Canon releases firmware updates for 5 telephoto RF lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Wouldn't want the budget camera and the budget primes to work well together, that would just make too much sense. (So frustrating.)
The R7 does work very well with the the RF 100-400mm at f/8 and the RF 800mm f/11. Just because the R7 would work even better with f/2.8 versions of those lenses doesn‘t mean it works badly with those narrower lenses. There are 100s of images here and on Fredmiranda showing how good they are in practice. I’m afraid you have been in all of your posts “making the perfect the enemy of the good”.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The difference is that the Canon lens is f8 from ~450mm, and drops to f9 just after 600mm. It's pretty much a full stop slower than the Nikon and Sony offerings, or even the Sigma versions. (Hopefully Sigma will release a new version of their 150-600 that uses their new magnetic linear motors.)

I just don't understand Canon's approach to mirrorless at this point. It feels very "monkey's paw" a lot of the time. "We'll make a 200-800 that we know a LOT of people will really want. But (monkey's paw...) we'll handicap it by making it much slower than the competition, make sure the IQ is not great beyond 600mm, and we'll not make it any lighter than the competition's faster glass. We'll also make it an extending zoom because we already know (70-200...) that a lot of people really don't like that."
If I had to make a choice among, say, the Sony A1 + 200-600mm, the Nikon Z8 + 160-600mm and Canon R5 + 200-800mm, I would choose the, wait for it, the Canon R5 + RF 100-500mm. All lenses are a compromise of aperture, focal length, mfd, zoom, weight, size and price etc. My ideal lens would be a 10-1600mm, f/2.8 constant aperture, macro to infinity, weighing less than a kg and small enough for hand luggage. Until @HarryFilm finally delivers one, I will stick with the RF 100-500mm as my main telephoto for Nature since it is much lighter than the other 3 lenses and I can hold it and hike for much longer, focus much closer and its blisteringly fast AF is great for BIF. I would, and do, use the longer heavier lens in more restricted cases.

You are neglecting in all your discussions that we choose the compromise that most suits our individual uses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The ABC bias is strong with this one.
It's very hard to support a company that does things like make a "1200mm" lens by starting with a $13k 600mm lens from a different mount, adds a permant 2x TC to it, bolts on a flange adapter, and then has the gall to charge $20k for it.

We'll see what the R1 brings, and what Canon eventually does about their currently very poor big white lens situation. Nikon is kicking the cr@p out of Canon in that area right now which is pretty weird to see.

Upvote 0
If I had to make a choice among, say, the Sony A1 + 200-600mm, the Nikon Z8 + 160-600mm and Canon R5 + 200-800mm, I would choose the, wait for it, the Canon R5 + RF 100-500mm. All lenses are a compromise of aperture, focal length, mfd, zoom, weight, size and price etc. My ideal lens would be a 10-1600mm, f/2.8 constant aperture, macro to infinity, weighing less than a kg and small enough for hand luggage. Until @HarryFilm finally delivers one, I will stick with the RF 100-500mm as my main telephoto for Nature since it is much lighter than the other 3 lenses and I can hold it and hike for much longer, focus much closer and its blisteringly fast AF is great for BIF. I would, and do, use the longer heavier lens in more restricted cases.

You are neglecting in all your discussions that we choose the compromise that most suits our individual uses.
Given the same scenario, I would take either the Sony A7RV + Sigma 500/5.6 (which ridiculously weighs less the Canon 100-500 does, in spite of being nearly a full stop faster), or the Z8 + 600/6.3.

Upvote 0
The 100-500 is overrated, IMO. I purchased the lens the day it came out and have enjoyed using it on the R5—still do—but it's way too slow for practical uses at dusk for wildlife. Sure, it's sharp, I'll give it that, and you can add in all the specs like weight and such. Fair. But the fact that I have this wonky lens that won't collapse anytime I use the 1.4TC with it, as well as the fact that it's sloooooow when the critters are out, means it doesn't come along with me during the important sessions. It's a versatile lens for many non-critical moments, though, and I do enjoy walking around looking for mammals with it. But I don't consider it a serious wildlife lens. Just my two cents. I will pick up that much faster prime every time.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Given the same scenario, I would take either the Sony A7RV + Sigma 500/5.6 (which ridiculously weighs less the Canon 100-500 does, in spite of being nearly a full stop faster), or the Z8 + 600/6.3.
You needs differ from mine. I used to shoot the Nikon D850 and D500 with the Nikon 500/5.6, which is a very sharp and light prime. But, I found the RF 100-500mm just about as sharp and so much more versatile because of its zoom and close focussing I will never go back to a 500/5.6 or similar prime. However, other peoples needs differ and they would prefer a prime. Now tell me, do you actually go out shooting with a 500mm prime or a 100-500 or 200-600 etc zoom? Or, is it all hypothetical? (By the way, the A7R5 has such dreadful rolling shutter - ~100ms compared with ~16ms for the R5, it would be of no use to me).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 100-500 is overrated, IMO. I purchased the lens the day it came out and have enjoyed using it on the R5—still do—but it's way too slow for practical uses at dusk for wildlife. Sure, it's sharp, I'll give it that, and you can add in all the specs like weight and such. Fair. But the fact that I have this wonky lens that won't collapse anytime I use the 1.4TC with it, as well as the fact that it's sloooooow when the critters are out, means it doesn't come along with me during the important sessions. It's a versatile lens for many non-critical moments, though, and I do enjoy walking around looking for mammals with it. But I don't consider it a serious wildlife lens. Just my two cents. I will pick up that much faster prime every time.
Fair enough that you need a fast prime for dawn and dusk. But, it is as illogical to say that the RF 100-500mm is "overrated" because it doesn't fulfil all your particular needs as it would be for me to say the RF 400/2.8 or the 600/4 are "overrated" because they are too heavy for me to hike with and don't focus close enough for my purposes.

