Here is everything that you need to know about tomorrow’s big day from Canon

Jul 12, 2014
If they did manage to keep a RF 500 mm f4 under wraps that would be very impressive. I don't remember a lot of rumors about the 2018 EF 400 mm and 600 mm updates prior to their formal announcement, but I might be mistaken.
Hmmm. The RF600 is the same as the EF600 with a permanent adapter. Under-whelming.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hmmm. The RF600 is the same as the EF600 with a permanent adapter. Under-whelming.
I think the person you’re responding too is referring to 2018 when the original EF v2 versions were released and the lack of rumors about it at that time. I assume the announcement just came from Canon with little build up?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I do not care so much about the announcement, which probably will not give us a lot of news, but much more about all the reviews that are already completed , but can't be published before the announcement. They will likely go online within less than one hour after the announcement. We will proboably see reviews by Jared, Kai, Gordon, the Northrups, Peter, DPReview and others all tomorrow. They could publish the reviews today, but then they would have to pay a lot of money to Canon.
If it is like past announcements, the first reviews probably won't tell us much -- just run through the features and a few first impressions. It will be a couple weeks, I think, before we get any in-depth reviews.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
Unless there’s been some type of major breakthrough in high ISO performance (or one is imminent or likely within the next couple of generations) I’m honestly meh towards this sudden influx of ultra-slow zoom lenses that the MILC era seems to have enabled. F5.6 is already stretching it thin as it is…JMO. Perhaps there is something else on the horizon that will help all this make more sense…there has to be.

Curious about that 16mm though…
"The EOS R3 is is The first EOS to feature an entirely new stacked BSI CMOS sensor" So likely its performance is different - better We all hope.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
For me there are still a lot I do not know about the R3, which I really hope the following info is released in the formal announcement or covered by reviewers of the camera:

1) What is the buffer depth and clearing rate?
2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds slower than 30 fps?
3) What is the flash sync speed with electronic shutter?
4) How good is the high ISO noise?
5) Are there cross-type AF sensors (I doubt it, but would be a nice surprise)?
6) Does the eye AF work well with normal eye glasses?

Hopefully, there are still some surprises!!
I have read somewhere that the buffer is infinite and reliant only on the capacity of the card.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
It looks like there is some conflicting information from different sources:
According to Nokishita, the microphone is coming out in March 2022 (vs. November). I wonder which is correct?

Also, interestingly the Amazon leak had a ship date of October 14th for the 16mm lens, but Nokishita is saying "late October".

And, it's interesting to see that two of the "ER" accessories are eye cups rather than straps. Three new camera straps was too good to be true!

1631547895699.png

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
The newest, most advanced, best supertelephoto lens ever just isn’t new enough? Can you share what improvements you would suggest?
If you actually new anything about lens design telephoto lenses have little to no effect of barrel distance of rear element. The design of the 600III is already redesigned to have most of the internal elements shifted rearward to lighten the lens dramatically (less elements).
Modifying the rear lens element to sit closer does nothing for super telephotos like it does for medium and short focal lenthgs when it comes to benefits.

if you’re mearly upset that they permanently attached the adapter and you refuse to spend the money cause they “cheaped out” you should actually try and understand why they did that.

• Haha
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The newest, most advanced, best supertelephoto lens ever just isn’t new enough? Can you share what improvements you would suggest?
A supertelephoto designed from the ground-up for RF could have numerous improvements, such as being designed to take advantage of the 11 RF mount pins, which can transmit additional information to the body and potentially improve focus speed/accuracy.

The rumors for the RF supertelephotos are very exciting, including:
- A very small/lightweight 500mm F4
- A 300mm F2.8 that might have zoom capabilities
- A 200-400 or 200-500mm that might have a built-in TC

All of the EF equivalents for these lenses are older and due for a refresh. Even if the refresh advantages are not dependent on RF design (for instance, it might have been possible to make the lenses lighter in an EF mount, but Canon didn't yet), it will still be exciting to see these advantages materialize for the RF mount, which they have not so far.

Additionally, it is possible (not guaranteed) that these lenses will be less expensive than the 400mm F2.8 ($12000) and 600mm F4 ($13000).

There are lots of reasons to be excited about new RF telephotos. Yes, the 400mm F2.8 and 600mm F4 are now available in RF mount, and that is great news! But it's also nice to see what options will be made available in the future, for the people who don't necessarily want to buy those exact lenses.

The 500mm F4 II (Release in 2011, $9000), 300mm F2.8 II (Release in 2011, $6100), and 200-400mm F4 (Release in 2013, $11000) have not been refreshed in a very long time, so it is exciting to see what can be done for these lenses with 10 years of additional technological advancements.

Having more choices to choose from is great for consumers, as we each have different needs.

• Haha
Upvote 0