Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Love reading this site. But can’t help but notice the amount of people that speak for the whole photography community when they post. Can we not just speak for ourselves and accept these are all subjective and personal opinions?
re the R3, I was hoping for 30, but happy with 24. I currently shoot wildlife with a lousy 20 m43 megapixels and still manage to get most of the shots I’m after and have even managed to get some decent features through the BBC and others (granted I’ve only done wildlife for a bit over a year now). If those 24 mp perform in low light and deliver the excellent IQ expected, count me in!! My current workflow includes “enhancing” the keeper shots to 4x the resolution (with PS)and have printed them up to A2 with very acceptable results (according to buyers at least). If the price is right, the R3 will make me a very happy camper.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I can do better for DIF with the R5, which is awesome, but the 5DSR and 100-400mm II or 400mmmDO II gave me lots of keepers, and these are not easy.

View attachment 199390View attachment 199391View attachment 199392View attachment 199393View attachment 199394View attachment 199395
Great shots Alan. Just goes to prove what we all really know - great pictures can be achieved with "unsuitable" gear, in the hands of someone with enough skill and dedication. State-of-art gear is nice to own, and may marginally improve keeper rates, but often an older camera that is familiar to the user will be more intuitive to use, and produce better results.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Love reading this site. But can’t help but notice the amount of people that speak for the whole photography community when they post. Can we not just speak for ourselves and accept these are all subjective and personal opinions?
re the R3, I was hoping for 30, but happy with 24. I currently shoot wildlife with a lousy 20 m43 megapixels and still manage to get most of the shots I’m after and have even managed to get some decent features through the BBC and others (granted I’ve only done wildlife for a bit over a year now). If those 24 mp perform in low light and deliver the excellent IQ expected, count me in!! My current workflow includes “enhancing” the keeper shots to 4x the resolution (with PS)and have printed them up to A2 with very acceptable results (according to buyers at least). If the price is right, the R3 will make me a very happy camper.
Your "lousy" 20 Mpx m43 has the resolution of a 80 Mpx FF sensor, which is important if you are having to severly crop your FF nature shots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Finally got a look at the new hotshoe thanks to Instagram! Looks like some sort of direct plug towards the front of the camera and a screw in area for something like a handle near that. I definitely think we're gonna get an XLR top handle for this camera.
Thanks for sharing, awesome find... but that can't be a screw for an accessory if that's a plug at the front. You wouldn't have a screw go thru a connector. Also, it's way too small of a diameter for a screw go into it (way to easy for a user to strip the threads). Locking pin perhaps... but not an accessory screw. Unless, its a screw holding the mount itself to the camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
True. The new super resolution produces pretty good results(I am using through LR now that is has been added there as well). With my R6 it gives me the ability to crop all the way down to around 5mp and still produce a more than acceptable A3 sized print. I have only come across a small number of shots where the super resolution produces weird artifacts that I find unacceptable.

Upvote 0
Your "lousy" 20 Mpx m43 has the resolution of a 80 Mpx FF sensor, which is important if you are having to severly crop your FF nature shots.
That’s true, and it’s one of the reasons I’m happy with it. The extra reach/portability is very valuable to me. But if the R3 is a low light speed demon, will be the perfect sidekick for when things are bigger, closer, and lurking in the shadows. And it wouldn’t change how I do things in terms of post processing/storage because the file size would be pretty much the same.
I had the Sony A7RIV for a while, and those files were a pain to work with and ate hdd space at a scary pace (for a mostly unpaid photographer that is)

Upvote 0
True. The new super resolution produces pretty good results(I am using through LR now that is has been added there as well). With my R6 it gives me the ability to crop all the way down to around 5mp and still produce a more than acceptable A3 sized print. I have only come across a small number of shots where the super resolution produces weird artifacts that I find unacceptable.
I’m a sharpness/IQ nerd when it comes to my own shots I have to admit, though not so much with those of others funnily enough, so I was quite skeptical about it at first, but it works very good specially for shots where birds are well isolated..
Of course a professional might not even consider this option but on the other hand you’d think they’ll have the fieldcraft and expertise to not need it as often as I do.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That’s true, and it’s one of the reasons I’m happy with it. The extra reach/portability is very valuable to me. But if the R3 is a low light speed demon, will be the perfect sidekick for when things are bigger, closer, and lurking in the shadows. And it wouldn’t change how I do things in terms of post processing/storage because the file size would be pretty much the same.
I had the Sony A7RIV for a while, and those files were a pain to work with and ate hdd space at a scary pace (for a mostly unpaid photographer that is)

As is frequently pointed out here, the R3 will have better low light performance at a single pixel level than the R5 but very similar signal/noise when the image from both is viewed at the same size. The Canon CRAW files are only about 25Mb compared with 60 for Sony A7R IV. An R5 will give you better reach than the R3 and its FF advantages over m4/3 if it's reach you want.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As is frequently pointed out here, the R3 will have better low light performance at a single pixel level than the R5 but very similar signal/noise when the image from both is viewed at the same size. The Canon CRAW files are only about 25Mb compared with 60 for Sony A7R IV. An R5 will give you better reach than the R3 and its FF advantages over m4/3 if it's reach you want.
Yes, that I know. But I’m comparing to m43 so the low light performance will be light years away. I’m partial to integrated grips too, and the R5 has a few details that have kept me from going for it. Wont be preordering anyway. No rush. I’m happy letting others be the early adopters.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yes, that I know. But I’m comparing to m43 so the low light performance will be light years away. I’m partial to integrated grips too, and the R5 has a few details that have kept me from going for it. Wont be preordering anyway. No rush. I’m happy letting others be the early adopters.
Always wise to let others be the beta testers. Let the early adopters have their fun being first on the block, then sit back and wait while the bugs get fixed and the price drops to a more realistic level. 6 months after launch is usually about the best time to buy. But leave it longer than a year and you get tempted by the successor model.

Upvote 0
Always wise to let others be the beta testers. Let the early adopters have their fun being first on the block, then sit back and wait while the bugs get fixed and the price drops to a more realistic level. 6 months after launch is usually about the best time to buy. But leave it longer than a year and you get tempted by the successor model.
Absolutely. My eyes twinkle when the latest and greatest is announced but have usually managed to keep a cool head and never bought a new camera sooner than a few months after launch (with the exception of a gopro back in 2017). If by the time the R3 is well reviewed and tested there’re rumours of the R1, I’d have no problem waiting that much longer if it’s worth it. The luxury of doing photography only as a hobby

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Absolutely. My eyes twinkle when the latest and greatest is announced but have usually managed to keep a cool head and never bought a new camera sooner than a few months after launch (with the exception of a gopro back in 2017). If by the time the R3 is well reviewed and tested there’re rumours of the R1, I’d have no problem waiting that much longer if it’s worth it. The luxury of doing photography only as a hobby
I bought the 7DII, 5DSR, 5DIV and R5 as soon as possible after they were released and have never regretted any for an instant as they all gave me great shots from day 1.

Upvote 0
I bought the 7DII, 5DSR, 5DIV and R5 as soon as possible after they were released and have never regretted any for an instant as they all gave me great shots from day 1.
Goes to show there’s as many approaches as individuals in this forum and not one way is better than the other. I have equally enjoyed every not so new camera I’ve owned, second hand, gifted… maybe the day will come when the specs sheet convinces me so much I'm the first in line to splash the cash.

Upvote 0