Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Feb 21, 2020
I like removing the 30 minute video limit, I record theatre occasionally and it's always annoying to have to attend to the camera between scenes.

Yep, the EVF is the biggest cripple hammer by far. If anyone has used the R6/R5 side by side the difference in clarity and quality is huge. So, the fact the R7 is worse than the R6 means it will be very crunchy and digital. I would love to hear from RP shooters how they find their EVF.
I use the M6 Mark II with the EVF which is 2.36m dots as well. It's fine for me since I'm almost always relying on AF, but you can't get a good feel of the actual sharpness without checking the LCD and zooming in.

Just saw the R10 preview video and the LP-E17 makes me a little sad. Together with the pop-up flash it's clear it's an entry-level camera... but for a much higher price.

On the other hand, the R7 looks like a decent upgrade for my M6ii, and I'll finally be able to use all the same batteries for my cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Pics look interesting.

Something I don't get:
That AF/MF switch on the front side. I wouldn't want to have it there.
Why there? Why at all?
If it isn't on the RF-S lenses anymore, then make it SW in the camera menu.
I would personally prefer a physical button for AF/MF, it's easier and quicker for me then going through the menu.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I was, and am concerned about not having a third dial on this body but I noticed that you can set the 4 way button to adjust ISO. I think for me personally if you could assign it to adjust the aperture it wouldn’t be a terrible consolation for not having the dial.

Attachments

• 2B60AA2D-5B66-4333-BF9D-0CBEF71A892E.png
    2B60AA2D-5B66-4333-BF9D-0CBEF71A892E.png
    922.1 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I was, and am concerned about not having a third dial on this body but I noticed that you can set the 4 way button to adjust ISO. I think for me personally if you could assign it to adjust the aperture it wouldn’t be a terrible consolation for not having the dial.
This makes a lot of sense now actually. Not a totally bad tradeoff for a smaller form factor.

Also, pretty impressed the R10 has a joystick. Definitely more than just a mirrorless rebel, I see it as more of what the 60D was to the original 7D.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I think it's time they put out a firmware update for the R5 then... why would the lesser cameras and the more expensive camera have no limit but the R5 and R6 are stuck with a 30 minute limit?? That's just nonsense.
Because there are tariffs that determine camera import pricing, and having that 30minute limit puts them in a different. Because its literally a software thing, they could undo it, but that may cause them issues since they will have then mis-classified the item they imported and sold.

Im honestly surprised at this point that every camera company hasnt just accepted that their digital cams are video cameras and just paid the difference to remove the limit. Especially since a camera with these specs has existed for over 5 years in the market (GH5, etc). The fact they are doing it with these lower priced cameras might be the sign they are finally doing so

Upvote 0
Isn’t the AF/MF on the front just Canon’s topical depth of field preview button with a physical switch for AF/MF that you would need to reach over, hook a finger on and pull towards you to switch from AF to MF? I don’t think that will easily be nudged. I do think it would come in handy for me when I am using a macro lens for non macro stuff and want to quickly pull in for a macro shot.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
With the R10 I was very impressed by the animal eye AF, it seems to be similar to the R3 focus system, but a bit disappointed in the small battery as the xx DSLRs had the bigger battery, but I guess they wanted to save that for the R7. I'm surprised they removed that 30min video time limit. I wonder if the R10 includes any weather sealing?

They also mentioned the R7 has some degree of weather sealing, but less then the R5 and R6. Will the 7DII users upgrade to the R7? Or have they got the R5 already?

Upvote 0

The above link has both the intro videos, of R7 and R10, with Rudy Winston that were posted, to be made private quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0