Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018

Attachments

• canon-r3-tokyo-02 copy 2.jpg
    canon-r3-tokyo-02 copy 2.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Can anyone make anything out from the back screen? The camera is on, and some settings are displayed on the screen.

I've tried to boost the shadows, and I've enlarged the image by 2x in Gigapixel. Still can't see much, though... :(

Source: https://www.photolari.com/la-canon-eos-r3-se-deja-ver-y-mucho-en-los-juegos-olimpicos-de-tokio/

View attachment 199368
Must have been photographed with an R3. 24MP is not enough to be able to zoom in and read the screen. If it were 50MP it would have been no problem

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Since when has 24 mp or even 20mp FF been ‘low resolution’ ?
Well truthfully amongst the range of ff cameras available isn't the Sony A7s III the only one with less than 20mp at a mere 12mp?

I do think it's important to differentiate between low, as in relation to others available, and low as in not enough. Truthfully 20-24mp does rank in the lower range of available sensor resolutions, but as you well know, for many 24mp is still more than enough in terms of actual numbers and detail etc and having more is not any benefit for many.

It seems a very happy bunch of camera owners are R6 owners, the Sony A7 has stuck at 24mp for three generations, the 1D has been between 16 and 20 for 12 years despite the availability of much higher mp sensors. Similar for Nikon who's best selling FF ILC at the moment is the 24mp Z6.

The two best selling FF ILC's on Amazon at the moment are the Canon RP at 26mp and the Sony A7C at 24mp. Clearly the market is fine with 20-30mp, just a vocal sector of the forum inhabitants are hyped up on this years metric. Almost wish we were back in the 'dark' days of the DR wars....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
I guess we said the same thing in 2012 about 12 MP. Once you've hit 50MP, 20 MP feels relatively low resolution.
When 200mp is standard in 2030, 50MP will feel low resolution,
We are hard to please
I can still recall bringing home the 5D (12MP) and being concerned about storage—it's all in our mind!

Upvote 0
Agreed (CRAW from my 30 MP EOS R are a bit over 17 MB). But I'm not convinced that most shooters covering the Olympics would be shooting CRAW. I doubt RAW files would be routinely used at all, and even if RAW or CRAW is part of a workflow, for the R3 that would mean DPP would also likely need to be part of that workflow and I doubt that even more strongly.

CRAW make the camera work fine with cheap(ish) memory cards. You get a pretty good boost in performance.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Great news! This will save $$$$$ in new hard drives! With advent of "AI" software, you can get really good results from upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening. 24mp will be better for sports anyway. I tried my 5DS at an airshow and switched back to the 5D mark IV after seeing the keeper rate go way down.
This is funny. You were somehow surprised that your keeper rate went down? Using a 5Ds to shoot action is--keeping in the spirit of the Olympics--like using a shot put ball to play baseball. You'll never consistently get it in the strike zone.

The 5DS sucks big time as as action camera. What does it do, 4fps? Maybe 5fps if you hold your breath? And is focus is slow as molasses compared to the 5D IV much less current mirrorless offerings. It is truly a portrait/landscape-only camera. What we're talking about here is a Sony A1 range camera--the resolution of a 5DS, the AF speed and accuracy of a Sony A9 with an outrageously fast burst rates. And put all that into a rugged pro-level body.

The R3 may be, in Canon's mind, for the sports shooters, so be it, next bring on the pro R body for us wildlife photographers.
Well stated. The photography world doesn't revolve around just sports shooters. If the R3 is targeted solely at sports shooters, then fine. It just makes sense that Canon needs to come out with a camera that addresses the needs of wildlife shooters or there will be an exodus to manufacturers who do. Maybe this is a good thing. Nikon was struggling big time. If Nikon hits a homerun with its Z9 (staying with the baseball analogies) that might be just what it needs to stay in the game, and I think that photography needs a third competitive player.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CRAW make the camera work fine with cheap(ish) memory cards. You get a pretty good boost in performance.
I doubt shooters at the Olympics working for news outlets are worried about storage space. They are worried about file size because of the time it takes to transmit the images and get them out. RAW conversion adds time, and time is the enemy.

Upvote 0
I doubt shooters at the Olympics working for news outlets are worried about storage space. They are worried about file size because of the time it takes to transmit the images and get them out. RAW conversion adds time, and time is the enemy.

When you have thousands of images for each session it adds up. And they might also do some video. They might be under contract to supply images within the hour after an event has finished.

Everything that will require processing will slow down the process. So even 24 Mpx might be a bit much for comfort.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
When you have thousands of images for each session it adds up. And they might also do some video. They might be under contract to supply images within the hour after an event has finished.

Everything that will require processing will slow down the process. So even 24 Mpx might be a bit much for comfort.
The point is, they’re almost certainly shooting jpgs, so RAW vs. CRAW is irrelevant.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I do think it's important to differentiate between low, as in relation to others available, and low as in not enough.
Those two cases are accurate but to call a modern 24mp sensor coupled with a good modern lens, 'low resolution', is just ridiculous when you consider what that combination is capable of resolving in relation to what we, as humans, can see. In fact as I have proved to myself, it's not really resolving much less than a 50mp camera of the same format, it's just a smaller native output.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Greetings poster from 2001. Some of us on the forum are actually writing from the year 2021. So much has changed in the last 20 years (except the MPs on Canon sports bodies). ;)

There is nothing preventing speed-oriented shooters from using smaller JPEG outputs if they want smaller file sizes. It is not possible, however, to do the opposite. Consumers interested in a do-it-all body can be disappointed that Canon is not offering this yet when other manufacturers already offer it or will offer it this year. If you aren't interested in listening to "whining" about MPs, you might try reading threads that are not focused on MPs.

I agree that not every body will appeal to every shooter. I also think that people should be able to respectfully express their opinions on the thread topic without being criticized for doing so.
Yes, a typo put me back 20 years. Perhaps that was a bit confusing.

Just curious. You say Canon is not offering a do-it-all body when other are already doing so or will this year. Do you not consider the R5 a do-it-all body? What is Sony offering that is more do-it-all? Or Nikon? Does a do-it-all body need an integrated grip to be do-it-all, in which case Sony does not have one either.

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. What I do respond to is when people ignore the facts and/or intentionally mislead or just plain lie in order to advance their argument. If someone says the R3 is nothing more than an R6 with a built-in grip, they are intentionally ignoring the facts. When someone says that Canon is way behind because no one else is putting our cameras with only 24 MP in 2021, they are intentionally ignoring the facts. As was pointed out in another response, many of the top selling ILCs in 2021 are indeed 24 MP cameras.

Express your opinion and I will definitely try to respect it. Ignore the facts and lie or mislead - that's not expressing an opinion - that's just being dishonest. Sorry if I don't respect that.

Upvote 0