Confirmation of Upcoming Product Announcements

sunnyVan said:
I sincerely hope you're correct and that Canon will be generous enough to put DPAF in a 6dii. That'd be basically a full frame 80d. I'd keep my 5dmk3 and skip mk4. That'd give me much better value than paying $3400 for incremental update. Dual card, rugged body, decent frame rate. I get to retain these things in the 5dmk3. Then I get DPAF, articulating screen, and a new sensor with more DR in 6dii. Perfect.

Except for Canon being ignorant enough, to miss on the articulating screen for their FF line again ... and again ... and again ...

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
ahsanford said:
No 1DX2 bump near the hotshoe with the 5D4, but it has GPS and WiFi now. Hmmm... Is the top of this rig still metal?

As has been discussed based on the earlier leaked picture, the VF hump is differently shaped than before and there are new seams. Seems very likely the pentaprism case is fully plastic.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Re:

dilbert said:
Sharlin said:
The 5D4 will have weather sealing, who would have guessed?!
The question is how Canon will qualify that in its documentation. Will it be "sand/water proof" or just "weather resistant".

They will never ever market something as "sand/water proof". You get waterproof by buying an underwater housing. The machine-translated phrase "dust and water specification" has featured in several previous digicame.info spec lists too. It means what it has always meant.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
ahsanford said:
No 1DX2 bump near the hotshoe with the 5D4, but it has GPS and WiFi now. Hmmm... Is the top of this rig still metal?

As has been discussed based on the earlier leaked picture, the VF hump is differently shaped than before and there are new seams. Seems very likely the pentaprism case is fully plastic.

Is there a problem with that? I believe some testing showed the "plastic" bodies to be better protection for the guts.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Orangutan said:
Sharlin said:
Is there a problem with that? I believe some testing showed the "plastic" bodies to be better protection for the guts.

There was no value judgement of any kind in my message at least. If anything, more plastic = better Wi-Fi signal, most probably.

This is only the second FF Canon body to feature Wi-Fi, right? The 6D has a full-plastic top; the 5D4 apparently only around the antenna parts - but with Wi-Fi you can't just get by with a small hump like in the 1DX2.

Upvote 0
Nikon already put an articulating screen on their full frame camera. Canon is forced to respond by doing the same. It's inconceivable that the next full frame doesn't have articulating screen. 5D series doesn't have it I can understand but 6d series absolutely will.

-pekr- said:
sunnyVan said:
I sincerely hope you're correct and that Canon will be generous enough to put DPAF in a 6dii. That'd be basically a full frame 80d. I'd keep my 5dmk3 and skip mk4. That'd give me much better value than paying $3400 for incremental update. Dual card, rugged body, decent frame rate. I get to retain these things in the 5dmk3. Then I get DPAF, articulating screen, and a new sensor with more DR in 6dii. Perfect.

Except for Canon being ignorant enough, to miss on the articulating screen for their FF line again ... and again ... and again ...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
fallsong said:
With my limited Japanese, the # 3 should be: "Unpresidential, and post-process-able dual pixel raw file”

Could this be the so-called "DLSR first" function?

(posted this in the other thread too)

- これまでに無い後処理の調整が可能なデュアルピクセルRAWファイル

bing translate:

-Unprecedented cleanup adjustable dual pixels RAW files

google translate:

So far it can be to no post-processing of the adjustment dual pixel RAW file

Then there's this:

5D Mark IVのスペックは、ほぼ海外で噂されていた通りのようで、Mark III から全体的なスペックを底上げさせたバランス機に仕上がっているようです。新しいデュアルピクセルのRAWファイルは非常に興味深いところですね。ボディサイズはごくわずかに小さくなっているようです。

translated:

5 d Mark IV specs is like, as had been rumored in the near abroad, seems to have finished in balance machines which raise the overall specs from the Mark III. New dualpixels RAW files are very interesting. Body size is slightly smaller is like.

:eek:

anyone know japanese?
Did canon just implement dual ISO? and yes that would be a first.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
dilbert said:
fallsong said:
With my limited Japanese, the # 3 should be: "Unpresidential, and post-process-able dual pixel raw file”

Could this be the so-called "DLSR first" function?

