DPReview: Canon EOS R5 and R6 overheating claims tested: cameras work as promised – but that’s not enough

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Did you actually read the press release for the Canon R5? Canon pitched it as a pro level video camera, that could be used on set as a B-cam to the C500mk2. Don’t take my word for it... read Canons press release:

“suitability with high-end production workflows”

So is it unreasonable to expect the R5 to function in accordance with what Canon stated?

I have battle fatigue from trying to have a reasonable point of view.

I’ll let people decide for themselves what’s reasonable or not. For me, it’s a stills camera with some video features and that’s how I’ll enjoy it. Others with other ideas in mind will have to choose for themselves.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
As far as I can see there is nothing thats not working as it is described in canons description regard runtimes.
So when Canon states in their press release that I linked to, that the R5 can act as a B-Cam to their cinemas cameras on a professional set... you read that to mean 15 minutes of run time and 2 plus hours of down time?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL, that this camera will be used successfully on Any "HIGH END" Production set. NO way will this be used a a video cam on these sets, and not at weddings (doesn't even record video to 2 Cards!). If anyone thinks they will, please let me know.

The R6 I may get. Because I would only use video for fun. And most likely only 1080.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL, that this camera will be used successfully on Any "HIGH END" Production set. NO way will this be used a a video cam on these sets, and not at weddings (doesn't even record video to 2 Cards!). If anyone thinks they will, please let me know.

The R6 I may get. Because I would only use video for fun. And most likely only 1080.
++++ doesn't even record video to 2 Cards!)
A.M.: and Canon R has never been used By wedding photogs because it writes to a single card Only?
i think it will. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Just make sure you enjoy the higher end video features before using the stills features, or you may end up a bit disappointed...
Do people realise that in a lot of cases, the end product is only a few minutes of 4K video?

Not everyone needs a ton of record time, they just record for a few minutes and move on.
That's how they all did with the small cameras that suffered from this problem and yet people could still produce great content with those as well.

There is a crop mode and the external recorder is also an option.

But I think the biggest mistake is that people are also trashing the standard 4K for no reason.
It is more or less as good (or bad...) as the EOS R 4K (which I think is perfectly fine) but without the huge 1.75x crop, rolling shutter, 8-bit internal codecs, lack of IBIS and it does it with a much more advanced AF system as well.
So what's not to like?

I think this camera will shoot beautiful standard 4K video for the web with natural colours.

Suddenly anything non-oversampled is not enough, when the 1080p in the EOS R 8-bit 4:2:0 was perfectly fine yesterday?

Seriously, people really need to look at the whole picture instead of dissecting those features that do present some problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Give me a break... did you actually think you could believe what Canon said the camera could do? I’m sorry, but in the real world this is deceptive advertising and fraud. You cannot legally claim a product is capable of functionality that it is actually incapable of.
Why would anyone defend such a practice?

Oh no, alert the lawyers! :eek: :rolleyes:

• Haha
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Do people realise that in a lot of cases, the end product is only a few minutes of 4K video?

Not everyone needs a ton of record time, they just record for a few minutes and move on.
That's how they all did with the small cameras that suffered from this problem and yet people could still produce great content with those as well.

But I think the biggest mistake is that people are also trashing the standard 4K for no reason.
It is more or less as good (or bad...) as the EOS R 4K (which I think is perfectly fine) but without the huge 1.75x crop, rolling shutter, 8-bit internal codecs, lacks of IBIS but with the same Canon colours.
So what's not to like?

I think this camera will shoot beautiful standard 4K video for the web.

Suddenly anything non-oversampled is not enough, when the 1080p in the EOS R 8-bit 4:2:0 was perfectly fine yesterday?

Seriously, people really need to look at the whole picture instead of dissecting those features that do present some problems.

Yep. we have one regular commenter here who insists no one will want to use the lineskip 4K, once they see the other 4K mode. But that one comes with a price. Of course, he's raging against having to pay that price.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Now I know why more than 50% of marriages end in divorce. Wildly out of perspective expectations despite the goods being advertised accurately for months. It’s like that weird guy that gets his first ever lover. He knew what he was getting before tying the knot. Then he expects sympathy when he willfully ignored the signs and now demands far more than Susie never claimed she could deliver. Is Susie to blame? Not at all. The blame belongs to the psycho she married. Psycho = dummies who expect a quart to hold a gallon. It says “quart” right on the damned package.

Upvote 0
Look at that, Gerald Undone publishes his videocentric review, and even he says that he couldn’t get the camera to lock out of stills despite trying to in his testing.

