First Round of EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
New Ergonomic Design

Why is everyone assuming this means smaller? I find the design of a 1-series body to be much more ergonomic. :)

It's funny that this statement means different things to different people. My reaction to that part was that it probably entailed a redesign of the controls, rather than the form factor of the body.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
New Ergonomic Design
Why is everyone assuming this means smaller? I find the design of a 1-series body to be much more ergonomic. :)
Yep the 1-Series ergonomics must be used to be fully appreciated. While I like most aspects of my 5D3, the 1D4 is streets ahead in the ergonomics department. If the 7DII can close the gap somewhat, then that can only be a good thing. Sports/action/BIF shooters who are lamenting the demise of APS-H will no doubt be looking keenly at this announcement. The new battery? I can only assume it's a higher horsepower item than the LP-E6 to drive the relevant performance benchmarks along. If Canon gets it right, the 7DII will be an absolute killer.

-PW

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
unfocused said:
I'm not going to get overly excited about CR1 specs from an "unknown source."

Reserve judgment on a sensor until real specs and results are known (probably won't know that until several months after the announcement). Consensus on this forum seems to be that noise and dynamic range improvements are more important than the number of pixels. Absent a major change/breakthrough in sensor design, I would be surprised if Canon ups the pixel count of the APS-C sensor above that of its full frame offerings.

New battery is a mild disappointment, but I assume Canon would make the change because they have to for design/engineering reasons.

Please, let them keep at least one CF card slot in a dual card system.

New ergonomic design is too vague to warrant comment at this point.

All in all, I'm more excited that we are finally getting rumors about a 7DII. At this point, the content of those rumors aren't as important as the fact that there are rumors circulating.

If we look at what people are unhappy about with the 7D, generally it is to do with noise and image sharpness. I am not aware of anyone being unhappy with the pixel count. Canon may however need to up the pixel count to 24MP to match Nikon and Sony, rather than to address any real need - i.e. for marketing reasons. Assuming Canon continues to flow the same sensor down through its APS-C range, that would be a reason to move to 24MP. - In the market for APS-C (and especially entry-level) DSLRs a lot of customers are still comparing "mega-pickles".

Upvote 0
pwp said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon Rumors said:
New Ergonomic Design
Yep the 1-Series ergonomics must be used to be fully appreciated. While I like most aspects of my 5D3, the 1D4 is streets ahead in the ergonomics department. If the 7DII can close the gap somewhat, then that can only be a good thing. Sports/action/BIF shooters who are lamenting the demise of APS-H will no doubt be looking keenly at this announcement. The new battery? I can only assume it's a higher horsepower item than the LP-E6 to drive the relevant performance benchmarks along. If Canon gets it right, the 7DII will be an absolute killer.

-PW

Indeed... I am eagerly awaiting it...

Upvote 0
As did I.

AdamJ said:
ashmadux said:
Anything would be better than the current 7d's sensor. iso 100 noise? check. mushy compared to rebels? check. Sold?

CHECK.

heck if they changed nothing, and gave it only a new sensor i would buy it again.

You had a faulty 7D. We know already.

Upvote 0
There is one thing that would get me to upgrade from my 7D to a potential 7D Mark II: A massively improved sensor.
To be more specific: Better noise performance and dynamic range.

Even at very low ISO settings, skies can sometimes be slightly grainy and there's almost no information to pull out of the shadows. And what makes it even worse is that this is an area, where older Canon APS-C sensors were actually better at.

I don't care about the resolution of the sensor, as long as the image quality improvements are there. If they aren't, I'll happily keep my current 7D because overall, it's still an awesome camera.

Actually, I'm sometimes surprised at how well some of the high-ISO pictures turn out (I've had some great keepers which were shot at ISO5000), but of course any improvement here would be highly welcome as well.

Another thing I'd love to have would be an adjustable minimum shutter speed, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that it will be there (at least in the same way the 5D3 supports it).

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2012
dhofmann said:
Maybe the 7DII will have the rumored new revolutionary sensor with better high-ISO performance and more dynamic range than its predecessors and anything else on the market.

One can only hope. Although given the rumor that the 7D2 was delayed due to sensor design issues, and the fact that it seems to make sense to introduce new fab technology on higher yield APS-C sensors, it is at least a reasonable bet.

