Here are the Canon BG-R10 Battery Grip, Canon WFT-R10 Wifi Grip & LP-E6NH Battery

Sep 3, 2018
hope you are sitting down with a very strong drink for the price
grip £420
grip with wft £1350
This was a MASSIVE shock so I've held off pre-ordering the grip with my R5 until I can find out what extra features it offers!

£1350 for the WFT grip and no mention of it in the live coverage. What on earth does it offer for this cost other than a much welcome ethernet port.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
This was a MASSIVE shock so I've held off pre-ordering the grip with my R5 until I can find out what extra features it offers!

£1350 for the WFT grip and no mention of it in the live coverage. What on earth does it offer for this cost other than a much welcome ethernet port.

More and better 5GHz: 2x2 MIMO. Not sure if that's worth the price difference. 300 for the regular grip is already eyebrow raising for me.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
More and better 5GHz: 2x2 MIMO. Not sure if that's worth the price difference. 300 for the regular grip is already eyebrow raising for me.
I'm just as concerned who will support wireless image transfer as much as the speed. Will Capture One allow me to tether over ethernet or WFi rather than USB cable?

Seems like an expensive option if the added functionality is only available via image.canon or some half baked Canon RAW editing software.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Clearly it is actually a WTF!!! grip, not a WFT grip.

Anyone who tells me to get a grip is going to have to buy it for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It already has 5GHz built in. So just a port then?
It looks like it has 5GHz built in, but that is limited range, the grip probably adds 2.4GHz for better range and a port...

Indeed that is confirmed. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._r10a_wireless_file_transmitter.html/overview
Wireless support has been upgraded over the base camera with 802.11ac/c 2x2 MIMO Technology to achieve transfer speeds of up to 867 Mb/s. Also, standard 802.11b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11ac/a/n at 5 GHz are options for compatibility with different networks.

Also FTP capability.

Upvote 0
Clearly it is actually a WTF!!! grip, not a WFT grip.
Anyone who tells me to get a grip is going to have to buy it for me.

Indeed. Ethernet cards for PCs are 10€, WiFi cards are 10€, so the price difference between the BG and "WTF" - grips should be lower than 1000€ - oh, wait - it is!

slightly

I very much would prefer the "WTF" grip, but certainly NOT at this premium.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Indeed, the "WTF! o_O" grip is much more appealing to me but no grip warrants or is worth £1124 + VAT.

I'm going to wait a little while and see if prices fall for the grips and see if support is added to software before purchasing the WiFi version over the standard.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Indeed. Ethernet cards for PCs are 10€, WiFi cards are 10€, so the price difference between the BG and "WTF" - grips should be lower than 1000€ - oh, wait - it is!

slightly

Maybe it comes with 6 spare LP-E6NH batteries. We can hope :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
It looks like it has 5GHz built in, but that is limited range, the grip probably adds 2.4GHz for better range and a port...

Indeed that is confirmed. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._r10a_wireless_file_transmitter.html/overview
Wireless support has been upgraded over the base camera with 802.11ac/c 2x2 MIMO Technology to achieve transfer speeds of up to 867 Mb/s. Also, standard 802.11b/g/n at 2.4 GHz and 802.11ac/a/n at 5 GHz are options for compatibility with different networks.

Also FTP capability.

I think the body had 2.4GHz too, but they probably have more space (and less metal/shielding) in the grip to make better antennas for better coverage for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Adding the 2x2 MIMO help get more throughput. 867 claim sounds like they support up to mcs9 on 80MHz bw. I would guess the body has same chipset with 1x1 setup (and weaker antenna), so it'd be 433Mbps and less range.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think the body had 2.4GHz too, but they probably have more space (and less metal/shielding) in the grip to make better antennas for better coverage for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. Adding the 2x2 MIMO help get more throughput. 867 claim sounds like they support up to mcs9 on 80MHz bw. I would guess the body has same chipset with 1x1 setup (and weaker antenna), so it'd be 433Mbps and less range.
It looks like it is only compatible with the R5 not the R6 as the standard grip is. But yes it looks like the 2x2 MIMO and ethernet port and the ability to FTP to anywhere are the main features.

Interestingly when you use the WFT dongle with the 1DX III you lose the ability to use the Camera Connect app for simple remote control.

Upvote 0
Was curious so I looked up my 20D's BP-511A battery; Roughly the same form factor and only a capacity of 1390mAh. Capacities have been slowly but steadily rising over the last ~15 years despite similar sizes. Seems like they could engineer in another 20% bump.
I saw the Battery back of the new LP-E6NH, 2130 mAH.

Upvote 0
I am a NEW R6 owner, and I am using the older EF 24-105 with the EF adapter. using it in past on my 7d2 was no issue. but with the smaller r6 Body, this seemed awkard to shoot. I bought the BG-R10 today and Man what a difference in handling I was looking to get the 24-240, but I will wait now. Thoughts?

Upvote 0