and they're from 2008 and 2006, respectively! I wonder how many 9-11 year old Windows laptops are still going strong?

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013

neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:

What's wrong with my Windows laptop is Windows. ;) :eek: 8)

BTW, the AV software isn't McAfee.

Seriously, the differences are really pretty minor, but I've had expected 5 years to be pretty noticeable. I can certainly tell that my wife's MacBook and my old MacBook Pro are slower, but the former still gets the job done for her general tasks and the latter is being used by my kids...and they're from 2008 and 2006, respectively! I wonder how many 9-11 year old Windows laptops are still going strong?

My laptop from 2010 is still running fine, but I also only run Linux on that machine so I'm not sure if that's a counter-point or supportive of your argument (that I haven't really bothered to read the context of).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

9VIII said:
My laptop from 2010 is still running fine, but I also only run Linux on that machine so I'm not sure if that's a counter-point or supportive of your argument (that I haven't really bothered to read the context of).

My desktop has a Core i7 from 2009. It runs everything fine. Photoshop, LR, games, whatever you throw at it. Current equivalent offerings are at at most twice as fast. Been a while since CPU speeds doubled every eighteen months.

Upvote 0

Fleetie

Watching for pigs on the wing
Nov 22, 2010
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com

Sharlin said:
9VIII said:

My desktop has a Core i7 from 2009. It runs everything fine. Photoshop, LR, games, whatever you throw at it. Current equivalent offerings are at at most twice as fast. Been a while since CPU speeds doubled every eighteen months.
CPU speed has stagnated almost completely. Clock speeds are totally static. You get more cores, but only if you're prepared to pay INSANE prices, especially with Xeons. Power consumption is going down a bit. CPU speed for a given power consumption is going up, very slowly.

But for actual CPU speed per core... Basically, it is not increasing. It has stopped.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
bf said:
I want to see how SL2 will look next to M5! EVF vs. OVF,EF-M mount vs. EF-S.

I guess the SL2 will pretty much look like the SL1. So, ... actually there's not too much difference in terms of size when compared to the M5, when the EF/EF-M adapter is attached (in my case I never detach it because I do only have FF lenses): http://j.mp/2ldMb4s

One big advantage of the OVF will be the much much lower energy consumption. You can effectively get a lot more shots out of your rebel with one battery.

I come from the EOS 6D (sold it to buy the M5) and I do not miss its OVF. One big reason being the live exposure preview which really helps getting exactly what I want. I do not have any problems with the downside of an EVF that it consumes a lot more energy, as I always carry a (Canon) spare battery with me, so I do not have any worries.

And with mirrorless you never have to worry about front- or backfocus. I know there are things like AFMA, but... will it be featured in a rebel SL2? I'm not so sure.

There are tons of advantages and disadvantages. In fact, if the SL2 was available at the time I bought my M5, I'd have had a hard decision which one to buy, as long as the DSLR offers a flippy screen and at least the same low iso DR as the 80D/M5.

Once, I had the rebel SL1 in my hands. It felt really great. Nice finish. Nice ergonomics. I just missed the flippy screen and I didn't want to buy the same old 18MP sensor I already had many years ago with my EOS 600D.

Maybe the SL2 will get a hybrid VF? Who knows.

Upvote 0