Here's the Canon EOS 4000D, A New Entry Level DSLR

I'm just curious at what point they stop making these old chips... still producing them, or old stockpile. I'm talking about both the 18 megapixel sensor and the Digic 4+ chip.

I thought that they stopped producing the old chips/sensors when they made new ones.

For example... don't they have any 20 megapixel chips laying around from the 7D mark II or 70D? How about those 24 megapixel sensors that were in the pre-on-chip-ADC cameras like the 750D?
What about all those Digic 5, Digic 5+, Digic 6, Digic 6+ and Digic 7 chips?

There must be something particular about these two chips.... they either have a huge stockpile sitting somewhere waiting to be used OR they have some old production line still chugging away that can produce these things very cheaply. I wonder which it is.

Upvote 0
It amazes me how they milk the hell out of these super old sensors and processors, releasing so many entry level cameras that are BARELY different from each other and announcing them as new.

And most people who buy these have the false illusion that they will be able to take professional looking photos just by pointing and shooting on auto mode, then be very disappointed when the photos turn out to be inferior to what they get in their smartphones because the phones do a much better automatic processing job to get the best out of the colors and dynamic range.

I bet over 95% of these cameras will see less than 5000 in shutter count in 10 years, most buyers will just be excited with their new toy for a week and then tuck it away somewhere.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
James Larsen said:
The only way anyone will buy this is if its like $150...

What if it were? :D

I mean, I'm curious... if it were a $199 DSLR kit with a last-generation 18-55 lens... would it sell in Costco? 8)

I actually really loved my t2i. Though, I had a 17-55/2.8 lens on it most of the time, hehe.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
This is basically a rebranded T6/1300D. Why not just continue selling the 1300D (while also introducing its successor) is anybody's guess.

mistaspeedy said:
For example... don't they have any 20 megapixel chips laying around from the 7D mark II or 70D? How about those 24 megapixel sensors that were in the pre-on-chip-ADC cameras like the 750D?

The 20MP generation seems to have been an intermediate step, as was the Hybrid AF 24MP gen. Canon standardized on the 18MP design, then made a couple evolutionary steps before again harmonizing their whole APS-C family around the 24MP DPAF on-chip-ADC architecture.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
I kept an 1100D over the 5D2, these cameras are still more capable than the skills of the average photographer.

The most worrying thing is if that black mount actually is plastic, I’m ok with the feel of the 1100D on a 400f5.6, but if that’s a plastic mount then other plastic lenses are pretty much the only thing that should be mounted to it...
Which apparently is how 99% of these bodies are ever used, but it would still be a shame to know that something that is so capable might be getting gimped so harshly.

On the upside if the T6 gets any good flash sales I’ll definitely get one, though if there is that much plastic on this thing it might actually be aiming for a lower price range and not replace the T6. If they are creating a new “super low” entry price model (which would be fantastic), that would bode well for the specs of the T7 (probably the non-DPAF 24MP sensor off the T4i/T5i)

Upvote 0
This 18mp sensor is curse. 550d looks very good for their time. Very progressive. But this sensor was surpassed immediately by Pentax, Sony and Nikon bodies with 16mp Sony sensor with +/- same noise perfomance but 2-3 stops DR advantage on ISO 100. Then Canon had to answer this. Also immediately. To do something new and leave this 18MP in the past. They did something new, even if not so good, but they did it. After 6 years ! But they did not forget this 18mp. And 8-9 yars later we see flirting with the technologies of 2009 (that were obsolete in comparison with competitors even in 2011), which are difficult to explain.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Sharlin said:
If I had to guess, this one might be targeted primarily at developing markets/BRICS. Not everyone on Earth lives in rich Western countries (or Japan).

Great point. BRICS is a very likely target market.

The cheapest DSLR bundles here are still in the $500 range, though. If they could bring that down, perhaps even in relatively wealthy countries, the hobby would be more accessible to more.

As has been pointed out, A t2i is still more of a camera than a lot of people to need to take very nice photos.

Upvote 0
Mancubus said:
It amazes me how they milk the hell out of these super old sensors and processors, releasing so many entry level cameras that are BARELY different from each other and announcing them as new.

And most people who buy these have the false illusion that they will be able to take professional looking photos just by pointing and shooting on auto mode, then be very disappointed when the photos turn out to be inferior to what they get in their smartphones because the phones do a much better automatic processing job to get the best out of the colors and dynamic range.

I bet over 95% of these cameras will see less than 5000 in shutter count in 10 years, most buyers will just be excited with their new toy for a week and then tuck it away somewhere.

well if that was the case than Canon made them a favor, because even if they bought 1dxII with the situation like you described they would get the same photo results so basically Canon saved them a huge amount of money, so Canon is a good guy here :)

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
If I had to guess, this one might be targeted primarily at developing markets/BRICS. Not everyone on Earth lives in rich Western countries (or Japan).
As a guy who knows how is that working 220 hours in month for 150$ in third world country i dont think that this point have much sense. We have now new 1300d Kit for 350$ and this camera have a metal mount. Maybe in future price on this 4000d will drop even to 300, but this is a territory of a very big and popular used gears market. And you can buy for 300$ something like 60d in condition "careful amateur use". And you can not convince many people that it will be a less reliable option than this plastic toy.

Upvote 0