Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

R5: no overheating in 4K@60p (external recording) looks pretty damn good to me. 19 mins 8K in one take also seems not tooo bad to me.

I wonder if the camera lay flat on a table with no convection from underneath or if it was mounted "free" on a tripod. Also, Canon recommends an external fan during recording, that might also greatly improve cooling.
That’s 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the ef to rf adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out. I’m glad that I didn’t buy it and needless to say my friend who did is pretty disappointed. I love 1d bodies

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I understand, YouTube is a great platform to be heard, which is why the overheating and cooldown issue is having a spotlight shone on it. But how many in the real world market would pony up for a video oriented mirrorless camera ala the A7SIII?

How many of you would buy a Canon EOSR5C?
  • It would compromise weather sealing
  • Have vents and a silent fan
  • Full Size HDMI 2.1
  • Delete 29 min 59 second time limit for essentially unlimited recording in all codecs, framerates & bitrates
  • Same photo capabilities as R5
  • Probably cost $4399
Maybe it could add a few extras like Built in ND filters, Shutter Angle Priority, Better Audio Preamps, but will not include them for now since the above seems doable for Canon. If it gets all these video extras it's probably a $5K camera at that point.

Would you buy this camera?
Yes. Yes I would

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Unfortunately there are not enough stills only photographers left to warrant it. At least that's what Canon believes or they would offer one.

Also, the resale value of such a camera would likely be low given the small market for it.

How is offering zero video capabilities better than some, even if not unlimited. That 8K is still useful for short clips or a few minutes, adverts, wildlife shots for frame grab. Same for the 4K120p. Extremely useful for anything where 5-10 minute shots are enough.

The R5 is an almost perfect stills camera, what else would anyone want? Except for smaller price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why should it heat up in stills shooting?

The Sony's do, the sensor is running 24/7 when it's turned ON. In fact, this was the first point we made to the DSLR crowd when they complained of MILC's overheating, it's a TINY over clocked video camera, one that simply grabs HQ stills too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
it does annoy me that I have to pay extra for video features I don't really need AND that don't appear to work satisfactorily.

How do you figure you’re paying extra? R5 barely costs more than 5D4 did at launch without any real video features.

$3499 in 2016 = $3760 in 2020. I paid $3700 for my R5 preorder. It’s a bargain.

Whether or not video works ‘satisfactorily’ depends on who you ask...

But what do I know?

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
How is offering zero video capabilities better than some, even if not unlimited. That 8K is still useful for short clips or a few minutes, adverts, wildlife shots for frame grab. Same for the 4K120p. Extremely useful for anything where 5-10 minute shots are enough.

The R5 is an almost perfect stills camera, what else would anyone want? Except for smaller price.

I’ll say it again. This R5 costs little more than the 5D4 did at launch. Roughly $100 more for a camera that is better in every single way.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
That’s 19 min from a cold body with no foreplay, you take a pic or two and fiddle in the menus that time begins to drop. I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the ef to rf adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out. I’m glad that I didn’t buy it and needless to say my friend who did is pretty disappointed. I love 1d bodies
Wait what? Let me just understand for a second... You didn't shoot any video? Only stills?

Upvote 0
This is what worries me. I am a photographer and don't care about video. I've been a Canon shooter since 1969 and really wanted a Canon stills camera with face/eye AF, IBIS and high resolution. Was going to by an R5 as this would have answered my dreams...I shall now wait to see what comes out from actual documented testing from using it as a camera...not a video recorder.

Canon marketing screwed the pooch here, they have made some of the finest (sponsored) photojournalist adds on the planet, world class photographers using their kit. Where are these stories today? Canon aren't going to convince any experienced still shooters to drop their DSLR's based on the recommendations of a YouTube Vlogger.

Sony have cornered the market with Social Media photographers. Why are Canon trying to re-invent that wheel, instead of talking to their VASTLY larger stills pro user base?

This was the last great Canon video advertorial I saw, selling the digital workflow to analogue shooters:

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Canon marketing screwed the pooch here, they have made some of the finest (sponsored) photojournalist adds on the planet, world class photographers using their kit. Where are these stories today? Canon aren't going to convince any experienced still shooters to drop their DSLR's based on the recommendations of a YouTube Vlogger.

Sony have cornered the market with Social Media photographers. Why are Canon trying to re-invent that wheel, instead of talking to their VASTLY larger stills pro user base?

This was the last great Canon video advertorial I saw, selling the digital workflow to analogue shooters:

Vloggers as influencers is slowly losing traction. With TikTok being banned later today, it will be dying a quicker death.

Upvote 0
Personally my solution would be for Canon to build an R5 with ZERO video capabilities. I do not shoot video...again just my personal take on stills/video cameras. Each to their own.

It should've been marketed like the 5Dll was, emphasis on STILLS CAMERA-- "Meet the R5, your mirrorless 5D, it has IBIS, EyeAF, Animal Face Detect and more........ (it'll even shoot some pretty decent video, if needs must)."

