Here are the first images and specifications of the Canon EOS R and the new RF mount lenses

What the f can have 70+ layers. I can't even imagine. I've worked I think up to 12 or 14. But why you'd need 70? You really can't route those signals in 60, or 20?
Power plus feeds that need to be isolated. But yeah that is high. My only guess would be something custom for military where you only need a limited amount or maybe some communications equipment.

Upvote 0
Isn't that just the back end of the lens?

canon_5.jpg
Thanks. I assumed that was part of a deeper lens mount but on close inspection I think your correct. Odd that it's not colour coordinated with the rest of the lens however, maybe it's a visual reminder of the lens type being attached.

Upvote 0
Nokoshita has updated the specs some more. Looks like 4k 30p, full HD 60p, HD 120p for you video folks.

Cool - no 120p FHD - I thought almost everything is ideal about this camera and here we go - certain bunch of canonites will have something to moan about. Let's add 1 SD card of old tech and it is clear, that Canon is once again doomed :)

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
They don't fail at much. Again: 50% global ILC share.

Sony made a lovely little FF mirrorless market out of nothing. Now Canon will take its 50%. It's not complicated.

- A

50% ist still a fail if the opportunity is there to take and absolutely dominate an entire market and drive competitors out of business.

the opportunity was fully there in 2013. canon could have absolutely roflstomped Sony, Fuji, Nikon and the 7 mFT dwarfs back then with a RF mount FF mirrrorfree system and EOS M APS-C bodies like M5/M6/M50. virtually everything we are finally getting today was already invented and technically feasible back in 2012. even dp-af was already implemented in 2013 in the 70D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
  • 最高8コマ/秒(サーボAF時:最高5コマ/秒)
So 8fps normal, and 5fps on servo

ouch. 5 fps in servo-AF is on the low side. looks like canon marketing nerfed EOS R even below a mirrorfree 6D ii (6.5 fps) rather than a mirrorfree 5D IV (7 fps).

Nikon Z6 was already criticized for "only" 5.5 fps in servo. lol

but, it makes a usd 1990 price point more likely.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Pfft! Only 5,665 AF points!

;)

-6 EV confirmed, though...

Yeah, Canon even writes in their learning center article that it “potenitally has millions of AF sensors” I guess the keyword was potenitally ... but, it’s a very nice solution to just move the point wherever and not, like Nikon, where you have to scroll through hundreds of points...

Upvote 0