Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
x-vision said:
Canon Rumors said:
Specs
Dual DIGIC V

The Digic 5+ processor is a dual-core (quad-core?) Digic.
So, no need to put two Digic 5s in a camera when a single Digic 5+ will do.

This is [CR0].

A dual core processor is not twice as powerful as a single core processor. The two processors have to share I/O, and this slows them down. On single threaded applications a single core processor will outperform a multi-core processor, on multi-threaded applications the multi-core processor will be faster. answers are never simple, but one thing is true, two seperate single core processors will ALWAYS outperform the version where they are combined on the same chip.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
gmrza said:
stoneysnapper said:
I also think it will have built in wifi and gps like the 6D has.

As long as it has a mag-alloy chassis, it most probably will not have integrated GPS and WiFi. The mag-alloy chassis acts as a Faraday cage, preventing decent radio reception/transmission. Canon would probably compromise on the integrity of the chassis in order to get the wireless antennas into a position where reasonable radio performance is possible.

you make a tiny hole in the metal body and run the antenna out through it, the antenna can be under the rubber grip, or anywhere else it makes sense. Works for ELT beacons.....

Also, do not confuse a faraday cage with RF shielding....... two different problems....

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
neuroanatomist said:
x-vision said:
Canon Rumors said:
Specs
Dual DIGIC V

This spec is enough to tell that the rumor is fake.

The Digic 5+ processor is a dual-core (quad-core?) Digic.
So, no need to put two Digic 5s in a camera when a single Digic 5+ will do.

This is [CR0].

The 1D X has dual Digic 5+, so presumably that's needed for 18 MP at 14 fps. Guess what? 18.1 MP x 14 fps = 253.4 MP/s, and that value divided by the rumored 24.2 MP equals 10.5 fps, very close to the rumored 10.2 fps (and assuming no dedicated Digic 4 for metering, the job would be done by the Digic 5+'s, dropping the max throughput slightly). The 7D has dual Digic 4 (18 MP x 8 fps), and so does the 1DIV (16 MP x 10 fps).

Not saying I believe the rumor, but it's pretty certain that dual Digic 5+ would be needed to drive a data throughput (MP-fps combo) that's basically the same as the 1D X.
The Rithmetic certainly adds up! Anyway, I am not in a hurry. Spent my loot for the 5D3 :)

May be later when the price comes down - I do miss the reach of a crop body... And I don't have the moolah for a 500mm or 600mm Canon lens :(. We'll see... I'll wait for the vapors to condense, solidify and prove to be usable :)

Upvote 0
AdamJ said:
But high frame-rate Canons tend to do whole-number frames per second, not 10.2, hence my scepticism.
The (iirc) 50D was in the same bracket and rated 6.3fps.
Not that it makes any sense - with the variable delays introduced by the aperture control, the shutter cycle or flash metering w. 5 individuel TTL-groups if one goes for the worst case.
Looking at the 1Dx and its shutter delay-CF: w/o additional limiting that alone could change the framerate by about 1/3 fps.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
gmrza said:
If we look at what people are unhappy about with the 7D, generally it is to do with noise and image sharpness. I am not aware of anyone being unhappy with the pixel count. Canon may however need to up the pixel count to 24MP to match Nikon and Sony, rather than to address any real need - i.e. for marketing reasons. Assuming Canon continues to flow the same sensor down through its APS-C range, that would be a reason to move to 24MP. - In the market for APS-C (and especially entry-level) DSLRs a lot of customers are still comparing "mega-pickles".
May be in 3 years time an older 70D or a 800D... That might put the crop reach in my financial ballpark :)

Upvote 0
MichaelHodges said:
Canon Rumors said:
<li>24.2mp APS-C Sensor</li>

I hope this isn't true. I'd actually like to see Canon knock back the MP on the 7D II to 15 or 14. While I really like my 7D, the noise levels at ISO 100 are not what I'd classify as "ideal".

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

I hope this is true. Maybe they actually have a new technology incorporated in the new sensor. @18MP, the probability of Canon using the same old tech is higher than with 24MP because I think they had hit already the maximum performance for the old tech. Who knows, maybe they are using a newer tech as used to that rumored high MP 3D.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The 1D X has dual Digic 5+, so presumably that's needed for 18 MP at 14 fps. Guess what? 18.1 MP x 14 fps = 253.4 MP/s, and that value divided by the rumored 24.2 MP equals 10.5 fps, very close to the rumored 10.2 fps

Right. I'm sure that this is how this lame 7DII rumor came into being in the first place.

But the 7DII will not have dual Digics. Take my word for it.
It will have a single Digic 5+, same as the 5DIII and the 6D.

Here's another math that you can do:
The 1DX has two Digic 5+ processors and a 16-channel readout (official specs).
And the 5DIII has a single Digic 5+ and an 8-channel readout (again, official specs).
Therefore, it can be concluded that the Digic 5+ processor has an 8-channel readout.

Also, the 6D is capable of 20mp @4.5fps with a single Digic 5+ ... and just 4 readout channels (again, official specs).
This puts the throughput of the Digic 5+ processor at 20*4.5/4 = 22.5 MP/s per channel.
That's a throughput of 180 MP/s total for all 8 channels on the Digic 5+ processor.

Realistically, Canon will not go over 10fps in 7DII and will not put dual Digics in it.
So, I'd say that the 7DII will be spec'd anywhere between 16mp @10fs and 22mp @8fps ... with a single Digic 5+.

