Canon says preorders for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 have exceeded expectations

privatebydesign

Garfield is back...
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,057
3,169
120
Thanks for the great remarks. Overall speaking, privatebydesign, do you suggest to buy at the end the R5?
Thanks in advance.
Andrea
Hi Andrea, it depends entirely on what you want from a camera. I would say if you are going to buy one or the other don't base your decision on the high iso performance difference. Personally I am interested in an R5 but that is because it compliments the capabilities and functionality of my DSLR's much better than the R6.

I'd say the core difference for photographers is the MP, do you want or need 45 or is 20 enough? If video is your thing are you actually creating regular content reliably or do you want to push the edges of what is available in the form factor? If the former the R6 seems a better buy, if the latter then the R5 is the obvious choice.

But the price difference can buy you another lens so even if you have the money for the R5 I'd say think about what you actually want and need because the choice isn't as straight forwards as one body against the other, it is a case of one body and lens against a body only.
 
  • Like
Reactions: puffo25

puffo25

I love fine art photography
Jul 18, 2017
48
13
55
italy
www.alinari.it
Hi Andrea, it depends entirely on what you want from a camera. I would say if you are going to buy one or the other don't base your decision on the high iso performance difference. Personally I am interested in an R5 but that is because it compliments the capabilities and functionality of my DSLR's much better than the R6.

I'd say the core difference for photographers is the MP, do you want or need 45 or is 20 enough? If video is your thing are you actually creating regular content reliably or do you want to push the edges of what is available in the form factor? If the former the R6 seems a better buy, if the latter then the R5 is the obvious choice.

But the price difference can buy you another lens so even if you have the money for the R5 I'd say think about what you actually want and need because the choice isn't as straight forwards as one body against the other, it is a case of one body and lens against a body only.
True, you are perfectly correct. My main and top preference, as I own already an Olympus Pen-F is to buy a high end digital camera. Earlier I was thinking about the 5D Mark IV but recently I have decided to invest on the RF prime lenses as they seams to perform better in terms of quality vs the EF.... And so I have decided to go for the R system. 45 vs 20 megs sensor is not much difference yet as I do not plan to make larger prints or billboards. I am a semi-professional photographer coming from the 1D Mark III and 5D Mark II ecosystem. My main photo is: street photography, landscape, nature and travel with a bit interest on events. Recently I felt in love with night/astro photography, making time laps or just taking pictures of the aurora borealis...
Probably overall speaking the R5 might be at the end a better choice also because better built quality, better water proof and other small/big differences over the R6.
Again I do NOT care much about video today and even in the future (just making 4/8k time laps movies will be interesting to me).
I do thank you so much again for your support and hints.
At the end I will probably buy the R5:)
Andrea from Italy
 

privatebydesign

Garfield is back...
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,057
3,169
120
True, you are perfectly correct. My main and top preference, as I own already an Olympus Pen-F is to buy a high end digital camera. Earlier I was thinking about the 5D Mark IV but recently I have decided to invest on the RF prime lenses as they seams to perform better in terms of quality vs the EF.... And so I have decided to go for the R system. 45 vs 20 megs sensor is not much difference yet as I do not plan to make larger prints or billboards. I am a semi-professional photographer coming from the 1D Mark III and 5D Mark II ecosystem. My main photo is: street photography, landscape, nature and travel with a bit interest on events. Recently I felt in love with night/astro photography, making time laps or just taking pictures of the aurora borealis...
Probably overall speaking the R5 might be at the end a better choice also because better built quality, better water proof and other small/big differences over the R6.
Again I do NOT care much about video today and even in the future (just making 4/8k time laps movies will be interesting to me).
I do thank you so much again for your support and hints.
At the end I will probably buy the R5:)
Andrea from Italy
If a 5D IV was your obvious next purchase progression then it seems to me the R5 is the logical replacement for that. It is certainly going to give you better results than the R6 for your landscapes and nature images, and depending on your style of travel images probably those as well. The R6 would be my preference for street and events which seem less important to you anyway. I'm pretty sure few people are going to regret their purchases of either but the R5 sounds like a more logical fit for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: puffo25

