Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Apr 19, 2021
That surely leave a room at top for High res body to compete with A1 and Z9.
It makes you wonder is this is the R1 rumored last year, but being released as an R3, as you say to leave room for an A1/Z9 competitor...

• An all-new image sensor with a global shutter
  • A “groundbreaking” new AF system, above the EOS R5/EOS R6
  • The fastest framerate for a stills camera ever from Canon
  • The second half of 2021 announcement

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Honestly with owning a R5, I realize the only thing I really need in a camera is an RF mount version of my 1dx2 so that I can go fully RF mount.

It honestly makes sense to view this as an upgrade for people still using the 1dx, 1dx2, and 1dx3 but wanting to move to RF mount.

With that in mind, you're nearly doubling the 16 FPS of the 1dx2 with the R3, on top of the durability of limitless electronic shutter, RF mount lenses, new huge and super fast EVF, built-in wi-fi, the TouchPad AF on button, a 4 mp increase, tracking focus, flip screen, the list truly goes on.

All that put together, it's honestly a compelling upgrade for 1dx/1dx2/1dx3 users. I'm sure at 24 megapixels this is going to be a blistering fast and responsive camera that gives you the same responsiveness as a DSLR, and possibly a similar sort of battery life too.

I don't honestly need anything more out of my 1dx2, but it will be an incredibly worthwhile upgrade for me to get a similar camera to the 1dx2 but with an EVF and RF mount.

If Canon didn't make a camera that was a direct update along the lines of the current 1-series, what would those users feel comfortable upgrading to? A lot of that market isn't looking to deal with 50 mp files at 30 fps.

Now that they have the R3 though, I think it frees Canon to do whatever they want with the 1-series and not have to strictly worry about that market.
Still waiting for all the Olympic photogs NDA's to expire so they can honestly share their hands on experience with the R3, knowing that most of them have been using 1Dx ii, iii and R5 bodies. I will be somewhat discounting their take, knowing that Canon loaned(gave?) them an R3 to try out. Even still, I'm looking fwd to hearing their opinions until we get some hands on reviews by the content creators, once the R3 is actually available to the public. If the 1Dx users embrace the R3, regardless of whether it makes them abandon their 1dx's or just buy it as a back-up, I'll then know that Canon has a winner on its hands. So, Canon, stop the carrot dangling and let your ambassadors share their experiences with us. After a week's use at Tokyo, they've certainly told you what they think of it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It makes you wonder is this is the R1 rumored last year, but being released as an R3, as you say to leave room for an A1/Z9 competitor...

• An all-new image sensor with a global shutter
  • The fastest framerate for a stills camera ever from Canon
  • The second half of 2021 announcement
I think there has been a lot of information put together from various products, which does happen. The delays in announcements and manufacturing have made this issue more difficult to deal with.

Quad Pixel AF (which patents exist for) and a Global Shutter would certainly fit an R1. I do believe the R1 is already in development, but feedback from the R3 will be a big part of what we get as a finished product.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Seth from Adorama called it 24MP too in his latest video.The 2 issues are that Canon is behind the competition at least for a year probably and that now people will have to get this camera and still might have to get or want an R1 for that truly next gen pro sports camera for the RF mount. I wonder if people will get this then sell this this camera when the R1 drops. Hopely this camera has the same price an the R5 then it wont hurt as bad to purchase but $5K or $6k in 2022 and only 24mp might be a big hell no. Someone did mention this camera might just be like a test or prototype-ish camera like the R to hold people over.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Seth from Adorama called it 24MP too in his latest video.The 2 issues are that Canon is behind the competition at least for a year probably and that now people will have to get this camera and still might have to get or want an R1 for that truly next gen pro sports camera for the RF mount. I wonder if people will get this then sell this this camera when the R1 drops. Hopely this camera has the same price an the R5 then it wont hurt as bad to purchase but $5K or $6k in 2022 and only 24mp might be a big hell no. Someone did mention this camera might just be like a test or prototype-ish camera like the R to hold people over.

There may be some product segmentation that doesn't line up with how Canon DSLRs have been sold over the years. I could see an R1 like a 5D series camera, but instead of being do everything, master of none, it will be a do everything and a master of everything.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
There may be some product segmentation that doesn't line up with how Canon DSLRs have been sold over the years. I could see an R1 like a 5D series camera, but instead of being do everything, master of none, it will be a do everything and a master of everything.
Makes sense to realign mirrorless cameras with the reality of the hardware needed.

It was an engineering marvel that Canon was able to make mirror and shutter assemblies able to move fast enough and durable enough to take 16 photos in one second. That's not the case with mirrorless cameras now that electronic shutter is getting so good, the shutter R&D and sensor R&D are now basically the same thing. The only limit to how fast a camera can shoot is read and write speeds.

I'm sure in the DSLR world it didn't make sense to make the user of a 50mp 5DS pay even more on top of the camera for the 1-series shutter and mirror required to pull off 16 photos in a second. But now high-speed and high-res can be accomplished by basically the same thing: a fancy sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I guess I'm still struggling to understand why Canon would bring out a mirrorless 1DX when the competition is amping up the resolution? Just because a 10-year-old 1DX is 20mp is no reason for the R3 to have the same? I've been waving my credit card but for 24mp, I'll put it away and wait for the R1. My R5 is 45mp and it only seems logical that the R3 would be better and compete with the Sony A1. I hope the R1 doesn't come out with a 30mp and Canon wonders why the sales are slipping out the door.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]I'm sure in the DSLR world it didn't make sense to make the user of a 50mp 5DS pay even more on top of the camera for the 1-series shutter and mirror required to pull off 16 photos in a second. But now high-speed and high-res can be accomplished by basically the same thing: a fancy sensor.
The 5Ds did have a special mirror assembly that dampened the shock a lot more than its 5D counterpart, so Canon did spend a ton of $$$ on mechanicals.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I wonder what that would be. My R5 is incredible fast and reliable... cant think of so much improvement. Unless maybe eye-controlled AF starting Point... but I am not sure if this is realy groundbreaking. For quick work with shallow depth of field (weddings for example) this could be great.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I guess I'm still struggling to understand why Canon would bring out a mirrorless 1DX when the competition is amping up the resolution?
Because the professional sports photographers they surveyed when designing this camera didn't want 45mp or more. The person this camera is aimed at has the glass they need for the venue (i.e. they don't require heavy cropping); needs to move, edit, and publish files as fast as possible; and doesn't normally produce 36" or larger gallery prints which require immersive detail at very close viewing ranges.

I've said many times that I love high resolution 35mm imaging and would not personally want to go back to a lower resolution. Never the less I am surprised at all the hand wringing over Canon's choice here. It makes sense for this market segment. People are acting like 24mp is 4mp. It's not, and if you're not cropping heavily or making very large prints then 24mp vs. 45/50mp isn't all that noticeable or relevant.

This is 24mp with Canon's newer, better AA filter design which likely means overall IQ comparable to a 30mp 5D4 or R. (The latter will still resolve more but the former will be sharper ooc.) It beats the A9 models and can hold off the A1 until Canon releases an R1 for the niche that wants speed at a higher resolution.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0