I'd prefer if Canon puts 16mp/10fps in the 7DII but it's more likely that they will go for 20mp/8fps.

One thing is certain, though: the dual Digic V spec is fake and this whole 7DII rumor is a lame [CR0] rumor.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Concerning pixel densities.....

24.2M on an APS-C sized sensor equates to 63.5M on a full frame sensor.... (864mm FF / 329mm APS-C) * 24.2

This could be the "new sensor technology" or at the very least, a different arrangement of the old technology. It is an interesting number because 63.5M has not cropped up (pun intended) in discussions of high megapixel cameras.

Upvote 0

fotoray

5D Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
callaesthetics said:
Can't canon just design a LP-E6 II....same shape, better internals and work with any camera that takes the LP-E6

+1 I have 7D and 5D MkIII and would hope that LP-E6 can continue in 7D MkII. I expect that a LP-E6 II, whatever that may be, would not be compatible with 7D and 5D MkIII, regardless of the chosen shape. I have 5 LP-E6 copies today and a 7D upgrade to 7D MkII with LP-E6 compatibility would be very attractive - and makes sense!!

A dual Digic 5+ processor is a logical choice for the 7D MkII, although I get along fine with 8 fps with my 7D.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
MichaelHodges said:
Canon Rumors said:
<li>24.2mp APS-C Sensor</li>

I hope this isn't true. I'd actually like to see Canon knock back the MP on the 7D II to 15 or 14. While I really like my 7D, the noise levels at ISO 100 are not what I'd classify as "ideal".

For the billionth time, more pixels does not mean more noise. In fact, given the same basic sensor performance, more pixels means less noise (given the same total sensor area, of course). This is because bigger pixels do nothing but simple block averaging while noise reduction software uses far more sophisticated approaches to reducing noise than that.

Think of it this way - a perfect sensor would record each photon's location. This is sort of equivalent to "infinite" pixel count.

Upvote 0
If 10fps is true, I'm also hoping the current 19 point af of the existing 7D can produce enough keepers, if not upgrading the af system a bit as well. I definitely have more keepers on my 1d mark iii for action shooting than I ever did when I shot a 7D which is why I sold it. Although I'm sure IQ is going to be the concern most people will prioritize.

Upvote 0

LoneRider

Profession Geek.
Oct 4, 2011
Great state of Texas
gmrza said:
stoneysnapper said:
I also think it will have built in wifi and gps like the 6D has.

As long as it has a mag-alloy chassis, it most probably will not have integrated GPS and WiFi. The mag-alloy chassis acts as a Faraday cage, preventing decent radio reception/transmission. Canon would probably compromise on the integrity of the chassis in order to get the wireless antennas into a position where reasonable radio performance is possible.

Interesting, if Apple can get virtually every digital cell phone band, blue tooth, GPS, and WiFi out of an iPhone 5, WiFi and GPS can be done on a full size DLSR body :) I am guessing.

Beyond that, I would love GPS, 18-24M pixels, with better noise/ISO performance. Otherwise, after upgrading from a 50D to a 7D, I am very happy.

Also, as far as the crop sensor, I am happy. I would hate to have to replace my EF-S lenses.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
For the billionth time, more pixels does not mean more noise. In fact, given the same basic sensor performance, more pixels means less noise (given the same total sensor area, of course). This is because bigger pixels do nothing but simple block averaging while noise reduction software uses far more sophisticated approaches to reducing noise than that.

Think of it this way - a perfect sensor would record each photon's location. This is sort of equivalent to "infinite" pixel count.

There are a couple factors here. Hand-holding ability suffers when pixel density is too high, reducing the 7D's effectiveness as a hand-held wildlife camera. The people I shoot with have had to make the adjustment, and it's kind of a bummer. On top of that is encountering diffraction earlier on. Problematic for landscape shooters.

There are several drawbacks to cramming more pixels on small sensors. You can take as many shortcuts as you like, but eventually physics will emerge victorious, thus the booming full frame market.....

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
gmrza said:
unfocused said:
I'm not going to get overly excited about CR1 specs from an "unknown source."

Reserve judgment on a sensor until real specs and results are known (probably won't know that until several months after the announcement). Consensus on this forum seems to be that noise and dynamic range improvements are more important than the number of pixels. Absent a major change/breakthrough in sensor design, I would be surprised if Canon ups the pixel count of the APS-C sensor above that of its full frame offerings.

New battery is a mild disappointment, but I assume Canon would make the change because they have to for design/engineering reasons.

Please, let them keep at least one CF card slot in a dual card system.

New ergonomic design is too vague to warrant comment at this point.

All in all, I'm more excited that we are finally getting rumors about a 7DII. At this point, the content of those rumors aren't as important as the fact that there are rumors circulating.

If we look at what people are unhappy about with the 7D, generally it is to do with noise and image sharpness. I am not aware of anyone being unhappy with the pixel count. Canon may however need to up the pixel count to 24MP to match Nikon and Sony, rather than to address any real need - i.e. for marketing reasons. Assuming Canon continues to flow the same sensor down through its APS-C range, that would be a reason to move to 24MP. - In the market for APS-C (and especially entry-level) DSLRs a lot of customers are still comparing "mega-pickles".

7D is not really an entry level camera. I wouldn't mind 22 or 20 megapixel. Hell, even 18 would be ok. Just better high iso and sharpness would be great update.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.