First Images of the Canon EOS M3

shining example

Canon Rumors Premium
Jun 30, 2013
Tinky said:
I wouldn't buy a csc or dslr on aesthetics alone, but if it didn't look right to me, No matter how good it was, I wouldn't buy it.

Same here. You - or at least I - have to love a camera, or you won't take it with you, and then what's the point? And alongside other things like specs, usability and how it feels in your hand, aesthetics also come into that.

Agreed that the M1 looks nicer, but the look wouldn't put me off this. The price is far more likely to be why I won't buy it (anytime soon)...

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:
Optional EVF will take away the compactness of mirrorless...

Not sure why Canon didn't go with pop-up EVF ::)
no hotshoe in that, also no ILC mount. not much of a difference there now is it? an ILC mount takes a considerable more volume internally, and losing the hotshoe would be huge IMO. Not to mention that canon's external one is tilting - far more practical. and the M3 has more actual external controls than that.
I doubt they can't.

At least something like this, just to stay compact. I seriously DO NOT understand why external EVF :-\

Attachments

• pop evf.png
    pop evf.png
    471.7 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Dylan777 said:
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:

no hotshoe in that, also no ILC mount. not much of a difference there now is it? an ILC mount takes a considerable more volume internally, and losing the hotshoe would be huge IMO. Not to mention that canon's external one is tilting - far more practical. and the M3 has more actual external controls than that.
I doubt they can't.

At least something like this.
and that's alot bigger than an M and has a piddly 16:9 screen that blows for photography. does the smaller A5000 have an EVF? the A5100? any of the PEN's? the X-A1/2? no? think there's a reason? why yes.. they are probably .. gasp. SMALL?

The A5000/A5100 are around the same size as the M - they dont' have EVF's either. they actually have LESS manual controls as this M3, and don't even have a hotshoe (well not that sony has a flash system)

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 245
  • compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 227
Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:

I doubt they can't.

and that's alot bigger than an M and has a piddly 16:9 screen that blows for photography. does teh smaller A5000 have an EVF? the A5100? any of the PEN's? the X-A1/2? no? think there's a reason? why yes.. they are probably .. gasp. SMALL?
Both EOS-M and a6000 are not pocketable cameras. Shooting in the afternoon without EVF...uhmm ::)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Dylan777 said:
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:
rrcphoto said:
Dylan777 said:

I doubt they can't.

and that's alot bigger than an M and has a piddly 16:9 screen that blows for photography. does teh smaller A5000 have an EVF? the A5100? any of the PEN's? the X-A1/2? no? think there's a reason? why yes.. they are probably .. gasp. SMALL?
Both EOS-M and a6000 are not pocketable cameras. Shooting in the afternoon without EVF...uhmm ::)

I have one full spectrum M that I use predominately for IR. that only gets used in the brightest of sunny days (the only time you can actually really shoot IR). with MAX brightness; it works. have you actually tried one?

and just because they are not pocketable to you - doesn't necessarily make it so that people want bigger cameras.

so yeah, your premise that they could add an EVF without changing the size - still think that? they will have to add at least around 3/4" to the width and also gimp the LCD.

if you really want that - get a sony?

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
shining example said:
Tinky said:
I wouldn't buy a csc or dslr on aesthetics alone, but if it didn't look right to me, No matter how good it was, I wouldn't buy it.

Same here. You - or at least I - have to love a camera, or you won't take it with you, and then what's the point? And alongside other things like specs, usability and how it feels in your hand, aesthetics also come into that.

You guys should really switch to Nikon...

2846428525.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
shining example said:
Tinky said:

2846428525.jpg

pfff Lunar. Go big or go home.

Attachments

• hasselblad-lunar-11.jpg
    hasselblad-lunar-11.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,090
Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
shining example said:
Tinky said:

2846428525.jpg
HeHe +5

Upvote 0
IF (BIG if) the photos are real, then the is NO EVF, also just a tilt screen (NO Flippy screen like the 70D).

While I could live with a $240.00 EVF-DC1, the lack of a PC (Prontor Compur) port stops the use of studio flash if I'm using the EVF-DC1 EVF. BTW I Always have a Profoto 600B in my car's trunk, YMMV ;)

Is the M3 good or bad ??? It depends on what you expect from a Mirrorless camera. I'm looking for a DSLR replacement, NOT an up-dated Kitty-Kamera, YMMV.

