Confirmation of Upcoming Product Announcements

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:
Don't worry. Things are just fine for AvTvM. He's using his slapping and non-slapping Canon gear to take pictures but does not buy new or additional Canon stuff, until *stupid* Canon finally makes what he wants. Until then, things are bad for Canon. Because AvTvM is not alone in the universe. :)

I hear you on mirrorless, and eventually (almost) everyone will get there.

But that lens you want is some piece of science fiction. It's a bag of holding from D&D. Don't hold your breath on that.

- A

Upvote 0
Sony heard his demand. But he refuses to cough up large sum for the G masters.

rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
Until then, things are bad for Canon.

Sure, if making a profit and gaining marketshare are 'bad'. ::)

Canon can't hear AvTvM over the sound of all those damned trucks shipping out 2.5 million ILC's..

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
sunnyVan said:
Sony heard his demand. But he refuses to cough up large sum for the G masters.

Those small, light lenses are perfect for a compact MILC system!

Also on AvTvM's s---list? Physics. Who else but Physics would make his long + fast lenses neither pancake thin nor as light as a feather?

Physics. That's who. Physics is a jerk.

#slappinmirrors #stupidcanon #jerkphysics

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
ahsanford said:
Also on AvTvM's s---list? Physics. Who else but Physics would make his long + fast lenses neither pancake thin nor as light as a feather?

Physics. That's who. Physics is a jerk.
#slappinmirrors #stupidcanon #jerkphysics
- A

In case you forgot: all I am askin for is *one* additional, compact EF-M lens. Neither very long nor very fast. Just a modest portrait tele, something like an EF-M 85mm f/2.4 IS STM.

I don't see, what kind of Canon fanboy physics would prevent that lens to be similar in size and weight to a Pentax 77mm/1.8 FA - which happens to be an FF lens.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/388316-REG/Pentax_27980_Telephoto_SMCP_FA_77mm_f_1_8.html

Leaving off manual aperture ring and using a bit more (hi-grade) plastic rather than all metal, it could also be priced reasonably - in line with the other EF-M lenses ... say USD/€ 399. I'd be willing to spend that on a crop fixed focal lens, but not more. I am sure, that lens would sell quite well ... provided Canon also launch a worthwhile EOS M4 body some day soon.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for dual ISO HDR.

Whilst I'm sure Canon could do this if they want to, the problem is they would have to pay a royalty on every camera sold because it is patented by another company.

So I'm thinking Canon wouldn't be prepared to do this on a high volume camera like the 5D IV.

Would be cool if I'm wrong on this one.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Local Hero said:
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much for dual ISO HDR.

Whilst I'm sure Canon could do this if they want to, the problem is they would have to pay a royalty on every camera sold because it is patented by another company.

So I'm thinking Canon wouldn't be prepared to do this on a high volume camera like the 5D IV.

Would be cool if I'm wrong on this one.

You wouldn't believe how many HDR patents canon holds.

I tried to find a relevant one and gave up after an hour worth of patent searches.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
You wouldn't believe how many HDR patents canon holds.

I tried to find a relevant one and gave up after an hour worth of patent searches.

I know a bit about this one, because I used to work for the patent holder.
They have quite a few licensing deals with other camera companies already.

However there is a lot of semantics involved with regards to how it happens on the sensor and how it is processed etc.

So sometimes it can be got around.

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
neuroanatomist said:
So far in 2016 (Jan-Jun), global MILC shipments are down 15% compared to the same period last year (dSLRs have dropped about the same). In Japan, MILC shipments have dropped close to 40%, whereas dSLR shipments have dropped 25%.

So yeah, sounds like a great time to push hard at launching new MILCs...at least, in The AvTvM Universe. ::)

Serious pent-up demand in the dSLR Canon universe. I've been putting off buying a camera for at least 6-8 months expecting the 5Div. If I'm going to spend over $2K on a FF, it was going to be the right one.

I would suggest a lot of people have been waiting for the 5Div to be at least announced before they pull the trigger on their next camera.

We will see what the tail end of Q3'16 and Q4'16 looks like for camera sales.

Upvote 0