The 5Dll was a dogs bollock for video work, it was a nightmare. A whole cinematography ecosystem sprung up around it, Zacuto innovated their Z-Finders and all sorts of rigs for it. BUT EVERYONE was thrilled with the 5Dll, as it was never sold as the filmmakers be all end all.

It's all in the marketing approach, Canon under promised, and the camera over delivered with the 5Dll.

I think the CANON R5 is fine, just miss marketed. WHERE ARE THE STILL PHOTOGRAPHERS ACCOUNTS CANON. DOES THIS THING SHOOT FAST AND RESPONSIVELY IN STILLS MODE?

Wouldn't it have been a different story IF we'd have woken up to a barrage of YouTube adds featuring WORLD CLASS STILLS SHOOTERS all singing the R5's praises for being a MASSIVE upgrade over their technologically aging 5D's. "This thing's BRILLIANT, I can actually nail the eyes, EVERY TIME with the old EF 50/1.2, and that lens was a nightmare to focus off the ground glass accurately.............."

We could go on and on here.

Upvote 0
Unpleasant. Less than 25 mins indicates an inferior product. To me.

So in conclusion, R5 is a fantastic stills camera, but not so good for video unless you just want to use the it's 8K video for casual use. However, we might soon see an active cooling adapter for the camera that would make it an awesome stills and video camera unmatched by anything out there.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The observed cooldown periods suggest that the heat is not conducted effectively away from the internal hot spots. This can be either by design or due to out-of-spec thermal interfaces.
2h cooldown really seems excessive.... and can likely be improved..

This is the problem, along with stills shooting eating into record times. Both caused by insufficient conduction of heat away from hot spots. Those record times are respectable if you can get them (or 80-90% of them) after heavy stills shooting, and if you have more record time (not just 1 or 2m) after a short break.

A 2+ hour break, which for some environments still only restores a few minutes of record time, is unacceptable and a sign of a problem. Who knows if Canon can easily fix it or will. But it's such a let down because these two cameras are so well designed otherwise, and they have the FF 4k IQ that video guys have been begging for.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I understand, YouTube is a great platform to be heard, which is why the overheating and cooldown issue is having a spotlight shone on it. But how many in the real world market would pony up for a video oriented mirrorless camera ala the A7SIII?

• Full Size HDMI 2.1
  • Delete 29 min 59 second time limit for essentially unlimited recording in all codecs, framerates & bitrates
  • Probably cost $4399
Maybe it could add a few extras like Built in ND filters, Shutter Angle Priority, Better Audio Preamps, but will not include them for now since the above seems doable for Canon. If it gets all these video extras it's probably a $5K camera at that point.

It would sell like hot cakes (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011

For real?

This is the PR disaster I mentioned in the other thread in response to stills-only guys saying "I don't care because it doesn't overheat shooting stills." Looking at the fact that stills shooting severely eats into video record time I openly wondered what would happen with R5's in truly hot locations. EVF+DPAF is clearly heating up the camera and it would be foolish to assume that could never, ever be a problem with stills (or LQ 4k30). If people start to experience thermal shutdown shooting stills it will be a PR disaster. Canon will have to address the issue, with a recall and modified hardware if necessary. I've been shooting in so many situations with 90+F and even 100+F weather and my DSLRs have never skipped a beat. A camera which has any risk what-so-ever of thermal shutdown shooting stills is DOA for so many photographers.

I got so excited with this release. I wasn't ready to pre-order but I figured I would add an R5 by year's end. Now? Now I think I should order another 5Ds on eBay before new stock runs out, just to have a spare FF body. Stick with DSLRs for a few more years and if my video itch grows beyond my current gear just add an X-T3 with EF adapter. I don't know how Canon engineering let this one slip by.

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018

• Full Size HDMI 2.1
  • Probably cost $4399

If they could have resolved the overheating/cooldown issues they should have. Such a camera would have remained permanently above S1H prices ($4k). As is, it will have to drop to A7riii/Z7(s) prices in not to distant future (~$3k). Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
For any extended recording I will simply install a removable Fujipoly thermal pad (0.5mm) with 5v 40m x 40m low profile (10mm) fansink. Either a Radian or Enzotech CPU cooler (5v). The Tiltan kit will be available at the end of the month. I think I can get better numbers with my own external fansink. Thermal pads are removable. Since my recordings will be short I shouldn't need the Peltier device that often.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
For any extended recording I will simply install a removable Fujipoly thermal pad (0.5mm) with 5v 40m x 40m low profile (10mm) fansink. Either a Radian or Enzotech CPU cooler (5v). The Tiltan kit will be available at the end of the month. I think I can get better numbers with my own external fansink. Thermal pads are removable. Since my recordings will be short I shouldn't need the Peltier device that often.
The problem is that you know what you are doing.

Upvote 0