Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
dilbert said:
ahsanford said:
PureClassA said:
Not the post but I vividly recall several conversations on here about it. DPAF always made total sense to employ this exact sort of thing and Canon probably couldnt get it ready in time for 1DX2 but I suspect a firmware update will be imminent once the 5D4 starts shipping

But why withhold a best-in-class sensor feature from their flagship rig? "Timing" would be a very poor excuse to the 1DX2 crowd if this 5D4 sensor IQ is made clearly better from such a feature.

We'll just have to wait and see if there is a 1DX2 firmware update that brings with it this particular feature.

This feature may also be something that ends up in the 7D2 firmware update - again, wait and see.

Or maybe whilst many sensors appear "capable" of supporting this, a la ML, the reality might be different from a Canon perspective. The 5D4 feature may depend on some behaviour or performance of its new sensor that isn't previously available or this could be like DPAF, where cameras had it built in but only enabled later with firmware updates (was it C300?)

Well the 80D and 1DX2 share the same sensor build. The 7D2 does not. While all three have DPAF, the 7D2 was built with a sensor that predates the new Canon on sensor ADC fabrication process. The 5D4 will also have that new process. That said, I'm not sure how the placement of the ADC would affect such a feature. If ML could hack it in a 5D3 without any of that, i would imagine Canon would find a way to do it here if so inclined with a much more soohisticated system than ML ever had to work with. No line skipping

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
So judging by the front picture it looks like this camera won't have an interchangeable screen. I'm really surprised at this because I can't understand why Canon would change the 7D series to take different screens as in the 7DII, but not the 5 series. Surely an interchangeable screen is more applicable to a FF camera than a crop one ?

I can only assume that Canon MR shows that manual lenses are a hobbyist's thing, and many more hobbyists use crop than FF. Following this logic I guess we will now see the 6DII retain its user interchangeable screen.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
eosuser1234 said:
Does this mean the M series is coming to a close?
I thought Maeda-san had said a new EOS-M was coming out soon in September of last year. What is going on in regardless to the EOS M series?

+1

stupid geriatric ward. stupid Canon.

So far in 2016 (Jan-Jun), global MILC shipments are down 15% compared to the same period last year (dSLRs have dropped about the same). In Japan, MILC shipments have dropped close to 40%, whereas dSLR shipments have dropped 25%.

So yeah, sounds like a great time to push hard at launching new MILCs...at least, in The AvTvM Universe. ::)

Upvote 0
I can imagine being a sales manager at Canon is difficult these days. Maybe product life cycles are going back to more like FILM SLR cameras. new cameras every 5-6 years if that. Pro products 7-10 year cycle. Sure technology is faster, and people want mega pixels, people want 4k 120fps, and 8K but who has Google Fiber to support streaming 4k? The technology is there for cameras, and certain pros will need and demand that, but on an economic scale, the general consumer main platform for viewing and sharing photos is now probably a 4.7inch iphone and it is not economically viable for companies to produce new products in mass every three years, only to have very few people feel the need to upgrade due to lack of viewing/sharing platforms available which can showoff the technology leaps made in cameras. Who knows though.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
eosuser1234 said:
Does this mean the M series is coming to a close?
I thought Maeda-san had said a new EOS-M was coming out soon in September of last year. What is going on in regardless to the EOS M series?

+1

stupid geriatric ward. stupid Canon.

So far in 2016 (Jan-Jun), global MILC shipments are down 15% compared to the same period last year (dSLRs have dropped about the same). In Japan, MILC shipments have dropped close to 40%, whereas dSLR shipments have dropped 25%.

So yeah, sounds like a great time to push hard at launching new MILCs...at least, in The AvTvM Universe. ::)

Isn't the MILC crowd blaming the earthquake? (I don't know enough about business OR plate tectonics to have an opinion one way or the other.)

But I was hoping for an M.

Upvote 0
nvsravank said:
Ok I have been trying to search for any more details on the new 16-35 lens. I dont see much in terms of leaks.
Can anybody point me to the right links here or outside to read up more on the rumors on this lens!

I got my 1DX Mark II and so back to lenses for satisfying that GAS.

+1

very interested in that lens. I was never really happy with the mark II.
I don't want the Tamron with that huge bulbous front element. So it's either the Mark III or the f/4 variant...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
In fact, it would have been an absolutely necesary step to keep EOS M platform alive and kicking.

