I am the only one missing a Canon new 50mm 1.4 for years??

Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn’t hold your breath. Canon’s RF releases suggest they’re dividing the market into two tiers, a low-mid tier and a high-end tier. The good news is that the low-mid tier lenses like the 16/2.8, 24/1.8, 85/2 and 100-400 are very good lenses. The bad news is that since there’s already a 50/1.8 and 50/1.2, a 50/1.4 is unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As I stated in another thread about the "mid range primes":
Consider the RF 50/1.8 STM at the successor for a 1.4. THere won't be a 1.4

It loses two thirds aperture steps but performs optically better than the 1.4 ind sharpnes and CA, see here

One could complain about the AF, but I'd say the STM isn't bad

Upvote 0
Big fan of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art for EF mount. I would rather shoot this $500-used lens with a filter adapter and be able to exploit my drop-in polarizer and VND filters than have a $1200 f/1.4 Canon version that would likely be very slightly sharper but require screw-ins that I would realistically never bring with me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Soren Hakanlind

Professional photographer
Feb 1, 2020
Sweden
hakanlind.com
Please Canon, 50mm 1.8 is just for begginers and 1.2 is just impossible to buy, I'm waiting for this for years!! I am the only one?
Please Canon, 50mm 1.8 is just for begginers and 1.2 is just impossible to buy, I'm waiting for this for years!! I am the only one?
No, the 50mm 1,4 is the perfect lens!

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
Sigma ART 40 or 50 f1.4 in EF mount are the answer, for now, and unfortunately I think it will always be; Canon is probably not going to risk it with an RF 50 f1.4 because should likely cost half of the f1.2 and being just 1/3rd stop darker, very few people will spend double for a lens that would (maybe) be better only when pixel peeping at 200%. They want to protect the exclusivity of the L version. Surely they won't get 50mm money from me, I'll stick with the 50 Sigma until the end of my days.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
Sigma ART 40 or 50 f1.4 in EF mount are the answer, for now, and unfortunately I think it will always be; Canon is probably not going to risk it with an RF 50 f1.4 because should likely cost half of the f1.2 and being just 1/3rd stop darker, very few people will spend double for a lens that would (maybe) be better only when pixel peeping at 200%. They want to protect the exclusivity of the L version. Surely they won't get 50mm money from me, I'll stick with the 50 Sigma until the end of my days.
Putting aside the crazy high price of the RF50/1.2 and regardless how sharp it is.
For me the fact is it’s huge and heavy. As much as I’d like to own one I’m not kidding myself knowing it would often get left behind in favour of a lighter option.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Canon has seriously let down the mid-tier customer. I think its a folly not having a complete set of f1.4 primes the same as Sony and Nikon. Been a loyal Canon customer since I was 17 now 69. I wrote to Canon UK / Europe about this and before Neuroabatomist jumps in I ran Panavision Europe for 35 years including a stills rental business and the f1.4L EF lenses always rented really well. They were also converted into cinematography lenses in PL mount and widely used in the film industry.
Canon has been extremely slow in getting RF lenses out and you unfortunately see the reason some switch to Sony.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
As I stated in another thread about the "mid range primes":
Consider the RF 50/1.8 STM at the successor for a 1.4. THere won't be a 1.4

It loses two thirds aperture steps but performs optically better than the 1.4 ind sharpnes and CA, see here

One could complain about the AF, but I'd say the STM isn't bad
The STM in the RF 85mm f2 is awful. Optically it doesnt hold a candle to the EF 85mm f1.4L IS USM and the RF 85mm f1.2L whilst optically brilliant is extremely heavy and expensive for many.

Upvote 0