Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed for 2017 [CR3]

arcer said:
benkam said:
Woody said:
benkam said:
It would be interesting to find out if the SL2 keeps to its price range and gets 750D/T6i internals (as the SL1 currently has 700D/T5i) or if it moves up to the 800D/T7i price range with DPAF and 45pt AF. I'm guessing the former but we'll see.

If the SL2 does not get 77D/80D sensor with DPAF, it's a no-go for me. Don't need 45 AF pts.

Note the SL1 was announced on 21-Mar, together with the 700D/T5i. The 750D/T6i was only released in 2015, 2 years later. So, there is a good chance the SL2 will share the same internals as the 800D.

You could be right, Canon could go that way as they trickle down DPAF in their new releases. But, that would also mean quite the jump in price from currently being a budget camera as it'll then likely be priced not much less than the 800D.

Sorry, I don't understand your argument.
The SL1/100D and T5i/700D were both released together and have almost the same features except size and mass, fps, and the articulating screen. Their released price were $650 and $750 respectively. So I don't understand why you stated that the SL2 needs to have T6i/750D internals to stay competitive to the T7i/800D.
I think you are confusing the SL series with the bottom of the ladder tier, T6/1300D.

Even if the SL2 was released with T7i/800D internals or even the 77D internals, its price will still stay below or similar respectively.

I'm clear I also think the SL2 would be priced below the 800D. Of course. If it's cost-effective for Canon to produce an SL2 with 800D internals, while being able to keep the price noticeably below, then great! But I've also read here that the 750D and 760D won't be discontinued just yet but will be kept to have less expensive models in the range. So Canon has a choice of which path to take with the SL2.

Ultimately, I'm an SL1 user who doesn't plan on getting an SL2 so I don't feel strongly either way really.

If the SL2's price with the 800D is close, I'd say if you're considering a purchase in this price range, IMO I'd rather get the only slightly bigger 800D for the articulating screen and the slightly greater number of buttons they can't fit on the smaller SL series. Or maybe even save a little more to spring for the 77D if you want to stick in this DSLR size range. As with many things, YMMV.

Also, anybody attracted to the SL2 for its size should also consider the mirrorless option. I will when I feel its time to replace my 100D/SL1. It would be interesting where the M5's price would fall by the SL2's release, whenever that is or later, such as say the end of this year.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
This is a camera that would certainly interest me. Whilst I like the size and concept of the M3, having had it for the best part of a year now I'm beginning to wonder why I don't just use the G1X when I want small and compact. For me the M3 ( and therefore the 5 and 6 also) comes into its own when matched with the EF lenses, but then I'm left thinking "why not just put them on the 5D anyway' ?

I do prefer the instantaneousness ( is that a real word ?) of the reflex, and personally I'd like Canon to not make this SL2 an 'entry level' camera. They have the 1300D for that. Make it a dslr that is a pleasure to own and shoot, give it a decent, bright pentaprism. Include features such as AFMA and the rest. Pitch it in price somewhere between the M5 and M6. I'd be happy.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Re: Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Confirmed in 2017 [CR3]

neuroanatomist said:
ashmadux said:
It WAS a superb camera...until it launched. The 7d2 was DOA, and the d500 has eaten its lunch, breakfast, dinner, and stole it's wife.

Yeah, except that the 7DII is still outselling the D500 on Amazon, both in the US and in Germany. But hey, don't let reality get in the way of your delusions… ::)

Hope your indigestion improves, and maybe your wife is happier now. ;)

Neuro, while I enjoy your hubris filled dissertations, you're not exactly a comedian. PLEASE Don't quit your day job, tee hee hee ;)

Anyways, as to what your probably trying to say: '..but it sells more..', and 'You're delusional'

Sorry, I guess you were too busy prepping your joke to realize no one was comparing sales :p . So your point is exactly where my "wife" is- non-existent :) :p ::) 8)

That said, 7d2 was one of the most highly anticipated, depressing letdowns in recent memory - FOR ACTUAL USERS. I stand by what I said. And they almost repeated with the 5d4 (luv it though). We love their cameras(M1 FTW), but man, the GLARING OMISSIONS from their bodies have seriously racked up over the years. Canon bodies are almost the equivalent of apple laptops- you're only going to get 'enough', and that's that. AND you will pay out of the ass for it. It's a terrible new legacy to build, after the at-the-time 7d/5d2/5d3 were unquestionable goliaths in their categories.