puffo25

I love fine art photography
Jul 18, 2017
48
13
55
italy
www.alinari.it
If a 5D IV was your obvious next purchase progression then it seems to me the R5 is the logical replacement for that. It is certainly going to give you better results than the R6 for your landscapes and nature images, and depending on your style of travel images probably those as well. The R6 would be my preference for street and events which seem less important to you anyway. I'm pretty sure few people are going to regret their purchases of either but the R5 sounds like a more logical fit for you.
Many thanks indeed. I wish you a great week.!
 

koenkooi

EOS R
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
1,324
1,107
On the 31st, if you get a tracking number, then you are in the first batch. ;)
Sorry, couldn’t resist, but no there is no way to know.
In the past I've received a tracking number on the day *before* the launch date, so it depends on the amount of stock and if the store is willing to exploit the loophole in the embargo that allows that.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
16,281
1,315
Is there any way to find out where one is on B&H’s preorder list for the R5?
You may have went up one spot. I cancelled my order. Covid-19 is getting really bad here, I'm among the very venerable, so I decided to wait. I'm camera poor already, so no immediate need except to play with at home.
 

Ramage

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 27, 2019
344
543
You may have went up one spot. I cancelled my order. Covid-19 is getting really bad here, I'm among the very venerable, so I decided to wait. I'm camera poor already, so no immediate need except to play with at home.
Stay safe. We are seeing spikes in BC (Canada) as well.
 
Jul 16, 2020
5
2
Could you clarify whether this was for the R5 or R6? Kit or body only?
The BH rep was confusing it with the R6 - if the R5 got pushed back to Sept 1 you would have read 1000 posts about it and it would be all over twitter, FB, and YouTube. With the amount of people who ordered from BH, you would have also heard it from about 200 people in the first hour.
 
  • Like
Reactions: subtraho

spyder93090

I'm New Here
Jul 20, 2020
18
7
Alright, help me out CR.

I placed my B&H order for an R5 at 6:38am (PST) on announcement day with my PayBoo card so I'm thinking I'll be in the first, maybe second batch.

I later found out that my company participates in the Canon EPP so I got it for $3900 out the door as well but I didn't place that order until 7/19/20 but I did place it with my Chase Sapphire Reserve so I'll get like an extra $60 in travel points, an extra year of warranty, and 4 months of purchase protection (loss, theft, or damage) - none of which you get with PayBoo except for the tax-free savings.
  1. Should I stick with my B&H order and not risk having to wait possibly 2-3 mos. for my Canon order but not get the additional protection?
  2. Or should I just cancel my B&H order and keep the additional protections but just wait around awhile for the R5? I already bought the RF 50mm f/1.2, 256GB CFE, and just sold my 5D4 ...
  3. Or should I keep the B&H R5 and try to sell it for ~$3900 locally when my Canon order comes in?
 

privatebydesign

Garfield is back...
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
9,057
3,169
120
Alright, help me out CR.

I placed my B&H order for an R5 at 6:38am (PST) on announcement day with my PayBoo card so I'm thinking I'll be in the first, maybe second batch.

I later found out that my company participates in the Canon EPP so I got it for $3900 out the door as well but I didn't place that order until 7/19/20 but I did place it with my Chase Sapphire Reserve so I'll get like an extra $60 in travel points, an extra year of warranty, and 4 months of purchase protection (loss, theft, or damage) - none of which you get with PayBoo except for the tax-free savings.
  1. Should I stick with my B&H order and not risk having to wait possibly 2-3 mos. for my Canon order but not get the additional protection?
  2. Or should I just cancel my B&H order and keep the additional protections but just wait around awhile for the R5? I already bought the RF 50mm f/1.2, 256GB CFE, and just sold my 5D4 ...
  3. Or should I keep the B&H R5 and try to sell it for ~$3900 locally when my Canon order comes in?
Personal;y I’d get them both and sell the B&H one without opening it. But that’s just me.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ramage

Bdbtoys

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
127
91
Alright, help me out CR.

