Here is everything that you need to know about tomorrow’s big day from Canon

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone else wonder why Canon would unveil the R3 on iPhone 13 day. Seems like another marketing fail (8k/overheating in r5)
if you ask me.

Depending on what Apple releases the R3 could be just a blip on the radar.
why would a pro photog give a shit about apple that much. I dont get why people say this. is there a reason why they cant watch both or even get both products?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Great point, I do expect it will feel significantly improved over the R5, which was already a great experience.

I also hope that they have increased the size of it, since the eyepiece looks massive. Granted, that could be space taken up for the eye-AF, but I do hope they've given it a larger magnification.
If the EVF has more magnification but the same number of dots, won't it look more pixelated?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So true. But hopefully loads, then the R1 is here and BOOM! Near mint R3’s there for the taking on the second hand market. I’ve scored absolute bargains over the years (last one an A7RIV for 2000£ with 500 shots on the shutter) thanks to those more impulsive and way wealthier than me.
I'm never an early adopter, but like most people I love reading the reviews and fantasising that splashing out a small fortune on the latest wonder machine will transform my photography. It rarely does...

New gear can sometimes open new fields of photography, and can certainly improve technical quality, but it very rarely improves an individual's photography. I take better photos with my R5 than I took with my 5DMkiv, and I took better photos with my 5DMkiv than I took with my 6D. But those improvements came as a result of experience and developing better technique and better visualisation over a period of time, and had very little to do with the gear I was using.

When I do buy new gear, I always wait until 6-12 months after launch, by which time the price has dropped to a realistic level (Canon gear in particular is always overpriced at launch). It also pays to wait, just in case the early adopters discover some design fault or operational characteristic that isn't apparent in the early reviews. By the time I buy a camera it's usually already received a couple of firmware updates too, so some of the glitches will have been ironed out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Nothing wrong with the R5's viewfinder---I love it--but isn't it a little surprising this release also sounds like it has the same viewfinder as the R5? 5.76 million dots at 120 fps is the spec of the R5. Weird. I know it specifically says a "new" viewfinder, but a little bit surprised that at the price that the camera didn't get a 240 fps mode. Granted, this could also be a battery life thing, since I know using the 120 FPS on the R5 definitely drains the battery faster, and 240 would probably push that even more on a camera that many will be concerned about battery life on.
Yeah, bit disappointed in seeing the same number of dots and same refresh rate as the R5. This will be another area that I expect the R1 to improve on.
I was really hoping we would see something closer to the A1's EVF, especially at this price point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If the EVF has more magnification but the same number of dots, won't it look more pixelated?
If the Sony A1 is anything to go by, there would be an increase in the number of pixels to compensate for the greater magnification. I think I read that the Sony was slightly let down because the highest refresh rates are only available at lower than maximum EVF resolution, so hopefully Canon can overcome this limitation. I own R5 and 5DMkiv, and I still vastly prefer the big bright screen on the latter. If Canon can produce a really good high magnification EVF it would be a killer feature for me. The viewfinder is the window to the world, and the bigger brighter and more detailed it is, the better.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Looks like canonwatch got the full scoop:

24MP, $5999, 6K, BLACKOUT-FREE EVF

6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording.
Thanks for sharing!

I did not see any mention of a pixel shift type feature, or any sort of "resolution trick".

Also, nothing that struck me as what Jeff Cable was alluding to when he said there were features that we didn't know about yet.

We see 6k video, which a lot of people thought would be available, even if the Canon website only advertised oversampled 4k initially.

No real surprises in this article, but perhaps some surprises will come from the launch event and initial reviews?
The language was fairly muted compared to the embellishments and enthusiasm we saw when speaking of the Revolutionary R5.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If the Sony A1 is anything to go by, there would be an increase in the number of pixels to compensate for the greater magnification. I think I read that the Sony was slightly let down because the highest refresh rates are only available at lower than maximum EVF resolution, so hopefully Canon can overcome this limitation. I own R5 and 5DMkiv, and I still vastly prefer the big bright screen on the latter. If Canon can produce a really good high magnification EVF it would be a killer feature for me. The viewfinder is the window to the world, and the bigger brighter and more detailed it is, the better.
Right, so given that the press release says that the R3 has an EVF with 5.76 million dots and that the R5 has 5.76 million dots also, it's unlikely that the R3 will have greater magnification. If it does have greater magnification, it will look more pixelated.

I was hoping for something with 9+ million dots like the A1.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
why would a pro photog give a shit about apple that much. I dont get why people say this. is there a reason why they cant watch both or even get both products?
Literally not the point.

I’m talking about visibility. Day 1 of the A7iv announcement, the full time line on YouTube and most tech sites will be Sony. Tomorrow, it will be Apple, even when Canon is announcing the best camera they have created to date.