So I guess my long wait (for Mirrorless announcements) is about over, and there may be be no more Canon cameras in my future :(

BTW I'm fast for an old man, an d I'm sure I can still outrun the door :)

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
neuroanatomist said:
shining example said:
Tinky said:

2846428525.jpg

pfff Lunar. Go big or go home.

Not as Gaudy as the BRIKK

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
c.d.embrey said:
IF (BIG if) the photos are real, then the is NO EVF, also just a tilt screen (NO Flippy screen like the 70D).

While I could live with a $240.00 EVF-DC1, the lack of a PC (Prontor Compur) port stops the use of studio flash if I'm using the EVF-DC1 EVF. BTW I Always have a Profoto 600B in my car's trunk, YMMV ;)

Is the M3 good or bad ??? It depends on what you expect from a Mirrorless camera. I'm looking for a DSLR replacement, NOT an up-dated Kitty-Kamera, YMMV.

So I guess my long wait (for Mirrorless announcements) is about over, and there may be be no more Canon cameras in my future :(

You can optical trigger the Profoto with the pop up flash.

Don't see failings, see opportunities and solutions.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
privatebydesign said:
c.d.embrey said:

don't most normal monolights now ignore E-TTL preflash?

or an optical slave trigger works.

or gasp maybe just use the tilting back LCD?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I think Canon sees the mirrorless market as an upgrade path for those currently using smartphones. Therefore no EVF necessary or even desired. Only time will tell if the marketing strategy works, but personally, I see no real reason to market this camera to those who prefer a viewfinder (whether EVF or OVF). Those folks already have Interchangeable Lens Cameras and quite likely it is a Canon DSLR.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:

I could, but why would I want to add a source (that adds light to the scene) that is NOT where I want it ???

don't most normal monolights now ignore E-TTL pre flash?
A Profot 600B is a pack, NOT a moonlight.

or gasp maybe just use the tilting back LCD?

One of the great things about the 'net is there is always someone who thinks they can do a better job of running your business, than you can :(

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2012
Quasimodo said:
This camera is probably going to be ok. At the risk of sounding superficial (which I probably am :) )... Is it me, or is this camera really ugly? I have been hoping for several years that Canon would release a mirrorless camera the likes of Nikon Df? Lately I have been on an analoge trip (I saved up money for the 7DII, and in the last minute used my money to buy a Mamiya RZ67 pro II +++), and going around shooting film with my beautiful Canon A-1 is great. I would love to have its digital brother or sister :)

It's not you, or at least not just you, because the first thought that came to my mind when I saw this camera was, oh my goodness, why did Canon make it ugly? I was surprised, because I've always thought Canon made really nice looking cameras. Way better looking than the ones made by some of its competitors. I buy my electronics by what they have in terms of technology but after that, design becomes an important second consideration. I view Canon as sort of the Apple of the camera world – – it understood that great technology can be beautiful on the outside too.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:

Are you telling me I should have used a Canon 580EX to trigger Profoto packs ??? I guess that using Pocket Wizards with 1DsII, 5D2 and 5D3 cameras was a HUGE mistake ??? After using Pocket Wizards, for all these years, it turns out that myself and all my Commercial Shooter friends were doing it wrong.Who knew.

Another person who thinks they know more about my business than I do ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
dak723 said:
I think Canon sees the mirrorless market as an upgrade path for those currently using smartphones. Therefore no EVF necessary or even desired. Only time will tell if the marketing strategy works, but personally, I see no real reason to market this camera to those who prefer a viewfinder (whether EVF or OVF). Those folks already have Interchangeable Lens Cameras and quite likely it is a Canon DSLR.
pretty much. also when you consider that canon fairly easily captured nearly as much marketshare in japan as Panasonic without even really trying - they must have some half decent idea what they are targeting.

let's face it there's a lot more causal photographers than there is enthusiasts. if the M line is going to sooner or later supplant most of the rebel line it would make sense that it's focus isn't at the 70D/7DII level of performance and interoperability. and besides, that area is just too jammed packed with Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung all fighting over what is probably around 5% of the total marketshare - why on earth would canon want to go there.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
c.d.embrey said:
One of the great things about the 'net is there is always someone who thinks they can do a better job of running your business, than you can :(

you open up that door when you call something a kitty kamera and unsuitable to your exacting standards.

Kitty-Kamera comes from the Japanese Hello Kitty brand that is aimed at young women http://www.sanrio.com

My "exacting standards" are simply Pro Standards. I want a Pro Mirrorless camera, to replace my DSLRs. The M3 ain't it ... simple as that.

Upvote 0