Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

neuroanatomist said:
Tugela said:
neuroanatomist said:
Talys said:
On a side note, I have never understood the point of the power switch by the shutter, cluttering the most valuable real estate on the body. When I'm engaged in photography, I turn on the camera, and leave it on for hours.

Don't try that with your mirrorless. Maybe that's why they put the power switch there, to remind you to turn the camera off after every shot, to conserve the limited battery power. :p

What the hell are you talking about? I leave my camera on for hours and don't have an issue with battery life. Batteries on my old DSLRs lasted as long as the batteries on my current MILC. In fact, you DON'T want to switch your camera off while using it, otherwise you run into warmup issues on restarting.

What uses battery life for the most part is leaving CAF on since driving the lens motors sucks up a lot of power. That is an issue with DSLRs as well.

I love the whooshing sound that occurs when humor sails right over someone's head.
+1 on the whoosh!

What warm-up issues? My gear comes up just fine - both dSLR and MILC. I do tend to turn off the mirrorless bodies much more frequently for just the reasons mentioned.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

CanonFanBoy said:
Tugela said:
neuroanatomist said:
Talys said:
On a side note, I have never understood the point of the power switch by the shutter, cluttering the most valuable real estate on the body. When I'm engaged in photography, I turn on the camera, and leave it on for hours.

Don't try that with your mirrorless. Maybe that's why they put the power switch there, to remind you to turn the camera off after every shot, to conserve the limited battery power. :p

In fact, you DON'T want to switch your camera off while using it, otherwise you run into warm up issues on restarting.

^Issues^ Hmmm... another chink in Sony's mythical armour. No problem with battery life, but you'd better not turn it off. Warm up issues. :eek:

I turn my DSLR off and on with no issues at all. Don't see how a Sony battery lasts as long if "... you don't want to turn it off. " Sounds like a warning to me.

+1 to the whoosh ;D

But Tugela actually brought up a good point. You turn a 5D off, and you turn it on, and you take a picture. Hell, you can do that with a Rebel. You turn an A7R3 off, and you turn it on, and there is a brief startup time that can feel like a long time if you want to snap a picture in the moment and the viewfinder is showing black. Likewise with wake from sleep.

There is another "pause" that's annoyingly long -- if you switch C modes (C1, C2, C3) there is a dumb pause of about a second where your subject disappears and you're forced to stare at a full screen of all your custom mode settings through the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Viggo said:
Startup time??
That sure brings me back to the compacts from 2002 ;D

Yeah, but that's because those old P&S cameras lacked innovative technology. Sony's cameras are packed with so much innovative technology, they have to be booted up like a Win7 PC. :p

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

padam said:
By the way, how the Canon mirrorless cameras work in that regard? Turning it off, then on and take a picture, is there a lag?
And is it true that they have effectively no standby mode?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4135715

I found that the M5 viewfinder will never turn off if something is in the proximity sensor.

Camera will quite *correctly* not enter standby, while proximity sensor indicates that operator's eye is looking thru viewfinder ... and any normal person would shut the camera off before stowing it away in a bag/backpack and not just throw it in the bag and complain later that battery is sucked empty.

On my (original model) EOS M i don't observe noteworthy lags ... despite being a rather impatient person.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

I see. Just for the record, measured startup times according to Imaging Resource:

5D Classic 0.1 sec
D850 0.2 sec
5DII 0.4 sec
5DIII / 5DIV / 6D / 6DII 0.5 sec
D750 0.5 sec
EOS M5 1.2 sec
A9 1.2 sec
A7RII 1.5 sec
A7RIII 1.7 sec
A7S 2.0 sec (I find this accurate)
EOS M 2.7 sec (Maybe faster with the last firmware, but they claim it with that)

If you put on a fresh battery on the Sony, it is way slower, and there is also a bit of a delay when waking up from standby.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

AvTvM said:
...any normal person would shut the camera off before stowing it away in a bag/backpack and not just throw it in the bag and complain later that battery is sucked empty...

Clearly I'm not a normal person, as I frequently put my camera back in the bag after an assignment and forget to turn it off. I don't worry about it, because it will shut down within a few minutes anyway.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

unfocused said:
AvTvM said:
...any normal person would shut the camera off before stowing it away in a bag/backpack and not just throw it in the bag and complain later that battery is sucked empty...

Clearly I'm not a normal person, as I frequently put my camera back in the bag after an assignment and forget to turn it off. I don't worry about it, because it will shut down within a few minutes anyway.

I almost never turn my cameras off...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

unfocused said:
AvTvM said:

Funny how some people think their behavior and personal opnioins define 'normal' for everyone. Well, funny isn't really the right word. Asinine would be closer, but the most accurate descriptor is probably bigoted (not the first time that's come up as a reference).

Personally, I do generally turn my cameras off before storing them, but I don't obsess over it. I did have one experience where I put my 1D X + 24-70/2.8 wrapped in a neoprene sleeve (LensCoat BodyBag) into a regular backpack with some other items, and later when I set the backpack down, I heard the distinctive 'machinegun' sound of the shutter button being held down.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:
AvTvM said:

Funny how some people think their behavior and personal opinions define 'normal' for everyone...Personally, I do generally turn my cameras off before storing them, but I don't obsess over it...