Gee, I must have missed the obituary and the funeral. Last I saw, Canon had moved from #4 to #3 in Japan MILC sales. Maybe they're only mostly dead.

Miracle-Max1-608x333.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
Launching a really decent, fully competitive Canon EOS M4 body after many years of neglect and half-assed mirrorless attempts would hardly qualify as "pushin' hard" ...

In fact, it would have been an absolutely necesary step to keep EOS M platform alive and kicking.

Stupid Canon.

yes, stupid canon .. so far this year .. they have shipped out somewhere around 25 to 40% of all mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Re:

dilbert said:
Sharlin said:
dilbert said:
- dust and water specification

Curious! It will be interesting to see what Canon actually say about this.

The 5D4 will have weather sealing, who would have guessed?!

The question is how Canon will qualify that in its documentation. Will it be "sand/water proof" or just "weather resistant".

They will qualify it by saying

"The Canon EOS 5D Mark IV features dust and weather sealing equivalent to the EOS 1V, the camera which set the standard for weather resistance" , exactly like they do on every single other camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Ladiessss and gentlemennnnn, in this corner, weighing in at over 1000 characters, we have rrcphoto...

rrcphoto said:
rrcphoto said:
Interesting, is that canon now holds nearly a 50% of the overall marketshare.

adding do this .. I found / calculated nikon's numbers from their reports.. (yay nikon .. they have that data).

for the equivalent of canon's first quarter: 760,000 units
Q2, 710,000 units.

so adding those .. and we start to get more of an interesting idea:

for the 1st quarter of this year.

1Q Canon - 40%, Nikon - 30%, all others - 30%
2Q Canon - 58%, Nikon - 28%, all others - 14%

obviously things went to hell in Sony land.

or everyone fell asleep.

what that means so far? between the two largest manufactures:

Canon - 49%
Nikon - 29%
Everyone else - 22%

assuming that pentax and sony don't sell any mirrorless cameras..

means that nikon + canon have a 2.5% of that 25% marketshare for Mirrorless. assuming that no one else sells any DSLR's..

However.

Sony in their IR day literature state they have around a 2-3% DSLR marketshare.
You have to think that pentax has around 3-5%.

so it's safe to assume that canon and nikon have around a 7.5 to 10.5% out of the 24.5% marketshare in mirrorless right now.

which is a MILC marketshare of 30% to 42%.

I think my math was right .. oO .. really .. wtf.

really?

...and in this corner, weighing in at a paltry 2 characters, we have the hopelessly outmatched and outclassed AvTvM.

AvTvM said:

Ding ding ding.

Wow, that was a quick bout. Medic, we need a medic!!

Upvote 0
What's keeping you from switching to Sony or Fuji? They got everything you are asking for.

AvTvM said:
Launching a really decent, fully competitive Canon EOS M4 body after many years of neglect and half-assed mirrorless attempts would hardly qualify as "pushin' hard" ...

Stupid Canon.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sunnyVan said:
What's keeping you from switching to Sony or Fuji? They got everything you are asking for.

AvTvM said:

Stupid Canon.

No, they technically don't have the crop equivalent of a 135 f/2L with IS in an ultra-thin pancake design for a bargain basement price that millions of photographers are asking for that AvTvM truly needs to attain nirvana.

That is turning out to be a bigger hurdle than 'Stupid Canon' is.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
sunnyVan said:

unfortunately not.
Sony has the bodies A7R II and A6300. But not optically good AND affordable lenses. Especially not for APS-C (E-Mount).

Fuji has decent bodies and decent lenses, but at FF prices for APS-C only.

I am more than happy with Canon EF-M glass - except that missing EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM. And I do like the Canon RT flash system. But all existing EOS M bodies suck. Big time. That's the dilemma.

Stupid Canon, give me a decent EOS M4.

Upvote 0
https://www.gofundme.com/

Problem solved.

AvTvM said:
sunnyVan said:

unfortunately not.
Sony has the bodies A7R II and A6300. But not optically good AND affordable lenses. Especially not for APS-C (E-Mount).

Fuji has decent bodies and decent lenses, but at FF prices for APS-C only.

I am more than happy with Canon EF-M glass - except that missing EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM. And I do like the Canon RT flash system. But all existing EOS M bodies suck. Big time. That's the dilemma.

Stupid Canon, give me a decent EOS M4.

Upvote 0