Upvote 0
Fair enough that you need a fast prime for dawn and dusk. But, it is as illogical to say that the RF 100-500mm is "overrated" because it doesn't fulfil all your particular needs as it would be for me to say the RF 400/2.8 or the 600/4 are "overrated" because they are too heavy for me to hike with and don't focus close enough for my purposes.
Fair. I’m using the term overrated here because it’s really one of the only lenses people defending Canon for the wildlife genre point to, along with the even slower plastic fantastic f/11s. The 100-500 is usually the first lens to come up in defense, and then people pile on saying how wonderful it is. My argument is that sure, it’s sharp, and light. But it’s also not a serious wildlife lens as you can’t get the critters at their peak times and you essentially have to walk around with a wonky setup of using an extended lens with the TC. Can it yield great photos under the right circumstances? Absolutely. I’m glad it exists, and I use it regularly when walking around casually. But no way is this lens a substitute for serious wildlife work, and it’s often mentioned in that capacity.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Fair. I’m using the term overrated here because it’s really one of the only lenses people defending Canon for the wildlife genre point to, along with the even slower plastic fantastic f/11s. The 100-500 is usually the first lens to come up in defense, and then people pile on saying how wonderful it is. My argument is that sure, it’s sharp, and light. But it’s also not a serious wildlife lens as you can’t get the critters at their peak times and you essentially have to walk around with a wonky setup of using an extended lens with the TC. Can it yield great photos under the right circumstances? Absolutely. I’m glad it exists, and I use it regularly when walking around casually. But no way is this lens a substitute for serious wildlife work, and it’s often mentioned in that capacity.
What do you define as "serious" wildlife work? I think most would agree that the guys shooting the David Attenborough Blue Planet, Planet Earth and Mammals series are doing serious work. They use gyro-stabilised cameras mounted on helicopters, digital cine cameras, high-speed cameras etc and spend months trying to get shots, up in the air, under water etc. They use ARRI Alexa, RED cameras (such as RED Weapon, RED Dragon), and Sony Venice, and Super 35mm film cameras, such as the ARRI ALEXA 65 or ARRI 535. Their default lens is the Canon CINE-SERVO 50-1000mm T5.0-8.9 (costing only £68,000). Unfortunately, with those T-stops that are close to those of the RF 200-800, it wouldn't be good enough for you and all those who require wider lenses and those guys can't possibly be serious.

Upvote 0
What do you define as "serious" wildlife work? I think most would agree that the guys shooting the David Attenborough Blue Planet, Planet Earth and Mammals series are doing serious work. They use gyro-stabilised cameras mounted on helicopters, digital cine cameras, high-speed cameras etc and spend months trying to get shots, up in the air, under water etc. They use ARRI Alexa, RED cameras (such as RED Weapon, RED Dragon), and Sony Venice, and Super 35mm film cameras, such as the ARRI ALEXA 65 or ARRI 535. Their default lens is the Canon CINE-SERVO 50-1000mm T5.0-8.9 (costing only £68,000). Unfortunately, with those T-stops that are close to those of the RF 200-800, it wouldn't be good enough for you and all those who require wider lenses and those guys can't possibly be serious.
Ah, see now we’re devolving. You’ve got plenty of people you can fan out with in the forums who will agree with you that the 100-500 is on par with the gear you’ve mentioned above. I’m not one of them. But I’m glad you enjoy your 100-500 so much. You’re making my prior point for me when I said the 100-500 is overrated, BTW. You just compared it with some of the finest gear on the planet.

For starters, serious wildlife work for me is being able to photograph critters at dusk, which I don’t think is asking too much considering many animals are most active then, at least where I live in the Rockies. The f/7.1 doesn’t get it done, so it’s a non-starter for me compared to faster options. I do enjoy it, though, and as mentioned it’s very sharp if you have enough light.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ah, see now we’re devolving. You’ve got plenty of people you can fan out with in the forums who will agree with you that the 100-500 is on par with the gear you’ve mentioned above. I’m not one of them. But I’m glad you enjoy your 100-500 so much! That’s fantastic.