Upvote 0
benkam said:
Or maybe even save a little more to spring for the 77D if you want to stick in this DSLR size range. As with many things, YMMV.

Also, anybody attracted to the SL2 for its size should also consider the mirrorless option. I will when I feel its time to replace my 100D/SL1. It would be interesting where the M5's price would fall by the SL2's release, whenever that is or later, such as say the end of this year.

I might go for the 77D (I had already written off the possibility of the SL2 and started talking myself into the 77D) for the top display and flippy screen. It is, in the end, not that much bigger than the SL1, and a lot more useable.

Mirrorless is not going to happen; I want something to give my wife to shoot my races, and I'm not going to trust mirrorless for that for some time yet.

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
This is a camera that would certainly interest me. Whilst I like the size and concept of the M3, having had it for the best part of a year now I'm beginning to wonder why I don't just use the G1X when I want small and compact. For me the M3 ( and therefore the 5 and 6 also) comes into its own when matched with the EF lenses, but then I'm left thinking "why not just put them on the 5D anyway' ?

That's the crux of the problem with the M platform for me: I might as well weld the 22/2 on it if I got one. As soon as you use one of the zooms, or the EOS-M adapter, you can't slip it in (my) pocket. It "almost" fits, but that's not good enough, and the SL1 + pancake "almost" fit just as well. If it's not going to quite fit, I'd rather have the OVF and PDAF (and maybe a bit less "almost" and gain the flippy screen and top display, as posted above).

Upvote 0
Bonus info-nugget:

The 100D/SL1, for some time, EXCLUSIVELY had THE best Canon APS-C sensor on the market, better than the 700D, which was announced on the same day, with the older sensor, better than the 60D sensor, which itself was better than the 7D sensor. This SL1 sensor is the 18mp Hybrid AF II, which wasn't put into anything else until the M2, with its much better AF than the EOS M; the 100D/SL1 already had this Hybrid AF II sensor, and those silly ISO testing sites rated it above all the other 18mp sensors... (I'm not sure which sensor eventually went into the EOS M10)

So I don't know where the "bad ISO" performance comment came from (if relative to other Canon APS-C cameras) but the comment about the third party grips, yeah, the SL1/100D is really cool with one of those!

I hate that they took away the 3x video crop mode right before these cameras rocked up, and I hate that, having resurfaced for the M2 and M3, it's been pulled AGAIN from the M5 (RUINED the M5 for me, absolutely gutted about this omission)... Now I fear the SL2 will not have this feature... and I'm to carry on with my M2 for video reach, with no sensor upgrade, perhaps everrr (unless I give the M3 and all its shortcomings a go)

Please come back, >3x video crop mode :(

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
jolyonralph said:
I know the rumors say the 7D III isn't coming out this year, but I really can't see the 7D II lasting another year.

More than rumors -- past track record applies as well. The 7D been a steady 5 year lifecycle brand for its two iterations. There are only so many takers for a ~ $1500 flagship APS-C rig. Canon will not rush out a 7D3 unless the D500 starts gobbling up share, and I've seen no data to suggest that is happening.

- A

I've no reason to doubt the 7D2 will be current for a while yet, but you can't talk about 5 year cycles when there's only one data point (the time between the mark I and the mark II) - you can't reasonably extrapolate from so little data. Nitpicking maybe, but still.

Upvote 0

ashmadux said:
No touch screen, Horrible sensor (dude, there's nothing awesome about it at all), no big difference from the 7d1, and, um, NO ONE is talking about how much they want a 7d2. Even the M cameras have more chutzpah then the 7d2.