Could be. I don't get why post-processing of DPAF raw files is a first on the 5D4, unless it simply means that other DPAF cameras didn't allow post-processing of raw files in-camera and in which case, it isn't really a "first" unless there is something special about DPAF in raw files ...

nope the 1Dx Mark II does raw processing, hell it even does full out DLO processing in camera.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
rrcphoto said:

The photography internet would absoutely break if that's what it meant:

[list type=decimal]
[*]The Magic Lantern camp might sue Canon for poaching their idea (if they were smart enough to patent it)

[*]Canon would claim 'first' and claim bestest most awesomeness

[*]SoNikon sensor fanboys would claim Canon had to resort to pixel trickery and software shenanigans to beat their sensors head to head

[*]DXO would in turn refuse to test the camera as it represented a multi-shot mode (even though they report a multi-shot mode for their very own camera design, the DXO One)
[/list]

Could you imagine the hell that would raise if that's what it was?

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
rrcphoto said:

The photography internet would absoutely break if that's what it meant:

[list type=decimal]
[*]The Magic Lantern camp might sue Canon for poaching their idea (if they were smart enough to patent it)

[*]Canon would claim 'first' and claim bestest most awesomeness

[*]SoNikon sensor fanboys would claim Canon had to resort to pixel trickery and software shenanigans to beat their sensors head to head

[*]DXO would in turn refuse to test the camera as it represented a multi-shot mode (even though they report a multi-shot mode for their very own camera design, the DXO One)
[/list]

Could you imagine the hell that would raise if that's what it was?

- A

damn, i hope they did it.. this would be popcorn worthy.

would be a boon for wedding photogs if you could adjust the ISO's of the pairs though individually.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
dilbert said:
rrcphoto said:
5 d Mark IV specs is like, as had been rumored in the near abroad, seems to have finished in balance machines which raise the overall specs from the Mark III. New dualpixels RAW files are very interesting. Body size is slightly smaller is like.

If it were "dual ISO" then that could make more sense.

There was a rumor or comment from some time ago that Canon were looking at something like this and that whilst related to what ML had done, was much more advanced than ML's "hackery."

Anyone else remember the link/posting?

Not the post but I vividly recall several conversations on here about it. DPAF always made total sense to employ this exact sort of thing and Canon probably couldnt get it ready in time for 1DX2 but I suspect a firmware update will be imminent once the 5D4 starts shipping

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
PureClassA said:
Not the post but I vividly recall several conversations on here about it. DPAF always made total sense to employ this exact sort of thing and Canon probably couldnt get it ready in time for 1DX2 but I suspect a firmware update will be imminent once the 5D4 starts shipping

But why withhold a best-in-class sensor feature from their flagship rig? "Timing" would be a very poor excuse to the 1DX2 crowd if this 5D4 sensor IQ is made clearly better from such a feature.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
PureClassA said:

But why withhold a best-in-class sensor feature from their flagship rig? "Timing" would be a very poor excuse to the 1DX2 crowd if this 5D4 sensor IQ is made clearly better from such a feature.

- A

it could be impossible.

I have been scouring the us patent office looking for relevant patents... my god .. canon files alot.

anyways.. there's has been alot of work done on DPAF optimization. it could be that the 1DX Mark II sensor is optimized for speed, and not optimized to output all values.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
dilbert said:
ahsanford said:
PureClassA said:

We'll just have to wait and see if there is a 1DX2 firmware update that brings with it this particular feature.

This feature may also be something that ends up in the 7D2 firmware update - again, wait and see.

Or maybe whilst many sensors appear "capable" of supporting this, a la ML, the reality might be different from a Canon perspective. The 5D4 feature may depend on some behaviour or performance of its new sensor that isn't previously available or this could be like DPAF, where cameras had it built in but only enabled later with firmware updates (was it C300?)

keep in mind that ML dual ISO is NOT the same thing.

basically one line would output at ISO 100, and the subsequent line would output at another.

this would be two values under each microlens.

Upvote 0