I placed my B&H order for an R5 at 6:38am (PST) on announcement day with my PayBoo card so I'm thinking I'll be in the first, maybe second batch.

I later found out that my company participates in the Canon EPP so I got it for $3900 out the door as well but I didn't place that order until 7/19/20 but I did place it with my Chase Sapphire Reserve so I'll get like an extra $60 in travel points, an extra year of warranty, and 4 months of purchase protection (loss, theft, or damage) - none of which you get with PayBoo except for the tax-free savings.
  1. Should I stick with my B&H order and not risk having to wait possibly 2-3 mos. for my Canon order but not get the additional protection?
  2. Or should I just cancel my B&H order and keep the additional protections but just wait around awhile for the R5? I already bought the RF 50mm f/1.2, 256GB CFE, and just sold my 5D4 ...
  3. Or should I keep the B&H R5 and try to sell it for ~$3900 locally when my Canon order comes in?
I would chose the better deal and wait. I don't believe it will take a very long time for additional batches to show up.

Personally, I just cancelled a preorder for better deal, not knowing when exactly I might get it (but hoping for the best)... but $430-ish off was hard to pass up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chris.Chapterten

spyder93090

I'm New Here
Jul 20, 2020
18
7
Take this with a huge block of salt, chatted with Canon Live Chat regarding shipment dates and supposedly still slated to ship out 7/30 for orders. She stated that "if there were any anticipated delays, the product page would be updated" (a la Apple) but that's probably the response they're told to give.

Also, FWIW, Canon EPP pre-orders don't get any priority in case anybody was curious - I guess they figure the discount is enough.
 
Jul 16, 2020
5
2
Take this with a huge block of salt, chatted with Canon Live Chat regarding shipment dates and supposedly still slated to ship out 7/30 for orders. She stated that "if there were any anticipated delays, the product page would be updated" (a la Apple) but that's probably the response they're told to give.

Also, FWIW, Canon EPP pre-orders don't get any priority in case anybody was curious - I guess they figure the discount is enough.
With the press they are getting (not great) the last thing they should want to happen is a delay in shipment of any sort and have a bunch of angry folks who pre-ordered being told the week of release that their camera is delayed. More importantly, I would think it would be in there best interest to just release the camera as soon as possible before more people cancel their orders off of knee jerk reactions from YouTube videos or cancel and go with the A7S3 being announced tomorrow. I am not going to argue if folks that cancel are right or wrong, just saying from a business perspective - canon should hurry and get this out the door before they lose sales.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chris.Chapterten

Ramage

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 27, 2019
344
543
Just got off the phone with my local store and it sounds like I will be getting one of the units they have coming in. CPS members are getting priority for the first time since I have been a member of CPS (Standard thing with Sony and Nikon).

Hope to pick it up Friday.

They are still getting lots of Pre-Orders and sounds like they are going to have only a few units this week and a few more early Aug, then they do not know when the 3rd shipment will come. Sounds like they have about 60 pre-orders. Note to pre-order you have to put 25% down so in Canada(BC) that is $1350

They also said no one had canceled yet
 

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
26
72
I preordered my R5 and battery grip from Amazon within a couple minutes of preorders opening up and my delivery estimate has been September 3. They both just now changed to August 3rd.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Chris.Chapterten

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
4,574
1,264
I’ve cancelled my Pre order also, it’s way to many unknowns about how the R5 will actually perform. For those of you who doesn’t know, I bought one of the ten first 1d3’s in my country and it turned out be one of my most regrettable purchases and seeing all the if’s and but’s and maybe’s with the R5, I’d rather wait and see...
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ramage