I'm thinking that the reason Canon allows you to select the length of time before automatic shutdown is because there are a lot of abnormal people like me.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

Holy smokes. Now leaving your camera on is controversial, hahahaha. 8)

I do it all the time when shooting out and about. Not on purpose; just, I'm done shooting, put it in the backpack, and forgot to switch it off. It happens!

For product shot cameras in the studio on a tripod, I neglect to shut them off all the time. They'll just go into sleep mode anyways, and so what -- a battery will still last weeks.

unfocused said:
I'm thinking that the reason Canon allows you to select the length of time before automatic shutdown is because there are a lot of abnormal people like me.

You're not abnormal. You're supernormal! ;D

Mine is set to 30 min, the longest other than "Never". The power draw even when it's on is tiny, as long as it's not in live view, and it has to be a really long shooting day for me to use up a full LPE6.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

AvTvM said:
padam said:
By the way, how the Canon mirrorless cameras work in that regard? Turning it off, then on and take a picture, is there a lag?
And is it true that they have effectively no standby mode?
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4135715

I found that the M5 viewfinder will never turn off if something is in the proximity sensor.
Camera will quite *correctly* not enter standby, while proximity sensor indicates that operator's eye is looking thru viewfinder ... and any normal person would shut the camera off before stowing it away in a bag/backpack and not just throw it in the bag and complain later that battery is sucked empty.

On my (original model) EOS M i don't observe noteworthy lags ... despite being a rather impatient person.

I dont find stowing in a bag is a problem. What kills battery on my PanOly cameras is slinging over my shoulder and the movement of my arm keeps tripping the eye proximity sensor and keeping EVF or LCD active. A real PITA.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

I do not really like how the Sony camera switches to the viewfinder and turns off the LCD when something obstructs the VF sensor. For example, if the camera is on a tripod, and I adjust or remove a flash transmitter, the LCD flickers on and off. It's made worse because the Sony Mi flash connector is a curse from hell, that's both delicate (there is a row of tiny, fragile pins at the end) and is very tight to remove.

It would be nice on EVF cameras if you could put on "high performance mode" and constantly power the viewfinder and/or LCD (with the option of just having basic information on the LCD, like exposure settings), and leave them on -- battery be damned. I like the LCD always on simply because there's no top display, and I want to be able to check what my exposure settings are.

On another topic, a minor preference I have with the Canon system is in Auto ISO display. With Canon, it shows the last metered auto ISO (in the VF, top display, etc.). On the Sony, it shows the current ISO if you have shutter at half-press, or it just says AUTO when you release the shutter button (or dedicated AE button) .

Upvote 0

Fwiw in general if I put mine in a bag, I try to turn it off (in the past I've occasionally had them take bursts of shots inside the bag if not), altough it's certainly no big deal to forget; when my cameras are slung over my shoulder, or lying around at home, which is most of the time nowadays, I almost never turn them off - and the batteries last for days at least (and maybe weeks) if they're not being used.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

You are all missing the point. With a Sony it isn't so much the user turning the camera on, but the Sony turning the user on. That's innovation. Once the Metabones is attached all rational connection with reality is over until the battery is spent... which takes about two minutes in burst mode. Yes, sometimes there are startup issues, but that happens to everyone at some point.

Yeah, stupid comment. You all already know that's who I am, so no surprise. ;)

Upvote 0

Talys said:
I do not really like how the Sony camera switches to the viewfinder and turns off the LCD when something obstructs the VF sensor. For example, if the camera is on a tripod, and I adjust or remove a flash transmitter, the LCD flickers on and off. It's made worse because the Sony Mi flash connector is a curse from hell, that's both delicate (there is a row of tiny, fragile pins at the end) and is very tight to remove.

It would be nice on EVF cameras if you could put on "high performance mode" and constantly power the viewfinder and/or LCD (with the option of just having basic information on the LCD, like exposure settings), and leave them on -- battery be damned. I like the LCD always on simply because there's no top display, and I want to be able to check what my exposure settings are.

On another topic, a minor preference I have with the Canon system is in Auto ISO display. With Canon, it shows the last metered auto ISO (in the VF, top display, etc.). On the Sony, it shows the current ISO if you have shutter at half-press, or it just says AUTO when you release the shutter button (or dedicated AE button) .

A kinda solution to this is to tilt the screen out slightly, in the latest ones this turns the evf off and it just keeps on the lcd.

It would be nice to have a true switch for them though yes

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015

Talys said:

That's actually a very easy fix, I've applied some LightDims to part of the eye-sensor, and now it only switches on if I lift my eye to the viewfinder, no need to adjust anything else, no more annoyances, problem solved.
And on the newest cameras it should be disabled when the LCD is tilted anyway, but this fix works perfectly for any of them.
I use a Godox TT350S, yes the hotshoe is better on the Canon, but I don't find it too hard to remove, just have to be turned the right amount (not too much and not too little).

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2014

Isaacheus said:
Talys said:

A kinda solution to this is to tilt the screen out slightly, in the latest ones this turns the evf off and it just keeps on the lcd.

It would be nice to have a true switch for them though yes

You could map the Monitor(manual) command, which disables the EVF, somewhere convenient.

Upvote 0