Upvote 0
I doubt that the sensor will be any new tech at all, it states they are going to use Digic 5 if its true, so there you have it, duel processors for the 10fps and Noise reduction to be as good as the 5D3, That will be it, Im guessing a lesser version of the 5D3 AF also,

I believe all the new tech will be added to the High Mega Pixel camera when that finally gets announced.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
aznable said:
Dylan777 said:
No more crop sensor for me....bring on the 5D 4 ;D

why not? you could have a decent wide angle lens like sigma 8-16 or tokina 11-16 insted that canon horror you carry in your bag :'(

16-35 II might not out perform the Nikon 14-24, but sigma and tokina ??? ::) ??? ::).....I don't think so

Upvote 0
As a 7D owner if I was to change anything it would be improved noise perf which largely seems to be a given in any version upgrade but more importantly improved AF. I've taken a lot of good images with my 7D, I had major issues at 200 and 400 ISO when I bought it and sent it back for repair. I'm not fully convinced it was fixed but it was better. The noise performance of the 7D when it was launched was considered to be very good and its what attracted me to it from Olympus however I have to say I was disappointed. At 100 ISO the Olympus E-3 was better, most of my shots tend to be at 100 so it was massive disappointment in that regard however once my 200 and 400 issues were sorted anything beyond 400 was fine and up to to 3200 was usable depending on that use.

My major grief though without a doubt was AF, as I say I've taken a lot of good shots but I'd have taken a lot more with a reliable AF. I've bought Focal Software to see if it improves it any, hopefully it will.

Mega pixels are not a concern, 18 is fine, I just hope that we dont get a 20 odd megapixle sensor without improved noise levels.

In terms of price I dont think this will be higher than the 6D, I think for what thats worth it will be circa £200 less. It might be silly but I just cant see Canon price a camera with a lower numerical code i.e. 7 v 6 at a higher price, it just doesnt sit right, if it was to be the case then the 6D should have been an 8D maybe. Sounds daft? Well maybe but its consistent I think with Canons current policy, the higher the No, the cheaper the camera i.e comparing latest models. One thing for sure Canon have a chance to put out a very good camera that could have a lot of Sports shooters after it.

I also think it will have built in wifi and gps like the 6D has.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
x-vision said:
Canon Rumors said:
Specs
Dual DIGIC V

This spec is enough to tell that the rumor is fake.

The Digic 5+ processor is a dual-core (quad-core?) Digic.
So, no need to put two Digic 5s in a camera when a single Digic 5+ will do.

This is [CR0].

The 1D X has dual Digic 5+, so presumably that's needed for 18 MP at 14 fps. Guess what? 18.1 MP x 14 fps = 253.4 MP/s, and that value divided by the rumored 24.2 MP equals 10.5 fps, very close to the rumored 10.2 fps (and assuming no dedicated Digic 4 for metering, the job would be done by the Digic 5+'s, dropping the max throughput slightly). The 7D has dual Digic 4 (18 MP x 8 fps), and so does the 1DIV (16 MP x 10 fps).

Not saying I believe the rumor, but it's pretty certain that dual Digic 5+ would be needed to drive a data throughput (MP-fps combo) that's basically the same as the 1D X.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
stoneysnapper said:
I also think it will have built in wifi and gps like the 6D has.

As long as it has a mag-alloy chassis, it most probably will not have integrated GPS and WiFi. The mag-alloy chassis acts as a Faraday cage, preventing decent radio reception/transmission. Canon would probably compromise on the integrity of the chassis in order to get the wireless antennas into a position where reasonable radio performance is possible.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I have a 7D as one of my 2 Canon DSLRs. I love this camera, it's my 'go to' for 95% of my photography. I really like the crop / reach advantage that APS-C (1.6x crop) sensor cameras can bring, plus there are now some great EF-S lenses / 3rd party lenses for crop-sensored cameras. ;)

My thoughts on the CR0 specs above are:
- 18MP is fine - but if 24.2MP are clean, why not?! (more cropability!)
- 10.2 fps would be awesome. Even 8 fps works well for me.
- it needs enough processing power... sure, give it 2x Digic 5+ CPUs
- no need to change the design, my 7D fits me so well
- please keep the same battery... pretty please?!
- Feb 2013 announcement would be good so that towards Christmas 2013 (ie a year from now, which is our summer here in Australia) - prices will be lower. I would only plan to get a replacement / upgrade for my current 7D if / when it's on its last legs.

Cheers and regards! 8)

Paul

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.