Serious wildlife work for me is being able to photograph critters at dusk, which I don’t think is asking too much considering many animals are most active then, at least where I live in the Rockies. The f/7.1 doesn’t get it done, so it’s a non-starter for me compared to faster options. I do enjoy it, though, and as mentioned it’s very sharp if you have enough light.
I am a lightweight hobbyist and don't claim to be doing any serious photography. What you consider to be serious photography is your own definition, and thank you for providing it. I absolutely never suggested or implied in any way whatsoever that the 100-500 is on a par with the £68,000 Canon CINE-SERVO 50-1000mm T5.0-8.9, far from it, but just pointed out that the favourite lens of the real serious pros has nearly the same "narrow" T-stops as the RF 200-800!

Upvote 0
I am a lightweight hobbyist and don't claim to be doing any serious photography. What you consider to be serious photography is your own definition, and thank you for providing it. I absolutely never suggested or implied in any way whatsoever that the 100-500 is on a par with the £68,000 Canon CINE-SERVO 50-1000mm T5.0-8.9, far from it, but just pointed out that the favourite lens of the real serious pros has nearly the same "narrow" T-stops as the RF 200-800!
And yet you also agreed with me above that it was fair to need a fast prime for dawn and dusk, before comparing it to Planet Earth gear and a lens that costs $70k. This is precisely what I’m talking about; it’s a great lens, but I stand by my comment that it’s overrated. If Canon had more options I don’t think nearly as many people would be talking about it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And yet you also agreed with me above that it was fair to need a fast prime for dawn and dusk, before comparing it to Planet Earth gear and a lens that costs $70k. This is precisely what I’m talking about; it’s a great lens, but I stand by my comment that it’s overrated. If Canon had more options I don’t think nearly as many people would be talking about it.
I agree that if you feel you need a wide lens for dawn and dusk then it is your right for you so to do and it is the solution for you. I disagree with your use of “overrated“ and have pointed out the lack of logic in its use. I do not like your criterion of what is serious photography as it is arbitrary and judgemental. I have no more to say as it has become repetitious.

Upvote 0

I definitely WANT to say something about those super-lenses that are coming BUT I will let the BIG ELECTRONICS BOYS talk first to the major news outlets as they use those fancy patents of ours in their upcoming prosumer and professional prime/zoom lenses and DSLR/Video camera products!

P.S. Can you say 3D-XYZ LIDAR/SONAR object and environment scanning AND high-quality AR/VR-centric 3D-video stereoscopic lenses on a set of prosumer/pro-level DSLR-sized products from MULTIPLE manufacturers?

V

Upvote 0
I agree that if you feel you need a wide lens for dawn and dusk then it is your right for you so to do and it is the solution for you. I disagree with your use of “overrated“ and have pointed out the lack of logic in its use. I do not like your criterion of what is serious photography as it is arbitrary and judgemental. I have no more to say as it has become repetitious.
I meant no disrespect and apologize if it came off as judgmental. I enjoy the 100-500mm and have had it from day one, but it has its limitations. Would be nice to have more viable options from Canon for dawn and dusk that are competitive with Nikon, and that’s the gist of my frustrations.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I meant no disrespect and apologize if it came off as judgmental. I enjoy the 100-500mm and have had it from day one, but it has its limitations. Would be nice to have more viable options from Canon for dawn and dusk that are competitive with Nikon, and that’s the gist of my frustrations.
Thank you for your reply, which I appreciate, and we are in agreement.

Upvote 0
You needs differ from mine. I used to shoot the Nikon D850 and D500 with the Nikon 500/5.6, which is a very sharp and light prime. But, I found the RF 100-500mm just about as sharp and so much more versatile because of its zoom and close focussing I will never go back to a 500/5.6 or similar prime. However, other peoples needs differ and they would prefer a prime. Now tell me, do you actually go out shooting with a 500mm prime or a 100-500 or 200-600 etc zoom? Or, is it all hypothetical? (By the way, the A7R5 has such dreadful rolling shutter - ~100ms compared with ~16ms for the R5, it would be of no use to me).

Rolling shutter is non-issue for wildlife when using a mechanical shutter. If you're shooting baseballs coming off Ohtani's bat, you may have issues. If you need faster framerates and are using the electronic shutter to get there, different story of course.

As for me, I'm waiting for the Sigma 500/5.6 price to drop here in Japan. The initial price is about $2700+tax here, I expect it will drop to around $2300+tax by the end of the year. I'm not in a rush. I vastly prefer compact primes over zooms, to the point that I only own one zoom currently, a 100-400.

The Sigma 500/5.6 and the Nikon 600/6.3 both compare well against the $12k ~ $13k 600/4 lenses. You lose a stop of light but not the IQ. You can tell yourself what you wish about the 100-500 but there's no way it actually compares like that.

Upvote 0