So what’s the tally so far? Like 20 reviews and videos on it not locking out in stills use...

vs.

two message board posts and 3 clowns on CanonRumors.

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
It is more or less as good (or bad...) as the EOS R 4K (which I think is perfectly fine) but without the huge 1.75x crop, rolling shutter, 8-bit internal codecs, lacks of IBIS but with the same Canon colours.
So what's not to like?

Stop being reasonable. We need something to feel outraged about! :mad:

• Haha
Upvote 0

quilatoo

EOS 5D iii
Jul 30, 2020

So what's not to like?

I think this camera will shoot beautiful standard 4K video for the web.

The standard 4K solution will be absolutely fine for many people, yes, including myself since I will rarely use video! But how long is this camera meant to be the cutting edge for Canon in the EOS 5 mantle? Three years, maybe four based on past timelines? Use of 4K will only grow on YouTube (already I'm seeing a lot of photography channels moving to 4K) as video streaming in 4K and 4KTV takes hold. The release of new games consoles later this year will be a potential sea change for a lot of people taking the plunge in the next twelve months in regular consumption of 4K entertainment. 1080p footage on YouTube is also often shot at 4K and either downsampled or used for in footage panning/zooming, so being able to do the same with 8K into 4K will probably soon be quite compelling; especially as it was a big part of the marketing on the R5's 8K capabilities in the launch video!

Looking at the changes in price between a7R - a7R IV, and 5D III - R5, Canon have been charging a pretty significant premium compared to Sony for upgrading to a newer model. It's why I've skipped a generation and didn't bother with the 5D IV when the improvements didn't really seem worth the increased cost of my 5D III.

How much will Sony undercut them in the next year on an a7R V while potentially working out how to include the kinds of higher end 4K and maybe 8K video features in a way that makes them significantly more user friendly than what Canon have attempted here?

I feel a lot of people are missing the wider point with why so many are annoyed with the limitations on some of the R5's video features - they're not useful enough for those who are more interested in that side of the camera, while also driving up the overall price for those only interested in the other, better side! As much as it would be easier to think so, "the media" and every YouTube channel telling you bad news about this fun thing you want isn't necessarily some paid shill angling for controversial clicks.

Now I know why more than 50% of marriages end in divorce.
Because people spend a good chunk of their savings on slightly compromised products? ;)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Not 100% on topic, but I've read the word 'insulated' a ton of times over the course of the last weeks in the context of the R5 overheating conversation. Obviously, the R5 isn't insulated, that would be insane product design. I've even seen people mentioning weather sealing being the reason for the insulation :rolleyes:

Anyway, to hopefully add some sense to that thought (And shed some light on one of the few stills focused R5 reviews), I'd like to share this portion of a video, where you can see some infra red images of the R5 after light 4K use. It shows that the heat is perfectly directed to the back, the area behind the screen. Obviously, being a flat surface and potentially covered by the screen, that does very little to effectively get the heat away from the camera. But we have already seen the cooling modules that will address that.

Notice how much brighther the screen is after recording some 4K und these screenshots of the video. Also worth noting that the heat does seem to get distributed well to the rest of the body (apeart from the grip, that actually seems to be a poor heatsink). It's worthwile video segment to watch (The rest too if you're interested in still performance with EF lenses).

After_6min_4K.PNGBefore_recording.PNG

Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Well i'd like to have
- Fullframe
- 10 bit 4:2:2 codecs
- Log profiles
- 4K up to 50fps (100 if possible, or 100fps in FHD)
- some kind of ibis
- flipscreen
- (dual card slots)
- price range of 2000-3000 euro's

I'd like to have a sony or canon camera. The A7S III is nearly perfect but just a little expensive for me and the R6 has overheating issues i actually can't deal with
Hopefully canon comes with a solution for the overheating problems that makes the R6 just of a very nice dedicated video camera.

Yeah, those are unicorn specs. Only the Canon R5 & A7SIII can do honest fullframe 4K50. You can throw the R6 in there, but it does have a slight 1.07 crop, so technically not quite full frame. You don't mention AutoFocus so the 1DXIII would fit except that it doesn't have a flippy screen & it's a super expensive camera. Out of the entire list, except for the overheating, the R6 is your best bet. Here's to hoping a firmware update can make it more usable. Save up the extra Euro's and I'm sure the A7SIII would make you happy.