Most people with a 1DX are not “Pro” photographers anyway. Maybe aspiring, but not ft working

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Where do people get these ideas? As someone recently pointed out, the average professional photographer earns about $41,000 annually. The top 1% are earning around $70,000.

And, seriously, do you really think more "big whites" are bought by professionals than enthusiasts?

Enthusiasts are only constrained by their disposable income. Professionals have to earn a return on their purchases.
A bit low for the top 1%, in 2020 it took ~$361K individual or ~$531K household income to pass that threshold. But the principle holds – those of us in that top 1% make more that a typical professional photographer.

As @AlanF points out, enthusiasts are also constrained by their ability to carry the gear. To the extent that wealth increases with age, the ability to afford and the ability to carry a big white are inversely related.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Right, so given that the press release says that the R3 has an EVF with 5.76 million dots and that the R5 has 5.76 million dots also, it's unlikely that the R3 will have greater magnification. If it does have greater magnification, it will look more pixelated.

I was hoping for something with 9+ million dots like the A1.
Correct - I was speculating about the EVF of the R1.

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
A supertelephoto designed from the ground-up for RF could have numerous improvements, such as being designed to take advantage of the 11 RF mount pins, which can transmit additional information to the body and potentially improve focus speed/accuracy.

The rumors for the RF supertelephotos are very exciting, including:
- A very small/lightweight 500mm F4
- A 300mm F2.8 that might have zoom capabilities
- A 200-400 or 200-500mm that might have a built-in TC

All of the EF equivalents for these lenses are older and due for a refresh. Even if the refresh advantages are not dependent on RF design (for instance, it might have been possible to make the lenses lighter in an EF mount, but Canon didn't yet), it will still be exciting to see these advantages materialize for the RF mount, which they have not so far.

Additionally, it is possible (not guaranteed) that these lenses will be less expensive than the 400mm F2.8 ($12000) and 600mm F4 ($13000).

There are lots of reasons to be excited about new RF telephotos. Yes, the 400mm F2.8 and 600mm F4 are now available in RF mount, and that is great news! But it's also nice to see what options will be made available in the future, for the people who don't necessarily want to buy those exact lenses.

The 500mm F4 II (Release in 2011, $9000), 300mm F2.8 II (Release in 2011, $6100), and 200-400mm F4 (Release in 2013, $11000) have not been refreshed in a very long time, so it is exciting to see what can be done for these lenses with 10 years of additional technological advancements.

Having more choices to choose from is great for consumers, as we each have different needs.
RF version less expensive than the EF? I do believe in fairies ! I do! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why did you not read my post correctly?

I never mentioned professional photographers, who you apparently believe are all "one man bands".

I spoke about "business buyers", by which I meant agencies, large companies and corporations. These are the big players who buy professional camera bodies in large quantities, and these are the people who won't flinch for a moment at spending 8K (much less with bulk discounts) on R1 bodies.

Excuse me, but I not only read your post, I directly quoted it. You said a *business* buyer. It pretty easy to see how that would be interpreted to mean a single buyer who is in business since you used the singular "a." I'm not really sure what you were trying to connotate with the asterisks though.

Now, since you say you were referring to "agencies, large companies and corporations" perhaps you can point to the specific entities that you know won't flinch at spending $8,000 on R1 bodies. And, while you are at it, perhaps you can document how large that market is.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
RF version less expensive than the EF? I do believe in fairies ! I do!

I said that "it is possible (not guaranteed) that [the rumored RF 300mm, 500mm, and 200-400mm lenses] will be less expensive than the 400mm F2.8 ($12000) and 600mm F4 ($13000)."

This would be consistent with Canon (and Nikon's) pricing strategy for these different focal lengths.

What do you believe makes this statement on par with fairies?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I always thought that 4K with low noise at night is a good addition to a camera, but then I see videos like this that remind me that you can buy things like a DJI Pocket 2 for 400 Euros or so and the quality is amazing. Of course you can't mount your lenses on it, but for people like me who see video just as a bonus. something like those cheap walkaround video camera take away the need to buy a large camera that can do video:

Of course the noise in the sky and on the street could be lower and the sound needs improvement, but I wonder how much better an R3 would look. And can you handhold it that easy while walking?
A smartphone takes amazing videos if the light is reasonable and the subject is close enough

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
For me there are still a lot I do not know about the R3, which I really hope the following info is released in the formal announcement or covered by reviewers of the camera:

1)
2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds slower than 30 fps? ** HUGE POINT. Sony can do it, why not Canon**
3) What is the flash sync speed with electronic shutter?
4) How good is the high ISO noise?
5)
6) Does the eye AF work well with normal eye glasses?

Hopefully, there are still some surprises!!

You pretty much nailed all my major questions too!
I never hit buffer with the R5 so not too worried about this body, even more so if the file is really 1/2 the size of R5 (which pisses me off, should be 30)

Upvote 0