I've seen hundreds of truly excellent bird photographs taken with the original 7D, let alone the mark II. What's your definition of horrible?

ashmadux said:
Canon bodies are more known now for what they leave out then what they put in. And that,s pretty sad because they make good cameras.

Isn't this self-contradictory? Either the cameras are good, or they leave all the good stuff out.

Upvote 0

Mt Spokane Photography

Canon Rumors Premium
Mar 25, 2011
vau said:
Call me a loser, or a cheap bastard, but I'm actually enjoying my SL1 very much and can't wait to have the SL2.

My reasons:

- Nice and compact, no doubt about this
- It was cheap, I'm not afraid to use it anytime. Second hand price is near that, there are plenty, so it's almost disposable.
- The second hand market for canon mount lenses is huge, I got my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for about 200 bucks.
- If my pictures suck, that's usually not because my camera is limiting me. That's a nice excuse, but it's just not true.

The SL1 does perfectly well for almost everything. People made exceptional bird photos with motor drives as well. I find it lame that the benchmark for a good camera is not usability, but the capability to machinegun the sht out of the landscape with 24mpx jpgs.

But, will you pay $700 for a new one? The SL-1 price has dropped over the years, but a replacement is going to start at a much higher price. That is the way it works, if buying a camera, a car, or even a smart phone. The SL-1 is one of the few true bargains right now when you can find one.

Upvote 0

tapanit

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 17, 2012

ashmadux said:
7d2 was one of the most highly anticipated, depressing letdowns in recent memory - FOR ACTUAL USERS.
As an actual user who upgraded 7D to 7D2, I don't agree with this. I didn't find the 7D2 a letdown at all, let alone depressing in any way, even though it obviously could have been better (but that's always the case and doesn't surprise me, I don't anticipate miracles).

Upvote 0
For me this is the best news that I have ever read on Canon rumours.

I have too many wonderful lenses to change systems (First Canon was an EOS 1000 FN), I am too old to use an EVF, which I find detestable (M5 out), and I am too lazy to carry around a brick (80D out).

I was getting ready to splash on a 77d to replace my tired SL1, but this changes everything! Within reason, price will not be an issue.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Sporgon said:

I do prefer the instantaneousness ( is that a real word ?) of the reflex, and personally I'd like Canon to not make this SL2 an 'entry level' camera. They have the 1300D for that. Make it a dslr that is a pleasure to own and shoot, give it a decent, bright pentaprism. Include features such as AFMA and the rest. Pitch it in price somewhere between the M5 and M6. I'd be happy.

I would take 5DS capabilities in an SL body if I could.
Take the best that Canon can do and shove it into the smallest possible body.

And then make a 7Dx that takes 1D batteries and lets users enjoy 1D level features without paying $5K.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
But, will you pay $700 for a new one?

I would, for example, if the specs justify it - but the real question is how many people within the Canon target for this camera would.

If it has sold well (in some markets, maybe not everywhere) because its price and size, Canon would be crazy to move it to an higher price segment - unless it is confident enough that's exactly what is needed to sell better.

But the most important question is: will be it available in white still? :D

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014

Woody said:
Woohoo!!!
Exactly what I have been waiting for!
I've been on a lookout for this news for a looong time :). My 100D was for last 1,5 year most used camera, and for some time i'm using it more and more for vlogging (10-18mm EF-S and RODE mic) - it's great combo.

I would love to see 1080@60fps, DPAF and increased number of AF points. Bought it for around 300USD with additional battery (3rdp) and photography book (gave it away:p).

Upvote 0

Sharlin

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
benkam said:
Woody said:
Its price won't be cheap compared to mirrorless counterparts because DSLRs have many more components.

Not in the Canon world currently. The M5, which I'd argue is the mirrorless 77D not the ML 80D, is similar to or even a little bit more expensive than the 77D.

Yeah, it's not about the number of components, it's simple economies of scale. Most of the basic building blocks of an (EF-S) DSLR cannot be shrunk even in principle (mount, mirror box, mirror, sensor, viewfinder) so they can just use their standard issue off-the-shelf parts for those. Not much extra engineering required.

Upvote 0