This illustrates a good point though... many are acting like they are owed these features like they were some long standing prerequisite for any normal videographer. The truth is, we are just now getting some of these amazing specs and features.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Looking at the changes in price between a7R - a7R IV, and 5D III - R5, Canon have been charging a pretty significant premium compared to Sony for upgrading to a newer model. It's why I've skipped a generation and didn't bother with the 5D IV when the improvements didn't really seem worth the increased cost of my 5D III.

How much will Sony undercut them in the next year on an a7R V while potentially working out how to include the kinds of higher end 4K and maybe 8K video features in a way that makes them significantly more user friendly than what Canon have attempted here?

I feel a lot of people are missing the wider point with why so many are annoyed with the limitations on some of the R5's video features - they're not useful enough for those who are more interested in that side of the camera, while also driving up the overall price for those only interested in the other, better side! As much as it would be easier to think so, "the media" and every YouTube channel telling you bad news about this fun thing you want isn't necessarily some paid shill angling for controversial clicks.

Because people spend a good chunk of their savings on slightly compromised products? ;)
Why do you think Sony can do any better for cheaper?
The main reason for the A7SIII being less prone to overheating is exactly that: 12 Megapixels on the sensor, less heat buildup on the sensor and much less data to process internally as well.

But with that megapixel count, it fits perfectly into those slightly compromised product category and no, I would not call it cheap by any means either...

Bump the A7IV to 4k60p with 10-bit codecs, and you will probably end up with a camera overheating in that mode, just like the R6 except it might not even do it in FF mode, but with the 1.5x APS-C crop instead, which is already an annoyance itself.

They always raise prices with every generation, they are really no different to Canon, except their product cycle is shorter and they have four separate FF mirrorless models running in parallel, so their tactics are different and the price increases might not be noticed as much.
The A7RIV isn't a whole lot cheaper and it misses completely on the video front and it uses an older Bionz X processor, it does not have the full touchscreen an new Menu, etc. is basically feels a generation behind Canon, it is an older, cheaper camera, so no surprise there. A newer one will be better but also more expensive, if they design an 8K sensor, it will be even more expensive.

Canon will address the more serious video shooter needs with different models (that RF-EF Speed Booster might give a clue about what they are planning...) Sony probably won't do it the same way, as their product line-up looks different, after the A7SIII the next step up is the FX9 video camera, and they will make a smaller version of that as well to sit in between those two models.

I really don't get all this comparisons when people should be looking at systems, not particular cameras (again, the bigger picture instead of the smaller picture).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

It can work great as a crash cam for action sequences on a HIGH END production. Mind it.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I just took the time to take some comparisons between HQ and non HQ 4k.
HQ is certainly a bit more detailed. I used a 35mm 1,4 L II lense in an ideal studio situation with low iso and medium aperture.

As you can see, the HQ is a bit more detailed if you zom at 100%. However, If I applied just a little bit of sharpening to the image, there is no notable difference. Its certainly nothing I would notice at all in any real world situation. So I will happily use the camera in standard 4k "line skipped" mode and record as long as I wish. I can say with confident that this level of sharpness is nothing I need to ever worry about. The perfect AF and beautiful colors as well as the very good IBIS are all perfect for my work.
Sounds like you are happy with the R5 as it is. Does that mean if Canon issues a recall with a fix for the overheating issues that you will decline the fix? After all, it sounds like there is nothing that needs fixing in your opinion?

Honestly, we all know this camera would not have sold as well and so fast had it not been for the headline features... 8K, oversampled 4K, 4K 120p... but yet soooo much flack from having the gall to expect those features to work as Canon promised. When the fixed version is
Look at that, Gerald Undone publishes his videocentric review, and even he says that he couldn’t get the camera to lock out of stills despite trying to in his testing.

So what’s the tally so far? Like 20 reviews and videos on it not locking out in stills use...

vs.

two message board posts and 3 clowns on CanonRumors.
It drops image quality when it overheats in stills mode... per Canon.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you are happy with the R5 as it is. Does that mean if Canon issues a recall with a fix for the overheating issues that you will decline the fix? After all, it sounds like there is nothing that needs fixing in your opinion?

Honestly, we all know this camera would not have sold as well and so fast had it not been for the headline features... 8K, oversampled 4K, 4K 120p... but yet soooo much flack from having the gall to expect those features to work as Canon promised. When the fixed version is

It drops image quality when it overheats in stills mode... per Canon.
Actually it drops image quality as the sensor gets hotter period, overheated or not.... just like every single other camera on the planet.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0